• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has been played by more than 11 million people to date. Launch day set a new record for most Game Pass subs added in a day

Zones

OP forgot to share the most interesting figure...

20231025-014634.jpg

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They said 10M less than 3 weeks after the game was out. Over a month later, just another million?

A few months ago, I thought it was going to reach 14 million players much faster than Forza Horizon 5.

damidu

Dang, easy on the truth bomb there. That cut him and hurt him there. Think they realize this after a year. What being sold is just a bonus. They more happier with the recurring payments
yeah pretty sure people demoing latest bethesda rpg for 10 bucks are lifelong gamepass subbers now.
just like what i did with ubi+ for ass mirage.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
??? Fiscal remarks are written for the fiscal quarter so this data is on the 30th of September.

10 millons 21 September. 11+ millons 30 September.
Not as bad but another 1M in 11 days doesn't sound amazing either after the initial launch mania. Still, some games see an 80% drop after the first week so it's not that awful.

R3TRODYCE

I’d have probably played it on Gamepass too if the PC Xbox store wasn’t shit. I appreciate Steam so much these days.

Last edited:
How many stayed on after that month? How many were trials? Saying it was the biggest day for subs means nothing without more information. The way MS has spun metrics to suit them is actually impressive because fanboys eat it up.
Biggest subs in a day means this was the most interest ever for a game on Game Pass. Why does that mean nothing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Greatest game ever🤓

sawyer-james-ford.gif

- #1 game in US and Europe in sales despite being on Game Pass
- Most new GP subs added
- More people played it on Xbox than PC
- Leading cause for the 13% growth in Xbox content revenue this quarter.

Looks like the game has been the success everyone knew it would, and then some.

GG Todd, Phil and the rest of the XGS team.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a pretty big deal overall .. it’s a hugely awaited AAA game that launched on a subscription service day one. No matter what you think of the game that’s actually a crazy thing to take a risk on.

Last edited:
Netflix has 400+ million recurring payments and the budget to make a new TV show is a lot lower for the average show than the budget to make Starfield was.

I call bullshit on your statement. Starfield was rumoured at $200 Million to make. Here's Netflix's top 10 -

Ozark (2017) - $8 Million Per Episode
The Defenders (2017) - $8 Million Per Episode
Sense8 (2015) - $9 Million Per Episode
Marco Polo (2014) - $10 Million Per Episode
The Witcher (2019) - $10 Million Per Episode
The Get Down (2016) - $11 Million Per Episode
The Crown (2016) - $13 Million Per Episode
The Sandman (2022) - $15 Million Per Episode
One Piece (2023) - $18 Million Per Episode
Stranger Things (2016) - $30 Million Per Episode

Seems pretty comparable to me, maybe next time you make some wild statements you could provide a little background as to how you arrive at your bullshit.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, Phil did want to engage PC more...and maybe a lot of those new subs were from PC. Still no hard numbers other than the initial 11 million players.

I don't know whether to congratulate them or ask more questions. It's strange. If it were direct purchases, people wouldn't question Starfield's success. Gamepass subs are a much less tangible measurement of success.

If they are putting it out there publicly, you'd think this is a huge success...but I guess the real measurement comes in the form of things like retention and proliferation of new subs to try other games than Starfield.

"Congrats for now" I think is the proper response.

Alex Scott

- #1 game in US and Europe in sales despite being on Game Pass (for September).
- Most new GP subs added
- More people played it on Xbox than PC
- Leading cause for the 13% growth in Xbox content revenue this quarter.

Looks like the game has been the success everyone knew it would, and then some.

GG Todd, Phil and the rest of the XGS team.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom