• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-man 2 leaked gameplay

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just had a little skim. A wee toe tip.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Dope.

TrippleA345

37:45-39:50
Free swinging around the world, and it does look outstanding.
Didnt played the first game, just not interested in Spiderman, but the scenes in the beginning with the Big Fight and the free swinging got me excited.
good job by insomniac again.

Graphically it looks stunning, very densely populated everywhere, and seamless transitions (super fast loading) everywhere. New reflections on water look super nice. The speed is increased too.

I actually can't wait to try that game with 0% web assist. That looks fun!

Last edited:
I must be totally out of touch with the average gamer tastes but how can anyone find that 25 min boss battle remotely funny to play

QTE -> "Spectacular" non playable scene -> QTE -> kill a few ads (funniest part actually) -> QTE -> non playable scene -> Repeat

Last edited:
I must be totally out of touch with the average gamer tastes but how can anyone find that 25 min boss battle remotely funny to play

QTE -> "Spectacular" non playable scene -> QTE -> kill a few ads (funniest part actually) -> QTE -> non playable scene -> Repeat
Different boss has different fight.
We've already seen Lizzard boss fight which is more traditional

nemiroff

Gold Member
Bought the first game on PC and hated it. But this one looks more refined and more fun (except the long boss fight in the beginning which looked tedious AF).

For a lot of people, that's jaw dropping experience.

Saw it in Final Fantasy 16 thread.

It's a taste thing really. You enjoy it till you are over it.

GymWolf

Nah, it's not only you.

I prefer classic boss fights against humanoids aswell, less qte spectacle and more gameplay substance.

But free flow combat is shit for boss encounters so they have to find a way to spice things up.

I mean it looks good, but WTF, how can you judge a game like this without even playing it? Ridiculous.
same way that i predicted 84 for Starfield and 84 for Forza after seeing gameplay. It's a combination of experience of these things and anecdotal analysis... in other words, gut instinct. i.e. I don't need to play a game to make a prediction, that's why every fucking game has a prediction thread.

Taycan77

Not a Marvel or superhero fan, but enjoyed the original Spider-Man. Didn’t play Miles Morales as I was burnt out on open-world games. Also disappointed it was cross-gen.

But this being PS5 only I’m quite intrigued. However, I may still hold out for the inevitable PS5 Pro version.

Jakk

same way that i predicted 84 for Starfield and 84 for Forza after seeing gameplay. It's a combination of experience of these things and anecdotal analysis... in other words, gut instinct. i.e. I don't need to play a game to make a prediction, that's why every fucking game has a prediction thread.
I'm not saying you can't predict a score, but I think it's ridiculous to say you will be shocked if it scores 92 or less. Those are average scores, what in the footage makes you think 93-94 is plausible and 92 suddenly isn't?
And when you look at most of the bigger games from well-known studios, average scores in the 80-90 range are quite common, so predicting 85-ish for such games is a pretty safe bet.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you can't predict a score, but I think it's ridiculous to say you will be shocked if it scores 92 or less. Those are average scores, what in the footage makes you think 93-94 is plausible and 92 suddenly isn't?
And when you look at most of the bigger games from well-known studios, average scores in the 80-90 range are quite common, so predicting 85-ish for such games is a pretty safe bet.
The game looks absolutely stunning. Model quality, animation quality, voice acting, set-piece design, sound design, combat, traversal. Everything is a major step up from the first game. It's Sony's tent-pole release for the calendar year and sequel to their most successful game ever; it's Insomniac who are firing on all cylinders with it being their 3rd/4th PS5 game, their 2nd PS5-exclusive game. It's Spider-Man. Reviews copies were sent out early, which means the game is actually complete and fully tested. Sony have solid internal processes from years of releasing banger after banger and simply know what it takes to produce a good-great game and how to achieve a high score and the willingness to delay a game until it has reached its potential. The potential of this game [to me] is in the 92-94% range when taking in all the factors and anything less than that would be considered a failure [to me]. I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible for SM2 to score less than 92, but I'm saying with the amount riding on it, I'd be surprised. It's not Microsoft we're talking about here, who don't seem to give a shit whatsoever.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A leaked gameplay for a game that has a official 10 minute close to release gameplay!? Yay

Jakk

The game looks absolutely stunning. Model quality, animation quality, voice acting, set-piece design, sound design, combat, traversal. Everything is a major step up from the first game. It's Sony's tent-pole release for the calendar year and sequel to their most successful game ever; it's Insomniac who are firing on all cylinders with it being their 3rd/4th PS5 game, their 2nd PS5-exclusive game. It's Spider-Man. Reviews copies were sent out early, which means the game is actually complete and fully tested. Sony have solid internal processes from years of releasing banger after banger and simply know what it takes to produce a good-great game and how to achieve a high score and the willingness to delay a game until it has reached its potential. The potential of this game [to me] is in the 92-94% range when taking in all the factors and anything less than that would be considered a failure [to me]. I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible for SM2 to score less than 92, but I'm saying with the amount riding on it, I'd be surprised. It's not Microsoft we're talking about here, who don't seem to give a shit whatsoever.
Fair enough, I guess we'll see on Monday. I personally think it's going to be high 80s, like the first one. Sure, it is an improvement, but I haven't really seen any major step ups which would make me hyped. That being said, I was never a huge Spider-Man fan, so maybe that's a factor as well. Despite that, I bought the first one at launch, because it was something fresh and I enjoyed it. I'm probably going to wait a while before getting this one, though. As for the review copies being sent out early, the same happened with Starfield.

Hugare

I loved the first game, but this seems like an expansion pack

Sony games are playing so safe. Horizon was a safe sequel, Ragnarok was a safe sequel, and now this

I swear to God, if Ghost of Tsushima 2 ends up being the same thing, only with slightly better graphics + "you have a faster horse now" ...

Say what you want about TLOU 2, but that was not a safe sequel. Story took risks, huge campaign in a new setting with new characters, different tone and etc.

Graphics are not impressive at all. I'm currently playing Phantom Liberty on my PS5, and comparing Idris Elba's character model to Miles, they are a generation apart.

I expected much more from a Sony first party studio

Last edited:

Sony games are playing so safe. Horizon was a safe sequel, Ragnarok was a safe sequel, and now this

I swear to God, if Ghost of Tsushima 2 ends up being the same thing, only with slightly better graphics + "you have a faster horse now" ...

Say what you want about TLOU 2, but that was not a safe sequel. Story took risks, huge campaign in a new setting with new characters, different tone and etc.

Graphics are not impressive at all. I'm currently playing Phantom Liberty on my PS5, and comparing Idris Elba's character model to Miles, they are a generation apart.

Truth Facts GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

Honestly, I'd rather see them take the engine and make a spider-verse game.

That's the sequel we deserve.

Last edited:
You make hardware + you make software thats squeezes the performance of that machine = You sell hardware on the basis of surprising and delighting players. (no empty promises)

what is impressive is the massive scale of seamless transitions between interior-exterior, close-far the action which results in a very dynamic and varied gameplay. (sony delivering in their marketing speech regarding the power of the SSD).

In terms of graphics...i mean I still think there is not an objective "generational leap" and is more like a refinement, "density/volume " in terms of assets in the screen their fidelity and lighting.

The challenge will be to make a game design that feel fresh, innovative, original and not just "more of the same". This will be the difference between 80s or 90s on MC.

You make hardware + you make software thats squeezes the performance of that machine = You sell hardware on the basis of surprising and delighting players. (no empty promises)

what is impressive is the massive scale of seamless transitions between interior-exterior, close-far the action which results in a very dynamic and varied gameplay. (sony delivering in their marketing speech regarding the power of the SSD).

In terms of graphics...i mean I still think there is not an objective "generational leap" and is more like a refinement, "density/volume " in terms of assets in the screen their fidelity and lighting.

The challenge will be to make a game design that feel fresh, innovative, original and not just "more of the same". This will be the difference between 80s or 90s on MC.
This.

I'm not gonna begrudge Sony for making safer sequels. It makes sense to make an original IP and use a sequel to refine the mechanics. Its unreasonable to expect studios to reinvent the wheel with every release. The development times are much longer to do that as well.

Hopefully the rest of Sony follows Sony Santa Monica's model. People complained GOWR was too much of a rehash, but that game did a phenomenal job refining the mechanics of the first game. SSM developed that game in 4 years even with covid limiting development. They wrapped up the the Nordic God of War arch in the sequel and are now working on a brand new IP

SM2 looks really great for an open world game running at 60FPS. Cyberpunk on PS5 has moments of looking incredible, but it is very inconsistent. Yeah, Idris Elba character model looks amazing in Cyberpunk, but pretty much every random NPC looks very last gen

Top Bottom