• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah, too bad. They're probably just doing some random selection now or something.

By the way, did you mention a console command for increasing the texture VRAM cache allowed? I thought I saw something but couldn't find it in the old posts.

Yeah here
add this to the user.cfg
con_Restricted = 0
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 8192
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 4096

If that goes over your budget of 12gb, then drop it down to 4096 and 2048 accorrdingly.

Zalusithix

I'll probably won't be able to get a Carrack. Sad face. :(

Sorry if i sound paranoid, but you're not making funny of me for what i said during the chat, are you. ?

Nah, you weren't on my mind at all when I made that post. It was just referencing a certain subset of people that think that limited ships should never return for sale no matter what. It's not limited to the Phoenix. You'll find people that feel that way with pretty much all of the more expensive limited ships. The only commonality is that these people always own the ships that they think shouldn't go back on sale.

It was actually an Idris thread in the concierge section of the official forums that came to mind when I was making the sarcastic comment. The guy was lamenting the sale of it in the Armada pack and saying how devalued the ship was now that it was being sold in a $2500 bundle pack instead of the $5000 War bundle. This was going to result in there being tens of thousands of Idris in the PU, and that it'd be the second most common ship next to the Aurora. Of course he owned an Idris, and ironically got it in one of the F5 sales, so he shouldn't have even been crying about the comparison to the War pack to begin with. All attempts at getting him to look at the situation rationally were a lost cause.

By comparison, your comment was was just an offhand remark in a chat stream, and you didn't even try to keep that outlook. I made a counter point, you accepted it as being logical, and that was the end of it. That's not deserving of being made fun of. Quite the opposite really. Being able to take a step back, and reevaluate your perspective is something to be commended. That and I wouldn't mock a fellow org member in an obtuse way like that. If I have a problem with somebody, I'm going to be direct and call them out. Getting snippy behind somebody's back that you're supposed to be working with is never a good way to do things.

That's not to say I wont do playful jabs against other members though. =P

Edit: Also, as for getting the Carrack, remember that you can get the upgrade to the Carrack from the Aquila for $75, and the P72 for $30. So for $105 you can basically make a down payment on an LTI version. Then when you have the money later on, you can fork over the $245 for the P-72 to Aquila CCU and perform the chain of upgrades. Of course, if you have no money to spare, that isn't a wise option, but if you can swing $100 and not $350, it's an option. You can also pick up a Phoenix to Carrack upgrade for free and just store it. It wont get you LTI or anything, but if it turns out you prefer the Carrack when more details of it are out, you'll have the option to sacrifice the Phoenix.

I just noticed something weird. Anyone have any idea why the Redeemer is in the sale for the Piracy theme tomorrow? It's already regularly available in the store and isn't limited in any way at all. If it's for 3 year insurance they kind of borked that with the P-72 being available every day of the anniversary sales for LTI CCU-ing needs.

I mentioned that oddity during the stream. In addition to the pack speculation, there might be a surprise variant. They were supposed to be working on it again. As for the P-72 being available for CCU, it does come with a hanger drawback when used on the bigger ships, but that's a non issue if you already have the higher end hangers. I also think they intentionally made the P72 available the whole sale just for the LTI transfer. I imagine they regret the whole LTI situation in general, so they're making it easy to get LTI on the more expensive ships without going back on their original promise. The Reliant was being used in much the same way. Cheap LTI donating sacrificial ships. I certainly don't have a problem with it as I think that everybody should have LTI. Who gives a damn whether they bought in earlier or later. They're supporting the game just the same.

McArkus

Well, now I'm the owner of a P-72 Archimedes, will look nice next to my Aurora, when is ready. Really exited to see how the game develops.

I'm guessing not. Both of us have one and it's kind of a running joke that Phoenix owners in general get protective about their exclusive status.

Hell I am thinking about getting CCU from my retaliator base to the phoenix if available. I want to keep LTI if possible.

If not....... I am still thinking about getting one anyways.

Rephin

Hell I am thinking about getting CCU from my retaliator base to the phoenix if available. I want to keep LTI if possible.

If not....... I am still thinking about getting one anyways.

Yeah, CCUing from an LTI Retaliator into the Phoenix will get the Phoenix the LTI.

Edit: Holy crap, it's been over an hour and my account hasn't copied over to the PTU. Sadness. ;/

Zalusithix

I'm hoping we'll get a sneak peak of what the new Phoenix looks like when it goes on sale. Fat chance of that happening, but a man can dream.

Also, all the talk of ships reminded me that I needed to add in the Crucible, Avenger variants, and P-72 into the ship matrix for the roster. Everything is accounted for again.

Fret

I got an invite to PTU and played it for about 10 minutes just then which is surprising because I've played the game about 3 times in total - anyway this is definitely the real deal, it's an actual game now. Quantum travel is very smooth and super cool

Rephin

Well, there we go. It finally copied over 3 times since I tried it a few times earlier, lol. Time to poke around a bit, after this download...

Rendering quality comparison, because:
ue4game_2015_09_17_20ncs3d.png
vlcsnap-2015-11-20-14nrqqg.png

AZzXUTL.png
3GNwmwF.png

ac-unity-pc-hair3vavw.png
infamous_secondson_00x8les.png

mgsvtpp_2015_09_01_23ink94.png
rfocb.png

geturlhttp3a2f2fimgurrlq3u.jpg
theorder_1886_20151022ts1x.png
This just makes me realize how good games currently look...

Yeah I got a PTU invite, haven't really played much in the past couple of months (like almost at all, only to try out new updates for a quick look).

Guess I know what I'll be trying this weekend!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm still getting the frequent crashes that other people are saying were resolved. Maybe they're having issues with SLI again. Oh well, I'll try again later.

Xane

PTU invite as well, took an hour for the account copy confirmation email to arrive - so don't panick if it takes a while!

Downloading the client atm but it's 5am - to gonna head nestwards.

:(

30k citizen number, actively plays ac, has done stuff on issue council

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME FATHER

lol, not the worst thing. Enjoy guys :D

i tried copying my account to the PTU 4 hours ago and it hasn't processed so getting in doesn't mean you get to play lol

i was in the PTU for the last big update so maybe i was selected because of that? or maybe it was random.

Raticus79

Well, I managed to get to the point where I'm ready to engage quantum drive and it turns out the Merlin doesn't have one, lol. Good thing I have the loaner hornet.

Tried the hornet and made it out to a satellite. Ran into some pirates, fired a few shots and it disconnected. Progress!

:(

30k citizen number, actively plays ac, has done stuff on issue council

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME FATHER

lol, not the worst thing. Enjoy guys :D

Maybe we should talk about how much money we've spent instead hahaha.

Maybe they're targeting people with mutlicrew ships? I dunno, I do have a constellation.

finally got into the PTU and i have to say.. the new update is impressive. i just crashed

are they going to work on redesigning the avenger?

Zalusithix

Maybe we should talk about how much money we've spent instead hahaha.

Maybe they're targeting people with mutlicrew ships? I dunno, I do have a constellation.

It's certainly not based on whether you have multicrew ships or how much money you've spent. I don't have access to the PTU, so that pretty much shoots that theory down. (Not that I care about having access to it in the first place.) It would be pretty unfair to base it on such superficial metrics anyhow. My guess is that there's simply a random factor in play.

Rephin

The hangar Vanguard is pretty cool, even if it's awkward and definitely not flight ready. I don't think they have the top turret accessible yet, and getting into it is weird and janky because of the steps in the rear (like, it's not a smooth ascent into the thing). Sitting in the pilot chair and looking around does not give me a great view outside, it's quite busy. But I like where it's going, at least.

Also, crash city, lol. Derek Smart's hallmark title Line of Defense redeemed!
/s

deleted

I heard on GAF that the 35 $ package would be in stock again for the coming week with a 1000 copies per day...

Do you know when it's getting it's daily stock back? Or if at all?

Anyone know if they will require you to redownload the whole client when 2.0 hits public ?

that's always been the case with the PTU version. I took some screenshots of 2.0.. Should I post here or PC screenshots?

I think the ship you own determines the state of the room you spawn in.. I have an avenger which is law enforcement and I'm in a neat and tidy room. The other day on twitch someone kept spawning in a room filled with alcohol and he had a pirate class ship.. Maybe it's random?

masterkajo

I have a questions and maybe someone here can help me. I own:

1) PACKAGE - AMD NEVER SETTLE SPACE EDITION [worth $0.00 store credit]
- Mustang Omega : AMD Edition
- SelfLand Hangar
- Legacy AC
- Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
- 2 Month Insurance
- Digital Star Citizen Manual
- Star Citizen Digital Download
- Squadron 42 Digital Download

2) PACKAGE - AURORA MR [worth $30.00 store credit]
- Aurora MR
- SelfLand Hangar
- 2 Month Insurance

3) RSI AURORA LN UPGRADE [worth $10.00 store credit]

4) PACKAGE - CUTLASS [worth $115.00 store credit]
- Cutlass Black
- VFG Industrial Hangar
- Starting Money: 5,000 UEC
- 6 Month Insurance
- Digital Game Soundtrack
- Digital Star Map
- Digital Squadron 42 Manual
- Legacy Alpha

What I actually want is Cutlass Black with LTI. Would you recommend to melt my original Cutlass Black package and get a P72-Merlin with CCU to Cutlass Black/Blue (if it doesn't have the ugly cockpit). I just found out that the package isn't needed for my alpha access anymore so I could get rid of it. But what about the Digital Star Map? Any info on that? What is that supposed to be? I do still have two more game packages (could also melt the Aurora if need be). I cannot melt the Mustang though as it won't give me store credit, unfortunately. Or has anyone any good ideas to CCU that into a Cutlass with LTI? (won't work, right?). Maybe someone has his/her own opinion on what I should be doing (maybe leave everything as is?). Thanks!

Raticus79

I heard on GAF that the 35 $ package would be in stock again for the coming week with a 1000 copies per day...

Check at 9AM Eastern time each day. They mentioned it right after the part I linked for the Phoenix.

Store page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Star-Citizen-Starter

They've been selling out within half an hour, so better set an alarm for it.

Edit: they said 9am, but it's actually been noon:
It's $30, and it's coming in at noon Eastern (US) time every day so far. I got mine yesterday, they sold out in 20 mins. Today it sold out in 4.5 minutes according to people on the official forums (probably because it's the weekend, more people watching).

Zalusithix

- SelfLand Hangar
- Legacy AC
- 2 Month Insurance

- Aurora MR
- SelfLand Hangar
- 2 Month Insurance

- Cutlass Black
- VFG Industrial Hangar
- 6 Month Insurance
- Digital Star Map
- Legacy Alpha

What I actually want is Cutlass Black with LTI. Would you recommend to melt my original Cutlass Black package and get a P72-Merlin with CCU to Cutlass Black/Blue (if it doesn't have the ugly cockpit). I just found out that the package isn't needed for my alpha access anymore so I could get rid of it. But what about the Digital Star Map? Any info on that? What is that supposed to be? I do still have two more game packages (could also melt the Aurora if need be). I cannot melt the Mustang though as it won't give me store credit, unfortunately. Or has anyone any good ideas to CCU that into a Cutlass with LTI? (won't work, right?). Maybe someone has his/her own opinion on what I should be doing (maybe leave everything as is?). Thanks!

Everything in the package is replaceable. The digital sound track, star map, and UEC all can be bought separately. The only time you absolutely don't want to melt a package is if it has physical goods, as those gone and never to return. Mind you, getting those back will cost $20 (10,5, and 5 respectively). So if you go the melt -> P72 -> Cutlass Black route, and buy back all of the above, you're paying what amounts to $5 for LTI. Given you have no other LTI ships, then I'd suggest going that route. That'd at least give you an LTI hull to upgrade from if you decide to go bigger down the line.

The real question, IMO, is whether you want the Black or Blue. By ignoring the digital extras, you can drop the upgrade cost to the Blue to $35 out of pocket. Alternatively if you're not sure at the moment or don't want to spend the money right now, you can "buy" a Constellation Taurus -> Cutlass Blue CCU for $0 and bank it. Then if you decide you want to upgrade in the future, get a Black -> Taurus upgrade and chain them to turn the Black into a Blue. Combined with the P72 -> Black method, you'll gain LTI and future proof yourself for next to nothing.

Edit: Forgot something important! You'll lose the VFG hanger by doing the P72 CCU route for LTI. While it can be replaced, it's far more expensive than the other stuff. If you love the VFG, and have no interest in ever getting another ship that has it by default, you might not want to melt.

Edit 2: If you just outright buy the Blue after melting the Black, you'll have the VFG and a 3 year warranty. It's not LTI, but still 6 times longer than the Black's and realistically by the time 3 years rolls around, I doubt insuring the base hull of a Cutlass will be of any concern to you.

masterkajo

Everything in the package is replaceable. The digital sound track, star map, and UEC all can be bought separately. The only time you absolutely don't want to melt a package is if it has physical goods, as those gone and never to return. Mind you, getting those back will cost $20 (10,5, and 5 respectively). So if you go the melt -> P72 -> Cutlass Black route, and buy back all of the above, you're paying what amounts to $5 for LTI. Given you have no other LTI ships, then I'd suggest going that route. That'd at least give you an LTI hull to upgrade from if you decide to go bigger down the line.

The real question, IMO, is whether you want the Black or Blue. By ignoring the digital extras, you can drop the upgrade cost to the Blue to $35 out of pocket. Alternatively if you're not sure at the moment or don't want to spend the money right now, you can "buy" a Constellation Taurus -> Cutlass Blue CCU for $0 and bank it. Then if you decide you want to upgrade in the future, get a Black -> Taurus upgrade and chain them to turn the Black into a Blue. Combined with the P72 -> Black method, you'll gain LTI and future proof yourself for next to nothing.

Thanks so much! It is really hard to figure this all out. They are not making it easy :p Will go for the Black LTI I guess just to finally have an LTI ship. Will also get the Taurus to Blue Update for free just in case. Thanks for the big help!

Daedardus

I collapsed Thursday and had to spend the night at ER, totally missing the stream. Guess my body wasn't ready :p.
Does anyone have a good recap of what happened or a hub where I can read stuff? Gonna spend my time recovering getting back up to speed with the game :).

I collapsed Thursday and had to spend the night at ER, totally missing the stream. Guess my body wasn't ready :p.
Does anyone have a good recap of what happened or a hub where I can read stuff? Gonna spend my time recovering getting back up to speed with the game :).

OH my, are you alright?

What happened? If you do not mind my asking of course.

Zalusithix

Thanks so much! It is really hard to figure this all out. They are not making it easy :p Will go for the Black LTI I guess just to finally have an LTI ship. Will also get the Taurus to Blue Update for free just in case. Thanks for the big help!

Not a problem, but hopefully my first edit was in place by the time your comment went through. You'll lose the VFG hanger going that route. If you don't care about that hanger, then there's nothing to worry about. If you do want to keep it, then you're left with only non LTI options.

Unrelated to the Cutlass, it looks like the Redeemer listing on the sale page was a fluke. Not in the piracy package (why would it be), and nothing new about it in general. Oh well.

As for Daedardus, the entire stream is archived, so you can just spend your recovery time watching the multi hour stream directly. =)

Raticus79

Dang, good job pulling that joke out of it at least. Here's the stream archive:
https://youtu.be/1ztoZfTZRw0

About 6000 people have 2.0 PTU access. Things are looking good, they just need to fix some stability issues.

They're doing daily ship sales but everything will be on sale at once all next weekend so no rush. $30 LTI Achimedes so you can CCU to get LTI on any non-package ship you want.

Derek Smart has been doing Zangief-style combo flip throws with the goalposts as announcements came in and is now off in the middle of nowhere claiming that their 64 bit implementation is secretly some kind of 32+32 bit concept which makes no sense.

low-G

It's $30, and it's coming in at noon Eastern (US) time every day so far. I got mine yesterday, they sold out in 20 mins. Today it sold out in 4.5 minutes according to people on the official forums (probably because it's the weekend, more people watching).

Derek Smart has been doing Zangief-style combo flip throws with the goalposts as announcements came in and is now off in the middle of nowhere claiming that their 64 bit implementation is secretly some kind of 32+32 bit concept which makes no sense.

Perhaps you've never heard of a little system called the ATARI JAGUAR?!

Do The Math

- SelfLand Hangar
- Legacy AC
- 2 Month Insurance

- Aurora MR
- SelfLand Hangar
- 2 Month Insurance

- Cutlass Black
- VFG Industrial Hangar
- 6 Month Insurance
- Digital Star Map
- Legacy Alpha

Warning mass finagling ahead:

CCU your AMD to the Mustang racer and melt that ($60)

Take you Cutlass pack and now CCU down to the Mustang racer ship, now take your newly found credit and get the P-72, then CCU to the Cutlass LTI. Keep the top perks (Cutlass pack) with spending the least amount ahead.

tuxfool

Banned

Take you Cutlass pack and now CCU down to the Mustang racer ship, now take your newly found credit and get the P-72, then CCU to the Cutlass LTI. Keep the top perks (Cutlass pack) with spending the least amount ahead.

I have the AMD package. I can't melt that package for its theoretical equivalent price. The melt price for the package only covers the CCU cost for upgrades to the base package + 10$ (which is the melt value of the package).

masterkajo

Not a problem, but hopefully my first edit was in place by the time your comment went through. You'll lose the VFG hanger going that route. If you don't care about that hanger, then there's nothing to worry about. If you do want to keep it, then you're left with only non LTI options.

Unrelated to the Cutlass, it looks like the Redeemer listing on the sale page was a fluke. Not in the piracy package (why would it be), and nothing new about it in general. Oh well.

As for Daedardus, the entire stream is archived, so you can just spend your recovery time watching the multi hour stream directly. =)

Thanks for the warning. Will have to think about that.

I don't think I would get the full package price, only the upgrade. Would be an awesome plan though :)

I have the AMD package. I can't melt that package for its theoretical equivalent price. The melt price for the package only covers the CCU cost for upgrades to the base package + 10$ (which is the melt value of the package).

Yeaht that is what I thought.

The dude is beyond stupid. Dear god.

We know how their 64 bit system works. They detailed it god dammit like 20x.

the constant crashing sucks and i hope they can fix it before they decide to open the doors to thousands of other people.. with the limited time that i had with 2.0 i just cant get over how good it looks. I'm playing it at 3325 x 1871 and i posted a few screenshots in the PC screenshot thread if anyone is interested.

i need to change my ship.. the avenger is the ugliest looking thing in the game lol its incredibly fast though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom