• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix might look into localizing Dragon Quest X if there are enough fan request

Eolz

It's from PAX West, so a bit old, but didn't see a thread about it, or anything about it from the DQVII panel thread...

During a Dragon Quest VII panel at this year’s PAX West, Square Enix’s Noriyoshi Fujimoto was on hand to answer questions from fans in attendance. One asked if Dragon Quest X would ever see a release in the west. Fujimoto answered by saying that translating a game as big as an MMO is a daunting task, as well as being fairly difficult from a business standpoint. Nonetheless, he didn’t completely shut down the possibility, suggesting that if Dragon Quest X got as much fan support for a localization as VII did, then perhaps Square Enix would consider it.

Source: Siliconera

Official Nintendo video of the panel

I doubt there's many chances, as said in previous threads about this game, and as said by Fujimoto, it's an MMO and not just a JRPG, so more to localize, + server/customer support, etc.
There wouldn't be a better time to do it than the new PS4/NX version next year. Could be ported pretty much everywhere, but they should probably change the business model to F2P to make it work in the west.

hatchx

Banned
There was a time, just before the WiiU came out, where I thought a DQX localization for WiiU would have been awesome.

The ship has sailed.

As much as I love dragon quest, especially the high I'm on right now, I'd much rather see joker 3 or theatrhythm come over. I can't see myself paying for an mmo is the problem, even if it is DQ themed.

styl3s

Just focus on XI.
Why not just do a kickstarter type deal to where they can use that money to hire people that aren't working on XI to localize DQX?

It's a win/win for fans. People who actually want the game can put the money where their mouth is, it won't take away from XI development and they can get a team working on it immediately if it succeeds. Given the amount of money asked they could pump that shit out next year look at how fast fans pumped out subs for PSO2.

Halabane

Its a fun game (played the JPN version). However to localize...if they haven't started...would take a long time. Not sure how wii assets would 'scale up' to a nx. But it is a fun game.

By the way the 3ds game, even in japan, was a slog...it was streaming. crazy.

styl3s

Yeah, I doubt it. Think most of us have come to terms with this being the one that got away.
I still can't come to terms of that Dragonball MMO never getting localized the fanbase here is fucking insane. I remember even reading about it coming here when it was in development and we never got it.

We will never get this, Dragonball, Monster Hunter or any of the other awesome MMO's

Zetta

I'm alright with it as long as its after XI. Just focus on XI for now then port that over, until XI releases though they should have 100 percent focus on it.

wrowa

Can I send a request saying I don't want a DQX localization? It would bomb so hard, it would send western DQ releases in another coma.

I don't believe even for a moment that they are truly willing to consider this in the first place, however.

Lynx_7

As much as I want to play it, it probably wouldn't be sustainable for a very long time considering just how small DQ's western fanbase is, so I can understand their reasoning for not bringing it over here. Damn shame.
That said, it'd be my first MMO in years if they did bring it over.

I mean, I'm curious and certainly would like to try it, but we don't even know how it is as an MMO do we? Is it like FFXI? Like XIV? Is it story driven, or more focused on a particular gameplay gimmick?

Also, how's VII doing by the numbers? I wonder if it's hitting the digits that SE expects out of it in the West.

As much as I would LOVE for them to put this out (I would pay $20 a month for this...that's how much I love Drackie's), I'd rather see all the focus go into DQXI and having it launch globally at the same time as the JP version.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love dragon quest, especially the high I'm on right now, I'd much rather see joker 3 or theatrhythm come over. I can't see myself paying for an mmo is the problem, even if it is DQ themed.

Fuck! I forgot about those two...definitely want both over here, but I highly doubt it.

As much as I would love it, I don't believe for a second that it could ever happen. All I want is a definitive confirmation that XI is coming to the west and I'll be happy.

salromano

A bit late there, Square-Enix.

Still, I'd play the hell out of it if it came here.

I dunno, the PS4 version is still en route to Japan, so I'd imagine the game has quite some time left in it.

Regardless, I'd just like it if they confirmed DQ11.

Yawnny

Seeing the footage just makes me want to hop back in to FFXIV.

(Why oh why did I cancel my Square-Enix account? On the plus side I can start from scratch on the PS4 and start earning trophies.)

Toth

I'd love to see it here but I feel its at that point in its lifespan that bringing in new players would be too difficult. Essentially, it's too late for it to make any impact that it could have made.

Snaku

Banned
I'm not going to beg for localizations anymore. If these publishers don't want my money I'll gladly spend it elsewhere.

R0ckman

You dont want Joker 3, monster variety terribly dropped compared to Monsters 2 3DS.

Sophia

I want this game to come out simply because it is so unique compared to anything else on the market.

People hear the term MMO and assume the worst. But this game is firmly a Dragon Quest game first, and an MMO second. The closest comparison would be FFXI, but even that's not quite right.

I want this game to come out simply because it is so unique compared to anything else on the market.

People hear the term MMO and assume the worst. But this game is firmly a Dragon Quest game first, and an MMO second. The closest comparison would be FFXI, but even that's not quite right.

Can you elaborate a bit more? I've seen this mentioned a few times before, but what makes it different or unique compared to other MMORPGs? And by the flipside, outside of presentation, what still makes it a DQ game?

Krammy

As a hardcore Dragon Quest fan, my interest in playing X has long since waned, as another poster said above.

How about instead, they allow for the Game Boy Colour release of Dragon Warrior I + II, and Dragon Warrior III for the 3DS virtual console. I wouldn't mind having Dragon Quest I - IX in a single system.

As a hardcore Dragon Quest fan, my interest in playing X has long since waned, as another poster said above.

How about instead, they allow for the Game Boy Colour release of Dragon Warrior I + II, and Dragon Warrior III for the 3DS virtual console. I wouldn't mind having Dragon Quest I - IX in a single system.

Man, I'd much rather somehow get the SNES versions of those games. I know that'll never happen though.

Top Bottom