• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Furthermore, in my understanding, tech never really progresses or regresses in the Star Wars universe. It's always a constant. That's why in the Old Republic or Tales from the Jedi or what have you, the tech was always the same. Lightsabers, blasters, hyperdrives, etc. About the only thing that seems to have changed ever was the Death Star, but that may have simply been more of a scale thing than a new technology thing, since it's really just an enormous blaster.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I was once a massive Star Wars geek, but that was before George forced the prequels down my throat. Now I'm just a normal Star Wars geek.

I think there have been some small changes, like improved droids and more compact hyperdrives, but otherwise yeah, it's been relatively the same for thousands of years.

Tech didn't regress, it just looked older because of being an older movie. In the prequels for example we see fighters that don't have hyperspace capability and have to use large hyperspace ring attachments to make jumps. Something that fighters in the OT didn't need. The OT was also completely set on outer rim and backwater planets due to budgeting issue. We never see the big cities and sky full of ships and speeders and all kinds of fancy things. Instead we got empty planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, and space ship interiors.

Yup. The only "civilized" place we visit in the OT, Cloud City, looks just as pristine as anything in the PT.

Ezalc

I hope we get to see this one jedi whose name escapes me. Some dude with dreads that is supposed to be sort of a gray jedi. He survived order 66, all I remember reading about him is that he looks kind of human, has dreads and is a total badass.

SoilBreak

Banned
I hope we get to see this one jedi whose name escapes me. Some dude with dreads that is supposed to be sort of a gray jedi. He survived order 66, all I remember reading about him is that he looks kind of human, has dreads and is a total badass.

Quinlan Vos?

coC6v9i.jpg

TreIII

Just hope he does a better job with this than he did with Young Justice. Hated how he repeated the whole "everything went according to plan" at the end of almost each ep for the light, also most of the characters in YJ where unlikeable.

But the "Xanatos Gambit" is a hallmark of Weisman's writing! Hell, even W.I.T.C.H.'s 2nd season invoked that trope to great effect!

Besides, if this is going to be taking place in an era where Palpatine just came fresh off of the success of one of his original Gambits (re: the "Perfect Jedi Trap", as it was called in EP3's novelization)? I wouldn't be surprised if this one has even more in store. Vader should certainly be running his own plans, and it'd be nice if even some things like the Emperor's "Hands" got referenced here.

Anyway, needless to say I'm interested. I never really got into Clone Wars, but this might be much more up my alley.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Well they explained more today that Rebels will focus heavily on the Empire firming its grip and hunting down remaining Jedi etc. I could see Ahsoka coming up in the new series at some point

Good. She can come out of obscurity, pop around and be cute and then Darth Vader can decapitate her in the Season One Finale. Entitle the episode "Snips Snipped". Obi-wan can be shown collapsing on Tatooine just as she says "gurk" and Yoda can "herm" and intone "There are two others."

Casting news!

While most eyes have been on the casting of Star Wars: Episode VII, another franchise player set in the galaxy far, far away has been quietly operating under the radar.Star Wars: Rebels is the CGI animated series being made by Lucasfilm Animation which will air on Disney XD.

THR/HeatVision has learned that David Oyelowo, Freddie Prinze Jr., Vanessa Marshall, Taylor Gray and Steven Jay Blum are in the process of being cast as the voice leads for the series, which will make its debut in fall 2014.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rebels-david-oyelowo-634717

We should get more info on the show next month at NYCC:

What happens when the Galactic Empire takes over a planet? What if Imperials took interest in your world, and garrisoned Stormtroopers and TIE fighters to maintain order? Star Wars Rebels, the thrilling, all-new animated television series from Lucasfilm for Disney XD will ask those questions -- and so will this panel hosted by Lucasfilm's resident Star Wars expert, Pablo Hidalgo.

Details on the show are closely guarded, but fans at NYCC will get a first look at new art from the series, and learn new information about the formidable forces of the Galactic Empire. Star Wars Rebels is set between Episodes III and IV, and it is a dark time in the galaxy. In the spirit of the original trilogy, the Empire is once again the preeminent villain of the saga, and Star Wars Rebels puts the awesome might of Imperial forces in the spotlight.

The series is still a year away, so don't miss this chance to get an early look at its development.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-and-more-at-nycc.html

Nakazato

Im going to be honest I never see a star wars movie (all the exposure ive had to it were spoofs Space balls family guy Robot chicken)

BUT.... .
Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles
makes me need to watch this

Ah, so that's what the rumored Oleyowo meeting the other day was about. Not Episode VII, but still a Star Wars project.

Current rumor is that he's in both:

The actor is BBC Spook's star David Oyelowo who is due to be in Jurassic World. He was also in Red Tails, so is a Lucasfilm alumni and was recently in Lincoln for Kathleen Kennedy. REALLY, REALLY good actor and a brilliant choice. Hope he has a great role.

I am being told that not only will he be in Episode 7 but the plan is for him to also be in Rebels playing a character that sets up his Episode VII character! All part of the major EpVII co-ordinated push being pulled together by Simon Kinberg and the first major sign that Rebels will be the vehicle to setup the masses for EpVII fever!!

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=13640

Gross...

It's just another vehicle to sell merch. I don't see how anyone could be excited for something like this.

What? You crazy much? I didn't even like the Clone Wars backstory (clones anything sucks) and I thought the series was great. With the empire as the villain I'm all in.

Is Disney XD still a pay channel or free like Disney channel. I guess pay channel would depend on the package you have for cable. But in this case it would be majority public. XD was a pay channel when Tron Legacy was out.

RPGCrazied

Will watch. I was hoping they would do a live action TV show, but it would be pretty expensive. Though if Star Trek can/did it, surely Star Wars could.

By this point, does anyone actually give a shit about star wars? I can't even be fucked selling my original boxed 70s toys as I can't imagine anyone would care anymore.

Bob Iger gives exclusive interview to Hollywood Reporter, tells THR "I thought it was a good move, but I really wish I'd talked to Powersphere before I pulled that 4 billion dollar trigger."

Sober

Been meaning to catch up on TCW but since it got canceled, I can only assume they never got around to ending the series on a proper note?

By this point, does anyone actually give a shit about star wars? I can't even be fucked selling my original boxed 70s toys as I can't imagine anyone would care anymore.

Yup. Me, and my Surface RT2.

Glad they cast a minority for this and Episode VII. Miss me some Billy Dee.

antonz

Been meaning to catch up on TCW but since it got canceled, I can only assume they never got around to ending the series on a proper note?

It ends surprisingly well considering they planned for another season or two.

Voice over worries me for the new series. Seems like they intend to make the same mistake as they did with like first 2 seasons of clone wars where it was less serious and more kid focused

Cheebo

Banned

Star Wars remains the most popular toy franchise based on a film/tv franchise still to this day with no movie out or show on the air.

So yes, they care. Star Wars is unstoppable.

well the series ending was essentially going to be Revenge of the Sith. They gave closure to one character, there was some plot threads left dangling. But final EPs of season 5 were fantastic.

And of course many hope that Rebels will possibly continue some of the stuff from Clone Wars... wouldn't be surprised to see some returning character cameos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom