• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws Main Character Already Hit With Criticism Due to Ubisoft Changing Actress Apperance

Sethbacca

And looking at her IMDB, she has a history of doing a bunch of voiceover work. Her characters in Avatar (she wasn't even a single npc, she did VA for a few characters as Na'vi) and Farcry 6 looked nothing like her. She was probably hired more for experience doing voiceover work than her actual look because frankly almost nobody would recognize her as a famous actress. If you guys really wanna froth go check out her character in Farcry 6 so you can cry some more.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The whole argument in this thread is, on it's face (pun intended), barely worth looking at or discussing. It permeates way too many of the threads on this board. If this place wasn't obsessed with talking about REE, or saying something is WOKE or DEI then there would be almost nothing posted around here. The culture wars are fucking retarded and so yeah, my opinion of the dudes that engage in this nonsense is pretty low.
Why do you partecipate to these discussions if we are too low iq and thirst for you?

Just ignore the topic buddy.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Voice actors can play a wide variety of characters. There is no need to make the character look like the actor. This is done all the time in animation.

DanielG165

The fact that this thread has reached 450 posts, 454 counting this one, is baffling to me, especially the notion that actor mocap automatically equals the character they’re portraying needing to look exactly like them, when in reality it very much depends on the plot, circumstances, and vision of the director and what they’re trying to go for. A super attractive, smooth faced femme fatale would not in any way suit a character that is supposed to be scrounging, thieving, and chilling in the underworld of space during a galactic civil war.

Kay may not be as inherently “pretty” as Gonzáles, who plays her, but “homely” she certainly is not.

That is the last adjective I’d personally use to describe this.
oKPAK8X.jpg

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Why do you partecipate to these discussions if we are too low iq and thirst for you?

Just ignore the topic buddy.
For the same reason that you all post this stuff. Your perception is that society is on the wrong course and you want to point it out. Many people think that these topics are ridiculous and point it out.

Boglin

The whole argument in this thread is, on it's face (pun intended), barely worth looking at or discussing. It permeates way too many of the threads on this board. If this place wasn't obsessed with talking about REE, or saying something is WOKE or DEI then there would be almost nothing posted around here. The culture wars are fucking retarded and so yeah, my opinion of the dudes that engage in this nonsense is pretty low.
You yourself are engaging in the culture war in this very thread. Or at the very least, you're protecting windmills.

GymWolf

For the same reason that you all post this stuff. Your perception is that society is on the wrong course and you want to point it out. Many people think that these topics are ridiculous and point it out.
Well at least you scaled down from most people to many people, small victories for us low iq dudes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Look around and you are gonna realize that at least inside gaf, you are really a few, most people have noticed what is going on with society.

Boglin

I mean, to some extent you're right. I usually only jump into these threads when I have nothing better to do and I'm trying to avoid what I actually should be doing. So on that note, i'll leave you guys to your fun.
Don't get me wrong, I normally just lurk and I actually really enjoy reading opinions like yours which go against the grain of the forum. I just thought it was weird to see you pop into the fray only to announce later that you're above the fray.

Sethbacca

Well at least you scaled down from most people to many people, small victories for us low iq dudes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Look around and you are gonna realize that at least inside gaf, you are really a few, most people have noticed what is going on with society.
If you tried to have this conversation with the average person in the street, they would laugh in your face and think that you're ridiculous for even attempting to have the discussion that video game characters are less attractive than they used to be. You're right when you specify that "inside GAF" part of your post though, because this place is (at least at times) as much of an echo chamber as the other place, but just in the opposite direction. The reality is that you've also surrounded yourself with likeminded people in an echo chamber and feel righteous and right as a result.

People that frequent videogame forums are a fraction of actual gamers, and the number of people that agree with the with either forum's echo chamber is even smaller. Where this place has the advantage is there's clearly less thought policing, but also a lot more people I'd tend to disagree with.

