• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix might look into localizing Dragon Quest X if there are enough fan request

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Localize DQ heroes? Sure. Localize DQ Builders? Why not? Localize DQX, a mainline entry? Whoah now, lets pump those brakes a bit.

EDIT: NM my tirade. I forgot this was the Wii title. Wasn't it online?

Localize DQ heroes? Sure. Localize DQ Builders? Why not? Localize DQX, a mainline entry? Whoah now, lets pump those brakes a bit.

Yes. It's also put on pc, Wii u, 3ds, mobile. Its coming to ps4 and nx

M-PG71C

Unless it is coming Westward via Nintendo, not a chance in hell. DQ Heroes bombed and I expect Builders to do the same unfortunately. If it wasn't for Nintendo DQ7 would not be here.

I expect nothing and it makes me very sad. :/

fester

Banned
I'll forever be disappointed if DQX doesn't make it to North America in some form or another. I had almost given up on the 3DS version of VII so I'd like to believe there's always a chance. It's a shame the fan translation effort wasn't able to gain traction. (Major thanks and appreciation to the folks who made PS2 DQV playable in English.)

Gxgear

Oh no, whatever will we poor gaijins do without SE making money off of us?

To Japanese devs/publishers: forget about English dubs, slap on subtitles and ship them titles out like what you do with the Asian (non-JPN) SKUs usually and ship them out. We'll gobble it right up and be eternally grateful for the reduced localization time.

Ridley327

I have learned by now that when it comes to dragon quest it is wise not to ask square enix, but instead ask a 3rd party like Nintendo instead to localize Dragon Quest. This is kinda sad though.

Which makes DQX so unlikely, because there aren't going to be too many companies out there willing to shoulder the server costs for Squenix.

Too late. Late localizations almost never end well unless it's a side-offering next to something new and major.

Look at Type-0, which was a 2011 PSP game judged by 2015 PS4 standards because it was basically the only thing in the way of a SP FF game in forever with XV nowhere in sight. Meanwhile, Metal Gear 2 came out in the west 15 years after its Japanese release and was able to have all of its shortcomings forgiven due to the MGS3 hype.

DQX is simply too big and too old to localize.

Oh no, whatever will we poor gaijins do without SE making money off of us?

To Japanese devs/publishers: forget about English dubs, slap on subtitles and ship them titles out like what you do with the Asian (non-JPN) SKUs usually and ship them out. We'll gobble it right up and be eternally grateful for the reduced localization time.

And get fucking HAMMERED by critics for awful translations.

Penetration Penetration Penetration.

Southeast Asian "English" is not English. Let's leave it at that.

Some people just don't realize the blessing that dubs are - Lines being voice-acted forces someone to proofread the damned lines. Well, unless of course it's a JM International pitch video (AlphaMeta: Spark of Life) in which case their orator just reads off the Engrish without batting an eye. Though the rumor is that they and Dahir Insaat are using some expensive Text-To-Speech program for their videos. As of present, Atlus is the only company with a track record of proofreading undubbed content.

I can understand why it's not going to happen. :(

But I do remember one Sony insider saying that every DQ PS game would be localized, so who knows.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There was a time, just before the WiiU came out, where I thought a DQX localization for WiiU would have been awesome.

The ship has sailed.

Same. Please move on now. If they release it in late 2017 in the west, it'll bomb and they'll figure they were justified in keeping it in Japan in the first place.

KingBroly

Banned
Same. Please move on now. If they release it in late 2017 in the west, it'll bomb and they'll figure they were justified in keeping it in Japan in the first place.

I mean...they could completely change the game for the west to make it an online RPG and not an MMO. But it's not happening. DQX wasn't made for a worldwide audience.

Caim

I would love for DQX to come out over here.

But I don't think it has that much of a chance of being localized.

If it does I would definitely play it.

killatopak

Ehhhh..

Interest has already died down. I would absolutely love it... A few years ago.

If they do release it, I'm playing it. Not optimistic though.

I knew people that were testing an english version of the game. No idea how complete it was, but even as an MMORPG, a complete english localization was like 10% of the lifetime work that would go into it.

I guess Square-Enix decided it wasn't viable.

rockyt

Square Enix we know you not going to do it . The question should be if enough fans pester one of the 3rd parties maybe will think about localizing it.

Gxgear

And get fucking HAMMERED by critics for awful translations.

Penetration Penetration Penetration.

Southeast Asian "English" is not English. Let's leave it at that.

Some people just don't realize the blessing that dubs are - Lines being voice-acted forces someone to proofread the damned lines. Well, unless of course it's a JM International pitch video (AlphaMeta: Spark of Life) in which case their orator just reads off the Engrish without batting an eye. Though the rumor is that they and Dahir Insaat are using some expensive Text-To-Speech program for their videos. As of present, Atlus is the only company with a track record of proofreading undubbed content.

The quality of the translation has nothing to do with the fact that voice dub is extra work and development time spent on top of texts.

Hilarion

Eh. I love Dragon Quest, but I have never, ever been interested in MMOs. I would be in their target demo as a Western Dragon Quest fan and I have zero interest in Dragon Quest X.

Square-Enix, I would like a Dragon Quest I-III trilogy remake that brings the visuals and gameplay of those games to the level of the DS ones of IV-VI. (And, frankly, removes the NES-era unplayability. I have no idea how I beat Dragon Warrior I and II back in the day, II especially is maybe the game I'm most proud of beating to this day)

Dragon Quest I and II are relatively small games, so a I-III would make sense as a single 3DS game.

I'd love a way to play Dragon Quest III that isn't on an Android Tablet. I've never played that game but I just can't play games on a touchscreen without buttons.

Pyrrhus

How about this? Japan can keep the MMO version and maybe in five years or so you can reconfigure it as a single-player remake and release that internationally.

Aeana

DQ10 is a great game, but it isn't what people in the west who are into MMORPGs are used to. It takes practically zero influence from WoW, which makes it feel really fresh but at the same time, it's missing some concepts that people who play MMOs like, like raiding. And battle are all menu driven rather than hot bar driven. Among other things. I don't think it'd do well in the west just due to expectations in the genre space.

As much as it looks amazing to me I'd have to agree actually bringing it here would probably be a huge mistake. The system is their own and Dragon Quest isn't that popular over here, it wouldn't really pay off.

If only they made some sort of foreign server, even with no translation I'd be happy enough to pay to play...

I've been more open about trying different Japanese games in the past few years (and I've found some really good one like Trails series) so the name Dragon Quest in the title had me interested since I've never played one before. But yeah, I know myself and MMO ain't for me.

Would probably give the series a shot if DQ XI ever gets released in the west, though.

Megatron

I was there, he did say that. He said dq7 only got localized because the fans wanted it to so much and sent letters and petitions.

Then a week later the story about Nintendo having to dump money at SE's feet to get yen game made came out.

duckroll

DQ10 is a great game, but it isn't what people in the west who are into MMORPGs are used to. It takes practically zero influence from WoW, which makes it feel really fresh but at the same time, it's missing some concepts that people who play MMOs like, like raiding. And battle are all menu driven rather than hot bar driven. Among other things. I don't think it'd do well in the west just due to expectations in the genre space.

Is it more like Ultima Online and OG Star Wars Galaxies?

Sakujou

Banned
after s-e admitting that nintendo pretty much paid everything for the localisation and s-e still taking years to release it in the west, i dont have any faith in s-e anymore. yeah, fans arent the majority, but shitting on them like that is really unbearable. go and milk someone else.
asking if they would be interested in a 6 year old game to release..
why not in the first place?!
i would have bought dqx for wii u on day 1.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
They said this years ago also. Less talk and more actually doing it.

Eusis

Yeah, Wii title and an MMO (which also meant it got ported all over the place, although the 3DS and I think mobile versions just stream.) The fact it's on PC and I believe PS4 soon is why there's a shadow of a chance, but given that it's an MMO and not some side thing that's relatively easy and straightforward to deal with I'm resigned to never seeing it barring a miracle. Then I'd probably have to hope the game stays largely in tact rather than reworked for "western sensibilities" in any serious way.
I'd probably be OK as long as it was basically DQ but with a ton of other people playing at the same time around me (and presumably time limits on turns.) But then I rarely get into MMOs and only FFXIV kept me around at length. It'd also have to not be overly grindy, though if they keep that addictive enough I could well put up with it.
after s-e admitting that nintendo pretty much paid everything for the localisation and s-e still taking years to release it in the west, i dont have any faith in s-e anymore. yeah, fans arent the majority, but shitting on them like that is really unbearable. go and milk someone else.
asking if they would be interested in a 6 year old game to release..
why not in the first place?!
i would have bought dqx for wii u on day 1.
It's kind of been an issue with the merger: Enix's US division as it was would probably have compulsively brought over what they could given it's basically THE tentpole series for Enix (and in the PS1 era they were more keen on this fact, plus I think they were entirely built from the ground up with the prior iteration dying in the SNES days), but as the bigger conglomerate it isn't that big of a deal internationally and hasn't been a stable performer for how text heavy they can be. But SE's kind of frustrating in general there as they were kind of THE JRPG players, so seeing them flounder at times with localization gets frustrating especially when a lot of other companies have been great there more often than not, even with lower profile games.

But I'm more annoyed at missing other side games and to a lesser extent the DQV remake and waiting way too long on DQVII. MMOs are always a pain in the ass prone to failure, and we don't even have PSO2 despite THAT being announced here and probably a safer bet, so... oof.

Alex

As always with Dragon Quest I would be all over it but I can't blame them for not bothering here.

Mcdohl

This somehow makes me want to play it more...lol

Kanann

It has some kind of raiding, super bosses, endgame, etc. but not that insanely hard or too much time consuming like other MMORPG. This game is focus on kids and girls friendly mindset.

Really great game indeed.

Tohsaka

Sounds good to me. After years of raiding in WoW I got pretty sick of MMOs altogether because of needing to raid to get endgame gear.

Teknoman

That actually sounds up my alley too, especially since the only MMOs that ever really captured my attention were FFXI and XIV (and i'm not too happy with some of the WoWish aspects of XIV).

Also liked the menus of XI more than hotbars.

Eusis

Wouldn't surprise me if the other angle of the problem is if you don't appeal to the existing MMO base, how do you rope in the traditional non-MMO player? You could probably pull this off with FF or even MegaTen/Persona, but neither of those did that at all.

zeox

Sounds good to me. After years of raiding in WoW I got pretty sick of MMOs altogether because of needing to raid to get endgame gear.

agreed. I played the offline part of DQX and loved it, despite the not amazing PC controls. would definitely buy this if it came out in the west

sphinx

the piano man
This attitude from SE pisses me off.

they are always fucking whining that the west doesn't show enough love to the series and they go around just being pissy about it .

Top Bottom