• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws Main Character Already Hit With Criticism Due to Ubisoft Changing Actress Apperance

Sethbacca

The set standard is what the majority of men and women find attractive. Clothing styles and what is seen as a status symbol has always changed, but what makes an attractive man or woman hasn't, even if people want to pretend otherwise.
In the 80s hair metal dudes were dressing like women, wearing mascara, teasing and perming their hair and wearing cutoff shirts, and making big money fronting bands and fucking tons of women. And before that are we going to act like Prince wasn't one of the biggest sex symbols of the century, and the dude made a living wearing frilly clothing and velvet and generally being androgenous yet masculine (which, let's face it, was the entire disco era). Let's not act like there's any real constant here. There are entire periods of history where the epitome of manliness was wearing white wigs, makeup, and platform heels. There has never been a universal standard for any of this, only some anachronistic people who pine for what life was like when they were children.

Last edited:

Mistake

In the 80s hair metal dudes were dressing like women, wearing mascara, teasing and perming their hair and wearing cutoff shirts, and making big money fronting bands and fucking tons of women. And before that are we going to act like Prince wasn't one of the biggest sex symbols of the century, and the dude made a living wearing frilly clothing and velvet and generally being androgenous yet masculine. Let's not act like there's any real constant here. There are entire periods of history where the epitome of manliness was wearing white wigs, makeup, and platform heels. There has never been a universal standard for any of this, only some anachronistic people who pine for what life was like when they were children.
You're missing the point of what I wrote. Most of what you describe are used for status. Status is only one of the things men and women find attractive. The other is physical attributes, which has never changed. That's what is being argued about in games, like making lara croft flat with no tits. Knowing men like breasts isn't rocket science

Last edited:

Sethbacca

You're missing the point of what I wrote. Most of what you describe are used for status. Status is only one of the things men and women find attractive. The other is physical attributes, which has never changed. That's what is being argued about in games, like making lara croft flat with no tits. Knowing men like breasts isn't rocket science
How much tits would be enough for you to not complain? What is the minimum cup size to stop you all from thinking Sweet Baby is involved?

I love tits but the idea that I’d let them influence my buying decisions or entertainment choices is beyond ridiculous (unless I were paying for some kind of sexual service I guess). Granted there are a subset of people for whom it matters obviously because “Sex sells” has been a truism for at least as long as I’ve been alive.

Mistake

How much tits would be enough for you to not complain? What is the minimum cup size to stop you all from thinking Sweet Baby is involved?

I love tits but the idea that I’d let them influence my buying decisions or entertainment choices is beyond ridiculous (unless I were paying for some kind of sexual service I guess). Granted there are a subset of people for whom it matters obviously because “Sex sells” has been a truism for at least as long as I’ve been alive.
Depends on the entertainment you're going for. But yes, sex sells. And when a majority of the gaming market happens to be men, it's really no surprise this kind of backlash is being talked about. Personally, I don't mind as much what the character is if the story is solid. But would I prefer to look at something more appealing if I'm gaming for hours? Well yeah, obviously

dotnotbot

How do you age slower? Does Asia have a different year or are you on a different planet? I went to Asia and had no idea I was under a new sun.

273c5db0ceb59df8c59eddc21425bbdb-jpg.218535

Sethbacca

And when a majority of the gaming market happens to be men, it's really no surprise this kind of backlash is being talked about.
You can't expand an industry without expanding the audience, and you can't do that by selling only to the same people you've always sold to. Trying to make games that appeal to a broader subset of people that will buy games rather than appealing to simple minded people who buy something simply because it has tits prominently displayed is basic capitalism in action. Things may feel a little out of whack to some people right now but at some point the balance will be found where a majority of people will be happy with it, which doesn't necessarily mean that you will be happy with it.

Mistake

You can't expand an industry without expanding the audience, and you can't do that by selling only to the same people you've always sold to. Trying to make games that appeal to a broader subset of people that will buy games rather than appealing to simple minded people who buy something simply because it has tits prominently displayed is basic capitalism in action. Things may feel a little out of whack to some people right now but at some point the balance will be found where a majority of people will be happy with it, which doesn't necessarily mean that you will be happy with it.
Making character models worse only seems to happen to women, and rarely the men. I don't see it as balancing anything out, actually. Women like beautiful women too. The issue being discussed here is that it is being done maliciously

Last edited:

Exede

Theres a clear difference between the actress and the model in the game. No matter how picky you want to be when choosing the pics they certainly made her less pretty than she is(I watched 2 times and theres also something off with her mouth, as if she is a puppet when talking).

Also I wouldn't do a false equivalence on Reera. If you are so sure about that I challenge you to be there, say whatever you want and see the results. I know I smart fella like you will last well there, I mean if its just like Era(echo) than it should be fine. Sidenote, it isn't. Otherwise we wouldn't have people who like her model and people who doesn't.
Me? I'm banned over there lol

Sethbacca

Making character models worse only seems to happen to women, and rarely the men. I don't see it as balancing anything out, actually. Women like beautiful women too
I wouldn’t say it’s worse so much as that they’re moving away from the “sex sells” mentality in the world as a whole and just not hypersexualizing every single character. This isn’t endemic to just video games, this is also happening in most other media. There are still publishers creating the type of games and movies you want, they’re just not making every single game that way and I think it’s ridiculous that you would even want that kind of homogenous character design everywhere anyway.

I mean, I’m still of the opinion that if you can be convinced to buy something based purely on the attractiveness of a fictitious character that it says a lot more about you than it does about the industry.

Mistake

I wouldn’t say it’s worse so much as that they’re moving away from the “sex sells” mentality in the world as a whole and just not hypersexualizing every single character. This isn’t endemic to just video games, this is also happening in most other media. There are still publishers creating the type of games and movies you want, they’re just not making every single game that way and I think it’s ridiculous that you would even want that kind of homogenous character design everywhere anyway.

I mean, I’m still of the opinion that if you can be convinced to buy something based purely on the attractiveness of a fictitious character that it says a lot more about you than it does about the industry.
Why is having at least a basic level of attractiveness "hyper sexualizing?" Also, no one is buying purely based off character models, you're being dismissive again. But you know what games are making the most money right now? Asian gacha games. If the western market doesn't give what people want, they'll die. Plain and simple. No skin off my back

Sethbacca

I guess I just don't get why you'd hire an actress and then make her unrecognizable. Look at Death Stranding, they're like fucking 1:1 so it can't be some limitation at this stage, right?
They didn't necessarily hire her as for her likeness. She has a history of doing voice work and none of her previous characters resemble her either. Sometimes you hire someone for their voice and mocap abilities and assign them a different character entirely. That's just the way modern media works.

They didn't necessarily hire her as for her likeness. She has a history of doing voice work and none of her previous characters resemble her either. Sometimes you hire someone for their voice and mocap abilities and assign them a different character entirely. That's just the way modern media works.
That makes more sense to me now. For the record, that was a legit question and not snark. I never pay attention to how the sausage is made.

Sethbacca

Why is having at least a basic level of attractiveness "hyper sexualizing?" Also, no one is buying purely based off character models, you're being dismissive again. But you know what games are making the most money right now? Asian gacha games. If the western market doesn't give what people want, they'll die. Plain and simple. No skin off my back
There's no such thing as a "basic level of attractiveness", you're assigning a value to your perception of the world and thinking that everyone else shares that value. Some people want slim chicks like Anya Taylor Joy, and other dudes want a thick Salma Hayek looking mami. Some companies will die, others will thrive, and almost none of it will be due to the attractiveness of a character so much as shit gameplay and cookie cutter corporate game design.

You're attributing the entire success of gacha games to character models, while saying I'm being dismissive for saying people are foolish for buying games simply because of character models. Like, I don't even know where to go with this because you're arguing out both sides of your mouth here.

Last edited:

Mistake

There's no such thing as a "basic level of attractiveness", you're assigning a value to your perception of the world and thinking that everyone else shares that value. Some people want slim chicks like Anya Taylor Joy, and other dudes want a thick Salma Hayek looking mami. Some companies will die, others will thrive, and almost none of it will be due to the attractiveness of a character so much as shit gameplay and cookie cutter corporate game design.
Both of those women are attractive. What are you even talking about? Nobody wants people of walmart - the video game, with a 40+ hour play through. Get real

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Both of those women are attractive. What are you even talking about? Nobody wants some people of walmart trash with a 40+ hour play through. Get real
Again, completely subjective. Both of those women are attractive to YOU (and also me for that matter), but there are men out there that find neither of these women attractive. There are subreddits for every type of human you can imagine, from tiny tits, to fat chicks, to plastic surgeryified bimbos each with hundreds of thousands or millions of people in them. The primary problem in this thread is and has been that you think your view of the world is the only one worth having.

Mistake

Again, completely subjective. Both of those women are attractive to YOU (and also me for that matter), but there are men out there that find neither of these women attractive. There are subreddits for every type of human you can imagine, from tiny tits, to fat chicks, to plastic surgeryified bimbos each with hundreds of thousands or millions of people in them. The primary problem in this thread is and has been that you think your view of the world is the only one worth having.
I'm completely aware of the chubby chasers out there, but I'm not under some delusion such as yourself that they are the rule of what an average man looks for. Oh yeah, every guy wants a girl with an eating disorder and child aborting hips. Perfect!

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I'm completely aware of the chubby chasers out there, but I'm not under some delusion such as yourself that they are the rule of what an average man looks for. Oh yeah, every guy wants a girl with an eating disorder and child aborting hips. Perfect!
I mean, accepting that the world isn’t going to bend to your aesthetic expectations every single time seems a lot more reasonable than throwing a tantrum every time a video game character doesn’t meet them. That’s all I’ve been trying to say. At this point tho I really wanna be done with this so can we stop?

Mistake

Hey guys, new game idea. You play as a character that loses base skills and stats, gets fat, and dies of a stroke. I'm sure it will be a best seller

anothertech

It's going to be funny once you guys realize that there are other consulting companies and internal departments aside from Sweet Baby that have been doing this kind of thing prior to their existence.
Oh we know. And it's not funny. It's fucking disgusting.

In the 80s hair metal dudes were dressing like women, wearing mascara, teasing and perming their hair and wearing cutoff shirts, and making big money fronting bands and fucking tons of women. And before that are we going to act like Prince wasn't one of the biggest sex symbols of the century, and the dude made a living wearing frilly clothing and velvet and generally being androgenous yet masculine (which, let's face it, was the entire disco era). Let's not act like there's any real constant here. There are entire periods of history where the epitome of manliness was wearing white wigs, makeup, and platform heels. There has never been a universal standard for any of this, only some anachronistic people who pine for what life was like when they were children.
Post made me put on Sign O' The Times just now.

Not quite

Western dev did what they almost always do and have an ugly pass on female models right before release. Can't be having nice looking women
the actual answer is advance mocap not playing nice with character model. requires the animation team to significantly focus on the facial animations, but don’t. Stellar’s blade character for example has low tier facial expressions.

I'd have no real issues with the way she looks, if they were creating an interesting, three dimensional character, with flaws, understandable motivations and an arc.

But she's not going to be that, is she?

She's going to be another fucking girl boss, who is always right, and her only problem is that other people won't let her be who she wants to be.
youre not gonna like stellar blade or 99% of games with a male character.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not really fair to cherry pick social media posts with filters and controlled lighting to compare with a 3d scan of a person... here are some other pictures of the same person and *GASP* she doesn't always look like in that one image!

MV5BNWVmZWY4ZWItNTU3MC00OTEwLThmNGUtYjc5ZGUxODRhZjVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ2ODQ5OTE@._V1_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

FycdcieWYAUHK0N.jpg:large

4151632-1.jpg

Not really fair to cherry pick social media posts with filters and controlled lighting to compare with a 3d scan of a person... here are some other pictures of the same person and *GASP* she doesn't always look like in that one image!

MV5BNWVmZWY4ZWItNTU3MC00OTEwLThmNGUtYjc5ZGUxODRhZjVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ2ODQ5OTE@._V1_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

4151632-1.jpg
Looks like a woman, no matter how much your pause game tries to find a bad angle while she actively contorts her face to express herself.
The pic the OP had was as flat and unemotive as possible, from a straight facing angle.

The entire proportions in her character's face look off and completely "manly". Why do that? That's the question many are asking here with more or less snark.

maxresdefault.jpg

4151632-1.jpg

Her face looks normal and attractive in each of these shots. Try playing this game with her character model. If it's not exactly front on, it's hideous looking.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing online that everything about the main character is basically coded lesbian and the game was written by a lesbian. Enjoy your Star Wars butch lesbian game, western men lol.

GymWolf

Didn't realize this was a fighting game lol smh
You missed the point, you don't need to look average to be able to fight, with both guns and hands, hell fighters have even more reason to look rough because they stay in contact with the enemy compared to a female han solo that solve problem with guns (and han solo was quite handsome).
If you don't like the fighter comparison, i'm sure you can type sexy female soldier on google and get tons of results aswell.

Women can be attractive and being able to fight.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

maxresdefault.jpg

4151632-1.jpg

She still looks very pretty. Way better than the in-game model.
Those images only serve to reinforce how bad they modelled her in the game.

pepodmc_

Wokes talk about characters like the one of stellar blade not being "realistic", but why should we care about something not being realistic in a videogame?

Something real, that average women, woke women more than anything, must accept is that , in planet earth, exist women a lot hotter than them.

So, instead of transforming it into a problem (because of their natural toxicity and competitive mindset) woke women must accept the fact that super beautiful women exist and continue with their lives.

Woke women are so toxic that they cant tolerate watching women prettier than them, not even in a videogame.
Think about that...

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
They changed his hair line, his eye shape, increased the size of his lips, gave him bigger ears, and made his freckles more prominent. I'm not sure if you're implying they don't change the men, but they clearly do.
Strangely all the changes you list makes him more good looking instead of less ??

Top Bottom