• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Jb

I am very close to buying the $40 package on their site. Been observing this from a distance and it all sounds potentially amazing. Should I just go for it? I know it's still super early.

Why not wait for the DFM to actually come out? You're not losing anything.

Zabojnik

Aren't they always blowing up over the smallest stuff? I'm wondering how the PU will fare with this kind of people.

You say it like there's any other kind of people when it comes to MMOs. :p Honestly, if you can get past the crazy/raging/teenage part of the community, the rest is fine.

Can you just enter any time or is it too late already?

edit: seems its kind of too late already I guess.

Pretty sure we're getting a "season 2" of The Next Great Starship next year. That'll be your chance. :)

Kinthalis

Banned
Sucks, but RSI had to know that crowdfunding = publishers in the "oh my god shut the f up and let us do our thing" kind of way.

I doubt they're going to release any sort of firm dates for anythign else ever again. And I don't blame them. People are irrational often, and many just like to troll.

Zabojnik

Sucks, but RSI had to know that crowdfunding = publishers in the "oh my god shut the f up and let us do our thing" kind of way.

I doubt they're going to release any sort of firm dates for anythign else ever again. And I don't blame them. People are irrational often, and many just like to troll.

Or they could just what I do, ignore the fucking whiners.

Not sure how close you guys are watching the RSI forums but they've just been blowing up all day. Pretty hilarious stuff. I'm patient, it's pre-alpha, but with that being said.. They do suck at community management.

I have been watching, thing is a powderkeg crazy place man.

metalshade

I gave in, I had to.
I just bought the Cutlass.
My plan is to have my Aurora LN LTI fly as my wingman piloted by a willing NeoGAF clan member,
and then I pilot the Cutlass with a hired NPC, or another clannie as my turretman / co-pilot, and we can be browncoats of a sort.
At least, I hope that's how it turns out...we might just go full bounty hunters or mercenaries, or pirates! Can't wait.
I hope that the NPC's for hire work out well, whenever they get implemented.
BTW, any word on if the Cutlass is actually going to be flyable at some point in the DFM?
Edit: Thanks MrBig. Looking forward to trying out both my ships whenever Chris gives the go ahead.

Rudelord

They just added the ability to change your ship package to another on the pledge store.

Swap aurora to hornet, 300i to hornet, etc

So if you got a Aurora with LTI and want something better, well there you go.

GeoGonzo

Not sure how close you guys are watching the RSI forums but they've just been blowing up all day. Pretty hilarious stuff. I'm patient, it's pre-alpha, but with that being said.. They do suck at community management.

There's a thread there titled:

"Stretch Goal 48m - external business audit"

Cracked me up.

metalshade

They just added the ability to change your ship package to another on the pledge store.

Swap aurora to hornet, 300i to hornet, etc

So if you got a Aurora with LTI and want something better, well there you go.

Wait...what? How does that work? Edit: yep, its there, and its awesome.

There's a thread there titled:

"Stretch Goal 48m - external business audit"

Cracked me up.

The sad part is, this might need to happen

Robertson has now pumped money into 3 different studios, and "concept software" to test out procedural generation stuff that won't be viable until 2017 at the earliest.

And then you have the oft delayed Dogfight Module....

a 45 mission "AAA quality" single player campaign being developed in the U.K., while Robertson is based in the USA....

DFM is now a bit over 1 month behind schedule after the 1st 2 delays....

At this pint, SC needs its own dedicated engine, as it seems most of the delays stem from Cryengine's netcode....

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The sad part is, this might need to happen

Robertson has now pumped money into 3 different studios, and "concept software" to test out procedural generation stuff that won't be viable until 2017 at the earliest.

And then you have the oft delayed Dogfight Module....

a 45 mission "AAA quality" single player campaign being developed in the U.K., while Robertson is based in the USA....

DFM is now a bit over 1 month behind schedule after the 1st 2 delays....

At this pint, SC needs its own dedicated engine, as it seems most of the delays stem from Cryengine's netcode....

They delays are not due to Cryengines netcode, they are not even using Cryengines netcode. They have written their own everything in the networking department. It IS already essentialy their own network component in the engine. At this point Cryengine is merely the basis for the rendering and game logic on the client side end.

pelican

I take it we will get access to a ship in the DFM. The reason I ask is neither of my two ships (Avenger and 325a) are included at the start.

Is there potential for this actually going up?

There is the potential, sure. It seems unlikely though since it's almost 5:30pm on the West Coast.

At this point, there are likely two options for what's going on:

1) The build was signed off, and they already started deployment and are waiting to post about it until it's ready to download instead of making a post saying when it will be ready. This is the dream scenario, but I think it's unlikely. If this is what's going on, CIG is going to have a LONG night ahead of them trying to launch something late in the day. Plus, they depend on other companies for launching the game, so they need to make sure they get proper support there as well. It's a matter of logistics which makes me believe this isn't what's happening.

2) They found new issues so are waiting until later in the day to see if they can be fixed so they can provide an up to date status on their progress. This is what happened yesterday. They found new issues during the day, but were able to fix them by the evening which is why yesterday's report didn't contain a bug list (no known issues). Of course, during testing of the new build they may still uncover more issues and the cycle will continue.

You'll get a 300i and a Hornet to fly.

Actually the Avenger's cost equivalent is the 300i as well (Avenger is $75 and the Hornet is $125 -- Freelancer and up will get you the Hornet), so he will likely just get the 300i to fly with.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Actually the Avenger's cost equivalent is the 300i as well (Avenger is $75 and the Hornet is $125 -- Freelancer and up will get you the Hornet), so he will likely just get the 300i to fly with.

Eh, maybe. I guess we'll see. Or 70s Style Pimp will.

Dead Man

The little front wings are here to break air and reduce airflow resistance on the reversed angle wings behind. Its made for extreme maneuverability in dogfight. Obviously, in here, its for atmospheric flight. See X29 or Su47 in real life.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The canards are fine, it is the tiny little main wings that bother me :) It is a space craft, not an air craft, and they are too small to be effective anyway. Still, rule of cool and all that, I don't expect the designs to be super realistic, I just think it doesn't look good AND is not realistic. It should be on or the other :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The canards are fine, it is the tiny little main wings that bother me :) It is a space craft, not an air craft, and they are too small to be effective anyway. Still, rule of cool and all that, I don't expect the designs to be super realistic, I just think it doesn't look good AND is not realistic. It should be on or the other :)
I agree with this as well -- the real fighter jets linked look like they have wings that would be functional on a real fighter jet. For a spacecraft, it just looks a little silly, and too small for proper fighter jet flight.

Daedardus

The reason for that is that smaller spacecraft should be flyable in atmosphere, regarding to take off and landing. Larger spacecraft can generate more power and have bigger engines to overcome the drag in atmospheric flight. And even larger ships in the games are just not able to land, they have to be loaded in space by smaller aircraft.

ASTROID2

Wow Ben owns an actual hover board.
10358216_724052384299o7lby.jpg

Top Bottom