Sethbacca

Don't get me wrong, I normally just lurk and I actually really enjoy reading opinions like yours which go against the grain of the forum. I just thought it was weird to see you pop into the fray only to announce later that you're above the fray.
I'm definitely not above it. I've participated in this shit a lot more than I'd care to admit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

If you tried to have this conversation with the average person in the street, they would laugh in your face and think that you're ridiculous for even attempting to have the discussion that video game characters are less attractive than they used to be. You're right when you specify that "inside GAF" part of your post though, because this place is (at least at times) as much of an echo chamber as the other place, but just in the opposite direction. The reality is that you've also surrounded yourself with likeminded people in an echo chamber and feel righteous and right as a result.

People that frequent videogame forums are a fraction of actual gamers, and the number of people that agree with the with either forum's echo chamber is even smaller. Where this place has the advantage is there's clearly less thought policing, but also a lot more people I'd tend to disagree with.
An average person in the street doesn't give 2 fucks about videogames dude, you could ask him the most serious question about level design and balancement and the answer would be the same, it's a false equivalence but nice try.

Now try to tell at the average man or woman that every movie or serial they are gonna watch, it's only gonna have ugly or average women\men and see how it goes, i'm sure the reaction is gonna be wildly different.

Or try to tell to a dude who watch formula 1 that from now on, he can only watch toyota corolla racing each other.

I think you can see my point (i hope).

Last edited:

Sethbacca

An average person in the street doesn't give 2 fucks about videogames dude, you could ask him the most serious question about level design and balancement and the answer wouod be the same, it's a false equivalence but nice try.

Now try to tell at the average male that every movie or serial that is gonna watch, it's only gonna have ugly or average women and see how it goes.

Or try to tell to a dude who watch formula 1 that from now on, he can only watch toyota corolla racing each other.

I think you can see my point (i hope).
I mean, is it really a false equivalence though when you were the first one talking about society at large? Direct quote from your previous post "Look around and you are gonna realize that at least inside gaf, you are really a few, most people have noticed what is going on with society."

The average person in the street is a member of society. You implied that MOST people have noticed what is going on with society. So by saying that we should talk to the average person on the street, are we or are we not discussing the exact point that you made? I suppose you may have been pointing to most people on GAF, but then you should have said "Most people on GAF" which would not be most people in society, which would make the entire point of your post kind of moot.

Last edited:

Is that really what’s happening here? Attempting to isolate this incident, pretending that there hasn’t been a concerted effort to masculinise women, to redefine female beauty standards in current day is an absurd stance to take. If you like mannish women, if being obtuse is satisfying to you, that’s your prerogative. What you don’t get to do is pretend to be some kind of arbiter of reality. This idea that we are simply an echo chamber and that regular people haven’t noticed DEI being injected into every consumerable entertainment format is laughable.

Sethbacca

Is that really what’s happening here? Attempting to isolate this incident, pretending that there hasn’t been a concerted effort to masculinise women, to redefine female beauty standards in current day is an absurd stance to take. If you like mannish women, if being obtuse is satisfying to you, that’s your prerogative. What you don’t get to do is pretend to be some kind of arbiter of reality. This idea that we are simply an echo chamber and that regular people haven’t noticed DEI being injected into every consumerable entertainment format is laughable.
I mean, I personally prefer hyper feminine women with big tits and fat asses personally. I just don't act like it's some catastrophe when every character in every piece of media isn't presented in that manner. When it comes to storytelling i'd prefer a compelling character whatever they look like over a 2d piece of tits and ass.

GymWolf

I mean, is it really a false equivalence though when you were the first one talking about society at large? Direct quote from your previous post "Look around and you are gonna realize that at least inside gaf, you are really a few, most people have noticed what is going on with society."

The average person in the street is a member of society. You implied that MOST people have noticed what is going on with society. So by saying that we should talk to the average person on the street, are we or are we not discussing the exact point that you made?
No i implied that people INSIDE gaf have noticed what happened to society, english is not my first language but it think it was pretty clear, sorry if it wasn't.

But most woke serials and movies and vg are failing badly so saying that the whole society is waking up is not a large mistake on my part, but of course the average dude on the street is still not gonna give a fuck about anything videogame related.

I love how you ignored my other example tho, because you know that no one would be ok with having ugly and average women\men in their shows and movies.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I love how you ignored my other example tho, because you know that no one would be ok with having ugly and average women in their shows and movies.
The average character of the average show is absolutely average. You typically get maybe a hot main character or two, and the rest of the cast are normal people made up to look slightly better than the average person, but that's all it is, makeup and movie magic. And yeah, I wasn't trying to pick your language apart, I respect the fact that you know multiple languages, I was just trying to speak to the point you were making.

Crayon

The in-game model is not the worst , and you picked a few where she looks decent . But the developer could have done a better job and kept her looking more like the original mocap actress .

kxb3pixh39vzpkiv.jpg

6ea4171c7e8f1df60e9ac063071b55d912812f97.gif

humberly-gonzalez_0004.jpeg

I'm kind of wondering if the reaction would have been any different if the MC looked just like her. She's young and cute, but average. If I walked into a Jamba juice and saw that girl squeezing oranges or whatever I wouldn't think anything of it. I think people would be just as eager to scrub the trailer for a bad cap and try to make something out of nothing. The sweet baby stuff, female character designs, stellar blade desktop, it's all real. But some people are getting carried away.

GymWolf

The average character of the average show is absolutely average. You typically get maybe a hot main character or two, and the rest of the cast are normal people made up to look slightly better than the average person, but that's all it is, makeup and movie magic. And yeah, I wasn't trying to pick your language apart, I respect the fact that you know multiple languages, I was just trying to speak to the point you were making.
The thing is, in videogames when it comes to women, we are not even getting that beatiful protagonist\sidecharacters anymore.

Devs do their best to make every female character ugly or average at best, in the best case they have a cute face with a terrible haircut that ruin everything, at a certain point, not having any beatiful character become more unrealistic than having too much of them.

Devs lost their balance, and let's be real, videogames are not reality, there is even less reasons compared to a movie to make everyone purposely ugly.
Nobody had a problem when 15 years ago most protagonist were beatiful, we still had great games with great stories, making videogame people average looking doesn't make writing better or more authentic, except in the most grounded, realistic, bleak games (aka the vast minority of videogames).

NickFire

I'm kind of wondering if the reaction would have been any different if the MC looked just like her. She's young and cute, but average. If I walked into a Jamba juice and saw that girl squeezing oranges or whatever I wouldn't think anything of it. I think people would be just as eager to scrub the trailer for a bad cap and try to make something out of nothing. The sweet baby stuff, female character designs, stellar blade desktop, it's all real. But some people are getting carried away.
I think some people are getting carried away too. But hard disagree on the average part.

I am pretty sure that Disney was telling their investors last Autumn that they realised they had gone to far in the misalignment between "consumer's expectations" and their political agenda. Mainly because their big releases are all big flops these days. Frozen made well over a billion dollars - Encanto made less than a quarter of that. The Mario movie last year proved that box office is there for animated movies if you make something that isn't ramming a political agenda down people's throats. South Park's pandering episode was right on the button.

It's going to take a while to right that ship, as presumably projects are greenlit and staffed years in advance these days. Who knows if this game will fall into the same trash can as all the new Marvel dreck - people will query the same thing about that Captain America game set in wartime Paris with no wartime Parisians to play as, but I think it is fair for people to be concerned - and probably even hyper-sensitive about it. Disney have done this to themselves. 5 years ago the only comment on this game would have been how excited everyone was to see it.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Devs do their best to make every female character ugly or average at best, in the best case they have a cute face with a terrible haircut that ruin everything, at a certain point, not having any beatiful character become more unrealistic than having too much of them.
I think you're assuming a lot of intent to get to a point where you're making this statement. None of that conjecture is based in anything but supposition on your part and the part of everyone else that says such things. At the end of the day, all of these companies want to make money, and if they feel like sexying up the characters will do that then that's the route they'll go. Unless you've got some direct line to the directors, artists, and storytellers behind these projects, then everyone is pulling shit out of their ass about intentionally uglifying everything and just making up this whole narrative that has everyone here screeching.

At some point you need to step back and ask yourself if you're in an echo chamber (and I'd posit the answer is a resounding "yes")

Last edited:
I kinda disagree with this, only because these character models aren't really 'ugly' women. They're androgenous. They're designed to look more masculine, because the people making them are men who want to be women. That's the 'modern' ideology. That's why they'll take attractive female actors and make them look more masculine. If it was a feminist thing, they wouldn't bother to even hire the pretty actress to begin with. They'd go with an actual plainer, more 'normal' looking, or 'uglier' woman.

Feminism has been around for many, many years. But we've never had this kind of masculinisation of female characters before, and the reasons for it are quite obvious.
This makes total sense, and has been my thought for a long time now. Problem with this theory is, why are the game directors and publishers not saying "that won't due"?
Seriously, it makes now sense to approve it. They have multi-millon dollar games with many peoples jobs on the line, yet they push out characters that no one but a fringe find appealing?
They say it will bring in more women, but i don't see the evidence for that, and these types of moves push out the traditional audience who was a sure thing, but now not so much.
So why no push back from higher ups. They all have to be in a cult like echo chamber, like Ree, and much of reddit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Looks like they really nailed the look and feel of Disney Star Wars...
I bet she’ll be a top pilot the first time she ever sets foot inside a ship, so great that Han Solo will beg her to join his crew. And she’ll perform a Jedi mind trick the first time she tries despite not even knowing it was a thing. And Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber will call out to her and beg her to use it just because of her sheer awesomeness.

Lol just imagine how stupid such a story would be.

GymWolf

I think you're assuming a lot of intent to get to a point where you're making this statement. None of that conjecture is based in anything but supposition on your part and the part of everyone else that says such things. At the end of the day, all of these companies want to make money, and if they feel like sexying up the characters will do that then that's the route they'll go. Unless you've got some direct line to the directors, artists, and storytellers behind these projects, then everyone is pulling shit out of their ass about intentionally uglifying everything and just making up this whole narrative that has everyone here screeching.

At some point you need to step back and ask yourself if you're in an echo chamber (and I'd posit the answer is a resounding "yes")
I'm assuming what i'm experiencing every day in modern media, especially videogames, so it seems like we are in opposite sides because what you consider a collective craziness, could not be more crystal clear for us in the "echo chamber".

So i guess we can't find a middle ground.

I guess there is this added element where the faces aren't just being made less attractive, but more masculine too. It's all connected though - gender ideology and transgenderism/feminism/wokism - the same flawed progressive ideology is at the root at all of it. Ironically, feminism seems to have reached the point where it agrees that men are better than women, which is why women should get to act and look like men too. They seem to hate feminine women and what they represent far more than men.
Unless those feminine women are doing only fans or street walkers, then its "you go girl" "sex work is real work". "take those dudes money".... Hypocrisy abounds.

I seriously do hope that stellar blade sells well and sends a message, and all these weird games with uglified characters get enough backlash to change or flop.

Last edited:
I bet she’ll be a top pilot the first time she ever sets foot inside a ship, so great that Han Solo will beg her to join his crew. And she’ll perform a Jedi mind trick the first time she tries despite not even knowing it was a thing. And Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber will call out to her and beg her to use it just because of her sheer awesomeness.

Lol just imagine how stupid such a story would be.

Hey - that's the Emperor's granddaughter you're talking about!

She was so powerful, that even as a baby she blinded the Emperor to her presence, when previously he had been able to blind the whole of the Jedi order to his and take over the galaxy. Runs in the family I guess (not her mother though of course).

Sethbacca

I'm assuming what i'm experiencing every day in modern media, especially videogames, so it seems like we are in opposite sides because what you consider a collective craziness, could not be more crystal clear for us in the "echo chamber".

So i guess we can't find a middle ground.
I mean, what you've just described permeates every aspect of modern society. Social media has really just allowed like minded people to find each other and become more tribal in general (true of most groups). You have the right over here, the left over there, the lines are drawn and there's no compromise on any of it. It's just basic psychology typical human nature "Everyone who doesn't think like me is my enemy" type stuff.

The state of discourse from the 80s to today just has me thinking the entire world has gone fucking insane.

JaksGhost

I am pretty sure that Disney was telling their investors last Autumn that they realised they had gone to far in the misalignment between "consumer's expectations" and their political agenda. Mainly because their big releases are all big flops these days. Frozen made well over a billion dollars - Encanto made less than a quarter of that. The Mario movie last year proved that box office is there for animated movies if you make something that isn't ramming a political agenda down people's throats. South Park's pandering episode was right on the button.
I'm really trying to grasp what you're getting at with Encanto in relation to Frozen. One was released in 2013 while the other was released during the pandemic when Disney was doing 30 day theatrical releases followed by their inclusion on Disney+ immediately afterwards. Two totally different situations. Mario was released after that and the result shows. On top of that Mario is a worldwide and vastly more popular IP compared to Encanto which was brand new. I feel like it's a false equivalency.

Last edited:

thefool

I see no reason why the character should look like the voice actor but if they modeled the character based on her and then decided to giver her some man features, that's fucked up.

Mistake

I mean, what you've just described permeates every aspect of modern society. Social media has really just allowed like minded people to find each other and become more tribal in general (true of most groups). You have the right over here, the left over there, the lines are drawn and there's no compromise on any of it. It's just basic psychology typical human nature "Everyone who doesn't think like me is my enemy" type stuff.

The state of discourse from the 80s to today just has me thinking the entire world has gone fucking insane.
Unless you've got some direct line to the directors, artists, and storytellers behind these projects, then everyone is pulling shit out of their ass about intentionally uglifying everything and just making up this whole narrative that has everyone here screeching.
The crusade against having any standards at all is clearly eroding the west. It's only somewhat recently that it has caught up to gaming, and there's people in the industry outright saying that it's their intention. You can choose to bury your head in the sand, but it's the truth. Now, is it being overblown? Yeah, probably. There's tons of games out there, but it's only the AAA titles that are being focused on.

It's funny, because 15-20 years ago localizers covered things up all the time, now we have this

Last edited:

Sethbacca

The crusade against having any standards at all is clearly eroding the west. It's only somewhat recently that it has caught up to gaming, and there's people in the industry outright saying that it's their intention. You can choose to bury your head in the sand, but it's the truth. Now, is it being overblown? Yeah, probably. There's tons of games out there, but it's only the AAA titles that are being focused on
The only constant in life is change. The standards are always changing. The people of the 60s and 70s would have been crucified by the people that lived 100 years previous to them. So which standards should we go by? Just because a group of people has decided they like 50 years ago best it doesn’t mean anyone else needs to go along with it.

Live the life you want, consume the media that appeals to your tastes and ignore the stuff that doesn’t. I mean it’s a dead simple way to live. I don’t consume shit that I don’t like and I don’t spent all of my time rallying against it. It may as well not exist.

GymWolf

I don't really use any social media tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Krathoon

I think in this case something is off with the animation or the rendering. The character looked fine in the other photos.
The agenda usually happens with the storytelling.
Disney+ has been careful with Star Wars.

Mister Wolf

Now do Lance Reddick!

Naw, this one is enough. I gave my example of the disingenuous notion that it's a lack of ability or tech problem why this seems to keep popping up when an attractive woman is cast as the face model by these western developers.

Last edited:

Mistake

The only constant in life is change. The standards are always changing. The people of the 60s and 70s would have been crucified by the people that lived 100 years previous to them. So which standards should we go by? Just because a group of people has decided they like 50 years ago best it doesn’t mean anyone else needs to go along with it.

Live the life you want, consume the media that appeals to your tastes and ignore the stuff that doesn’t. I mean it’s a dead simple way to live. I don’t consume shit that I don’t like and I don’t spent all of my time rallying against it. It may as well not exist.
The set standard is what the majority of men and women find attractive. Clothing styles and what is seen as a status symbol has always changed, but what makes an attractive man or woman hasn't, even if people want to pretend otherwise.

Saber

Gold Member
Have you seen the trailers or just these two screenshots? Shes looking fine. No super model but not this Gollum on this picture either.
Dont be like Era guys and dont echo chamber shit just look stuff up ny yoursel and then judge.

Theres a clear difference between the actress and the model in the game. No matter how picky you want to be when choosing the pics they certainly made her less pretty than she is(I watched 2 times and theres also something off with her mouth, as if she is a puppet when talking).

Also I wouldn't do a false equivalence on Reera. If you are so sure about that I challenge you to be there, say whatever you want and see the results. I know I smart fella like you will last well there, I mean if its just like Era(echo) than it should be fine. Sidenote, it isn't. Otherwise we wouldn't have people who like her model and people who doesn't.

Top Bottom