• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Source: Trust Me Bro] PlayStation Cloud Streaming Coming To PlayStation Portal!

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Although the source for this claim seems to be "trust me bro" so I'll reserve my judgement until there's official confirmation.

Last edited:

jm89

Seems like zuby tech jumping to conclusions like he usually does. The reason why i no longer follow him.

Last edited:

gokurho

source

clickbait article 😋
It's curious why he doesn't paste the source.
In the original interview, there is no clear statement about implementing cloud streaming.
However, it seems to be technically simple.

I have not seen more useless product then this shit, surly anyone with a half a brain can see this product is gonna fail, what are Sony thinking, technology is nowhere near ready for cloud streaming to be viable,🤦‍♂️

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Buy a mostly redundant product and sign up to their most expensive online subscription to be able to play games over the cloud with increased latency. What a fucking deal.

Sony? Doing something no one gives a shit about for no reason whatsoever and is a total waste of money?

XMvfuLF.gif

Tsaki

I mean the source is ZubyTech themselves, so not really. It makes sense that it could come in the future but this tweet is not it.

Edit: Actually this is Sony Interactive Entertainment Platform Experience Senior Vice President Hideaki Nishino talking and says this at the end of his Portal talk: "In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are only different in terms of where the server is, and there are no technical problems. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification."

Now this could be just him talking about local streaming but it's still in the same phrasing with the cloud. I should have read the whole tweet chain I guess.

Last edited:

jumpship

source

clickbait article 😋
It's curious why he doesn't paste the source.
In the original interview, there is no clear statement about implementing cloud streaming.
However, it seems to be technically simple.

From the Interview

"In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are only different in terms of where the server is, and there are no technical problems. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification."

Remote play is just the start. Cloud streaming will eventually come to portal.

Buy a mostly redundant product and sign up to their most expensive online subscription to be able to play games over the cloud with increased latency. What a fucking deal.
I don’t like the product myself but there is some use case for it, unless you like to take your PS5 behemoth + tv to the coffee shop to remote play some games, which you do apparently.

Last edited:

Elios83

From the Interview

"In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are only different in terms of where the server is, and there are no technical problems. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification."

Remote play is just the start. Cloud streaming will eventually come to portal.

It's obviously a matter of Sony balancing the expansion of their cloud streaming service ( for which the Portal would be an obvious great showcase product) and the desire to not let people find ways to avoid buying a PS5.
I guess they'll find a balance, cloud streaming will expand to Portal but the games selection will be curated/limited.

Why the fuck wouldn't you announce this when you reveal the thing? It was all anyone was talking about, what the point of the device was without it.

Ultimately, I think this comes down to Sony having a lot of issues with communication internally that lead to communication issues externally.

Internally, they weren't ready for PS5 streaming, but they wanted to release this product at a specific point in the PS5 life cycle.

They knew or felt like they wouldn't have streaming day 1, so they didn't want to advertise this as a streaming device.

Apple would have delayed the device until streaming was available and made sure people had the ability to stream on Day 1. They also would have ensured that the new PS5 Slim had PS Link technology built in so that you wouldn't need a usb dongle to use any of the peripherals.

This design language and ecosystem problems show that Sony still has a lot of obstacles to overcome.

It's obviously a matter of Sony balancing the expansion of their cloud streaming service ( for which the Portal would be an obvious great showcase product) and the desire to not let people find ways to avoid buying a PS5.
I guess they'll find a balance, cloud streaming will expand to Portal but the games selection will be curated/limited.

Sony loses money on the hardware sold. It actually makes more sense to sell Portal to people who will only use it to play Cloud Streaming and play their library via Cloud and buy PS+ Premium in order to do it.

They're almost certainly selling PS Portal at a profit, so it's a pretty easy way to increase your margins. I don't think a lot of people are going to pursue that though.

Roxkis_ii

I've played remote play and I'm not impressed. Hard to be excited for cloud streaming when local streaming is barely playable.

StueyDuck

Isn't zuby the speshal nick of the Playstation world.

Ie an attention seeking console warrior whore with 0 inside info and 0 knowledge

Last edited:

Mr Moose

However, PlayStation Plus Premium streaming games are played from within PS5, not from Portal.
What is the thinking behind this?

Nishino: The games running on PS5 are based on the premise of having "a certain amount of screen and a full set of controllers. We believe that offering this quality on a device that cannot meet it would be deceiving the customer.
Frankly, it is easy to put a check mark on a feature. But we would like to carefully consider whether that is a good idea, and whether we can really offer play without any problems.
In Portal, the only difference between remote play and cloud computing is "where the server is located," and there is no technical problem. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification.

Elios83

Sony loses money on the hardware sold. It actually makes more sense to sell Portal to people who will only use it to play Cloud Streaming and play their library via Cloud and buy PS+ Premium in order to do it.

They're almost certainly selling PS Portal at a profit, so it's a pretty easy way to increase your margins. I don't think a lot of people are going to pursue that though.
Sony is not Microsoft, their main business is expanding the PS5 platform to sell full priced software.
They don't want people to subscribe to Plus to stream games if that becomes a way to avoid buying a PS5 and its 70$ software.
If that wasn't the case they would be fully on board with a game pass like business model.
They will balance things out with baby steps like they have done with their carefully selected and timed PC releases.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The bad thing is that if you are at work, a hotel or somewhere... Their Internet connection is usually garbage... So they couldn't even play streaming video games properly 😐.

I have not seen more useless product then this shit, surly anyone with a half a brain can see this product is gonna fail, what are Sony thinking, technology is nowhere near ready for cloud streaming to be viable,🤦‍♂️
Must be tough living life with your disability to think. There’s so many use cases for this, it’s embarrassing to lack this small level of comprehension

Last edited:
I love how the thread title got changed because some people didn't read the whole twitter thread or look at the original interview.

There are obviously issues around the translation, but it does appear like the intent is to start with remote play but then to enable cloud streaming.

Sony is not Microsoft, their main business is expanding the PS5 platform to sell full priced software.
They don't want people to subscribe to Plus to stream games if that becomes a way to avoid buying a PS5 and its 70$ software.
If that wasn't the case they would be fully on board with a game pass like business model.
They will balance things out with baby steps like they have done with their carefully selected and timed PC releases.

Not all games are on PS+ in fact very few are. You can still buy games for 70 dollars or whatever the price is and stream them via the cloud with PS+.

I think you've misunderstood the feature set of PS+.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I love how the thread title got changed because some people didn't read the whole twitter thread or look at the original interview.

There are obviously issues around the translation, but it does appear like the intent is to start with remote play but then to enable cloud streaming.
I am sure its 100% their "intent" but like you said most wont read the actual article and take the original thread title as an announcement especially how it was worded

TrebleShot

I think this was mostly known.
When they announced the device they said cloud gaming wouldn’t be there at launch.

Most idiots missed it.

Elios83

Not all games are on PS+ in fact very few are. You can still buy games for 70 dollars or whatever the price is and stream them via the cloud with PS+.

I think you've misunderstood the feature set of PS+.

There's not much to misunderstand?
Sony wants people to buy the Portal on top of a PS5 and 70$ games as a companion accessory.
They don't want people to subscribe to a service to play games in streaming avoiding to buy a PS5 and paying full price for the games.
This is the main reason cloud streaming is not available on Portal while it would be a no brainer function to sell this particular device and there is no technology barrier to do it as we speak.
That will change in the future when they will feel the need to expand their cloud service outside the PS5, PC and Portal are obvious targets for the future. But it will be always a limited selection of games imo.

Last edited:
There's not much to misunderstand?
Sony wants people to buy the Portal on top of a PS5 and 70$ games as a companion accessory.
They don't want people to subscribe to a service to play games in streaming avoiding to buy a PS5 and paying full price for the games.
This is the main reason cloud streaming is not available on Portal while it would be a no brainer function to sell this particular device and there is no technology barrier to do it as we speak.
That will change in the future when they will feel the need to expand their cloud service outside the PS5, PC and Portal are obvious targets for the future. But it will be always a limited selection of games imo.

Do you understand that Sony enabled Cloud Streaming of your digital game library? Why did they do this? If you're on your PS5, you really don't need to stream your own library of games.

Even you're doubting yourself by saying, "This will change in the future"

Elios83

Do you understand that Sony enabled Cloud Streaming of your digital game library? Why did they do this? If you're on your PS5, you really don't need to stream your own library of games.

Even you're doubting yourself by saying, "This will change in the future"

That's precisely the point. For business strategies they're reserving the ability to do cloud streaming only for those who already have a PS5 but on that platform the feature is partially useless/redundant while the service is not available where it makes sense (PC, Portal).
Why streaming isn't available on the Portal today when there is obviously no technical barrier to do so?

Last edited:
Top Bottom