• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifelog doesn't track your steps without the band. It only tracks your smartphone usage,with zero fitness /sleep data without the band.

On-topic, I've tried out the Z2 at Taiwan today...and it's definitely a good improvement. Despite looking almost exactly like Z1, holding it feels very different due to how much more solid it feels. Plus that display... Sexy.

kudoboi

after using the Z2 for a week, the battery life is amazing. can easily last 24 hours with medium usage( using the phone for 10 to 30 minutes every 1 to 2 hours) or 12 to 16 hours with heavy usage( playing phone games for a straight 2 to 3 hours and spending 1 to 2 hours on youtube after with 4G).

The camera quality is crystal clear, a significant improvement from the HTC One M7. The Z2 can run any game i throw at it without any slow downs including those from EA and gameloft.

for today, i have been using the phone for 6 hours since last charged under medium usage + watching 3 to 4 youtube videos) and the phone battery is still at 80%

Ambient80

So we still have no real solid timeframe for a release, do we?

How unfortunate. This phone looks absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I suppose the only good thing caused by this delay, for me at least, is that by the time it is released I will be able to upgrade easier so I won't be too far behind the cycle.

~~Hasan~~

I have seen it in SG though, you can buy it there lol

may i ask what is SG ?

It went on sale exactly 1 month ago in Dubai. Should be at most major electronic or carrier stores. You could try giving Sony Dubai or the local carriers a call

i am not sure but i don't think this is true. i live in Saudi Arabia and if the phone was available in UAE, we would have it by now. but no i don't think the phone is out there unless some local store imported it. but nothing official.

darkwing

Lifelog doesn't track your steps without the band. It only tracks your smartphone usage,with zero fitness /sleep data without the band.

On-topic, I've tried out the Z2 at Taiwan today...and it's definitely a good improvement. Despite looking almost exactly like Z1, holding it feels very different due to how much more solid it feels. Plus that display... Sexy.

it's crazy it has a better battery than my Note 2

3200 mAh vs 3100 mAh

seen it in person in Singapore, so good, too bad I have to wait for about 1-2 months before it releases in my native country

XBP

after using the Z2 for a week, the battery life is amazing. can easily last 24 hours with medium usage( using the phone for 10 to 30 minutes every 1 to 2 hours) or 12 to 16 hours with heavy usage( playing phone games for a straight 2 to 3 hours and spending 1 to 2 hours on youtube after with 4G).

The camera quality is crystal clear, a significant improvement from the HTC One M7. The Z2 can run any game i throw at it without any slow downs including those from EA and gameloft.

for today, i have been using the phone for 6 hours since last charged under medium usage + watching 3 to 4 youtube videos) and the phone battery is still at 80%

Reading some of the user reviews it seems that the phone is overheating quite easily. Have you faced any similar problems?

kudoboi

Reading some of the user reviews it seems that the phone is overheating quite easily. Have you faced any similar problems?

nope. The phone only gets slightly warm when playing games. it feels cold most of the time over here. the weather here range from 30°C to 33°C so i am not sure if that affects it.

here is the current temp of my Z2

WygEIV5.png

After playing real racing 3 for about 15 minutes, the phone temp went up to 39.

longdi

Banned
The only overheating i got was due to 4K videos and 60fps videos. Camera will shut down after 1mins of each. No loss, the 4K result dont even look as good as 1080p bluray. didnt play any games yet.

My further thoughts, i think the screen response could do some work. i may have a glass screen protector on, but even natively, Z2 has a noticeably higher latency than M8 and S5. Sony will probably get this right with Z3, but one could hope for a firmware update for Z2.

The iauto+ photos are ok as long as you blow them up. i think cellphone photos may come a long way, but still not close to a compact cam like LX7.

The battery is still amazing. spent half a day outside surfing the 'net and taking pictures, and it was still 70%. my pal LG-G2 with kitkat was down to 50%, LG messed up with their kitkat updates to be fair.

the screen colors, really superb. i was a greatest critics of past Xperias' screen, good to know Sony nailed it with Z2....but you will need to tweak the white balance for blues and greens (add about +35 to 40 to them), it will tone down the red hues. reading neogaf dark theme, i think it looks as inky black as my old AMOLED GS2.

Im still not comfortable with the handling. It is a big phone, but not that bigger than S5,M8 and even Note3, but these phones feel safe in my hands. Z2 eats into my palm and i have great fear of someone banging into me. Sony may want to drop the glass back for curved carbon fibre in future phones. So far so good. im happy Z2 is a major upgrade over GS2, i see more people around me moving to Z2 and M8, and S5 sales will not look good this round.

longdi

Banned
Oh yeah, i love using the xperia connectivity function. With a one time setup, it connects to my pc using wifi, and the pc sees it as just another removable drive, so you drag, drop, delete and copy wirelessly! No need to remove the flap, no need for messy usb cable and slow 2.0 speed.

XBP

nope. The phone only gets slightly warm when playing games. it feels cold most of the time over here. the weather here range from 30°C to 33°C so i am not sure if that affects it.

here is the current temp of my Z2

After playing real racing 3 for about 15 minutes, the phone temp went up to 39.

How does this compare to some of the other phones you have used in the past? Temperatures reaching to 40' C after some gaming?

Thanks a lot for answering my question

@longdi

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Do you have access to the S5 as well? How does 4k recording fare on that?

Can both of you also please comment on the headphone out audio quality of the Z2? Reviews suggest that both the M8 and S5 have excellent headphone out sound quality (m8 being somewhat better) but none of the Z2 reviews have said anything about this.

Oh yeah, i love using the xperia connectivity function. With a one time setup, it connects to my pc using wifi, and the pc sees it as just another removable drive, so you drag, drop, delete and copy wirelessly! No need to remove the flap, no need for messy usb cable and slow 2.0 speed.
Can other android phones do that?

leng jai

The only overheating i got was due to 4K videos and 60fps videos. Camera will shut down after 1mins of each. No loss, the 4K result dont even look as good as 1080p bluray. didnt play any games yet.

My further thoughts, i think the screen response could do some work. i may have a glass screen protector on, but even natively, Z2 has a noticeably higher latency than M8 and S5. Sony will probably get this right with Z3, but one could hope for a firmware update for Z2.

The iauto+ photos are ok as long as you blow them up. i think cellphone photos may come a long way, but still not close to a compact cam like LX7.

The battery is still amazing. spent half a day outside surfing the 'net and taking pictures, and it was still 70%. my pal LG-G2 with kitkat was down to 50%, LG messed up with their kitkat updates to be fair.

the screen colors, really superb. i was a greatest critics of past Xperias' screen, good to know Sony nailed it with Z2....but you will need to tweak the white balance for blues and greens (add about +35 to 40 to them), it will tone down the red hues. reading neogaf dark theme, i think it looks as inky black as my old AMOLED GS2.

Im still not comfortable with the handling. It is a big phone, but not that bigger than S5,M8 and even Note3, but these phones feel safe in my hands. Z2 eats into my palm and i have great fear of someone banging into me. Sony may want to drop the glass back for curved carbon fibre in future phones. So far so good. im happy Z2 is a major upgrade over GS2, i see more people around me moving to Z2 and M8, and S5 sales will not look good this round.

Interesting comment about the touchscreen response time. Disappointing it's not up to par with the M8. Seems like quite a big deal that won't people won't realise until getting the phone.

Another cool thing Sony have recently is the Xperia Transfer, where you can instantly transfer all data from previous phone to your new Xperia. Meaning, when I pick up my Z4 (what I assume will be out by the time my Z contract ends), I'll simply use the app and essentially copy everything from old phone to the new.

kudoboi

I didn't notice the delayed response time actually.

The vibration is significantly weaker compared to HTC One though.

How does this compare to some of the other phones you have used in the past? Temperatures reaching to 40' C after some gaming?

Thanks a lot for answering my question

My HTC One and galaxy nexus gets a lot warmer than the z2 when gaming for me

Dommel

I've been using it daily now since I got back and I never noticed any heat coming from the device. Not even after heavy use (streaming youtube 4g for over an hour).

Like kudoboi said the battery life is really something else. Even without the power saving options I can't get it below 30% before the end of the day with heavy use.

I noticed that there's a white/silvery line of dots reflecting off the screen when exposed to direct sunlight btw, never noticed this on other smart phones. A minor annoyance at best and the only one so far after using it for two weeks.

It's really sad that Sony is fucking up the launch and a lot of impatient people will just skip it in favour of an S5 or M8.

Dibbz

Is it worth picking up a Z2 or should I just get a Z1? I've read the screen is improved in the Z2, not sure if it's a big enough improvement to warrant to picking it up though. Are there any other flaws with the Z1 that have been improved? I heard the Z1's screen is easily scratched, anyone have any experience with it in pockets with keys/loose change?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth picking up a Z2 or should I just get a Z1? I've read the screen is improved in the Z2, not sure if it's a big enough improvement to warrant to picking it up though. Are there any other flaws with the Z1 that have been improved? I heard the Z1's screen is easily scratched, anyone have any experience with it in pockets with keys/loose change?

I've had a Z1s since February, and I haven't noticed any scratches yet. Don't usually have keys or loose change in my pocket, though.

I'd recommend just waiting a bit for the Z2. The screen improvement, stereo speakers and other small improvements will definitely be worth it if you're going to keep the phone for a while. The screen in particular is not great on the Z1s.

leng jai

List the current gripes you have with the Z1.

GET THE Z2.

Even as a Z1 owner who rationalized that Z2 upgrades were not worth the upgrade, I had a few seconds of that rationality completely turned upside down when I held a Z2 for the first time.

It's really, really hard to tell from the outside, but the improvements of Z2 over Z1 is very noticable the moment you hold it. The superior metal banding quality that makes it more premium to hold, the glass front-back no longer burdened by the layer of protection, the superior screen/sounds.

Unless the Z1 somehow happens to be much, much, much cheaper, buy the Z2. Easily a top-tier phone.

belvedere

Junior Butler
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/xperia-z2-could-be-faced-with-long-delays/#!EAfYJ

Z2 ...expecting further delays for up to 7 months?
Did Sony just dropped the ball?

Yes get the Z2 whilst stocks last. Z2 is way better than Z1 as a premium smartphone. I wont consider Z1 at all even for cheaps.

I hope it doesn't turn out that bad, if so that really, really sucks. The Z2 is the only phone that gets most of the things the M8 and S5 get wrong but I don't know if I can hold off that long.

Vodafone have launch exclusivity on the Z2 in Ireland. I've been into three Vodafone stores now, two have said they will have the Z2 on the 25th of April, the other said they haven't been given a release date.

The two that said they were getting it on the 25th said they hadn't heard of any supply issues.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

darkwing

Man, such a disaster. Sony finally have a phone that could really computer with the big boys and they get hit with this.

true, in my country, they already released the S5 and it is selling like hotcakes

in the meantime Sony here is pushing Z1 and Z1C , when I asked about the Z2, maybe May or June lol

kudoboi

strange, last time I visited Singapore, there were units there but it is really sought after

Sony phones are very popular here. 5 of my friends have the Z1. It went out of stock since last week apparently and they have not gotten any new stock

longdi

Banned
Man, such a disaster. Sony finally have a phone that could really compete with the big boys and they get hit with this.

Thats how i felt about Z2 despite it being a little to large. If you dont like the plastic Samsung S5 or the HTC sensed M8, Z2 is every bit as good as them.

Android has finally matured to give us the choice of 3 premium smartphones to Apple's 1.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sony's almost the best smartphone maker in the land.... But they keep fucking it up.

thenexus6

Yeah its kinda dumb, if I had the money and needed a new flagship I wouldn't even think twice about getting the Z2 over the M8 and S5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom