• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

"Don't knock I till you tried it. Its handled quite nicely in Elite Dangerous (gimballed weapons) so I have faith it can be done well."

I have tried it in Elite Dangerous, I hate it there too. The only thing that might not make it as noxious as it is in Elite is that the weapons aren't hitscan in SC. I just want to aim on my own without being at a disadvantage because everyone else is having the game play itself for them, not looking too likely.

Not all weapons autoaim, it's just class 2 (the gimbled, tracking weapon hardpoints) Class 1 are fixed (all of the Aurora's guns, the 300i's wingtip guns, and the Hornet's nose guns), class 2 track (300i nose gun, Hornet wingtip guns), and class 4 follow head motion (Hornet's canard and ball turrets). I suspect that we'll be able to change class 4 and maybe class 2 to different tracking modes eventually, but it may not be in yet.

"Not all weapons autoaim, it's just class 2 (the gimbled, tracking weapon hardpoints) Class 1 are fixed (all of the Aurora's guns, the 300i's wingtip guns, and the Hornet's nose guns), class 2 track (300i nose gun, Hornet wingtip guns), and class 4 follow head motion (Hornet's canard and ball turrets). I suspect that we'll be able to change class 4 and maybe class 2 to different tracking modes eventually, but it may not be in yet."

Yeah, I'm aware of the limitations to gimballed weapons based on hard point. Also aware that they are planning (or at least considering) multiple ways of controlling the behavior of your gimballed weapons.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't even care what the 890 Jump's specs are, if it looks as amazing as the 300i, just bigger and more luxurious (which it's advertised as), I'm gonna have to give my wallet to a heavily armed guard so I won't touch it.

Zabojnik

Btw, only Shard's and IXM's ships were featured in the teaser for this friday's TNGS episode. Have the crazy Italians dropped out of the race? Wouldn't be surprised to see that they didn't make the deadline. A pity, if that's the case.

Ephemeris

Remember to post in this thread with your citizen name if you applied for the GAF organisation. If you already applied and I did not add you, be sure to post again for I may not find your post :).

Applied to the GAF Organization:

Uee Citizen Record #205221

Handle: Ephemeris

"Delayed until when?"

Delayed until the work out the show stopper (and otherwise critical) bugs. They're going to post a list of bugs every day showing their progress.

SRTtoZ

They promised too much too soon. Not surprised. Its okay, I have a ton of games to play ATM and The Forest early access is coming soon. Just get this game right PLEASE!

As has been said, disappointing but unsurprising. If it was less then a couple of days they would have announced that they were only going to be pushing it back for that long so i imagine something like a week (or two at the most) is more likely. June 5th would probably be earliest.

Lach

Well at least it won't make it hard to decide between Elite Premium Beta and Dogfight Module...

Applied for GAF

[edit] I don't mind the delay as it is, even if by now they are 6 month behind their original schedule. What I think is poor is that the delay announcement comes less than a day before launch.

GeoGonzo

Guessing June 12th.

Shame how the consider the lack of g-force animations a bug... it would probably work a lot better with the Rift.

elyetis

At that point it wouldn't even be surprising to seee the DFM still slip to early June.
It's sad when it get so predictable.
[edit] I don't mind the delay as it is, even if by now they are 6 month behind their original schedule. What I think is poor is that the delay announcement comes less than a day before launch.
The december delay was pretty much the same even thought there is no doubt they made that decision months before that.

Blizzard

Banned
This was the most predictable delay in history.
Perhaps so, but I do agree that announcing delays right before the date is an unpleasant strategy. Maybe they thought they could get everything fixed this time, at the last minute. However, if they thought that, that would seem to show repeated misprediction, which is -also- unpleasant. :p

I was reading back through the thread and saw an post about the dogfighting module as "late april to early may". Those were such young, innocent days.

They are content locked right now with all the teams focussed on those few critical bugs.

Won't take that long to iron out.

I realize this, but if they're intent on following the process they've outlined and stick to the level of release polish they want to push, I don't see it being a week to a week and a half either.

In any case, I am not too bothered by this. I do hope it's in a releasable state before too long though.

Skunkers

Honestly, the PU module is gonna be the biggest bear to get out. Any of these delays for smaller modules are gonna pale in comparison to that. Still backing next month anyways.

Daedardus

I was reading back through the thread and saw an post about the dogfighting module as "late april to early may". Those were such young, innocent days.

Go back further and the planetside module would be released by now. That's actually the only alpha module I'm interested in, and it seems like they want to do FPS first after the DFM and can the planetside :(.

I realize this, but if they're intent on following the process they've outlined and stick to the level of release polish they want to push, I don't see it being a week to a week and a half either.

In any case, I am not too bothered by this. I do hope it's in a releasable state before too long though.

Except they're not doing any polishing now. All they're doing is fixing these major bugs that would prevent people from even playing the game, that's it. This delay is an order of days, not weeks and certainly not months.

In fact, Travis Day was in chat last night and most of the bugs from the post are apparently already fixed with the exception of the multiplayer sync issue. After some QA testing to ensure they truly are fixed and no new issues were caused by the fixes, I imagine they may release to us even without the sync issue fixed so long as single-player is working fine. If I was a betting man, I'd say Monday or Tuesday even. Hell I could see tomorrow being possible if they really churn through QA today.

Onemic

Even though I've been a backer for this game for close to a year now, I never bothered downloading the hanger module since I just assumed it would run terribly on my current PC setup. I'm finally upgrading my PC today and would like to know how my old vs new specs would fair against the module.

Old specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 2.8ghz
AMD Radeon 5770 512mb
4GB DDR2 RAM

New specs:

AMD FX-8320
AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

Even though I'ma backer for this game I never bothered downloading the hanger module since I just assumed it would run terribly on my current PC setup. I'm finally upgrading my PC today and would like to know how my old vs new specs would fair against the module.

Old specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 2.8ghz
AMD Radeon 5770 512mb
4GB DDR2 RAM

New specs:

AMD FX-8320
AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

Old specs would run on low, probably with horrible hitching. It does not even have the minimum amount of VRAM. Not sure if it would even boot tbh @720p.

The new one should run the DFM on High with a pretty safe 30fps @1080p probably. You would definitely need to look into getting an overclock perhaps on your processor.... though Cryengine scales really well with more than 4 cores.

Daedardus

The hangar has mostly some RAM issue, with me running out of memory even with 8GB. 12-16GB is the norm for new PCs nowadays. The CPU and GPU should be able to run the game just fine, but don't expect solid performance at higher settings.

Grief.exe

The hangar has mostly some RAM issue, with me running out of memory even with 8GB. 12-16GB is the norm for new PCs nowadays. The CPU and GPU should be able to run the game just fine, but don't expect solid performance at higher settings.

That issues sounds like a memory leak. I very highly doubt the majority of people have 12-16GB especially when most of that will be wasted outside of a few professional applications.

fresquito

I have a 4770K and a GTX770 4GB and 8GB RAM. Is that a problem?
Same combo and Hangar runs like shit. I used to have a 2500K+HD6850 and it ran as bad as it runs now. If it's any indicator of how Arena Module will run, the bitching will reach epic levels.

Onemic

So, 8gb isn't enough? I guess I can throw an extra 4gb on there. It would probably be better for running unreal engine 4 as well
Same combo and Hangar runs like shit. I used to have a 2500K+HD6850 and it ran as bad as it runs now. If it's any indicator of how Arena Module will run, the bitching will reach epic levels.

Wait, so those specs run the module like crap? An i7 and a 400 dollar GPU? Does the module run bad on nvidia/Intel hardware or should I be worried about my specs then

Grief.exe

So, 8gb isn't enough? I guess I can throw an extra 4gb on there. It would probably be better for running unreal engine 4 as well

The only example of UE4 we have so far is Daylight, which by all accounts is extremely unoptimized. To my knowledge, that game had a VRAM leak issue, not system RAM, two separate entities.

You are perfectly fine with 8GB, there is no reason to go higher than that. I also don't think the FX series of CPUs are triple channel.

I have a 4770K and a GTX770 4GB and 8GB RAM. Is that a problem?

Overclock that CPU, apparently SC is very CPU-intensive.

It is what it is for alpha products, optimization rarely occurs until the very last minute.

fresquito

It is what it is for alpha products, optimization rarely occurs until the very last minute.
Nah, not a matter of alpha optimization. I've been in a few and this goes beyond lack of opimization. It's surely some kind of bug or uncompressed shit going on.

Edit: I'll add that like crap means around 40fps. But taking into account the very nature of the module, the bad IQ, no AA, etc.. I consider 40fps to be crap. For reference I run pCARS, Ultra settings, except envmap and reflections (at high), vsync on, DS2X+FXAA High at a rock solid 60fps. If I disable vsync, it goes up to 70-80fps. And you know, that's an alpha too.

Daedardus

Doesn't the hangar module load everything right into the memory, regardless of draw distance? The lack of LOD is why the hangar runs so poor when you have multiple ships.

Onemic

The only example of UE4 we have so far is Daylight, which by all accounts is extremely unoptimized. To my knowledge, that game had a VRAM leak issue, not system RAM, two separate entities.

You are perfectly fine with 8GB, there is no reason to go higher than that. I also don't think the FX series of CPUs are triple channel.

Overclock that CPU, apparently SC is very CPU-intensive.

What do you mean by triple channel? Is that a good or bad thing in this case?

I mentioned UE4 because im going to be developing a game for it, its really the sole reason why I'm upgrading now instead of later.

Grief.exe

What do you mean by triple channel? Is that a good or bad thing in this case?

I mentioned UE4 because im going to be developing a game for it, its really the sole reason why I'm upgrading now instead of later.

Processors are either dual or triple channeled, simply means that they take advantage of memory that is in even or odd configurations.

A processor that is dual channel will be most efficient when the memory is two or four stick configurations.

elyetis

All those June answers are way too more optimistic than I am.

July would have been my guess at a minimum.
June is only the expectation for the next supposed release date then followed by the ultimate ( or not ) July delay.

Then will come the joy of servers unable to handle the stress for a few weeks.

Faith

Nah, not a matter of alpha optimization. I've been in a few and this goes beyond lack of opimization. It's surely some kind of bug or uncompressed shit going on.

Edit: I'll add that like crap means around 40fps. But taking into account the very nature of the module, the bad IQ, no AA, etc.. I consider 40fps to be crap. For reference I run pCARS, Ultra settings, except envmap and reflections (at high), vsync on, DS2X+FXAA High at a rock solid 60fps. If I disable vsync, it goes up to 70-80fps. And you know, that's an alpha too.
Yeah, I have around 30-40fps in the hangar. It runs like Crysis 3 on Ultra with 4xMSAA but looks far worse.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Doesn't the hangar module load everything right into the memory, regardless of draw distance? The lack of LOD is why the hangar runs so poor when you have multiple ships.

Yeah, there's no LOD in the hangar. Over the last couple of months, they've worked on implemented LODs for the four ships that will be in Arena Commander (Hornet, 300i, Aurora and Scythe) and I think that's the first LOD work they've done so far.

Top Bottom