• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix might look into localizing Dragon Quest X if there are enough fan request

lewisgone

I really, really want to play DQX but don't see this happening. MMO's cost too much money and the game just wouldn't be popular enough. Fujimoto was probably just trying not to sound like too much of a downer.

The best chance we have of one day seeing an English release is I guess if the MMO gets shut down one day. Then maybe they might repackage the game into a single player experience and localise that.

Maybe I should just learn Japanese.

At this point just ensure us XI and let X go. It wasn't even that good. I put about 30 hours into it over a week and never went back. It was graphically and musically very charming, but the gameplay was really dull.

Add the fact it was subscription based and it's going to flop really hard here.

It isn't as if SE couldn't do it. They have the basic architecture in place, since they already have two MMORPGs up and running, both of which have (had) shared servers across both different countries and different platforms. They know how to run an MMO. They have shown with FFXI that they're willing to support a game for as long as it (monetarily) supports itself.

The thing I'm more worried about is giving English-only players an insurmountable hurdle to "catch up" to the Japanese player base. Four years can be a lifetime in the MMO world, it may be five or six before the game would be fully localized, and I doubt it would be a profitable enough venture to give other regions dedicated servers. Although China is supposed to be getting their own version of the game this year, but that's a horse of a different color.

I'd be in for an NX or PS4 version in any case. Not sure how much I could play, but this game has been on my most wanted list for years now.

Loona

The director of FFXIV runs SE's online game division - I seriously doubt he has any intention of letting any other game share the spotlight as a major SE online game.

But maybe I'm just a bit bitter about the handling of XI - its situation could have been a lot worse, considering the game still gets monthly updates, but SE has all but stopped promoting it to people not already playing it, and even SE doesn't seem to care enough about it, to the extend that Shantotto is the default rep for the game in crossovers despite not being actually important in the game...

Basically, if SE is barely willing to properly promote 2 MMOs internationally, how could they possibly do it with 3, if the guy running one of them is calling the shots on the whole online department?

Mcdohl

Haha rubs your contrarian spot. *list of reasons its not within the western mmo fans habits* Well maybe it is for me!

Lol, it's more than that.

I love FFXI for example, and it is different too.

I have nothing against mmos like WoW, but I certainly enjoy games trying different things.

Lol, it's more than that.

I love FFXI for example, and it is different too.

I have nothing against mmos like WoW, but I certainly enjoy games trying different things.

Hahah nah I was kidding man, it was just funny the way it came out, but I know what you mean, it actually sounded good with that write up. I've been thinking about this over the last day or so though and I keep thinking, really? Like would they really consider it? I don't know. Maybe they're waiting for nx to do a big western ps4, nx, pc release but I do kind of think really.

Is there cross play in japan between the different versions?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm hoping that they re-jig this into a single-player game and we get that in the US. Sucks that there's still one mainline DQ game that I still have not played (and perhaps may not ever). But if this gets localized, whelp, this would be the first MMO I could ever see myself playing.

The whole "re-jig an MMO into an offline, single-player game"... is there any precedent for that?

The whole "re-jig an MMO into an offline, single-player game"... is there any precedent for that?
Ragnarok Online, maybe? There's a DS version and a separate game for the PS3/Vita, no clue if they are good or even follow the story of the game they are based on.

Don't know if it could work in X. I haven't seen enough of it to judge. Maybe if they replaced the hiring system with a traditional Party Planning Place (III, IX)? It isn't something most MMOs do at all, they are meant to be experienced with other players.

Joqu

Couldn't we just share servers with the JP version? I know it's a little more complicated than that but translate the thing in english and allow foreigners to pay and you get a pretty low effort MMO localization, no? It doesn't need to be anything fancy like FFXIV

Plus I mean I know it's an old game, but NX + PS4 + PC doesn't sound like a bad situation platform-wise

DQ10 is a great game, but it isn't what people in the west who are into MMORPGs are used to. It takes practically zero influence from WoW, which makes it feel really fresh but at the same time, it's missing some concepts that people who play MMOs like, like raiding. And battle are all menu driven rather than hot bar driven. Among other things. I don't think it'd do well in the west just due to expectations in the genre space.

You're selling me on the game here, Aeana. Don't do that. :(

Arkeband

Banned
Couldn't we just share servers with the JP version?

Well the ping would be garbage.

Honestly if they wanted to support DQX they would need to throw hundreds of staff at it to maintain it until its heat death, and I don't see the West being interested in it simply because it's not a standard hotbar MMO. If anything, the fact that it's an IP that the west routinely ignores and also menu oriented instead of action-oriented means it's basically fucked on arrival. Throw a subscription fee on top and you've killed it.

True Fire

They're really missing out by not releasing it as an NX launch title. Lord knows people will be desperate for games to play. The Street Fighter IV port sold over a million copies to desperate 3DS early adopters.

Vena

Yeah, I hope they don't pull anything on these especially since they haven't said anything about DQH2 yet so far, though with Builders on the way I think there's a decent chance.

After the performance of DQH in the west, I wouldn't hold my breath for DQH2. It took Nintendo to localize DQVII (and seemingly DQVIII as well). Builders is at least a try at the Minecraft audience and a new spin-off.

Loona

Well the ping would be garbage.

Honestly if they wanted to support DQX they would need to throw hundreds of staff at it to maintain it until its heat death, and I don't see the West being interested in it simply because it's not a standard hotbar MMO. If anything, the fact that it's an IP that the west routinely ignores and also menu oriented instead of action-oriented means it's basically fucked on arrival. Throw a subscription fee on top and you've killed it.

Final Fantasy XI does practically all of this with a relatively small team nowadays. The menu-based commands apply a pace to the combat that makes ping differences on its internationally shared servers mostly irrelevant, since practically all content takes this into account, with a few infamous exceptions like Absolute Virtue, which wasn't originally meant to be beaten.

Mcdohl

I took action, and SE did reply:

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

We appreciate your support for Dragon Quest X. We are glad to hear your feedback for the game and we will be forwarding it to the appropriate department. We look forward to hearing from you in regards to our other titles. Please take care!

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

Yeah, it doesn't say anything, but at least they chose to not ignore it.

Kanann

Dude. Please be exaggerating/

O87bryz.png

Daouzin

I'm sad that so many people don't care about this entry. I still very much want this game. I loved FFXI and FFXIV, would love the hell of a DQ MMO that I can play primarily solo.

Sophia

Can you elaborate a bit more? I've seen this mentioned a few times before, but what makes it different or unique compared to other MMORPGs? And by the flipside, outside of presentation, what still makes it a DQ game?

Basically, it looks and plays like a Dragon Quest game. No hotbars, no multiple windows everywhere, proper story, music, etc. Combat is the standard menu popping up and you selecting a command with battle transitions and everything. Very much unlike any other MMO out there. Even FFXIV doesn't compare, as that's still a WoW clone under it all, if a competent and well designed one.

If you can find the PC trial, maybe give it a shot? There's a short offline portion that gives you a good idea.

sensui-tomo

Basically, it looks and plays like a Dragon Quest game. No hotbars, no multiple windows everywhere, proper story, music, etc. Combat is the standard menu popping up and you selecting a command with battle transitions and everything. Very much unlike any other MMO out there. Even FFXIV doesn't compare, as that's still a WoW clone under it all, if a competent and well designed one.

If you can find the PC trial, maybe give it a shot? There's a short offline portion that gives you a good idea.

So this is DQ9 but online with people around you? If so i'd want that, enough to buy it for my friends too.

Sophia

So this is DQ9 but online with people around you? If so i'd want that, enough to buy it for my friends too.

Kind of. It's still an MMO, so expect to group up. I didn't really get to try much of the group play though with my short time with the game. I loved every second of it tho, and would gladly pay the subscription fee to play it in English.

I think Aeana once described it as an MMO that exists in a world where World of Warcraft never existed? That's pretty much a good way to sum it up.

Also, it has an awesome battle theme.

Kanann

That's insane... You'd have had to play like 8 hours a day since release.

It's look insane because April 2014 until December 2015 rarely shuting down WiiU on purpose for hardware endurance test too with this game always online.
Real playing times are around 2 hours - 5 hours per day.

Top Bottom