• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman takin' some whoppin' to Spidey 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=vs-blockbuster.htm

Spiderman 2 is now tracking BEHIND the original Spiderman

Spiderman on this day (although it had 2 days less in the market than Spidey 2, which opened on a Wednesday):

$7,306,740
-26.6% / +69.6%
$333,641,492 / 25

Spiderman 2 on this day:

$1,867,064
-57.4% / -38.1%
$330,335,827 / 27

As you can see by the highlighted totals, Spiderman a monster blockbuster even compared to the sequel in spawned...

Spiderman 2 is still ahead of The Passion and Return of the King, but has almost a zilch chance of catching either Spiderman or Shrek 2

Teddman

Yep, especially with The Village and Manchurian Candidate hitting theaters soon, Spidey 2's take will go even lower.

Damn, I was so right on this one!
Teddman said:
Posted: 07/01/04 04:43 AM
I don't think Spiderman 2 will top Shrek 2, which will probably end up being #3 on the all-time blockbuster list.

In fact, I don't even expect Spiderman 2 will top the $403 million gross of the first movie. It'll do really well regardless though...

http://gajunior.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13435&st=0&#entry250137

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not to mention if you take into account inflation, as one should when comparing current grosses to those of years past.

Kifimbo

Drensch said:
I've always said they should track tickets sold, vs grosses.

I totally agree. It's impossible to compare a 10 years old movie with a 2004 movie right now. Thats wyh I think these comparaisons are useless.

In Europe, well in France at least, they track tickets sold.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Dan said:
Not to mention if you take into account inflation, as one should when comparing current grosses to those of years past.

Ticket prices haven't increased THAT much since the original Spider-Man was released. We're only talking two years!

Acrylamid

Kifimbo said:
I totally agree. It's impossible to compare a 10 years old movie with a 2004 movie right now. Thats wyh I think these comparaisons are useless.
I think this is on purpose so that every few years a new movie has beaten a record (like best first week/best first month etc.).

Kifimbo said:
In Europe, well in France at least, they track tickets sold.
I can affirm this for Germany.

SteveMeister said:
Ticket prices haven't increased THAT much since the original Spider-Man was released. We're only talking two years!
A percent is a percent. Box Office Mojo lists Spiderman's total at $403,706,375, but adjusted for inflation at $426,636,300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom