• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole Will Let You Play As A Girl

Didn't they say it was supposed to be the same character as SoT? How will they explain that in the lore? Or did I mishear?

I dont care either way, tbh

It's cool that it's an option, tbh and might give incentive to play through twice if it ends up good.

Blues1990

That characters will react to you being female is the best part about this. Cartman and crew would respond differently to a girl than they would a boy. And it sounds like that will be included in the game.
I'm curious if this game is a direct continuation of 'Stick of Truth', as I want to know if we are starting fresh with a new protagonist, or we can bring the character we created from there to the new game.

Didn't they say it was supposed to be the same character as SoT? How will they explain that in the lore? Or did I mishear?

It's cool that it's an option, tbh and might give incentive to play through twice if it ends up good.

It's the same character if you play as a male but because you're not playing fantasy anymore, Douchebag goes back down to the bottom of the totem pole again, so it's essentially a reset either way.

It's Ubisoft. When's the last time they cared about lore.

BahamutPT

According to her phone messages (zoom it), Cartman The Coon calls her "Call Girl"? Which would make sense seeing the amount of phones she carries.

ltllvxwrxqrdasn9gc2x.JPG

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-will-let-you-play-a-1782305546
But then what will Mysterion do?!

El Topo

There was a specific section in the game where you had to infiltrate the girls' club, so your character underwent a makeover to go undercover. The joke obviously wouldn't have really worked if your character was already a girl.

Yeah, I think it's acceptable to not offer gender options if it doesn't properly fit into the narrative. This is nonetheless a welcome change.

There was a specific section in the game where you had to infiltrate the girls' club, so your character underwent a makeover to go undercover. The joke obviously wouldn't have really worked if your character was already a girl.
Not to mention the whole plot revolved around the boys playing this game and the girls doing their own thing on the side. They could have in hindsight added a tomboy that no one realized was a girl until later, but if that were the case some of the armor choices you could buy later would have gone from 'oh look at what that boy is wearing it's funny' to bad taste JRPG lol.

NoKisum

So wait, that wasn't Wendy in the trailer? Is this the trade off for wanting a playable female character? Because I hope not, I enjoy hearing Wendy call Cartman out on his bullshit.

So wait, that wasn't Wendy in the trailer? Is this the trade off for wanting a playable female character? Because I hope not, I enjoy hearing Wendy call Cartman out on his bullshit.
Nah pretty sure that's Wendy, they wouldn't choose a girl new kid in the trailer to look JUST like the more well known girl in the show

Archtreyz

I'm honestly glad the first one didn't let you play as a girl because I feel like the anal probing stuff would have made some people uncomfortable. I know it's a weird opinion to have, but with the guys it was funny. With a girl, I feel a lot more wouldn't see it that way.

Lol a lot of quick edits up there.

This is great btw, guess ubisoft didn't have world-ending problems trying to figure out what would the male characters do if your playable character was female ;)

Oregano

First post probably wants to add that it was sarcasm to the first post itself unless he wants to keep constantly quoted and derails the thread any further

Yeah good idea. Gone ahead and done that.

Going to echo what others have said in here and add that's good that they went the extra mile to change dialogue/writing rather than making it generic.

Going to echo what others have said in here and add that's good that they went the extra mile to change dialogue/writing rather than making it generic.

I get the feeling that unlike most companies who would just see it as a burden, Matt and Trey and co are relishing the opportunity to fit more jokes in.

Yeah good idea. Gone ahead and done that.

I wouldn't expect a lot of changes to dialogue, just here and there. For stick of truth they called you a generic insult "douchebag" and "the new kid" to avoid having to re-record a bunch of dialogue.

In here they'll likely say how they didn't realize you were a girl the whole time (assuming it's canon it's the new kid from the previous game no matter what), cartman might make a joke here and there but chances are they'll call you super douchebag or some variation of that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hm, kind of strange since I believe they said the player character is the same as the one from Stick of Truth. Then again knowing South Park's loose & fast continuity, they probably forgot all about him.

Seibmoz

Can someone confirm that if I pre order this right now on Xbox I can play the remaster of stick of truth right now. I missed it and was waiting for the remaster.

Seems Ubisoft is continuing to provide some more player character options after their lambasted reason for not having female avatars in AC: Unity. Ubisoft seems to realize people care about and are receptive to this.
Get rekt Nintendo.

EDIT: This was a badly thought out sarcastic joke.
Nintendo's been giving bad responses to this subject for a long time though, not just recently. This jab would be more or less deserved if it were serious, if only because of how out-of-touch they make themselves look.

Banned
Seems Ubisoft is continuing to provide some more player character options after their lambasted reason for not having female avatars in AC: Unity. Ubisoft seems to realize people care about and are receptive to this.
This is probably more a Matt and Trey decision. Ubisoft are just giving the cash. My two cents anyway.

Hm, kind of strange since I believe they said the player character is the same as the one from Stick of Truth. Then again knowing South Park's loose & fast continuity, they probably forgot all about him.

They'll likely just break the 4th wall, make a joke and move on. I don't see them coming up with a perfect excuse for it. Seems like a hassle.

Can someone confirm that if I pre order this right now on Xbox I can play the remaster of stick of truth right now. I missed it and was waiting for the remaster.

Digital preorders yes.

This is probably more a Matt and Trey decision. Ubisoft are just giving the cash. My two cents anyway.
Following Unity, they made AC: Syndicate that had two leads, one a woman.

It could be a result of the show's creators, but Ubisoft is making a more concerted effort.

Top Bottom