• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina Police shoot armed black man who was protecting his home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-cop-shoots-homeowner-who-called-help-n356146

A black South Carolina man was in serious condition Friday after being shot by a white deputy sheriff responding to his report of someone breaking into his house.

Authorities moved quickly to try to calm tensions over the episode, which occurred in the same county as the April 4 police shooting of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, and amid a furious national debate over police use of force in minority communities.

"We're as sorry as we can be," Charleston County Sheriff James Alton Cannon Jr. said in a Friday meeting with community leaders.

"What makes this even more of a tragedy for us is that someone in effect called us for help and we ended up being a part of him getting injured seriously," Cannon said.

The victim, Bryan Heyward, called 911 around 11 a.m. Thursday to report that armed men were trying to enter his mother's home in the rural town of Hollywood, authorities said. "It's an emergency and they have guns," Heyward said, according to recordings released by authorities.

Two deputies arrived and were told that shots had been fired and two black suspects had been seen fleeing the back yard, the sheriff's office said. The deputies went around back and noticed damage to a front window and a back door, Cannon said.

Then Heyward, 26, appeared in the back doorway, holding a .40-caliber handgun that he'd been using to protect himself, Cannon said. One deputy, Keith Tyner, told him to drop it.

Heyward did not immediately do so. The deputy fired twice, hitting Heyward in the neck with a single round, according to the sheriff's office.

It was not clear how much time elapsed between the warning and the shot.

Heyward was taken to the Medical University of South Carolina, where authorities said he remained in the intensive care unit.

Relatives and family lawyers said Friday that Heyward was unable to speak and could not move his lower body.

On the way to the hospital, Heyward spoke to an investigator who was wearing a microphone. A 20-minute recording of the conversation was played at Friday's meeting between police and community leaders.

"The officer did it, but it was an accident," Heyward told the investigator, according to the recording, adding, "I should have put the gun down, but I didn't."

Heyward also told police he had exchanged gunfire with two suspects who fled the home on bicycles, authorities said.

Representatives of Heyward's family said that the deputies at the scene were also wearing microphones, and found it curious that recordings from those devices have not been shared with the public.

"Just as that tape was released today so quickly to try to justify the shooting, why can't those other audio tapes be released?" said the Rev. Charles White Jr., a field director of the National Action Network and a cousin of Heyward's.

Those recordings could reveal how long Tyner waited before shooting Heyward, the family representatives said.

"We have no issue with officers protecting themselves and others when they have their lives endangered," lawyer Chris Stewart said. "But to not take the time to make sure you're not shooting the person that called you is a concern."

The family representatives also stressed that Heyward was clearly frightened when he called 911, and might not have known who was shouting at him when he stood in the back door.

"I challenge each of you to ask yourself in a situation as traumatic as that, what would you do?" lawyer Justin Bamberg told reporters. "Can you say definitively that your first thought would be to drop the firearm?"

Cannon said he did not fault Heyward for arming himself. "In my opinion he was doing what he had a right to do in protecting himself from these individual who were apparently attempting to get into the home," the sheriff said.

"We certainly think this is a remarkable young man and our prayers are with him and his family that he will overcome this serious injury," Cannon said.

But Cannon did not offer an opinion on whether Tyner broke any rules or laws. That judgment, he said, will be made by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, which investigates police shootings.

"An officer was confronted with a situation where he's dealing with someone who is armed and is in a position of having to make a split-second decision as to what the threat is at at that point in time," Cannon said.

Hours after the shooting, police arrested one of the suspects, a 22-year-old man named Thomas Zachary Brown. He is charged with burglary and attempted murder.

I guess on the positive side at least they seem to be taking full responsibility for their screw up. Though, they need to release the officers microphone recordings ASAP.

Valhelm

contribute something
And yet the same people who defend this think everybody should have a gun.

The victim was playing by their rules in every way possible, but he still got shot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

The victim was playing by their rules in every way possible, but he still got shot.

Better that ten innocent men get shot by cops than one cop get killed.

DOWN

Banned
The victim himself says he should have put the gun down and believes it was an accident on the officer's part so I can't imagine he thinks he didn't get a chance to do so:
"The officer did it, but it was an accident," Heyward told the investigator, according to the recording, adding, "I should have put the gun down, but I didn't."

Sad accident, it seems. Officers took responsibility, too.

bionic77

This is more of a tragedy to me than the normal murder bullshit for driving/walking/breathing while black that we have seen lately. The cops fucked up but that was a tough situation.

Valhelm

contribute something
Better that ten innocent men get shot by cops than one cop get killed.

It's pretty fucking awful. Although it's a tragedy when any police officer is killed or injured on the line of duty, that's part of their job. Police are meant to risk their lives for the betterment of society, which is why they're armed and why police organization is based on the military.

I can understand why departments would do everything in their power to protect the lives of their officers, but cops should NEVER be considered more valuable than the citizens they're supposed to defend.

"Charleston is not for n****s anymore." - my wife. Lol.

We aren't going there for a while then... Was talking about seeing some friends next weekend to show off our new baby. Not now... That place is hot.

This is more of a tragedy to me than the normal murder bullshit for driving/walking/breathing while black that we have seen lately. The cops fucked up but that was a tough situation.
I agree. Hopefully they'll release the audio tape that shows the cop waited a bit more than a 'split second'.

Kudos to both sides not blaming each other.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's pretty fucking awful. Although it's a tragedy when any police officer is killed or injured on the line of duty, that's part of their job. Police are meant to risk their lives for the betterment of society, which is why they're armed and why police organization is based on the military.

I can understand why departments would do everything in their power to protect the lives of their officers, but cops should NEVER be considered more valuable than the citizens they're supposed to defend.

I think it really is the heart of the matter in the cases we see with cops. Any fuck up is justified by callng out "officer safety".

At least between him being armed and the police being armed they managed to ward off armed men robbing his house and only the house owner got shot. That's a near zero-sum result and another victory for second amendment rights.

having guns freely available is kinda...
yeah.

i'm not sure how police can do their job safely and appropriately without killing multiple people needlessly every year. there must be so many cases of people getting shot like this.

Exr

I mean he admits to not dropping the gun so I dont think this was as malicious as it seems.

The victim himself says he should have put the gun down and believes it was an accident on the officer's part so I can't imagine he thinks he didn't get a chance to do so:

Wow, someone actually read the article and made a logical response, thank you. I fail to see what more of a response you're looking for OP, not including the construction of a time machine.

I can't blame the cop here, nor can I blame the man defending himself. Just a terrible accident. I hope he makes it through. And they both feel remorse about it as well.

bigkrev

You tell the cops there are armed men in the house

Then you approach the cops, armed, and do not comply with their order to put down your weapon

There isn't anything malicious about this shooting. It was an accident.

Exactly, sad accident all the way around, the officer had no way of knowing if the man pointing a gun at them was an intruder or a victim.

Yeah seems ok to me. Unfortunate accident but the police had good intentions.

The victim said:

Both sides are taking responsibility, as it should be.

Bodacious

Banned

Didn't he admit he didn't drop his own gun when he should've, and understood it was an accident? Since he's the one who got shot, I think I'll take his word for it.

Wow, someone actually read the article and made a logical response.

Given that people that have looked "less suspicious" to a policeman such as an unarmed Indian man and a white boy who was playing a videogame have gotten grievously injured to the point of paralysis and shot to death respectively. Is it not at the very least surprising that a black man, one of the most racially profiled groups in America holding a gun did not lose his life?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Terrible accident, wouldn't lump it in with the other race related incidents although there could have been to some degree. Most likely would have just as readily shot a white guy with a gun as a black guy.

Javaman

He might not have heard the cop. Most people don't realize just how loud guns are, especially indoors. Larger calibers even moreso.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know. when a policeman says loudly, drop your weapon, you should probably immediately do that while shouting 'this is my house I called you'

Nephtis

Yeah, this is more of an accident than anything else. They admitted they fucked up, and the guy admitted he didn't release the weapon right away. Given they were in a situation where shots had been fired, it's just a damn tragedy they got the wrong guy.

I wonder if he tried to identify himself as the guy that made the call, or if he told the dispatcher that he had a rifle.

I think the police dept should take on the hospital bills. Something does need to be done to make these types of situations not happen, but I don't think there was any malice or racism involved.

Droplet

Terrible accident, wouldn't lump it in with the other race related incidents although there could have been to some degree. Most likely would have just as readily shot a white guy with a gun as a black guy.

Possibly not, but we probably shouldn't read into it as race related because they were told the suspects were black and armed. Given no other identifying features it's not hard to believe that seeing a black man coming out of the house armed would give the officer reason to think that he was a suspect.

It's just really unfortunate all around.

Enzom21

Dash cam footage released.
Two whole seconds before he fired.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/11/cop-shoots-homeowner-south-carolina_n_7260830.html
It took less than two seconds for Bryant Heyward to end up with the gunshot wound that sent him to intensive care.

Heyward called 911 last Thursday to report that intruders were breaking into his mother’s home. But when Charleston County, South Carolina, sheriff’s deputy Keith Tyner arrived on the scene and saw Heyward exiting the back door, the officer mistook him for the suspect. Tyner fired his weapon twice, hitting Heyward in the neck.

Dashcam video released on Monday revealed that Heyward had only an instant to drop the .40-caliber handgun he was holding when Tyner confronted him. According to the audio, the officer ordered Heyward to "show me your hands" twice, but discharged his weapon before finishing the phrase a second time. The Charleston Post and Courier clocks the elapsed time at just 1.1 seconds.

MJPIA

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...ave-bryant-heyward-11-seconds-before-shooting
“Wrong guy, sir! Wrong guy, sir!” Heyward screamed. “This is my house! ... My house!”

Tyner and Powell put pressure on his wound.

For Heyward, everything went numb when the bullet hit his neck, he later would tell the detective.

Heyward’s condition did not change over the weekend. He remained Monday in the intensive care unit at Medical University Hospital, Bamberg said, and still cannot move his lower body.

Damn.
Hope he recovers but that doesn't sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom