• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I am really excited for this, but I have a feeling this won't look quite as nice as the later seasons of Clone Wars did. I'll be surprised if it has the same budget. I kinda assumed it was going to be 2D, but the CG supervisor from Clone Wars is working on this, so I'm guessing it will be 3D after all. I think the writing will make up for any loss in animation quality though. Hopefully Disney doesn't meddle with it too much...

Necrovex

We are still getting most of season 6. They are completing a number of season 6 arcs that will still be released (either straight to dvd/br or streaming online).

They have confirmed and showed footage from at least 4 of the arcs from season 6 we will get:

Anakin/Padme arc
Yoda arc
Sifo-Dyas arc
Order 66 arc

So we are getting at least 12-16 episodes from season 6. TCW is far from over.

Oh, I expected the TCW to be left without an actual "ending." I was thinking about watching it a few months ago, and then I read about the cancellation, and I hate unfinished shows. I may give this show a go now because of this post. I appreciate it, Cheebo!

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.
Well, this is fucked. Maybe the series after this will be good.
X-Men: Days of Future Past (screenplay) (filming)

2012 This Means War (screenplay)

2009 Sherlock Holmes (screenplay)

2008 Jumper (screenplay)

2007 Mr. and Mrs. Smith (TV series)
– Pilot (2007) (writer)

2006 X-Men: The Last Stand (written by)

2005 Mr. & Mrs. Smith (written by)

2005 xXx: State of the Union (written by)

2002 The Legacy (TV movie)
This is so fucked.

Edit: Maybe the other two showrunners can balance out the suck or he has no involvement after the first episode.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Oh, I expected the TCW to be left without an actual "ending." I was thinking about watching it a few months ago, and then I read about the cancellation, and I hate unfinished shows. I may give this show a go now because of this post. I appreciate it, Cheebo!

It does have an ending, with Revenge of the Sith ;) Seriously though, some character arcs are left unfinished, but the main character arc for Ahsoka did get a conclusion (more or less) this past season. If your interested in the show, definitely check it out. With this recent news, I'm hopeful that certain Clone Wars characters, who's stories are left hanging, will continue on in this new show.

Crap... Not a fan of any of his stuff. Maybe Filoni and Weisman will be doing some re-writes of his script?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

This is so fucked.

Isn't he also a consulting producer on ALL of the new Star Wars movies? And writing one of the 'standalone' movies?

Isn't he also a consulting producer on ALL of the new Star Wars movies? And writing one of the 'standalone' movies?
That would explain why he is involved with this. Looking into it more, it seems like he is a busy person. Weisman and Filoni will likely be the real ones running the show.

Cautiously optimistic. Hoping for a Justice League to Justice League Unlimited type jump may be too much to ask for, but maybe Disney will surprise us with something decent and surprisingly mature.

abundant

The only thing that bugs me, is that since this is on Disney XD, there will be a mandatory 2/3 month break somewhere in the season. Hopefully they don't go too far and have a 4+ month long break, like they did with GF.

Brickhunt

Just hope he does a better job with this than he did with Young Justice. Hated how he repeated the whole "everything went according to plan" at the end of almost each ep for the light, also most of the characters in YJ where unlikeable.
I'm fine with his writing. I just hope he stops with the unnecessary cliffhangers. Young Justice could easily had a great conclusion at the end of Season 2. Just write self-contained seasons.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How comes they never bring The Samurai Jack guy back for any of these things? Did he have a falling out with Lucasfilm?

He's doing features at Sony Pictures Animation now. Hotel Transylvania, Popeye and then something original.

so 4 seasons?

It's all about merchandising, Star Wars sells bucket loads of it. Young Justice and stuff Weisman has been involved in has been merch light. As long as the merch sells, this show is not going to be put to end any time quick.

It's still not getting an ending, they are just putting out stuff that was essentially done before they stopped work. Lot of stuff will be left dangling still.

Necrovex

It does have an ending, with Revenge of the Sith ;) Seriously though, some character arcs are left unfinished, but the main character arc for Ahsoka did get a conclusion (more or less) this past season. If your interested in the show, definitely check it out. With this recent news, I'm hopeful that certain Clone Wars characters, who's stories are left hanging, will continue on in this new show.

That's why I left 'ending' in quotations. ;-P

But, I really want to see the TCW's characters to have their closures. And I like to pretend Revenge of the Sith doesn't exist; that thought helps me sleep better at night.

Giolon

If they can do as well as they've done with Clone Wars in the last three seasons, this should be pretty damn great.

Just heard about this. OMG! As someone who has pretty much lost all interest in Star Wars since my childhood (the last thing I really liked Star Wars that weren't parodies was the Rogue Squadron video games and Genndy's Clone Wars), I've been hopeful that the new trilogy could reignite my passion and love for the series. Adding Weisman helps add fuel to the bonfire! Only way they could make this sweeter is if they got Genndy back, but I know that's very unlikely right now.

Sweet sweet news!

Decado

I'm not sure if I should bother getting excited. How many of these animated shows actually finish their run (as in not getting canned)? Didn't they just cancel Clone Wars (did they even allow that show to end well)?

I'm so glad they moved past the clone wars. Seriously...if I never see two guys that look the exact same again I'm really ok with it.

Just hope he does a better job with this than he did with Young Justice. Hated how he repeated the whole "everything went according to plan" at the end of almost each ep for the light, also most of the characters in YJ where unlikeable.
Almost every single episode for 2 entire seasons.
then undermine the entire show with that reveal at the end of season 2.

Silkworm

He's doing features at Sony Pictures Animation now. Hotel Transylvania, Popeye and then something original.
Is it still reasonable to hope once he's done with those properties he'll get to do something original of his own making a la Dexter's Laboratory/Samurai Jack/Sym-Biotic Titan?

From Greg Weisman:

So if you've been following me on Twitter - and/or you've been following whatever your preferable source of geek news - you probably already know that I have a new job. I'll be one of three Executive Producers on the new animated television series from Lucasfilm and Disney: STAR WARS REBELS. (I'm typing this from my room at the Skywalker Inn on the Skywalker Ranch! NOW, HOW COOL IS THAT?!!!)

My partners and fellow Executive Producers on the project are two incredibly talented guys, Dave Filoni and Simon Kinberg. I didn't know either of them before we got started (except by reputation), but I've already got a mad creative-crush on them both. We're building something truly special here, and I'm very excited to be a part of it. We're all challenging each other to make this show better and better.

Expect great characters, stunning action, humor, arcing and a little romance, i.e. all the things that most of you have enjoyed in my previous series and in the very best of the Star Wars franchise. Expect that. Go ahead. I don't think you'll be disappointed! And if I'm wrong, I'll eat my lightsaber. (I'm getting a lightsaber tomorrow!! YES!)

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?rid=1078

Well... huh. I suspected the reason Clone Wars and other projects were ended somewhat suddenly was because they were going to focus more on OT-or-later stuff to tie in with the new films, not something in between the old sets.

antonz

Man I hope we get to see more of Assajj Ventress in the new series. They turned her into such an awesome character in the clone wars versus the comic book stuff

PBalfredo

Just hearing about this today thanks to the bump. A new series in the Original Trilogy timeline, with good old Rebel vs Empire, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter action? Sounds rad as hell! I'll be there day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom