• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
the link was posted two hours ago.

And also a month ago :)

fv3mC7H.jpg

Sabine (Tiya Sircar) intro video over at The Hollywood Reporter.

Just wondering why all of a sudden it's getting used as a baby-wipe when initial reaction (you can scroll back and see it) wasn't anywhere near as mean-spirited or patronizing.

Guy.brush

I get that I am not the target audience for this. As I said, I'm too old, grew up with the OT. But why has the STARWARS universe become a constant riffing on preexisting races, places and plot points?
Why is it always rehashed Jabbas, Mandalorians or variations on C3P0 or the Millenium Falcon? Why Tatooine and Coruscant?
I know the prequels are mainly to blame for using unoriginal "ryhming" with the OT, but why do the "EU" series continue down that path? Can we not have new alien races and new places? This endless riffing and rhyming with what made STARWARS stand out, will just diminish the franchise over time to a nostalgia infused rerun of a rerun. WHERE IS THE NEWLY INFUSED SOUL?
A pink Boba Fett helmet is a couple of rungs lower on the ryhming ladder than young Boba Fett getting the helmet from Jango, which already was lame. Stuff like this makes the universe smaller than it could be and heaves ballast onto preexisting hallmarks that get tainted because of the newly added "ryhming".
I can see the main movies playing it safe, but why these satellite series too?

I get that I am not the target audience for this. As I said, I'm too old, grew up with the OT. But why has the STARWARS universe become a constant riffing on preexisting races, places and plot points?
Why is it always rehashed Jabbas, Mandalorians or variations on C3P0? Why Tatooine and Coruscant?
I know the prequels are mainly to blame for using unoriginal "ryhming" with the OT, but why do the "EU" series continue down that path? Can we not have new alien races and new places? This endless riffing and rhyming with what made STARWARS stand out, will just diminish the franchise over time to a nostalgia infused rerun of a rerun. WHERE IS THE NEWLY INFUSED SOUL?
A pink Boba Fett helmet is a couple of rungs lower on the ryhming ladder than young Boba Fett getting the helmet from Jango, which already was lame. Stuff like this makes the universe smaller than it could be and heaves ballast onto preexisting hallmarks that get tainted because of the newly added "ryhming".
I can see the main movies playing it safe, but why these satellite series too?

Clone Wars was packed with new aliens, planets, and storyline concepts. Do you not expect to see familiar things in your franchise? It's star wars, of course they are going to bring out stuff that fans loved or expand on stuff only hinted at in the OT.

Rebels takes place on an all new planet and one of the main characters is a new species of alien as well.

Cardon

Do shows on disneyXD typically have people getting executed point black (off cam)?

TRON: Uprising was kinda of brutal and all with the deaths, folks getting straight up murdered, or sacrificing themselves, though I guess one could make the argument that those deaths were "different" since they merely became small cubes as opposed to a limp corpse.

That said, that Mandolorian character looks terrible.

Do shows on disneyXD typically have people getting executed point black (off cam)?

Clone Wars was far more grim than the Star Wars films were. Characters getting bombs strapped to them and exploding was a little extreme in the Mon Cala episodes. If they dial the violence back quite a bit they would still be in A New Hope territory which is fine by me.

for some reason im picturing this turning into your typical 4Kids comedy.

heck even clone wars, core enemies rarely seem to die, they just run off... although oddly enough jedi and named clone troopers seem to be way more fragile.

Korten

Banned
for some reason im picturing this turning into your typical 4Kids comedy.

heck even clone wars, core enemies rarely seem to die, they just run off... although oddly enough jedi and named clone troopers seem to be way more fragile.

That's what I fear. I'm in the start of Season 4 (near the end of the Umbara(sp?) arc), and it's quite brutal. I mean I can't recall many shows that allows a sibling to break his brothers neck killing him instantly and showing the entire thing, and also seeing a guy (to be fair a Fish guy), get a bomb shot onto him, explodes, and then you see his dead remains falling through the water in pieces.

I know Rebels doesn't need to be as brutal, but honestly considering when this takes place, I would have imagined an even darker tone considering Order 66 was issued and now the Republic has become the Empire... Not exactly a cheerful time.

Big One

Banned
No it wasn't

*images*
Doesn't even make the majority part of the show to be honest. I do admit that Hutt was annoying as hell, though. Jar Jar focused episodes and Droid episodes sucked, and I thought Ahsoka was awesome as she developed in the series. Actually the whole Clone Wars series was an awesome way for Lucas to give his bland characters some development...even though it still doesn't fix how awfully written the prequel trilogy is.

So Kanan = Han Solo + Jedi.

I'm sold.

,,,decreased robot combat...check
...clones aren't central to story...check
...forcus on small team similar to a New Hope... check

Seriously, they are going to really have to jar jar this series for me to not be on board for the long haul.

Korten

Banned
So Kanan = Han Solo + Jedi.

I'm sold.

,,,decreased robot combat...check
...clones aren't central to story...check
...forcus on small team similar to a New Hope... check

Seriously, they are going to really have to jar jar this series for me to not be on board for the long haul.

But... But... The clones were one of the best part of TCW. D:

I was thinking about this earlier and there's something that has me really worried about the direction this show would be going:

Kids.

Specifically, the cast all being very young. Star Wars has traditionally had adults in the main roles, hence its ability to appeal to a wide demographic. While TCW was animation (which carries the stigma of being associated with children), its older cast and Cartoon Network association allowed it to retain that level, and even beef it up thanks to the freedom with suspension of disbelief.

However, this time I fear that the show is going to be bumped down to TV-14 at the most and then dialed back even further considering the average ages of the cast. It isn't just the violence that's in question either, because a younger group means the dialog may also take a dive for the worst (though this was never a strong point of Star Wars anyway).

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being comparable to or even better than TCW, but thinking about this has me very concerned. The last thing the Star Wars canon needs is a corny show that's probably going to get 2-4 seasons.

I was thinking about this earlier and there's something that has me really worried about the direction this show would be going:

Kids.

Specifically, the cast all being very young. Star Wars has traditionally had adults in the main roles, hence its ability to appeal to a wide demographic. While TCW was animation (which carries the stigma of being associated with children), its older cast and Cartoon Network association allowed it to retain that level, and even beef it up thanks to the freedom with suspension of disbelief.

However, this time I fear that the show is going to be bumped down to TV-14 at the most and then dialed back even further considering the average ages of the cast. It isn't just the violence that's in question either, because a younger group means the dialog may also take a dive for the worst (though this was never a strong point of Star Wars anyway).

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being comparable to or even better than TCW, but thinking about this has me very concerned. The last thing the Star Wars canon needs is a corny show that's probably going to get 2-4 seasons.

2 of the main cast aren't THAT young. And in the OT Luke and company were in the 20's only mainly.

And really, doubt it can be worse than the prequels so there is that :p

They have stated the show is going to be more fun and adventurous than TCW, but the folks involved in the show have done well creating shows with serious subject matter. The show I think will obviously not be as violent or dark as TCW got at times, but I don't think it's going to be pure kids show either.

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
I'm okay with a younger cast, as long as this doesn't become a series that tries to talk down to its audience because it's composed mainly of kids. In the worst-case scenario we'll get clichéd "coming-of-age" storylines all over the place and a dialogue that's trying really hard to be cool and wacky.

The fact that you've got a 14-year-old kid with an innate ability to use the force in the show does make me a bit worried. I'm guessing he's going to be the character the kids are meant to identify with. Later on he's taught the virtues of the Jedi way by Kanan, finds himself and gains confidence in his abilities, and so on and so forth. It could be absolutely terrible. Then again, Avatar: The Last Airbender avoided this kind of pitfall very well, so it can definitely be done.

As a side-note, I think a lot of people are judging Sabine too harshly. It'll all depend on how she's handled.

The animation is actually really good in that clip, I just hate the SD style of design they go with for the characters. I guess it makes it easier to market to kids though.

I'm kind of curious, I don't really keep up with kids TV but are their any CG shows targeted at kids that feature more realistic character designs and modeling?

Animation looked decent in the clip.

The animation is actually really good in that clip, I just hate the SD style of design they go with for the characters. I guess it makes it easier to market to kids though.

I'm kind of curious, I don't really keep up with kids TV but are their any CG shows targeted at kids that feature more realistic character designs and modeling?

You typically don't see realistic CG because of budget. Even motion picture CG animated films tend to avoid realistic styles because it requires so much more work for all the details, as well as animating it to look real. Using simpler or cartoonish styles makes it easier to animate, while with a realistic model, unreal animation makes it look extremely awkward. The more closer you get to real, the more detail required in the animation, all of which takes more time and money.

You often only seen realistic looking CG used for short clips like video game cutscene, which take a long time and cost alot to make. A full length movie of that quality would cost a fortune.

RobbieNick

I hope he gives the show a different flavor for Rebels, more in line with Williams this time. His Clone Wars stuff could have been better.

Went to the panel and heard the opening theme. You got your wish. They went with a much more Williamesque score witha fair amount of the old score thrown in.

Seeing the clip again, the animation really is more alive than the more stiff Clone Wars, but seems less detailed. This is from almost the exact same teams as Clone Wars so I'm hoping the series will be great. If nothing else, it could be like Clone Wars in which the first season (or half season) sucks but is greatly improved later on.

"Watches scene again."

I swear Chopper's (the R2 droid) first line is "what the fuck?"

They went into great deal on Chopper at the panel. Basically unlike R2-D2 who's very obedient and faithful, Chopper's more disobedient and does whatever it pleases. It'll say, fix the hyperdrive, but when it feels like it. They compared R2 to a dog, and chopper to a cat.

antonz

This might be unreasonable but that mandalorian graffiti kid video makes me fear for the entirety of Disney controlled Star Wars.

You got droids with arms pounding their heads acting goofy etc. None of that stuff was in Clone Wars. There is a very apparent shift in demographics to go younger while Clone Wars very much tried to push just how far it could go.

You got droids with arms pounding their heads acting goofy etc. None of that stuff was in Clone Wars. There is a very apparent shift in demographics to go younger while Clone Wars very much tried to push just how far it could go.

There was ton of silly kiddy moments and episodes in TCW

Yeah. Everyone quickly forgets clone Wars SUCKED in it's first year until it found it's footing. Being that it's Star Wars alone, the series should find it's footing with proper fan input.

Fan input's got nothing to do with it. The series will find its footing due to the years of experience already having done a similar project.

Clone Wars didn't come into its own because of fan input.

Yeah. Everyone quickly forgets clone Wars SUCKED in it's first year until it found it's footing. Being that it's Star Wars alone, the series should find it's footing with proper fan input.
Yeah, I remember that Asoka was not very well received at first, but she eventually developed into a decent character (that some of us actually miss quite a bit). Hopefully, the characters will have a chance to grow past the initial archetypes we see now.

Voror

Greg Weisman's working on this? It'll probably be damn good and get cancelled after its second season then.

Is Clone Wars worth checking out then? I've seen quite a bit of praise so I'd have to assume it improved as I watched a bit of it when it first started and it seemed extremely kiddy. And I probably unwisely kept comparing it to the other Clone Wars series that had been on just before.

Greg Weisman's working on this? It'll probably be damn good and get cancelled after its second season then.

Is Clone Wars worth checking out then? I've seen quite a bit of praise so I'd have to assume it improved as I watched a bit of it when it first started and it seemed extremely kiddy. And I probably unwisely kept comparing it to the other Clone Wars series that had been on just before.

Definitely worth it. The animation, models, writing, story, and characters all improved consistently from year to year. Just grin and bear the droid and Jar-Jar specific episodes, they're a little less engaging, but not bad to the point where you should skip them.

It's all on Netflix.

Voror

Definitely worth it. The animation, models, writing, story, and characters all improved consistently from year to year. Just grin and bear the droid and Jar-Jar specific episodes, they're a little less engaging, but not bad to the point where you should skip them.

It's all on Netflix.

I'll have to check it out again then. Nice that it's all on Netflix too as we just reactivated our account.

SoilBreak

Banned
New interview from Dave Filoni about the show

Star Wars: A New Dawn
A prequel novel to the cartoon.

BmFWcumCYAA_Y6h.jpg

The first novel to benefit from this deeper collaboration is Star Wars: A New Dawn, by bestselling author John Jackson Miller. Set prior to the events of the forthcoming animated series Star Wars Rebels, this novel tells the story of how two of the lead characters of the series, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla, came to cross paths. To tell this important backstory, Miller benefited from contact with series executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman, who together ensured this tale will be part of the Star Wars canon of storytelling going forward. It is scheduled for hardcover and eBook release on September 2, 2014.

DaveH

Filoni did an interview with TheForce.net podcast (and I'm sure others too). I like that he gives long and thoughtful answers indicating the underlying interests and rationales for their approaches.

i'm leading towards this.

gosh those darn droids r back to their antics

I don't really mind astromechs or other non-speaking droids being goofy sometimes (preferably subtley but whatever). R2 had a lot of quirks itself in the OT. Thats fine. What I really don't like is the overuse of speaking-capable droids being childish and dumb. Protocol droids are really the only ones who should ever talk, and those are relatively intelligent, they may have their own quirks like being wimpish as C3PO but they shouldn't ever be outright stupid. Everything else should communicate in various electronic sounds, as it was in the OT, to hide their stupidity and leave their expressions more ambiguous for the viewer to decipher.

So yeah, I hope there are more droids like chopper and less like the combat droids in CW.

New trailer coming on Sunday:

The rebellion begins this Sunday. The trailer for the upcoming animated series "Star Wars Rebels" will premiere in a global, multiplatform debut on Star Wars Day, SUNDAY, MAY 4th -- also known as "May the 4th Be With You," the unofficial fan-driven holiday celebrating Star Wars.

In the U.S., Disney XD will feature the "Star Wars Rebels" trailer during the premiere of LEGO's "Star Wars: The New Yoda Chronicles" at 7:00 p.m., ET/PT. Additionally, the trailer will air on Disney Channel, ABC, ABC Family, Fusion, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3 at varying times throughout the day.

The trailer will also debut on Disney XD and Disney Channels in countries spanning across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and Australia -- reaching approximately 105 million households in over 50 countries, across six continents and over 20 time zones.

On Sunday, May 4 (12:01 a.m., PT), the trailer will be available across multiple sites including www.StarWars.com, www.ABC.com, www.ESPN.com and www.Disney.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom