• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits and it continues to grow

MonarchJT

Banned
to the mods ( Mod of War Mod of War ) Is it therefore possible in this forum to counter to official responses from high-level managers or even directly from the head of the company if this does not show official data? I ask sincerely. For example in the same way as users in this thread as writing off Spencer as a liar or bullshitter is possible to do the same (since no evidence has ever been presented) about the variable frequency in the presentation that did Mark Cerny without running into preventive bans? Or contradict Sony when it says the PS5 is profitable ... you can go blindly and write multiple posts saying it's not true ? Is a true honest question. I think the whole community needs an answer to know how to behave in the future and to know how mods could respond democratically to certain positions., Thanks in advance for an answer

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
And bring up "seriesS on store shelves" isnt....

gnERFS1.gif
MS will be glad that stock was there after Black Friday. It's that many more they can sell between now and Xmas.

baphomet

And by the time their extreme generosity dries up, you’ll be hooked on Gamepass. Because the content pipeline for 2022 - 2026 is kinda stacked.

They’re happy to play the long game here. For every cheapskate, there’s 10 people on a recurring $15 per month sub.

Lol, I don't know a single person that pays full price for game pass. And considering I partner with one of the largest mom and pop game shops in the country, I know a lot of people who live for gaming.

At $15 I would cancel gamepass for good and never worry about signing back up. Exactly like now I may sign up for a month 2-3 times a year, and until they actually start releasing some new content I've played everything I give a shit about playing on the entire service.

Now to play all the Halo Infinite I'll ever care to play for that $1.

Hezekiah

Banned
MS has said in earnings calls that Series is their "fastest selling" console line. Keep in mind that there can be steep penalties for deliberate misinformation in these calls or earnings reports in the US.

So, even if we say that Series has sold one more unit than X1 at this same point in time, and we compare that to the numbers that Sony has released, things are a lot closer than the last few years globally (in the US numbers have been relatively close all along).
Isn't PS5 the fastest selling Playstation.

Without numbers it's impossible to be definitive. Certainly nothing concrete enough to be saying things are 'a lot closer'. Simply no basis for that statement.

FrankWza

to the mods ( Mod of War Mod of War ) Is it therefore possible in this forum to counter to official responses from high-level managers or even directly from the head of the company if this does not show official data? I ask sincerely. For example in the same way as users in this thread as writing off Spencer as a liar or bullshitter is possible to do the same (since no evidence has ever been presented) about the variable frequency in the presentation that did Mark Cerny did without running into preventive bans? I think the whole community needs an answer to know how to behave in the future and to know how mods could respond democratically to certain positions., Thanks in advance for an answer
I guess kretos wasn’t all wrong…

Murdok

People were desperate to believe 30m subs too and look how that turned out lol.
I don't know what one thing has to do with the other. Anyway, one thing is the expectations of the players, the other is the company's report, anyway this happens in both communities.

Loope

Show us the receipts then Phil. All you do is talk.

Updates on Gamepass numbers, profit made, and software sold are enough to shut us concerned folks up. Less talking and more showing.
What are you concerned about? I really don't get it why people get so worked about this shit.Are you an investor or something, what is it to you or anyone here if they make money or not, or whatever?

I just can't wrap my head around it. "Show receipts" and stuff like that like a company this size owns anyone an explanation, same goes for Sony, Nintendo, Valve etc.

sinnergy

What are you concerned about? I really don't get it why people get so worked about this shit.Are you an investor or something, what is it to you or anyone here if they make money or not, or whatever?

I just can't wrap my head around it. "Show receipts" and stuff like that like a company this size owns anyone an explanation, same goes for Sony, Nintendo, Valve etc.
Only for MS, Sony can show flowers …

Neofire

That's all the receipts anyone needs. They don't answer to you and it's not up to them to prove to you it's sustainable.
You are acting like the PR for MS, you are one replying to my comment but you keep putting the cape on. All I see is talk and no numbers related to GP.

