• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole Will Let You Play As A Girl

Following Unity, they made AC: Syndicate that had two leads, one a woman.

It could be a result of the show's creators, but Ubisoft is making a more concerted effort.
Someone might have mentioned it to them and they thought it was fine since the plot in this game doesn't seem to revolve around the girls being excluded from the game.

Jonbo298

Screw you guys, I already played as a girl

maxresdefault.jpg

Banned
Following Unity, they made AC: Syndicate that had two leads, one a woman.

It could be a result of the show's creators, but Ubisoft is making a more concerted effort.
True. I have yet to play syndicate. Looking forward to the steam sale lol.

No doubt all that backlash got to them.

Red Hood

Banned
I could have swear that The Stick of Truth had a male/female option, but apparently not. Good news. Every RPG with customizable characters should have a male/female option.

I could have swear that The Stick of Truth had a male/female option, but apparently not. Good news. Every RPG with customizable characters should have a male/female option.

In stick of truth you could dress your boy up in girls clothes, but you were a boy no matter what because the girls were doing their own thing while the boys were playing their fantasy role playing game.

Haha, that's pretty cool

Get rekt Nintendo.

EDIT: This was a badly thought out sarcastic joke.

No, it was perfectly fine. As a joke, it was perfectly ok. Nintendo has also earned it as a legit jab, as mentioned above, after their ridiculous attempts at justifying their decisions. You just had the misfortune of making fun of something with incredibly defensive fans.

Doesn't the game make you create a blank character from scratch? It'd be weird if the option choose gender was absent.

Not really the same thing as Zelda since Link is an established character. (Not that I'm saying Link can't ever be female. While I perefer pretty-boy shounen Link, ideally players would have the option to choose either way.) I just think the comparisons here ring a bit hollow since one's seemingly an aesthetic blank canvas presented to the player.

User1608

Banned
Awesome! May have to pick this up. Gotta play the previous game though in that case!

*Damn, chill, fellow Nintendo and Zelda fans.

Bakkus

Good for people who wanted that, though it's sad albeit not unexpected that people who wanted the same option for Zelda ended up derailing the thread.

Bakkus

Wonder how much of the script will be rewritten because of this. Hopefully enough to warrant playing the game twice.

Wonder how much of the script will be rewritten because of this. Hopefully enough to warrant playing the game twice.

Again you guys might be expecting too much. Replayability might come more from trying different classes, but combine it with a different gender and that's at least two reasons but I doubt they'd do something MAJOR with the dialogue.

Yeah, being in a situation where people would realistically treat you differently if you were the opposite gender to the point where it can break the story is certainly a legit reason to not include a gender option, though it's nice that they made sure to avoid that this time around.

Since you're canonically the same character from SoT, who had to be a boy, it would be funny if they had a "wait what the fuck weren't you a boy" line.

I'm thinking they'll either change things a lot if your'e a girl or make it a running joke that people barely notice/remember that you're a girl. With PC Principal involved it would be interesting if they made your skin color a factor too (ie he'll check his privilege and treat you nicer if you're a girl and/or have a darker skin tone.)

The first post made me laugh.

The reactions though. lol

Anyways, it's great that the game offers this. I'll surely play as a girl to see how different the dialogue will be.

Doesn't the game make you create a blank character from scratch? It'd be weird if the option choose gender was absent.

Stuck of Truth is one of the only games where not having that option made sense; the girls were a separate faction and weren't allowed/interested in playing with the boys cause they were dealing with their own shit.

Nice to see since that isn't the case this time you are allowed to.

Alternately, it would be hilarious if this was all a troll and what actually happened if you rolled a female character was Cartman not letting you into the group and getting an immediate game over/kicking you back to the character creation screen so you can make a boy character. Unlikely, but hilarious.

But yeah they did say in this interview that characters do treat you differently if you're a girl: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/south-park-video-games-trey-parker-matt-stone

G-Bus

Banned
Well damn, had no idea a sequel was planned. Some of the best news to come out of e3 imo.

May have to go back and play stick of truth. Never did finish my jew run.

Alternately, it would be hilarious if this was all a troll and what actually happened if you rolled a female character was Cartman not letting you into the group and getting an immediate game over/kicking you back to the character creation screen so you can make a boy character. Unlikely, but hilarious.

But yeah they did say in this interview that characters do treat you differently if you're a girl: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/south-park-video-games-trey-parker-matt-stone

Funny for a gag, but to pull it off and not cause massive backlash they'd have to let you in eventually.

out of curiosity...when does Season 20 air...i loved the last season

September apparently.

Haha, that's pretty cool

No, it was perfectly fine. As a joke, it was perfectly ok. Nintendo has also earned it as a legit jab, as mentioned above, after their ridiculous attempts at justifying their decisions. You just had the misfortune of making fun of something with incredibly defensive fans.

Not really. It's just a bunch of whiny fans making generalizations because ONE series out of dozens isn't the way they want it to be. Literally one. Can you guys even think of another Nintendo game that you can't play as a female character despite it making sense to be able to? Zelda is more of an exception, and even then it's questionable because no one can decide if Link is an avatar of not. The idea of an avatar looking 99% the same in a dozen plus entries is unseen in any other property in any medium.

But on topic, I like how they actually have characters react different if you're a girl in the game. That's a cool touch

Stiler

Awesome that it changes the story depending on which one you pick.

Can't wait to get my hands on the fractured but whole, really gonna dive into it.

Bakkus

Since you're canonically the same character from SoT, who had to be a boy, it would be funny if they had a "wait what the fuck weren't you a boy" line.

I'm thinking they'll either change things a lot if your'e a girl or make it a running joke that people barely notice/remember that you're a girl. With PC Principal involved it would be interesting if they made your skin color a factor too (ie he'll check his privilege and treat you nicer if you're a girl and/or have a darker skin tone.)

Is that confirmed? Because every one just moving in will probablt be a douchebag in Cartman's eyes.

Those ideas you're proposing would be brilliant btw.

Afrowhitey

Neo Member
out of curiosity...when does Season 20 air...i loved the last season

Matt and Trey are only doing 10 episode mini seasons now for Hulu since they bought the rights from CC.
We only get 10 episodes every Sept from here on out.
Hopefully with the Presidential election coming up it'll be a good one this year.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Matt and Trey are only doing 10 episode mini seasons now for Hulu since they bought the rights from CC.
We only get 10 episodes every Sept from here on out.
Hopefully with the Presidential election coming up it'll be a good one this year.

Source? Last I checked Comedy Central is still airing them.

Top Bottom