• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek's New Animated Series Is Called "Lower Deck"

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a24226154/lower-deck-star-trek-announcement/

ar Trek never really goes away, but it's having a renaissance at the moment unlike any in the history of the franchise. It's a new golden age, and it's fun as heck—for Trekkies and regular humans alike.
CBS has been releasing new Trek every month in the form of the excellent Short Treks. Then there's Star Trek: Discovery, currently ramping up for its second season, and we're learning more every day about the upcoming Picard series. Next up in this wonderful embarrassment of Trekness: a funny cartoon.

Star Trek: Lower Deck is the name of Alex Kurtzman's long-rumored Star Trekanimated series. The show is designed to be a half-hour comedy, written by Rick and Morty alum Mike McMahan, which will focus on a starship's lesser-known characters, mainly the support crew who work in—you guessed it—the lower decks.

Lower Deck will also be Star Trek's return to animation after the short-lived Star Trek: The Animated Series, which ran from 1973-1974 (pictured above), and will be a straight-to-series order with two seasons already greenlit. Although we don't know when the show will premiere or how many episodes will fill each season, the show will sit along side Discovery and the untitled Picard show on CBS All Access.

"Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end," said executive producer Alex Kurtzman in a press release. "His cat's name is Riker. His son's name is Sagan. The man is committed."

In addition to these impressive Trek credentials, McMahan started a Twitter account in 2011 posting his own season-eight fanfic for The Next Generation (he even went on to write a book about it). Interestingly, season seven of TNG has an episode titled "Lower Decks," which focuses on the junior officers onboard the Starship Enterprise (and an episode of Voyagerdoes the same).
"It's undeniably 'Trek,'" McMahan says about Lower Deck. "I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program."
Although there is no word yet on when within the Trek timeline the show will take place, McMahan's apparent obsession with The Next Generation would seem like a good place to start.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
kgnukmhxfpk7fqfms8rp.jpg

so judging this promo image it seems like this was rubber stamped by whatever woke corporation dictates all product design these days:

- Non binary coloured hair person comes first. Hands on hips, they are impatient and demanding.

-White man shrugging and looking foolish as everyone scolds him for being a dumb white man. His mouth is the only one open because white men need to shut up.

- Sassy Black Woman crosses her arms and throws a vindictive stare towards whitey. This communicates she could do a better job than him. She is taller than him though whether that is simply because of his poor posture vs her upright stance, or she is actually taller, the imagery is quite clear.

- Black man at the end for diversity points also he is a cyborg (much like DC’s Cyborg, a black man that has no lower half (no dick)). Kind of a blank look on his face as he looks at not just the white man but the black lady, almost as if waiting for approval before he can react. As in real life he comes last.

Granted this is a surface level look at a still image but it really tells me instantly everything I need to know about the show. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My take on current Trek, in order of quality:

-Discovery is some weird action packed violent schlock that I find mindlessly entertaining for the high def pew pew pews and alternate take on the TOS era. I’ll probably watch season 2 someday.

-Picard was hella dumb but had great production values. The plot was a total ripoff of shit like Mass Effect and full of tropes that made me want to turn it off. Soju or doge or whatever is hot. Probably won’t bother hate watching season 2.

-Trailer for The Decks Below or whatever was so cringe it made me want to kill myself like that Romulan who stared into the abyss on Picard. If I ever tried to watch an episode I may do it.

Side note: watched Q Who? Last night after watching the RLM Re:View of their favorite Trek episodes. They don’t make them like they used to.

kgnukmhxfpk7fqfms8rp.jpg

so judging this promo image it seems like this was rubber stamped by whatever woke corporation dictates all product design these days:

- Non binary coloured hair person comes first. Hands on hips, they are impatient and demanding.

-White man shrugging and looking foolish as everyone scolds him for being a dumb white man. His mouth is the only one open because white men need to shut up.

- Sassy Black Woman crosses her arms and throws a vindictive stare towards whitey. This communicates she could do a better job than him. She is taller than him though whether that is simply because of his poor posture vs her upright stance, or she is actually taller, the imagery is quite clear.

- Black man at the end for diversity points also he is a cyborg (much like DC’s Cyborg, a black man that has no lower half (no dick)). Kind of a blank look on his face as he looks at not just the white man but the black lady, almost as if waiting for approval before he can react. As in real life he comes last.

Granted this is a surface level look at a still image but it really tells me instantly everything I need to know about the show. Am I wrong?

You do realize that the Star Trek series, from the 60's onward, has always been socially progressive in many ways? If what you are projecting is true that it wouldn't really feel that out of the ordinary for the series?

You do realize that the Star Trek series, from the 60's onward, has always been socially progressive in many ways? If what you are projecting is true that it wouldn't really feel that out of the ordinary for the series?
Yes, I really miss those days and wish we'd go back to it, instead of the hate filled, divisive crap, that spits in the face of freedom, equality and unity, that pretends to be progressivsim today.

This shit is the exact opposite of what Star Trek used to be.

Puerile, aggressive, emotionally incontinent, all inspired by and riddled with an ideology that decries actual Star Trek, with it's vision of a future that has moved on from the very concept of inequality, povery and racial differences as 'white supremecy'.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
You do realize that the Star Trek series, from the 60's onward, has always been socially progressive in many ways?

Big difference between socially progressive and patronizing. That image is pure gold, show me a screenshot like that from any of the other Star Trek shows.

Last edited:
Yes, I really miss those days and wish we'd go back to it, instead of the hate filled, divisive crap, that spits in the face of freedom, equality and unity, that pretends to be progressivsim today.

This shit is the exact opposite of what Star Trek used to be.

Puerile, aggressive, emotionally incontinent, all inspired by and riddled with an ideology that decries actual Star Trek, with it's vision of a future that has moved on from the very concept of inequality, povery and racial differences as 'white supremecy'.

You extrapolated all of that from a single frame of animation?

Spaceman292

Banned
kgnukmhxfpk7fqfms8rp.jpg

'Oh no! Not BLACK PEOPLE :O '

Anyway Alex Kurtzman is attached to this so itll be shit 100%

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It's called character design and yes, it's possible and even needed to do that.
It's an animated/tv show, everything on screen was a choice made by somebody.

It's if it wasn't intentional that we should be even more worried.

Yep, that is Rick and Morty-style "humor" and it is as "sophisticated" as it ever was. Very smert.

What a hideous art style too. Good lord, we got a sexy alien lion chick out of the TAS and now all we get is butt-ugly Cal-Arts garbage. It's animated, you can make whatever you want - give us some weird or interesting designs, like Zoidberg in Futurama, not people with odd hair colors or green skin or a (visually out-of place) eye prosthesis.

Ovek

7Member7
I didn't mind it, it's not brilliant but it is better than any other of the recent Star Trek dreck. The the main female character is very "high energy" and therefore loud at fuck at all times, if it continues it will just become incredibly grating and will stop watching.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I didn't mind it, it's not brilliant but it is better than any other of the recent Star Trek dreck. The the main female character is very "high energy" and therefore loud at fuck at all times, if it continues it will just become incredibly grating and will stop watching.

I think that's a problem with modern animation. It's always so fucking loud and "Lol randumb".

It's why I couldn't watch the ducktales reboot.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Laugh at him all you want, but he is 100% accurate. That is really fucking sad.
yes the generic as fuck art style, all the Rick & Morty style characters with the smug smirks on their faces. plus the bog standard use of SJW tropes, in a single image, it instantly makes clear what type of show this is. not saying im passing final judgement, because i haven't seen it, and won't watch it. that's just my initial take and i wanted to drive home how generic this shit is. this looks like a million other cartoons.
'Oh no! Not BLACK PEOPLE :O '
lol this what you got from my take? hahah guess i need to mindwipe decades of loving Trek and being introduced to it via Lavar Burton on Reading Rainbow and enjoying his character of Geordi La Forge. or for loving Captain Sisko on Deep Space 9. or Guinan on TNG. or Uhura on TOS. yeah all those times i was pretending they were white. you caught me /s

lol this is like people that accuse people that don't like Star Wars of hating women and black people when Princess Leia and Lando literally save the day in everyone's favorite film. go on with your woke fantasy tho hahaha.

i'll shut up and leave this thread to the poor souls who actually subject themselves to this show.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
yes the generic as fuck art style, all the Rick & Morty style characters with the smug smirks on their faces. plus the bog standard use of SJW tropes, in a single image, it instantly makes clear what type of show this is. not saying im passing final judgement, because i haven't seen it, and won't watch it. that's just my initial take and i wanted to drive home how generic this shit is. this looks like a million other cartoons.

lol this what you got from my take? hahah guess i need to mindwipe decades of loving Trek and being introduced to it via Lavar Burton on Reading Rainbow and enjoying his character of Geordi La Forge. or for loving Captain Sisko on Deep Space 9. or Guinan on TNG. or Uhura on TOS. yeah all those times i was pretending they were white. you caught me /s

lol this is like people that accuse people that don't like Star Wars of hating women and black people when Princess Leia and Lando literally save the day in everyone's favorite film. go on with your woke fantasy tho hahaha.

i'll shut up and leave this thread to the poor souls who actually subject themselves to this show.
You were literally complaining about the characters being black.

Current Star Trek is basically a rotten corpse in gaudy make up, being puppeteered by a retarded demon of spite and desecration.
Yep. Picard was mostly crap. Discovery is creatively bankrupt and Lower Deck Looks like a turd.

I liked the reboot movies enough but they aren’t great either.

it’s over Jim. Don’t hit Star Wars hit you on the way out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so im reading about the show more. everything i read makes me want to not watch it more and more LOL

Tawny Newsome as Beckett Mariner:
An ensign aboard the U.S.S. Cerritos. Newsome described the character as irreverent and someone who does not follow the rules, though she is actually "very good at all things Starfleet, she just doesn’t care" and has been demoted several times. Newsome added that Mariner "just wants to ride her skateboard and eat her piece of pizza in peace, man". Her mother is Captain Freeman and her father is an Admiral.
cool so a smartass Mary Sue who doesn't follow the rules and doesn't care about anything because she is so good "at all things Starfleet" and nepotism is the only reason she is there. what an appealing main character. can't wait to see her lecture everyone else.
Jack Quaid as Brad Boimler:
An ensign aboard the Cerritos, Boimler is a stickler for the rules and will need to learn how to improvise if he is to become a Captain one day. Quaid described the character by saying "he would nail the written portion of the driving test with flying colors but once it actually got to him being in the car, it would be a complete and total disaster".
so an idiot man who literally can't do anything no matter how hard he tries. wow my initial suspicions were WAY off.
Noël Wells as D'Vana Tendi:
An ensign in the medical bay aboard the Cerritos, Tendi is a big fan of Starfleet, who is always thrilled to be working on a starship. She is new to the Cerritos at the start of the series, and helps introduce the audience to the setting and characters. Executive Producer Mike McMahan saw Tendi as acting like himself if he ever got the chance to work on a starship.
so a character who is the self aware built-in "fan" of the show? a fan fiction self insert patterned after the show runner. great. i smell a bunch of winky winky consumer friendly meta humor coming on.
Eugene Cordero as Sam Rutherford:
An ensign aboard the Cerritos, Rutherford is adjusting to a new cyborg implant. Comparable to the Star Trek: The Next Generation character Geordi La Forge, they are both "amazing at engineering stuff" but Rutherford does not always solve the problem like Geordi because he is still learning.
so he is a worse version of an older character, got it. does he have any other characteristics, or he just a bad version of Geordi? also yes the problem with Geordi is he was too OP /s "a man fails at a task!" wow what a brilliant subversion you have!
Dawnn Lewis as Carol Freeman: The captain of the Cerritos. Described as a capable Starfleet captain whose starship is not very important. She is also Ensign Mariner's mother.
the ship is not very important! well thanks for telling me this. im guessing since this fact was one of the defining characteristics of the captain, it's going to be a running gag, that something i am investing my time into is unimportant. yep that bog standard MSM nihilism for ya. this is by the Rick and Morty guy? you don't sayyyyy...

then i read this promotional interview and LOL'd even more
Though billed as a comedy, showrunner Mike McMahan insists it will nonetheless tackle real science fiction stories. McMahan elaborated on this point in a recent interview with Inverse:

"We have all the problems that a regular Star Trek show would have, which is don't do any episodes that they've already done across the series in the movies. And on top of that, you don't want to do a separate episode that happens to accidentally be similar to a Stargate Atlantis episode or to a Farscape episode. So we've got all of that, trying to make sure that what we're doing is new and interesting and fits in the canon. But then also, you know, the comedic emotional stories. There's [no character] who's dumb on Lower Decks, and there's nobody who's mean."
so being unable to recycle plots is "a problem". he is terrified of accidentally making something simliar to other shows too. which.... eh.... is the goal of the show to tell a good story or to try and "surprise" people with how "original" you are while doing a cartoon based on of a 50 year old franchise.

he's also trying to fit canon (oh boy! i love ST canon! especially now that it is helmed by a Rick and Morty flunkie!). "what we're doing is new and interesting" hahahaha you sound like Rian Johnson trying to justify his Empire Strikes Back ripoff. LOL this interview with the showrunner gives me so much confidence. not.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
In the latest episode the Klingon bleeds red. I was liking the show up until this shit. What the everfucking fuck?!!

Kagey K

Banned
I watched the first episode and it was pretty good. I’ll give it a few more and see what happens.

It’s like Star Trek meets Final Space/Rick and Morty.

Actual context: They're under the effect of a love drug that as a side effect also greatly enhances feelings of friendship.
Context? On Twitter?
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously though, I bet someone else pointed it out in the Twitter thread but was buried under the "omg yass queen" bullshit

Actual context: They're under the effect of a love drug that as a side effect also greatly enhances feelings of friendship.
I'm amazed the old cartoon doesn't get more love.

While clearly aimed at a younger audience, it's still the same cast and what it lacked in adult themes, it made up for in interesting designs and effects you couldn’t do in live action, leading to some properly batshit moments.

Last edited:

Kadve

I'm amazed the old cartoon doesn't get more love.

While clearly aimed at a younger audience, it's still the same cast and what it lacked in adult themes, it made up for in interesting designs and effects you couldn’t do in live action, leading to some properly batshit moments.

All the interesting designs and effects don't mean squat though if the show looks and sounds as bad as ST:TAS though. The cast is clearly not used to voice acting and the animation is well, 70s filmation...

ItsGreat

All the interesting designs and effects don't mean squat though if the show looks and sounds as bad as ST:TAS though. The cast is clearly not used to voice acting and the animation is well, 70s filmation...

Shatner always sounds like that.:messenger_winking_tongue:

A bit of sound editing and new animation and they could've used the audio from ST:TAS to bring animated Trek to a new crowd.

I have to say, all the new Trek series seem to be designed for people who hate Star Trek. Discovery did so many weird things that it felt like a sci-fi show that was half-completed before getting the Star Trek license. Picard felt like an alternate timeline, Lower Decks is in the same vein. These people must really, really hate Star Trek.

I watched the first episode of Lower Decks, and it just seems like the show runners don’t know Trek at all. They have no love or reverence for the source material they’re drawing from. There’s so many ridiculous tropes in Star Trek that you could make a comedic series, while still making it feel like Trek.

I don’t get it. Why tear down and destroy the thing that was beloved?

The woke vírus has infected all entertainment being produced in the west nowadays. They all follow the same tropes.
Straight white men are stupid, incompetent or evil. Fathers must be stupid or absent. White women usually are the queens of all minorities. Black men must be completely passive and harmless. All women are the bestest friends ever.

The woke vírus has infected all entertainment being produced in the west nowadays. They all follow the same tropes.
Straight white men are stupid, incompetent or evil. Fathers must be stupid or absent. White women usually are the queens of all minorities. Black men must be completely passive and harmless. All women are the bestest friends ever.
And Middle Eastern men are meek, effeminate geeks.

highrider

Banned
Man they’re really handling the franchise well, I look forward to an Ellen level scandal coming out in the future 👍

ItsGreat

Are any of you seeing this shit?

It's so bad that I have to turn it off if the wife walks into the room from sheer embarrassment. I do not want to be caught watching it, or anyone over hearing it as I watch it.

Watching Teen Titans Go with the kids is God tier compared to this. Barbie and The Dreamhouse as well.

And it shows how Futurama was on in top gear at ALL levels.

The creators and writers should feel ashamed.

It looks good, the actors sound good. The musics good, the trek look is spot on.

The creativity and quick fire comedy is fucked.

frostyxc

This show is doing so well on CBS All Access to Banality that they're giving it away for free on any streaming platform that will take it. Success!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Are any of you seeing this shit?

It's so bad that I have to turn it off if the wife walks into the room from sheer embarrassment. I do not want to be caught watching it, or anyone over hearing it as I watch it.

Watching Teen Titans Go with the kids is God tier compared to this. Barbie and The Dreamhouse as well.

And it shows how Futurama was on in top gear at ALL levels.

The creators and writers should feel ashamed.

It looks good, the actors sound good. The musics good, the trek look is spot on.

The creativity and quick fire comedy is fucked.

Why...are you wasting your time with it? I’m not kidding, the trailer was so bad there’s just zero reason to even hate watch it.

Top Bottom