But you(and the other individual hyping your comments up) seem to be in your feelings about what I and others have said about MS saying GP is profitable but not showing. Until they do I will remain critical.

MonarchJT

Banned
Show us the receipts then Phil. All you do is talk.

Updates on Gamepass numbers, profit made, and software sold are enough to shut us concerned folks up. Less talking and more showing.
why he should ? you think that he or Ms care about ur (I'm talking in general not to you in person) judgement as economist expert ? I repeat there are millions of circumstances where these companies do not show the numbers or the facts I don't understand the obsession with certain data and the solid faith that arises in words in other circumstances.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You are acting like the PR for MS, you are one replying to my comment but you keep putting the cape on. All I see is talk and no numbers related to GP.

But you(and the other individual hyping your comments up) seem to be in your feelings about what I and others have said about MS saying GP is profitable but not showing. Until they do I will remain critical.
So going forward, if JR says GoW sold 10 million we shouldn't believe him unless he shows a sales breakdown by region? Or do we just take his word for it?

Edit: I don't have time for this, need to get my work done so I can get home and play Halo. Remain critical all you want, it doesn't change anything.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Without numbers it's impossible to be definitive. Certainly nothing concrete enough to be saying things are 'a lot closer'. Simply no basis for that statement.
It was for a minute, but is now behind PS4 sales at this same moment in time (due to component supply issues obviously). And that's from Sony direct. Thus we have a lot of numbers from this point in time in the X1/PS4 gen to extrapolate from. I'm not saying Xbox is killing it in comparison to the start of the X1 gen, I'm saying they are killing it in comparison to the last few years of the X1 gen.

kingfey

Banned
to the mods ( Mod of War Mod of War ) Is it therefore possible in this forum to counter to official responses from high-level managers or even directly from the head of the company if this does not show official data? I ask sincerely. For example in the same way as users in this thread as writing off Spencer as a liar or bullshitter is possible to do the same (since no evidence has ever been presented) about the variable frequency in the presentation that did Mark Cerny without running into preventive bans? Or contradict Sony when it says the PS5 is profitable ... you can go blindly and write multiple posts saying it's not true ? Is a true honest question. I think the whole community needs an answer to know how to behave in the future and to know how mods could respond democratically to certain positions., Thanks in advance for an answer
That kind of rule makes the site not good place to talk.

People here have some freedom. Going that far, will make people go to resetera.

Even if they are wrong, i will still like them to have the voice to share their opinion, without silencing them.

Hezekiah

Banned
It was for a minute, but is now behind PS4 sales at this same moment in time (due to component supply issues obviously). And that's from Sony direct. Thus we have a lot of numbers from this point in time in the X1/PS4 gen to extrapolate from. I'm not saying Xbox is killing it in comparison to the start of the X1 gen, I'm saying they are killing it in comparison to the last few years of the X1 gen.
I don't think they are, and if they were we'd be hearing something much more concrete.

Overall though it's guesswork because we only have half the picture.

kingfey

Banned

Wasnt this their console? Same as how ps5 is the fastest for his family.

MonarchJT

Banned
That kind of rule makes the site not good place to talk.

People here have some freedom. Going that far, will make people go to resetera.

Even if they are wrong, i will still like them to have the voice to share their opinion, without silencing them.
in fact I'm not asking for some restrictions but i want be sure that the same rule are applied to the whole range of circumstances where we find ourselves having to believe (or not) the only words that are shown to us. and Cerny's presentation was a good example as is the profitability of the PS5 claimed by Sony (obviously also the gamepass profitability data)
Can we call bullshitter Cerny as we doing with Spencer just because we don't personally trust them? is this the point

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't think they are, and if they were we'd be hearing something much more concrete.

Overall though it's guesswork because we only have half the picture.

We do have concrete statements that Xbox series is MS's fastest selling console line as of that last report, so that takes us back to a period where Xbox was more competitive. If Series sales were more in line with X1X launch numbers and the later years of last gen, MS wouldn't be anywhere near X1 launch numbers and would not claim as such.

kingfey

Banned
in fact I'm not asking for some restrictions but i want be sure that the same rule are applied to the whole range of circumstances where we find ourselves having to believe (or not) the only words that are shown to us. and Cerny's presentation was a good example as is the profitability of the PS5 claimed by Sony (obviously also the gamepass profitability data)
Look at the key point. "ps5". Gamepass doesnt have that privilege. Since the word "ps5" will create console war.

mejin

You basically want GAF to be an Xbox echochamber.

Loope

Lol, I don't know a single person that pays full price for game pass. And considering I partner with one of the largest mom and pop game shops in the country, I know a lot of people who live for gaming.

At $15 I would cancel gamepass for good and never worry about signing back up. Exactly like now I may sign up for a month 2-3 times a year, and until they actually start releasing some new content I've played everything I give a shit about playing on the entire service.

Now to play all the Halo Infinite I'll ever care to play for that $1.
oh now we have anedoctal evidence. This just keeps getting better. What he said is not off the mark, this kind of business thrives on it. You loose some of the people like yourself and your group of friends, but in the end you'll get a lot more paying those 15$. Same with Netflix, Spotify etc.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Everyone I see talk about game pass says they have their accounts paid up for like 3 years and spent next to nothing. Do the majority of game pass subscribers even pay monthly for this right now?

No, phil Spencer literally went wround to everyones house and gave it way.

Or most people spent a lump sum on a subscription, because thats what attracks people to subscriptions.....

Loope

Everyone I see talk about game pass says they have their accounts paid up for like 3 years and spent next to nothing. Do the majority of game pass subscribers even pay monthly for this right now?
I don't have GP, two of my friends do and they pay the 15$. Where does that leave us? Where is the proof that the majority of people are paying 1$/month?

DaGwaphics

On an enthusiast forum, that may be true. In a broader sense, MS probably has a lot more full price customers than you think. Same with Sony and PS+, judging from here alone everyone on that service reups on a sale or off of CDkeys for half price or less, but I'm sure that Sony has tons of users just recurring via CC at full price for whatever term they signed up with.

Last edited:
On an enthusiast forum, that may be true. In a broader sense, MS probably has a lot more full price customers than you think. Same with Sony and PS+, judging from here alone everyone on that service probably reups on a sale or off of CDkeys for half price or less, but I'm sure that Sony has tons of users just recurring via CC at full price for whatever term they signed up with.
A look at Amazon shows that most people buy the one month cards for a stupidly high price (like 10 bucks for one month of PS+). That's the point of a subscription, you pay as little money up front as possible.

Chukhopops

This is called Schrodinger’s subscription: no one pays anything for it but at the same time it’s really bad value compared to buying games. Also it’s doing poor numbers but at the same time it’s killing game sales because everyone has it.

Stuart360

I have to say that even with the new console war rules on here (which have been great so far), its a shame to see so much salt and warring go unpunished in numerous Xbox related threads lately.
Mods please dont let the forum slip back to shit. Use Xbox threads for culling lol, nothing will be missed.

DaGwaphics

A look at Amazon shows that most people buy the one month cards for a stupidly high price (like 10 bucks for one month of PS+). That's the point of a subscription, you pay as little money up front as possible.

I know. That's always been the craziest to me with the Xbox Live subs too. With the yearly option available at such a good price, who is buying those one month subs. A question for the ages.

But I'm sure a bunch are just recurring off CC at those high monthly prices too.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

MonarchJT

Banned
This is called Schrodinger’s subscription: no one pays anything for it but at the same time it’s really bad value compared to buying games. Also it’s doing poor numbers but at the same time it’s killing game sales because everyone has it.
i feel that probably I'm the only one paying everything for you guys !

Top Bottom