• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Myggen

Any project can be just as or much more tumultuous, Star Citizen being such a public project is exposing more people to this. All sorts of things can change during the 2+ years of a game development, and as new concepts are implemented, old things must be changed if they're inconsistent with the new par. For example, you can't just drop a 100k poly photoscanned character into an environment with assets designed around the constraints of just a few years ago. Here's another look at how things change in development - so many people touch so many things, and someone has to coordinate all of this and figure out what works and what doesn't, and then actually realize that and move forward with it across every little detail.

Publishers affect things greatly, especially in divergent ideas of what something should be, as seen with Prey 2, Doom 4, etc. Having less people needed to do things make everything a lot easier.

This is very true, and I think crowd funded projects have begun to educate more people on just how messy game development can be. The games industry has traditionally been, and in many ways still is, one of the most secretive entertanment industries out there. But now people get to see some examples of what game development really is, and that's a really good thing.

a916

This is very true, and I think crowd funded projects have begun to educate more people on just how messy game development can be. The games industry has traditionally been, and in many ways still is, one of the most secretive entertanment industries out there. But now people get to see some examples of what game development really is, and that's a really good thing.

If it's one thing that will give light to is that really stupid "downgrade-ton" that's going around. Things change, suddenly adding in a new feature or something drops the frame-rate by 5 and suddenly you have to fight to get those frames back.

Sometimes it's less about trying to trick people in prettier games and more about that's just how game development works and how fluid it is. Especially when in game dev, everything kinda comes together at the last minute.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
M50 Interceptor (WIP) and it looks amazing.. Stefano Tsai is the freelance artist that created this ship.

1-gouetkn27u3o.jpg

3-dbdvmmxl6uq7.jpg

Suddenly, Project CARS in space. Nice.

That reminds me, this game could use a Photo Mode.

epmode

The improvement from that early concept art to that final render is astonishing. Here's hoping we can use it in the next five years.

Daedardus

Is this month's Jumppoint worth subscribing too? I don't mind the money (funding development yay), but I rather have an interesting read in return. :)

Is this month's Jumppoint worth subscribing too? I don't mind the money (funding development yay), but I rather have an interesting read in return. :)

I don't know if it would ever be worth subscribing for just one issue. Most of the information makes it out to the public within a month anyway.

With that said, I do still think it's worth subscribing to further help them with development. Things like Jump Point are just extra goodies to me which I enjoy. :)

Recently got my Jump Point Imperator Edition and it is glorious! It's a really tall book though, so I won't be able to easily put this on any shelf which sucks, but it's still really well done.

Onemic

Tried it out on my upgraded PC.....it runs like shit still. Better, but not what I expected. I average around the 30's on high and the low 20's on very high @1080p. even on high the game will dip to the 20's in certain areas. This is pre-alpha though, so I'll take it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tried it out on my upgraded PC.....it runs like shit still. Better, but not what I expected. I average around the 30's on high and the low 20's on very high @1080p. even on high the game will dip to the 20's in certain areas. This is pre-alpha though, so I'll take it.

hangar is not optimized. at all. can't use that as a benchmark, really :lol

XEROWUN

Neo Member

if you sub, you can literally download the entire PDF library of jump point. i think the earlier issues are pretty interesting since a lot of that info has been outdated.

Daedardus

if you sub, you can literally download the entire PDF library of jump point. i think the earlier issues are pretty interesting since a lot of that info has been outdated.

I've already had a subscription, but subbed again anyway. Was a nice read. Redaing it makes game development sound less magical than it is though, but that's a given since I have some experience in team-based projects too.

The RSI logo is still on the engines however, they better sue Origin Jumpworks!

And there are still some open applications. If I didn't add you as of now, post again :).

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Okay that's the first ship in this game I think actually looks cool, probably won't look much like that in game though

actually it will be (or at least that's the goal) unless your graphic settings are set low. The ships in game right now look similar to this in terms of texture and quality. this was what all the hub bub was about with PBR.

Dead Man

M50 Interceptor (WIP) and it looks amazing.. Stefano Tsai is the freelance artist that created this ship.

1-gouetkn27u3o.jpg

3-dbdvmmxl6uq7.jpg

Still not feeling this design. The little stub wings are all wrong I think. The other two concepts on the old wip images looked much better to me. Actual execution of this design is fantastic though.

Still not feeling this design. The little stub wings are all wrong I think. The other two concepts on the old wip images looked much better to me. Actual execution of this design is fantastic though.

The little front wings are here to break air and reduce airflow resistance on the reversed angle wings behind. Its made for extreme maneuverability in dogfight. Obviously, in here, its for atmospheric flight. See X29 or Su47 in real life.

Syanimuni

Neo Member
Part of the problem is that everything he tweeted was given so much weight because there was virtually no word on the official front. If we'd been told early in the morning (when they knew but didn't tell us) that new blockers had been found on Sunday and to stand by for an end-of-day update, expectations would have been tempered. It's a systemic communication fail.

elyetis

blocker => no go/no go meeting => another delay => QA => repeat

We might get it at the end of June actually, of which year seems more like the question.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
i glad i'm not the only one who noticed. It was odd that he was stringing people along earlier.

He's basically a lifelong fan who's gotten a big boy job doing PR for his childhood hero and he's having difficulty making the transition to professionalism.

Haven't been keeping up too much... Can we expect the module today? When do they typically update the blog?

There's no set time they'll update. All we know is that we should get something "this morning". It's 10am on the West Coast now in the US, so I would hope for news within 2 hours.

As of last night, they should have all of the blockers they mentioned in the post fixed (which is why they didn't have a bug list last night -- there were no "open" blockers), so the build is now getting tested, ensuring no new blockers show up before pushing it out. Assuming all goes well, there is a chance we'll get the module by tonight. It's best not to get your hopes up though. Development is not an exact science. It's best to just think of it as being ready when it's ready and not a moment before. :)

MrBig

From the chat screenshots posted on reddit it seems they got all blockers fixed and ready to go last night, then implemented some additional fixes/polish and broke some things.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Strangely enough. I watched the Wing Commander movie on Netflix today. I'm right in the mood for a good space game.

elyetis

I'm actually pretty confident that the meeting kind of happened this morning, even with what he said, again ended up in a 'no go' but they think they might be able to make into a 'go' before the end of the day, and thus delay any announcement in hope that they don't have to give any bad news today.

GeoGonzo

From the chat screenshots posted on reddit it seems they got all blockers fixed and ready to go last night, then implemented some additional fixes/polish and broke some things.

Honestly, that shit happens to me even with Excel sheets... I'd bet its pretty normal among programmers.

I'm actually pretty confident that the meeting kind of happened this morning, even with what he said, again ended up in a 'no go' but they think they might be able to make into a 'go' before the end of the day, and thus delay any announcement in hope that they don't have to give any bad news today.

... What a sorry state of affairs.

Strangely enough. I watched the Wing Commander movie on Netflix today. I'm right in the mood for a good space game.

I watched that the other day and it wasn't as terrible as people suggested. I mean sure it was bad, but the world being hinted at was a nice tease at things to come (perhaps).

Starviper

Not sure how close you guys are watching the RSI forums but they've just been blowing up all day. Pretty hilarious stuff. I'm patient, it's pre-alpha, but with that being said.. They do suck at community management.

I am very close to buying the $40 package on their site. Been observing this from a distance and it all sounds potentially amazing. Should I just go for it? I know it's still super early.

Daedardus

Freespace 2 is about to be released on Steam, has an amazing modding community.

Or get it now DRM-free on GOG!

Not sure how close you guys are watching the RSI forums but they've just been blowing up all day. Pretty hilarious stuff. I'm patient, it's pre-alpha, but with that being said.. They do suck at community management.

Aren't they always blowing up over the smallest stuff? I'm wondering how the PU will fare with this kind of people.

I am very close to buying the $40 package on their site. Been observing this from a distance and it all sounds potentially amazing. Should I just go for it? I know it's still super early.

Just wait till the dogfighting module is actually released :).

Top Bottom