• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Early Access: December 13th] Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzzz

The 20th will be a long wait while watching OT....will join GAF soon :(

Can you create toons for both sides on the same server?

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| The reason other Bioware games suck

gillty

Banned
FFS

What was the point of Allies and Adversaries if they weren't going to group us together... Took us months to organize and gather our old SWG servers' main guilds and this shit happens.

untitled-126q9t.png

Wallach

I'm guessing the whole allies/adversaries thing was just for the chance to get paired up with certain guilds when the numbers allowed for it. They weren't going to let it dictate where all the guilds went. If you didn't get the right server, just go to their server anyway and make your guild there. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to the guild import system other than the guarantee of your guild name being reserved.

Forming alliances before launch was a pretty bad idea in the first place. Lot of people had guessed this would happen, it would be impossible to keep these massive alliances together. Forming alliances should have been done after deployment and launch.

Wallach

I might wind up going Keller's Void myself since both GAF and SA seems to be landing there. Wouldn't mind running into some old AoC/WAR goons. Sucks that it is EC though, if I do wind up wanting to do Ops it's going to be shitty time frames.

gillty

Banned
Couldn't you and a bunch of people just choose your own server, and roll there?

I'm guessing the whole allies/adversaries thing was just for the chance to get paired up with certain guilds when the numbers allowed for it. They weren't going to let it dictate where all the guilds went. If you didn't get the right server, just go to their server anyway and make your guild there. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to the guild import system other than the guarantee of your guild name being reserved.
Excep,t with no way to communicate to our other members other than the SWG Eclipse Server Facebook page it will be next to impossible to organize this shit again. The majority of the members came from word of mouth that we were reforming the guild.

Oh well, guess I won't have any reason to play WoW:StarWars. Probably will tank just like every other EA mmo has.

Excep,t with no way to communicate to our other members other than the SWG Eclipse Server Facebook page it will be next to impossible to organize this shit again. The majority of the members came from word of mouth that we were reforming the guild.

Contact guild leader. Decide on where to play. It's really that simple and each guild leader is responsible to get their people playing where they should be. Guilds constantly move in MMOs.

Meicyn

Gold Member
no way to communicate to our other members other than the SWG Eclipse Server Facebook page
ahaha heres a crazy idea

Use the SWG Eclipse Server Facebook page and post what server you're playing on. Voila, everyone knows where to go. Crazy, I know!

Or you can continue the tantrum instead.

Jira

What like Ulitma Online?

Go and sulk in the corner. You really come across as a spoiled child.

UO never "tanked" as it only got more and more popular as time went on, but then eventually lost people after years once EA started driving it into the ground. "Tanking" would mean that it failed right as it launched, which it did not.

Prodigal

Banned
How stealthy/sneaky can the Sith Assassin be? Ever since I played Rift I've been more drawn to the sneaky/rogue types because I loved hiding out in enemy cities and picking off unsuspecting people.

FFS

What was the point of Allies and Adversaries if they weren't going to group us together... Took us months to organize and gather our old SWG servers' main guilds and this shit happens.

untitled-126q9t.png

That's a shitty deal. I didn't even know about this feature but it looks like they fucked you guys over.

J-Rzez

Looks like my guild got assigned to "Davik's Estate", just says "Server - US East/English". That better be a PVP server like I listed it to be.

Wallach

Alright? Lol I guess I should have specified that a comparison to other rogue classes from different MMO's would probably be helpful in answering my question.

They have about what you'd expect; invisibility-type stealth, where the chance for a player to detect you is based on their LOS/facing and distance from you. No duration or anything.

So I'm getting excited, and getting bored waiting for tomorrow.

Made a few Sith Empire Logo Wallpapers. Nothing fancy, but if anyone wants to use 'em.

Any input on things to add/change is welcome, as I have time to kill.

Prodigal

Banned
They have about what you'd expect; invisibility-type stealth, where the chance for a player to detect you is based on their LOS/facing and distance from you. No duration or anything.

Ah okay thanks, I wasn't sure if they had perma-stealth or not. Almost seems un-Star Wars-like to have that, but it's definitely a lot more fun.

hgplayer1

As far as I've understood it will be cascades of invites, not daily sessions.

Reminder: Early Game Access invites for tomorrow (and just for tomorrow) will be sent *tomorrow*. Multiple email waves from 7am EST onwards

I guess thats what is confusing me. Does that mean e-mails sent out tomorrow will be for TUE, then on WED they will start sending more at 7am for WED, or once they start sending e-mails tomorrow they will just continue through the night?

Jarmel

Banned
Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| I am altering the grace period. Pray I don't alter it any further.

This is an amazing title. Let's go with this.

However if people want it more general, Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: I am altering the grace period. Pray I don't alter the game any further.

Bloodsent

Reminder: Early Game Access invites for tomorrow (and just for tomorrow) will be sent *tomorrow*. Multiple email waves from 7am EST onwards

I guess thats what is confusing me. Does that mean e-mails sent out tomorrow will be for TUE, then on WED they will start sending more at 7am for WED, or once they start sending e-mails tomorrow they will just continue through the night?

That is how I understood it. I am speculating that the reason they don't tell EVERYONE when they are due to get in, is so they can either slow down or speed up the invite process depending on how server load and registration is holding up. Personally I think this kind of crap should have been worked out during the stress beta of the past couple of weeks, but lets just toss it on the pile of other horrible decisions/choices they have made thus far with the release.

Dakota47

Like I said, cascades. It'll probably be something like: first wave at 7 AM EST, second wave at 9PM EST, third at 11 PM EST, etc

Einbroch

Banned
Well well, everything seems to be lining up so perfectly for us on GAF that I might actually forsake the PVP server! What does the Republic need more, a tank or healer? I just want to be a Trooper, so whatever is needed more is what I'll go.

That is how I understood it. I am speculating that the reason they don't tell EVERYONE when they are due to get in, is so they can either slow down or speed up the invite process depending on how server load and registration is holding up. Personally I think this kind of crap should have been worked out during the stress beta of the past couple of weeks, but lets just toss it on the pile of other horrible decisions/choices they have made thus far with the release.
Really? Because I think it's a great idea. Everyone on at once just means the servers are going to crash and burn.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright everyone, would really like some advice on story.

I've played the beta on three different weekends, and always stopped my characters at Lvl10, as I didn't want to spoil too much. With KOTOR being my favorite game of all time, I'm absolutely psyched for this title. My CE is pre-ordered, and I should be playing tomorrow.

But I've been hearing some troubling news/opinion that almost universally, it's agreed the Jedi Knight has the weakest story. That sucks, as I've been hyped to be a Jedi ala all my KOTOR playthroughs.

From what I could gather on the starter planet, the story didn't seem bad. Just a lot of well-disguised fetch quests... but really, it just stuck me as typical "early in the game story" where the stakes haven't really been risen quite yet. Does it get siginficiantly better as you bounce around later planets? Or is that really it?

And secondly; which class *feels* the most like old-school KOTOR? I have to say, none of the early parts of the games - for any character - felt much like KOTOR. That's a bit disappointing. Does that change for any of the classes later on?

Thank you for any input! It's appreciated!

hgplayer1

Like I said, cascades. It'll probably be something like: first wave at 7 AM EST, second wave at 9PM EST, third at 11 PM EST, etc

I think so too, but are they gonna stop sending e-mails at any point on TUE and then start again WED morning or will just continue at a regular pace once they start tomorrow.

Jarmel

Banned

I've played the beta on three different weekends, and always stopped my characters at Lvl10, as I didn't want to spoil too much. With KOTOR being my favorite game of all time, I'm absolutely psyched for this title. My CE is pre-ordered, and I should be playing tomorrow.

But I've been hearing some troubling news/opinion that almost universally, it's agreed the Jedi Knight has the weakest story. That sucks, as I've been hyped to be a Jedi ala all my KOTOR playthroughs.

From what I could gather on the starter planet, the story didn't seem bad. Just a lot of well-disguised fetch quests... but really, it just stuck me as typical "early in the game story" where the stakes haven't really been risen quite yet. Does it get siginficiantly better as you bounce around later planets? Or is that really it?

And secondly; which class *feels* the most like old-school KOTOR? I have to say, none of the early parts of the games - for any character - felt much like KOTOR. That's a bit disappointing. Does that change for any of the classes later on?

If you're at all interested in the story, don't play Republic. That will bump the quality of the storytelling up a few notches.

Bloodsent

Well well, everything seems to be lining up so perfectly for us on GAF that I might actually forsake the PVP server! What does the Republic need more, a tank or healer? I just want to be a Trooper, so whatever is needed more is what I'll go.

Really? Because I think it's a great idea. Everyone on at once just means the servers are going to crash and burn.

It doesn't allow people to plan though. Not everyone wants to wait around for their invites and then try to scramble to make time at that point.

oktarb

Odd questions:

So I ordered the CE edition through Amazon. They don't charge until it ships. I still qualify for the pre-launch correct?

I think so too, but are they gonna stop sending e-mails at any point on TUE and then start again WED morning or will just continue at a regular pace once they start tomorrow.
We don't know. I'd guess the invites keep going out until a certain time and then pick back up again the next day at 7 AM EST and so forth.
oktarb said:
Odd questions:

So I ordered the CE edition through Amazon. They don't charge until it ships. I still qualify for the pre-launch correct?
As long as you received a preorder code and entered it into your SWTOR account, you are good to go. If you didn't, then you might want to do it now.

hgplayer1

I can understand some players concerns with the story lines but while some may seem kind of weak at launch there's always a chance they will improve with expansions.

That is honestly one of the things that has bugged me about various complaints with this game since it is an MMO it will change over time and a lot of people dont seem to take that into consideration.

As a current FFXIV player I can tell you if the dev is committed to it they will make the game what the players want it to be.

Einbroch

Banned
It doesn't allow people to plan though. Not everyone wants to wait around for their invites and then try to scramble to make time at that point.

Just plan on playing December 20th. I know it sucks for people that are busy (like myself) but I hopefully have years ahead of me in this game, I can wait one or two days.

Edit: what the hell is up with my avatar? It's showing some Christmas dude. At least on my screen.

Moaradin

JK isn't the worst for sure, and it does start up pretty slow, but it picks up a lot later on. I would say the JK probably has the most important story in the lore definitely.

Still, some of the Empire stories are done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom