• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed a few more "on Disney XD" for me to get the full effect. By the the time this releases I will have surly forgotten. Might tune into Cartoon Network by accident and man that would be totally awkward.

Sulik2

Terrible animation, but it if its being run by the guy who did Gargoyles and Young Justice it has to be good. I am hype.

Where was this stated? Pretty lame if true

Ill have to look it up, but Filoni mentioned it on a podcast a while back, it's also been repeatedly mentioned by folks who covered the TCW extensively like Brian Young over at Big Shiny Robot.

By all accounts, TCW was a very, very expensive show, and entirely financed by Lucasfilm, which is why it was a non-comedy show that actually lasted more than a couple of seasons on Cartoon Network. And why it was pretty much the first thing on the chopping block when Disney took over.

George retiring does have its drawbacks, Disney's beancounters are in charge of the pursestrings now.

Ill have to look it up, but Filoni mentioned it on a podcast a while back, it's also been repeatedly mentioned by folks who covered the TCW extensively like Brian Young over at Big Shiny Robot.

By all accounts, TCW was a very, very expensive show, and entirely financed by Lucasfilm, which is why it was a non-comedy show that actually lasted more than a couple of seasons on Cartoon Network. And why it was pretty much the first thing on the chopping block when Disney took over.

George retiring does have its drawbacks, Disney's beancounters are in charge of the pursestrings now.

breakingmyheart.gif

inkls

So one of the character is described as "street-smart". Dunno if the expression is still used unironically, but I expect someone to describe him as "hip" and "with it".

Altazor

on the one hand, this looks NOTHING like McQuarrie's art that was supposedly used to hype people. It actually looks like a cheaper version of TCW.

On the other hand, I'm sure the people in charge of the series will deliver, even with a lower budget. They're all talented people and I'm sure they have the proper respect for the original material -and, even though I never followed TCW closely, I always got the impression it surpassed the prequels in story and characterization, so I think Rebels can remain of a similar quality.

DaveH

By all accounts, TCW was a very, very expensive show, and entirely financed by Lucasfilm, which is why it was a non-comedy show that actually lasted more than a couple of seasons on Cartoon Network.
Yup. Many episodes had production budgets upwards $1M (which is why there were "talking head" political filler episodes to balance the budget some) the likes of which we're probably won't see again for a while in a "children's" animated TV show. As it stands, George could finance nearly 50 Star Wars sequels on his own if he wanted... he had the foresight to see that putting money into TCW kept the brand alive and strong for the Disney buy out (where he more than made back his money) much like his merchandizing rights coup foresight (luck?).

I wish the WB would have had the same foresight with Young Justice or GL, but I think their New 52 plans confused their branding and they weren't ready to invest in something (that wasn't making money hand over fist in merch) that was promoting essentially the old guard.

on the one hand, this looks NOTHING like McQuarrie's art that was supposedly used to hype people. It actually looks like a cheaper version of TCW.

The world design is based on McQuarrie's art and inspired by it, but the character designs are using their own cartoony style.

I hope we don't end up at the Green Lantern / Transformers Prime / Beware the Batman level of animation...
This already looks worse than Green Lantern, have to see more to declare it worse than Batman but I can see that being the case.

Though these shows need time, Green Lantern was looking pretty damn good towards the end.

Daft_Cat

I actually think the environments look great. In the brief battle snippets, there's obviously less going on... but if anything that just gives me more of an original trilogy vibe. Clone Wars always felt more like the prequels. I know I'm making excuses for lower production value, but nothing about it is worrying me yet. If the writing is good, and the art design is even better, then I can let some rough animation slide. I actually dig the "feel" of the brief teaser.

That said, yah...the closeup of the kid is pretty rough. I hope they take the time to polish.

Metalmarc

I'll have a look at this

Yeah im sure it's aimed at the wiggls crowd, not even the clone wars crowd, this will not be pahontom menace levels of bad, i'll be watching with my two & a half year old nephew, and the by myself of course haha

Dunno, the animation doesn't look bad to me, the art style is not exactly winning me over yet but that is not related to animation.

12594289485_15cedac652_b.jpg

A more clear full box shot showing off more character details. Seems the Inquisitor has a helmet and saber guard actually folds out into it's full ring configuration? Some of the other toys seem to indicate that while holding the grip, that the saber rotates? Hmmmm

ouuuch =(

Dunno, the animation doesn't look bad to me, the art style is not exactly winning me over yet but that is not related to animation.

Like I said a page or two back: I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until the show comes out, but the show is visually pretty bad compared to Clone Wars. It's not necessarily the animation, but the lighting isn't very good, and the textures on everything look undetailed and flat, like mid-late 90's CGI.

Kettch

Despite how anti-CGI I am, The Clone Wars managed to win me over. So there's always a chance, but this doesn't look like something I'll enjoy. Looks like the dozens of CG comedy movies that have come out in the last decade...except Star Wars.

Xun

It's the rendering and art style that don't look that great, the animation itself doesn't look that bad to me.

Hard to tell with barely any character animation in the clip though.

It's the rendering and art style that don't look that great, the animation itself doesn't look that bad to me.

Hard to tell with barely any character animation in the clip though.

yes. I misspoke this morning when I said animation. I haven't seen enough to judge my biggest gripe is the art style, it screams late 90's CGI to me.

Zeb (Steve Blum) intro video:

Voiced by the ridiculously prolific Steve Blum -- whose video game and animation credits are pretty much "everything" -- Zeb is a tough, seasoned and very intelligent member of the Rebels crew. As for what Star Wars alien race Zeb is, you'll learn more about that on the series, because Zeb comes from a never before seen species - though big Star Wars fans will recognize Zeb's basic look. Star Wars Rebels executive producers Dave Filoni, Greg Weisman, Simon Kinberg and their collaborators are taking a major influence from the beloved work of Ralph McQuarrie on the original Star Wars trilogy, including tons of early concept art McQuarrie did for the films, and Zeb's appearance is heavily influenced by McQuarrie's initial ideas for what Chewbacca might look like. Though rest assured, Zeb had an attitude and demeanor all his own…

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/star-wars-rebels-exclusive-first-look-meet-zeb

DaveH

I'm curious if using non-film characters is going to increase or decrease engagement. On one hand, these are unfamiliar and arguably insignificant characters (at least from the perspective of the films) that might be discarded as "fan fiction"... on the other hand, their beginnings and ends aren't expressly predestined, so what you're watching "matters" (at least to the characters on screen).

TCW relied primarily on film characters, but also had a mix of non-film characters (like Ahsoka) so even if you knew Anakin's destiny, you wanted to know how Ahsoka fit into that. I suppose Rebels could do something similar even if the main cast is non-film, but they mix in film characters.

I'm glad Zeb is intelligible. Cat-like cantankerous astromech Chopper is a different spin than R2's plot-device hyper-competence and heroism and 3PO's neurotic worry... dunno if it'll be good yet, but it's different.

Think we are pretty much guaranteed to see film characters make appearances in Rebels, and wouldn't be surprised to see the return of some established ones from TCW also.

XAL

God I'm still pulling for TFU1 to be canon (like G.Lucas and everyone said previously), the twists, the badassery, dat sacrifice.
Hoping Rebels starts after the Alliance was formed and this is just from a different vantage point kind of like a galactic arab spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMPIzKzsYEg

Cya later friends :(

Starkiller-Kota.jpg

670826-marek_symbol_of_hope.jpg

Hopefully this isn't goofy Kota-lite and space Aladdin.

Dunno, looks about on par with Clone Wars. Change in art style though.

Um...not from the trailer. Clone Wars, especially toward the end have amazing animations. This looks very ... flat. Didn't they scrap Lucas studio and using Disney studio for this? This got low budget feel ...

Clone Wars was pretty rough at first too so may be final product will be much improve.

raviolico

Um...not from the trailer. Clone Wars, especially toward the end have amazing animations. This looks very ... flat. Didn't they scrap Lucas studio and using Disney studio for this? This got low budget feel ...

Clone Wars was pretty rough at first too so may be final product will be much improve.

i don`t think the "flatness" is necessarily a proof of low budget or bad animiation.
The art style itself is polarizing. As it was back then with CW.

God I'm still pulling for TFU1 to be canon (like G.Lucas and everyone said previously)

The person behind the canon now for LFL/Disney flat out said TFU is not canon, so it's dead.

And Lucas never said TFU was canon.

Very little actual animation in any of those clips to make a comparison. Again detail and artstyle are different from actual animation of the models.

Sabine looks awesome. All of the stills and artwork look so damn good. I hate the unfinished CGI they keep showing though.

also FPJ so far is the weakest voice actor in the bunch it seems.

One big concern to me is if they will be cutting down on the shows violence. TCW was more than willing to have a body count, but what about Disney and this new show. All the previews they show, has a ton of close combat against stormtroopers just being smacked around or knocked out. Also with the show following a specific cast, you know they will have plot armor against the Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom