• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

While plot armor is likely, Weisman has always managed to convey stakes in his prior shows, so hopefully Disney will let him do this thing here too.

On paper, I have difficulty reconciling a hardened, disciplined, and skilled warrior with free-spirited artist... but I'm willing to let the show convince me. However, it does go to the idea that "warrior" is in this show a more light-hearted non-lethal variety of combat than someone who comes from a militant battle-based culture. So I can see where you're coming from....

Kettch

Some beautiful concept art in the Ezra intro. Doubt the show will come anywhere close to doing it justice though. :/

While plot armor is likely, Weisman has always managed to convey stakes in his prior shows, so hopefully Disney will let him do this thing here too.

On paper, I have difficulty reconciling a hardened, disciplined, and skilled warrior with free-spirited artist... but I'm willing to let the show convince me. However, it does go to the idea that "warrior" is in this show a more light-hearted non-lethal variety of combat than someone who comes from a militant battle-based culture. So I can see where you're coming from....

I'm confident in the production team, but again yea it's up to Disney in what they try to do with the series.

It's just the feeling being given off of the show, the whole cast is "fun", like a spunky Mando and all else being shown. Advertising showing all the smiling and smirking cast members. Smacking around stormtroopers left and right each week like some kind of comedy as the Inquistor shakes his fist in the air "I'll get you next time!!!". Hard to see how they can drag out a series in such a large galaxy on such a small scale they are going for.

The whole tone is different from what we got with TCW, everyone was serious, while everything about Rebels so far has been fun.

Nothing wrong with them making it fun, but just fear them going GI Joe on this where everyone just shoots at each other and never hits a thing, bad guys always jump our of the vehicle at the last minute, etc.

GPsych

I'm pretty hyped for this show, but I have some concerns about the force-using characters. In an interview, the dev team said they were well aware of Luke's position as the last remaining jedi. However, here we have two force users (one of which is apparently an actual Jedi). Are they going to kill these characters off at the end of the series or something? If they don't, it sort of makes Luke not quite as important...

Mariolee

I'm pretty hyped for this show, but I have some concerns about the force-using characters. In an interview, the dev team said they were well aware of Luke's position as the last remaining jedi. However, here we have two force users (one of which is apparently an actual Jedi). Are they going to kill these characters off at the end of the series or something? If they don't, it sort of makes Luke not quite as important...

Well, this takes place during the 20 year gap between Episode III and IV, so there's a lot of time for them to die.

Luke also wasn't the last Jedi supposedly till the end of ROTJ. Characters like Obi Wan and Yoda survived hidden away. And the potential for more force users was always there, like Leia.

I'm confident in the production team, but again yea it's up to Disney in what they try to do with the series.

It's just the feeling being given off of the show, the whole cast is "fun", like a spunky Mando and all else being shown. Advertising showing all the smiling and smirking cast members. Smacking around stormtroopers left and right each week like some kind of comedy as the Inquistor shakes his fist in the air "I'll get you next time!!!". Hard to see how they can drag out a series in such a large galaxy on such a small scale they are going for.

The whole tone is different from what we got with TCW, everyone was serious, while everything about Rebels so far has been fun.

Nothing wrong with them making it fun, but just fear them going GI Joe on this where everyone just shoots at each other and never hits a thing, bad guys always jump our of the vehicle at the last minute, etc.

They've been clear from the beginning that the tone of the show is different from TCW, they're going for an Episode IV vibe - specifically the interaction between Han, Luke and Leia while escaping the Death Star.

Funny you should mention G.I. Joe, before deleting his twitter account, Pablo Hidalgo responded to a similar question with a screencap of Cobra pilots parachuting away to safety and writing that Rebels was definitely not like that.

We'll have to wait and see.

I know what you are saying, but TCW was a lot of fun. Let's not forget the droid or Jar Jar episodes (although I'm sure many fans want to forget those ones), but the dynamic between Anakin and Ashoka, and Anakin and Obi-wan was typically good-humored. Star Wars is at it's best when it tastefully injects humor in the darkest of moments. TESB has a lot of really funny moments in it, which people tend to forget because it is very serious at times.

If I had to guess, this series will be more fun, but balanced out with some very serious episodes and moments here and there. Sort of the mirror of TCW

New interview with Dave Filoni:

The new series is expected return to the fast-paced storytelling and punchy dialogue fans loved about the original trilogy of films. Gone will be the intergalactic politics and trade embargoes that many fans complained about in the prequel films.

"In 'Rebels,' you'll be in scenarios where you hear things have taken place that are furthering the story, but you won't be watching those politics unfold," Filoni said. "It's on a more human level."

Also, don't expect to see the kind of lightning-quick lightsaber battles that defined "Clone Wars" and the prequel films. The mystical powers of the Force will be taking a back seat in the new series.

"I think that we all agree what we liked about the Force in the original films was it was a less-is-more scenario," Filoni says.

Further, Filoni says the new series goes back to some of illustrator Ralph McQuarrie's concept paintings for the original "Star Wars" film for a lot of its look, something he had originally planned to do with "Clone Wars," but never quite achieved. With the change in leadership at Lucasfilm, however, not everything will be a throwback to the '70s. The influence of the new leadership under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy will also be apparent.

"I know that Kathy is a very big fan of [Japanese animator Hayao] Miyazaki, so I told [art director] Kilian Plunkett to look at his designs and what makes them so iconic and memorable," Filoni said. That, combined with McQuarrie's original "Star Wars" designs, is the look of the new "Rebels."

"The biggest thing is you want older fans to watch and say, 'Wow that looks like "Star Wars,"' and I want the younger fans who have never experienced it before to experience it the way I experienced 'A New Hope,'" Filoni said.

LA Times

I hope this show doesn't poop over the Dark Times comics like Clone Wars did on the.. Clone Wars comics. I'm always down for new cannon, but I can't stand how much they've carelessly altered preestablished canon, usually for the worse.

I'm optimistic due to the show revolving around an all new cast.

"I know that Kathy is a very big fan of [Japanese animator Hayao] Miyazaki, so I told [art director] Kilian Plunkett to look at his designs and what makes them so iconic and memorable," Filoni said. That, combined with McQuarrie's original "Star Wars" designs, is the look of the new "Rebels."

um..right..

I hope this show is awesome but I don't get that vibe from the artwork AT ALL.

um..right..

I hope this show is awesome but I don't get that vibe from the artwork AT ALL.

Many of the vehicles and designs of things in the series like Chopper himself are taken from the original concept art directly almost. The character art style is going a different way though.

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
I'm not familiar with the Disney channels, so I have to ask: How violent could we expect this show to be? I liked that Clone Wars didn't compromise because it was a cartoon; soldiers fought and died (although the casaulties were mainly composed of clones and droids, the former which mostly had their buckets on) and the combat was heavy.

I saw that in the Sabine concept images there were a couple of dead Stormtroopers, so I guess that's promising. I understand that this how isn't going to be brutal, but I really don't want a Star Wars show where they're too afraid of killing people off (imagine the terrible starfighter combat scenes that would follow) just because it's a channel for younger children.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm worried about.

All this aside, I'm cautiously hyping it up.

We have a name: Sabine. Quite similar to Satine, so I guess she's a real Mandalorian and not just wearing the armor.

What's that little business card you've got there?

TCRS

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-wars-rebels-meet-sabine-681433

What has become of StarWars?
A pink helmet Mandalorian graffiti artist girl. Man I'm too old for this shit.

BArFt.gif

Who is Sabine? She is a Mandalorian, and is described as "sassy," "spunky," "feisty" and has "a little bit of attitude." She has an expert's knowledge of weapons and arms, with an affinity for blowing things up. "She does it with flair," Sircar says of Sabine, who also moonlights as a graffiti artist.

"She's definitely one who's turned against the Empire and that's going to be to the Rebels' benefit," says executive producer Dave Filoni in the behind-the-scenes featurette above. As Joel Aron, CG supervisor of lighting and FX, says, "She's adding something that we haven't really seen before in the Star Wars universe. You have a character that is expressively creative through art -- whether it's the color of her hair or what she's done to her armor."

Good grief!

Star Wars has become really dumb now. I hope the new trilogy is not connected to any of this garbage in any way, shape, or form and just does its own thing.

Rebels takes place before EP IV and the new trilogy is after EP VI so links are not important. Probably why they set it where they did so one didn't impact the other.

Rebels takes place before EP IV and the new trilogy is after EP VI so links are not important. Probably why they set it where they did so one didn't impact the other.

yea but Disney loves synergy so they could try to shove in some people like an older Ezra and pink mando into the new movie.

Sabine is the worst part of the show so far, really awkward design.

yea but Disney loves synergy so they could try to shove in some people like an older Ezra and pink mando into the new movie.

The only synergy Disney has shown, has been with Marvel, they typically don't mix their properties.

I think the synergy Disney wants is to sell toys based off of IV-VI designs, keeping them relevant and throw new ones in there.

As far as tone goes if they just try to hit A New Hope's sense of adventure and action they will be fine. I have complete faith in Dave Filoni after Clone Wars.

Guy.brush

Where I come from even Kyle Katarn as an Ex-Imperial turned Jedi Knight was really pushing it.
An Ex-Imperial and Ex-Mandalorian pretty girl that decides to turn rebel AND has an artistic streak where she clutters buildings with graffiti?
WAT
I never saw graffiti in the OT. PT Coruscant had them in the low-life lower districts but would an Ex-Imperial superspy/soldier waste time by hanging out next to deathstick smoking bums just to paint "Imperials SUCK" graffitis?
PLS. It just screams: How can we give her any kind of unique backstory that the modern kids relate to? Problem is: The strength of STAR WARS was that it was timeless, not contemporary.

Clone Wars was amazing, Clone Wars was amazing, Clone Wars was amazing, Clone Wars was amazing. I'll keep repeating myself that as i watch this.

I've only seen some of Clone Wars, but even the arc where Obi-Wan goes undercover with bounty hunters is almost completely roundabout and pointless. It's a fine show, and I can't see Rebels being any worse the worst parts of Clone Wars.

is force unleashed not canon anymore?

would be neat if starkiller was around. He was the guy that sparked the whole rebellion thing in that game i think?

its better than jarjar.

wonder what ahsoka been up to.

sounds like the right formula for some 'girl power' action.

I think the Clone Wars gave a clue to where Ahsoka probably went. I imagine she went to join and fight with the Rebels on Onderon.

Clone Wars may have started rocky and delved into aspects of Star Wars some people (including myself) wish were not part of the universe and tone. However at least 1/2 of the episodes are excellent. My major complaint is that the Anakin/Padme plotting and writing was weak. He always comes off as an asshole.

the link was posted two hours ago.

The original video is from middle of February. I reserve judgement as these interviews with the actors also are full of overdone smiles and excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom