• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I'm on board for Weisman. Not a huge Star Wars guy, but it seems like an interesting place to set a series, so I'll give it a shot.

I can't help but have flashbacks to TRON: Uprising, though. One hour premiere followed by terrible scheduling and a slow painful death. And it's not like Weisman's track record for success is much better. Maybe the Star Wars name can buoy this one...

I'm on board for Weisman. Not a huge Star Wars guy, but it seems like an interesting place to set a series, so I'll give it a shot.

I can't help but have flashbacks to TRON: Uprising, though. One hour premiere followed by terrible scheduling and a slow painful death. And it's not like Weisman's track record for success is much better. Maybe the Star Wars name can buoy this one...

Star Wars has a huge fan base compared to something like Tron, plus it's going to have huge merchandising push keeping it going that Tron and most other shows Weisman was involved in, didn't have. As long as the merch is selling, the show will go on.

Cheebo

Banned

This is their series to expose kids to the Star Wars franchise as part of the lead up to the new movie in 2015. Disney is going to push with all their might on this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dumb, and maybe off topic question, but whatever happened to Ashoka from the CG cartoon anyway? Being set in between 2 and 3, I always just assumed bad things would have to inevitably have happened to her.

antonz

Dumb, and maybe off topic question, but whatever happened to Ashoka from the CG cartoon anyway? Being set in between 2 and 3, I always just assumed bad things would have to inevitably have happened to her.

No one knows besides Lucas and Filoni basically

Shapingo

She was framed for a murder she did not commit, the Jedi council pretty much turned on her except for Anakin who proves her innocent. Once she was proved not guilty she leaves the Jedi order and goes back to her Togruta home planet.

Huh not sure how to feel about this. Still dissapointed they axed TCW but another Star Wars show in the same style sounds promising. Let's hope they don't axe this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No one knows besides Lucas and Filoni basically

She was framed for a murder she did not commit, the Jedi council pretty much turned on her except for Anakin who proves her innocent. Once she was proved not guilty she leaves the Jedi order and goes back to her Togruta home planet.

Hrm... so the assumption is that
she is spared from Order 66 and is still alive in the "After Yavin" era?

antonz

Hrm... so the assumption is that
she is spared from Order 66 and is still alive in the "After Yavin" era?

Well they explained more today that Rebels will focus heavily on the Empire firming its grip and hunting down remaining Jedi etc. I could see Ahsoka coming up in the new series at some point

Cheebo

Banned
Lucasfilm outlined there is multiple levels of canon. G-level is the primary level of canon (named after George Lucas). Which is for everything on screen, movies and tv shows. Everything else is on a lower tier. By all indications the comics/books/games etc are just going to be alternative universe stuff with no impact on the films/tv shows. Much like the case is with a franchise like Star Tre

Btw this art was shown:
rebels-logo-big.png

rebels-concept1_lg.jpg

rebels-concept2_lg.jpg

Just hope he does a better job with this than he did with Young Justice. Hated how he repeated the whole "everything went according to plan" at the end of almost each ep for the light, also most of the characters in YJ where unlikeable.

I didn't like a lot of the characters until the second season. Kinda weird considering Spectacular Spider-man made Flash Thompson like-able.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I heard this is suppose to be the Samurai Jack move.

Obviously this reply is a couple months late, but I missed it. I don't believe there's any truth to that. In interviews leading up to Hotel Transylvania's release, he said the original movie after Popeye was some kind of family comedy.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/25/entertainment/la-et-mn-hotel-transylvania-20120826/2
Though "Hotel Transylvania" doesn't hit theaters for a month, Sony Animation has already signed a deal with Tartakovsky to develop two more movies. One will be an original idea of his (a family comedy) and the other a new take on "Popeye" — which he plans to make as artful and unrealistic as possible.

Darklord

Banned
Lucasfilm outlined there is multiple levels of canon. G-level is the primary level of canon (named after George Lucas). Which is for everything on screen, movies and tv shows. Everything else is on a lower tier. By all indications the comics/books/games etc are just going to be alternative universe stuff with no impact on the films/tv shows. Much like the case is with a franchise like Star Tre

Btw this art was shown:
rebels-logo-big.png

rebels-concept1_lg.jpg

rebels-concept2_lg.jpg

God damn...that's pretty good. That's preeeeetty good.

Cystm

It's weird to not be automatically pessimistic about anything star wars related. This isn't something that I immediately think is going to be awful from conception.

All the limited information given thus far indicates this could be great.

CBTech

I still wish they would go back to the 2D style from the original Clone Wars miniseries (just not a fan of 3D animation for TV shows in general), but this sounds pretty interesting. I'll definitely give it a try when it starts airing.

Obviously this reply is a couple months late, but I missed it. I don't believe there's any truth to that. In interviews leading up to Hotel Transylvania's release, he said the original movie after Popeye was some kind of family comedy.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/25/entertainment/la-et-mn-hotel-transylvania-20120826/2
I was referring to this interview I just assumed the original project would be Jack.
Genndy Tartakovsky's Samurai Jack Movie Update Director says it's “still on the top of my list.”

J2 Cool

I've always been way more interested in this era than I ever was about the Clone Wars era. Though this kind of kills my theory that they killed off TWC to focus on the Episode 7 time period.

Yes. This has always been the most interesting time period. Real threat, real transition, one classic character at his peak. Old regime in hiding. Episode VII I'm assuming can do the real lifting on how a threat arises again, but III and IV still isn't sown up. Hope series turns out good.

Effect

I always felt that Obi-wan got tossed under the bus during this.
If I remember correctly (now I could be wrong) he didn't agree with the council and argued in favor of Ashoka. Didn't her former master do so as well? Yet Anakin is the only one talked about as standing by her or believing in her.

Vashetti

Banned
]I still wish they would go back to the 2D style from the original Clone Wars miniseries[/B] (just not a fan of 3D animation for TV shows in general), but this sounds pretty interesting. I'll definitely give it a try when it starts airing.

Oh god, I hope this gets a Blu-Ray release some day.

It seems like it's been swept under the rug since the latest Clone Wars series.

jstripes

Banned
Are they going to explain why the technology regresses, or have they already done that?

Are you talking about the tech, or how the tech looks?

If it's simply aesthetics, I think that's easy to explain:

The Rebels have to scrounge for whatever junk they can get, and the Empire makes everything boxy and militaristic.

The model they previewed of a stormtrooper:
9394075989_622f2a2a50_o.jpg

And a side shot of the main character's ship:
9396850938_9f938c1fe4_o.png

The trooper to me looks very goofy, almost a bit too stylized and less menacing looking. The clone wars style still conveyed the look of the armor, but this looks like a highly deformed styled character design. Still hard to say if it's them trying to make the armor look like one of the stop gap armors between trilogies or if it's all going to be this style. Will need to see a normal human character for an idea what they are going for. But right now not a fan at all of the new trooper design, as it to me looks like a grown up version of one of those Detours troopers.

Are they going to explain why the technology regresses, or have they already done that?

Tech didn't regress, it just looked older because of being an older movie. In the prequels for example we see fighters that don't have hyperspace capability and have to use large hyperspace ring attachments to make jumps. Something that fighters in the OT didn't need. The OT was also completely set on outer rim and backwater planets due to budgeting issue. We never see the big cities and sky full of ships and speeders and all kinds of fancy things. Instead we got empty planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, and space ship interiors.

Tech didn't regress, it just looked older because of being an older movie. In the prequels for example we see fighters that don't have hyperspace capability and have to use large hyperspace ring attachments to make jumps. Something that fighters in the OT didn't need. The OT was also completely set on outer rim and backwater planets due to budgeting issue. We never see the big cities and sky full of ships and speeders and all kinds of fancy things. Instead we got empty planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, and space ship interiors.

Furthermore, in my understanding, tech never really progresses or regresses in the Star Wars universe. It's always a constant. That's why in the Old Republic or Tales from the Jedi or what have you, the tech was always the same. Lightsabers, blasters, hyperdrives, etc. About the only thing that seems to have changed ever was the Death Star, but that may have simply been more of a scale thing than a new technology thing, since it's really just an enormous blaster.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I was once a massive Star Wars geek, but that was before George forced the prequels down my throat. Now I'm just a normal Star Wars geek.

what ever happen to anakin's apprentice girl? did he snuff her before show got canned?

she still was alive at the end of season 5, but she had left the jedi order, telling them to go fuck themselves pretty much. Will not be a surprise to see some of those characters from the clone wars series appear in this show .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom