• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole Will Let You Play As A Girl

Atuin

I was joking... I kinda wish I wasn't first post now.

I didn't want to derail, this is a really cool addition.

Speaking of which, what is NeoGaf's obsession with first posts? It's always the first post no matter the quality (no offence meant) that receives 10x more attention than any other post. Sometimes the first two pages are almost 50% "quote first post and add reaction gif".

ReaperXL7

It'll be fascinating to see what the backlash will look like when Cartman treats her as badly as he does the male version if there is any.

Oh man, Wendy's character is named Call Girl.

Remember, the Stick of Truth was a pretty short game. I'm probably going to be doing multiple playthroughs as different genders and classes to see all of the dialogue differences. Really looking forward to this.

Really want to play stick of truth. In Xbox but not available to buy last time I checked

If you preorder SP FbW on xbox marketplace digitally you get stick of truth as a preorder bonus. It's only available as a preorder bonus at the moment unfortunately. The reason other retailers aren't giving away the preorder bonus until december is because nothing stops people from preordering, getting the game, and cancelling and essentially getting a game for free if they sent the codes early.

So unless you want to wait for the full game to be available I'd pre order now if you're on console. If you plan to play both and FbW at release then you'd be saving money in the long run.

Stick of Truth is backwards compatible last I checked. I know there are rumors that Ubi is gonna release a port for PS4 and Xbox One.

there's no rumors, there's a port for xbox one and ps4 that currently is only available digitally from pre-order bonus. It runs at an unstable 60-ish fps from what I recall when I played it this weekend but don't take my word on that.

MNC

I hope this game will be original instead of reuse every joke from the show. I still loved Stick of Truth to bits though, but it shows that most of the jokes already happened in the show. Stick of truth was basically one long mashup

I wonder how that will work. Dont the boys in South Park find the girls icky / cooties stuff? Id expect a playable girl in South Park to be with the sunshine club instead of the boys or something.

hg9CYkg.jpg

Henkka

Banned
I wonder how that will work. Dont the boys in South Park find the girls icky / cooties stuff? Id expect a playable girl in South Park to be with the sunshine club instead of the boys or something.

It sounds like the boys are going to treat you differently.

You’re saying that, once those characters are in the world of a superhero franchise, they’re hermetically sealed off from real-world issue.

STONE: I think John Boyega’s a great actor, and the cast in the new Star Wars movies are f—ing great. But there’s not really racism. I just don’t know how much racism there is on Hoth.

In Stick of Truth we got halfway through the game, and we had narratively come up with the big Girls’ Quest halfway through it. [The Girls] were a faction in the fantasy world. And then someone’s like, “What if you want to be a girl?” Narratively, it didn’t work. We’d have to sh– can the whole game. So we just left it the way it was. This time, we obviously wanted to add that.

But the boys are little boys, because it’s really a story about little boys running around. So they don’t care about [your character being a girl]? That seems weird. They always seemed to care about it in the show. Are they dumb about it, and they don’t know? So you’re in hiding? Or do they totally care about that, and totally treat you differently? So we ended up doing those things differently for different characters.

It actually turned out to be quite a bit more work. I’m also playing The Division – I’m not just saying that because it’s Ubisoft. I made the character look like my wife, just because I thought that was funny, running around New York shooting people looking like my wife. But the game doesn’t treat you that differently. The guys still shoot you. The game doesn’t really react that much differently. That’s cool for that kind of game. It’s been a funny journey to go through, introducing something that we thought would just be a cool feature. You’re a girl! But now they’re going to treat you different.

It's going to be 4th Grade Sexism: The game.

Cool. Glad to hear they're going to account for it in fiction. The structure of the boys vs girls issue is a very real thing in their 4th grade world. Looking forward to seeing it play out!

I kinda wish the main characters would have voice acting. His silence seemed a bit weird to me. But yeah, with no voice acting, a female option is a no brainer.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kinda wish the main characters would have voice acting. His silence seemed a bit weird to me. But yeah, with no voice acting, a female option is a no brainer.

I thought they worked around him being a mute amazingly. There's even a good joke about it with the girls in Stick of Truth. The game already has SO much dialogue.

and he technically does

It's Ubisoft. When's the last time they cared about lore.
Huh. The long running Ubisoft franchise I played cares about lore so much that it's sometimes detrimental to the narrative.

In any case, gender suddenly changing is barely a problem in a comedy series. Jumping from the male-exclusive first game, the characters in Saints Row 2 react to the now-female protagonist only with "did you cut your hair?"

I'm in. Depending on wether or not I can import my previous new kid (or how much data, if any, other than his look), I'll go for the female character in the second playthrough.

Unless it lets you import the new kid from the first game and let you choose, so then suddenly Cartman's all "HOLY SHIT YOU WERE A GIRL ALL ALONG?! WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Huh. The long running Ubisoft franchise I played cares about lore so much that it's sometimes detrimental to the narrative.

In any case, gender suddenly changing is barely a problem in a comedy series. Jumping from the male-exclusive first game, the characters in Saints Row 2 react to the now-female protagonist only with "did you cut your hair?"

That's fine for Saints Row. You can't apply that same logic to a series like South Park where you have a decade of character building and backstory to consider if you want to be consistent with the way your characters act. South Park's characters have seen gender in a meaningful way for a long time, so it bears addressing here. Can't just waive it off as generic "comedy." (At least not in a satisfying way.)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cool

Didn't really work with how the story worked the first time around considering you had to sneakily infiltrate the girl's club, but if the story accommodates it this time, then that's rad.

I dont even remember doing that in Stick of Truth. I need to replay it one of these days

I dont even remember doing that in Stick of Truth. I need to replay it one of these days

I thought that you got to the girls via another quest, but then they give you a quest to dress up as a girl and find out whether another girl is being a b*tch...games words not mine.

So they give you a girl makeover outfit.

That's fine for Saints Row. You can't apply that same logic to a series like South Park where you have a decade of character building and backstory to consider if you want to be consistent with the way your characters act. South Park's characters have seen gender in a meaningful way for a long time, so it bears addressing here. Can't just waive it off as generic "comedy." (At least not in a satisfying way.)

I mean, obviously the characters would act accordingly, but I think the specific fact that the gender suddenly changed - along with the hows and whys - could be safely handwaved away.

KingV

I thought that you got to the girls via another quest, but then they give you a quest to dress up as a girl and find out whether another girl is being a b*tch...games words not mine.

So they give you a girl makeover outfit.

It's like a mini game where you have to pick your outfit and the girls make fun of you if the clothes don't match.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! Now I don't know if I want to play with a boy or a girl. Either way, it's going to be great, provided it's remotely similar to Stick of Truth.

Isn't this feature kind of hypocritical with Mr. PC Strawman in the game as well?
PLEASE DON'T HURT ME. I HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP WITH SOUTH PARK IN YEARS
You can make fun of extreme political correctness while simultaneously being progressive yourself.

I'd recommend watching the last season, besides being great it's not nearly as black and white as its detractors would have you believe.

CamHostage

It was unfortunate you couldn't do that in the first game but it's not like South Park is something I expect to be super progressive with their character creation systems.

It's also pretty clearly a hardship for the development effort, given how many lines of dialog are in the game (and how many of them are being done by just Matt and Trey.) I would imagine it added a not-trivial amount of extra work to the recording process, even though they call the character "kid" a lot in the game. Kudos for committing to the role-player!

...Still, it's kind of funny and sad and and worth taking to heart that even an experienced team got halfway through a large-scale RPG with a 'robust' character creation system before somebody asked the question, "Hey, what if the player wants to be a girl?"

...Still, it's kind of funny and sad and and worth taking to heart that even an experienced team got halfway through a large-scale RPG with a 'robust' character creation system before somebody asked the question, "Hey, what if the player wants to be a girl?"

At least somebody asked it and it's now affecting future games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"If handled right"
South Park handling things right? lol
Should be fun.

Top Bottom