• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rephin

I got the F7A upgrade when it was for sale a couple of years ago, during veteran's day.
Haven't applied it yet, because i don't have a Hornet yet (i was going to buy one in game) but didn't Ben say a long time ago, that the upgrades are essentially body-kits, and won't really make it the military version.

That's still pretty cool, I didn't even know that was a thing. Kinda jealous, lol.

Zalusithix

You do understand that its not finished right....like lol.
No, I had no idea the game was still in development. I've dropped over $4k on the game, spent dozens of hours on organization related stuff, and posted hundreds of times on this thread all under the assumption that it was finished! /s

If you've been following the thread at all, you'd realize the comments were between two backers who are looking forward to the game. Making comparisons between two elements of the same game, and offering critique does not imply lack of knowledge on the state of the game. We discuss things with the understanding that the game is under development and will improve. If we couldn't talk about that sort of stuff then it would be quite boring in here.

tuxfool

Banned
No, I had no idea the game was still in development. I've dropped over $4k on the game, spent dozens of hours on organization related stuff, and posted hundreds of times on this thread all under the assumption that it was finished! /s

Ignore him, that dude jumps before he looks. I do believe he once got banned for this kind of nonsense.

Anyway I found this screenshot. It looks real nice:
lXqhsBw.jpg

AngerdX

Playing more today has made me wish i had a connie, but my aurora ln will have to do, hoping to get on someones to check it out later.

Zalusithix

Ignore him, that dude jumps before he looks. I do believe he once got banned for this kind of nonsense.

Anyway I found this screenshot. It looks real nice:
lXqhsBw.jpg

Meh, I was torn between laughing at the concept of being treated as some uninformed SC detractor and setting the record straight. I figured at least one attempt at rational discourse was warranted, albeit not without a healthy dose of sarcasm to drive the ridiculousness of the (implied) accusation home.

Also I'm not sure what bothers me more, the flipped "Constellation" text in that image, or the flipped "RSI" in this mirrored image. OCD either way. -_-
xzMzjrC.jpg

It has probably been asked before, but why do you always capitalize the 'y' in 'you'?

I imagine it is a small way of showing respect in writing. Same thing happens in German with the personal "you" (du becomes Du) in the written form. Some people still do that (I do in my e-mails´correspondence for example).

Tic174

Man I wish I could lock my ship after parking it.
The amount of time I run in the security station to then come out and see some one flying off in it.

Zalusithix

I imagine it is a small way of showing respect in writing. Same thing happens in German with the personal "you" (du becomes Du) in the written form. Some people still do that (I do in my e-mails´correspondence for example).
Yeah, I had a feeling that outside of some personal quirk, it would have something to do with having English as a second language. It's not exactly something you see used in English after all, and can't be explained away as laziness (takes more effort) or a typo (too consistent). At the same time I wasn't sure if he was aware it was unusual.

Man I wish I could lock my ship after parking it.
The amount of time I run in the security station to then come out and see some one flying off in it.
Yeah, I noticed that in their demo 2.0 footage from way back. Super advanced space ships without the concept of a key or passcode to use them. I'm sure it'll be implemented, but it's pretty funny right now.

Yeah, I noticed that in their demo 2.0 footage from way back. Super advanced space ships without the concept of a key or passcode to use them. I'm sure it'll be implemented, but it's pretty funny right now.

I imagine it will be done through the mobi glass interface, you type in a key or something at some point... and criminals will have to hack it!

CMDBob

Guess they're working on that today:
W0WYoeH.png

(from the chat)

Good! I can't hit a thing at 20 fps.

I hope so. I've got this on absolute minimum (even disabled all the effects, anti aliasing, etc) and it still runs bad on my 3570k and 970. (I think half of the poor performance is due to my CPU thermally throttling, as the heatsink needs replacing.)

It's still really bloody fun though.

Zalusithix

I imagine it will be done through the mobi glass interface, you type in a key or something at some point... and criminals will have to hack it!

I doubt we'll even have to make a code. The ships will probably grant access to given mobiglass users that are set up in their permission list. I doubt they're going to have a "steal a player's mobiglass" gameplay element, so that would allow the same thing with less hassle. Still can retain the hacking element, though it wont give a code or anything. It'll just bypass the security/spoof it.

I haven't played the PTU in a couple days but I've heard others saying FPS performance has improved quite a bit today. Hopefully the fixes are just server side and doesn't mean a downgrade in graphic fidelity in game

I haven't played the PTU in a couple days but I've heard others saying FPS performance has improved quite a bit today. Hopefully the fixes are just server side and doesn't mean a downgrade in graphic fidelity in game

That won't happen, no worries. 100% a server side problem given how people get great performance in private games then on official servers. You can also visually see the problem in game when you join a fresh server. GPU usage slowly goes down till it is about at 20% after the server is alive for longer! :D

tuxfool

Banned
Err, that's a 300i, not a Hornet. ;P Also, that was with shields down. Hopefully human weapons have no chance against a shielded ship. At least not without being dedicated to anti-air.

It is a pretty poor webm. I'm sure there will be weapons capable of doing damage to ships eventually.

Zalusithix

It is a pretty poor webm. I'm sure there will be weapons capable of doing damage to ships eventually.
I'm sure there will be weapons, but they better be the equivalent to a MANPAD. Something like a rifle shouldn't be capable of inflicting damage. It's a pea shooter compared to the guns on ships. The impact of one ship round should be more damaging than an entire clip from a hand held rifle.

Geist-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNCgX2FYnM&feature=youtu.be&t=7m47s

Wow watching this Squad gameplay is amazing. This is going to be the game of the decade, easily.

The guy giving orders was pretty cringy, but awesome video regardless.

Err, that's a 300i, not a Hornet. ;P Also, that was with shields down. Hopefully human weapons have no chance against a shielded ship. At least not without being dedicated to anti-air.
Just need one of the classics, a guided missile launcher. :)

injurai

Banned
The guy giving orders was pretty cringy, but awesome video regardless.

Yeah, but chasing down a target over multiple jumps got me really excited. I never really quite thought what type of gameplay we'd end up seeing in this game. (I haven't backed so I haven't gotten to play any of the released components)

Yeah, but chasing down a target over multiple jumps got me really excited. I never really quite thought what type of gameplay we'd end up seeing in this game. (I haven't backed so I haven't gotten to play any of the released components)

I sort of did that today. I was pulled out of a quantum jump due to the proximity of some seriously random NPC pirate in a cutlass blocking the straight line path. This was on a straight line course btw on a common quantumn line. So I start dueling with the cutlass as suddenly... due to the fact that this is a common quantumn line... a constellation jumps in and is also stopped. I then change targets and start shooting at the passing by constellation for fun and he in time activates his cruise speed and starts darting away as I pelter him with shots. He then gets about 10KM away and jumps. I follow him through the quantum jump but then subsequently crash and die while going cruise speed into a space station.

This game... has no equal regarding this kinda stuff. It is nuts.

Any indication on when the Star Citizen branded HOTAS sticks will be out for purchase? Or I guess it's just showing them off and that's it?

Zalusithix

By the chat channel do you mean on the RSI website under the GAF org? Planning to watch the vga's so may jump on there too.

No, it's a twitch group chat set up for the usual SC livestreams. Since this will be live on twitch as well, there's no reason not to use it.

Any indication on when the Star Citizen branded HOTAS sticks will be out for purchase? Or I guess it's just showing them off and that's it?
No hard information.

Should I be horribly irresponsible and stay up just to chat with you guys on the twitch stream even though it is completely unreasonable for European time zones?

Probably.

Zabojnik

Should I be horribly irresponsible and stay up just to chat with you guys on the twitch stream even though it is completely unreasonable for European time zones?

Probably.

Search your heart, Dictator93. Search your heart.
I am, so you should as well. CET forevah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom