• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

demented

Is it crazy to upgrade my Z1 to a Z2? Knowing that the Z3 will likely be announce in August?

I wouldn't honestly. I've been hyped about getting Z2 but as I won't be getting it before summer anyway and after summer some big new things are gonna drop or get announced I might just wait... We'll see, will be a spur of a moment thing if I buy it.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
not anymore. the Oppo find 7, LG G3 ( leaked specs) and Galaxy S5 Premium/ Advanced ( leaked specs) have better hardware than the Z2.

Good lord. As long as you're citing non-existent phones why not include the iPhone 7?

spwolf

I was just going to post this

The Sony Xperia Z2 has come top in the latest DxOMark rankings, knocking one of the best camera phones ever made, the Nokia 808 Pureview, into second place. The Xperia Z2 achieved a score of 79 points, enough to supplant the Nokia 808 Pureview at 77 points.

darn... i see Z1 was rated well there while Z was not.

Pretty big deal, this is the objective measurement test done with proper tools in labs.

leng jai

Sony have shot themselves in the foot with the supply issues. Probably going to get the M8 just because there's still no sign of a release date for the Z2 here.

XBP

I'm deciding on the z2, s5 and m8 I think the m8 is out of the picture now from what I have read the camera and screen seem to be the weakest of the 3 phones, so just leaves me with this and the s5

The camera looks decent to me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt425/sets/72157642908546733/

Is it crazy to upgrade my Z1 to a Z2? Knowing that the Z3 will likely be announce in August?

I'd say no. All phones released this year will have minor spec upgrades compared to their previous iterations so there really is no point in upgrading to the best flagships of 2014 if you have a decent enough phone.

Snapdragon 810 x64 phones are supposed to release next year so that would be a good time to upgrade, IMO.

vivftp

Yeah, I think I've decided that I'll hold on to my Z Ultra until next year. I am still curious to see what this years Ultra will be like, but I'm more than happy with this phone for now.

I swear though Sony, if you don't put the H1 flagship specs (and especially camera) into the 2015 Ultra, I'm gonna find Kaz and noogie him!

samven582

Is this thing going to come to T-Mobile within the next three weeks?

vil.gif

dannethmps

Neo Member

I'd say no. All phones released this year will have minor spec upgrades compared to their previous iterations so there really is no point in upgrading to the best flagships of 2014 if you have a decent enough phone.

Snapdragon 810 x64 phones are supposed to release next year so that would be a good time to upgrade, IMO.

I think they all look good it's not as if you would end up with a bad phone/camera, but there does seem to be minor advantages on certain things from each of the phones.

Gibbo

Z2 owners, are you guys having issues With the sensitivity on e double tap function? My phone almost never wakes up when i first double tap it.

kudoboi

Love the location based Wi-Fi which switch off Wi-Fi once you leave home. It greatly saves the battery

i want to buy the phone.where you people are buying it from ?

is there an online store that is selling it ?

It's has been out in some Asian countries for a week or two now

Z2 owners, are you guys having issues With the sensitivity on e double tap function? My phone almost never wakes up when i first double tap it.

Yep. It only seems to activate after 4 to 5 taps and only with the thumb. I also have a issue where the vibration motor becomes weaker for a few minutes after leaving it in idle or in a cold air conditioned room for too long

longdi

Banned
Xperia Z2 delayed in Hong Kong until June 2014
by XB on 08/04/2014
in XPERIA Z2
Xperia Z2Around a month ago, we caught first wind of potential Xperia Z2 delays and limited stock when the Hong Kong launch event was canned. Sony Mobile Hong Kong has today confirmed that the Xperia Z2 will now launch in June 2014. No reasons were cited for the delay. However, given that the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 launch this month, such a long delay isn’t good news for Sony.

The other issue for Sony, is that by the time you get to June you are only three months or so away from IFA 2014, which is when Sony traditionally launches new handsets and potentially the Xperia Z3. So we imagine that by the time the Xperia Z2 does launch in Hong Kong it will have to be priced reasonably keenly to attract customers.

http://www.xperiablog.net/

Delayed in HK! Inventory must be really tight, wonder which parts are insufficient? The samsung rams and flash perhaps...

spwolf

810 seems incremental to 805, x64 is just funny.

might as well wait until late 2015, when new chips come out... or wait until spring 2016 :)

Well if hong kong is getting it in june then that looks like a US release is far off. To bad I was actually interest in this phone, looks like samsung may get my money, good job sony dont complain about how the US doesnt buy your phones when u dont release them in a timely manner.

spwolf

I hate Sonys flagship 6 month life cycle.

i was talking about SoC cycle, not Sony... Qualcomm releases their chips every 6 months.
Even if Sony didnt release new phone, you still have others releasing phones like: LG... or HTC.... or Samsung.

So if there was no Z3 with 805, you would have G3 with 805 and Z2 with 801... G3 would still beat Z2. So whats the point of having inferior phone on the market? They dont operate in void.

If I am buying a phone in September, I would get the best phone available, regardless of brand... so if you are not in 6 month cycle, you lose.

XBP

810 seems incremental to 805, x64 is just funny.

might as well wait until late 2015, when new chips come out... or wait until spring 2016 :)

Wouldn't x64 allow manufacturers to add 4GB + ram in their phones? If someone has a decent enough phone e.g. Z1, i honestly dont see any reason why they would upgrade to a Z2, S5 or M8? Other than a few things here and there you wont really get anything different.

Plus does anyone expect the G3 or Moto X2 to introduce any ground breaking features? I personally dont think they would. Both phones will most probably be incremental upgrades to their previous iterations just like the S5, Z2 and M8 are.

So if someone has a decent phone (z1, S4 etc.), then waiting for next year's flagships would be a lot smarter, IMO off course.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
why cant Sony just say if its coming to the states or not? i want to switch to at&t but i rather have the z2 over gs5.

Gibbo

So Yeah- think my phone has the gap between the frame and glass which alot of people are talking about. Tbh, i wouldnt have noticed it If i had not read about it. I can see how it can be an issues in the long run tho- once dust start accumulating in between.

leng jai

So Yeah- think my phone has the gap between the frame and glass which alot of people are talking about. Tbh, i wouldnt have noticed it If i had not read about it. I can see how it can be an issues in the long run tho- once dust start accumulating in between.

The gap debacle is back folks.

Lucius86

Banned
So there are delays for some suppliers in the UK it seems - my girlfriend's company just told her it's not coming until the middle of May now.

A few competitors are saying April 14th...should I believe them considering other companies have put them back?

So i picked up the M8 since i really had no choice. No regrets. The phone is beautiful and smooth as butter. But now since i'm on Verizon Edge maybe i'll get the Z3 next year. Maybe.

Is there any place we can get the phone shipped to the states? How much is it? Sorry, I've never tried buying a phone overseas.

I've activated Lifelog. Sony now sees my entire life.

I'll give Sony that privilege for a week.Let's see how useless or useful this thing actually is.

Fezan

Still no release date for Z2 for middle east. Looks like my money will go to Samsung this time. Now to decide between s5 and note3

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Component shortages, though not really Sony's fault, really do suck

How much longer till the Z3? 5 months?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I don't think I can wait this long. My girlfriend and I both have an iPhone 4, and we're looking to upgrade at the same time. Our iPhones are both on their last legs - batteries hardly hold a charge, hers has a broken button, and we're just sick of them. We want to get new phones this month, no matter what.

I was going to wait for the Z2 but I think I'll just get us two Nexus 5s now, there's no telling when this phone will be available. Hopefully it'll still be enough of an upgrade that we won't even care about what we're missing out on.

Averon

Yeah.It looks like Sony is completely screwed with the Z2. By the time it's widely available, people would've already moved on to the S5, M8, or wait for the new iPhone.

longdi

Banned
Yeah.It looks like Sony is completely screwed with the Z2. By the time it's widely available, people would've already moved on to the S5, M8, or wait for the new iPhone.

ya so sad. they got the hardware right with Z2**, but they have not enough of them to sell!

i love my Z2, seriously wonderful battery life, with the same usage pattern as the old GS2, i have 50% charge left after a 14 hrs day, whereas GS2 would need recharges inbetween.

love the Z2 screen, very nice and colorful. GS5 may beat it in pure black levels, but Z2 colors are so much nicer. If GS5 is benched to be the best mobile screen yet, i would say Z2 is just as good.

(**)almost... since imo its tad too big

Burbank_

I am thinking about getting the Z2 as my first smartphone.

I have used an iPhone 4 for a little bit and thought it had a pretty bad music player. Is the music player software good on the Z-phones, and can you replace it with another app if you want to?

The iPhone 5 has this motion processor tracking everyday distance, does the Z2 has something that does the same thing using some app? What can the motion processor do that other smartphones can’t?

“Apple M7 motion coprocessor which can count your steps, showing your performance with the Fitbit app.”

darkwing

I am thinking about getting the Z2 as my first smartphone.

I have used an iPhone 4 for a little bit and thought it had a pretty bad music player. Is the music player software good on the Z-phones, and can you replace it with another app if you want to?

The iPhone 5 has this motion processor tracking everyday distance, does the Z2 has something that does the same thing using some app? What can the motion processor do that other smartphones can’t?

“Apple M7 motion coprocessor which can count your steps, showing your performance with the Fitbit app.”

recent Xperia phones are using the Walkman app, which imo is very good, you can just replace it with another music app if you want

pretty sure Lifelog on the Z2 is like that, you can also get the Sony Smartband if you really want every step to be recorded, since it is a wearable, water resistant etc... wearable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom