• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has been played by more than 11 million people to date. Launch day set a new record for most Game Pass subs added in a day

This is the perfect example of people not reading statements from Phil that LITERALLY said that he didn't expect Starfield to sell a heep of consoles. The man said it could be an 11/10 game and it still wouldn't magically leap frog Sony console sales. Like, holy shit bruv.

All this to paint some false narrative?? Crazy...

I don't see the relevance of your response to what i said. I'm fairly impartial to the game myself.

For a single player game, sales are ALWAYS better than players.
Not necessarily. It depends on how they plan on monetizing the game in the future with mods and a store that allows players to sell their creations. If MS is making a cut off those mods sales and they amount to big numbers, player numbers is a very big deal. Also, engagement in a Game Pass game, even a singleplayer one, leads to retention, which is a big deal for a subscription service.

NickFire

For a single player game, sales are ALWAYS better than players.
Unless the sole revenue source is advertising the sales are always better than players. Fortnite players don't pay the bills per se. It's the ones buying the skins who do. And even the subs are still a form of sales at the end of the day. They are just cheap sales for 30 days access in exchange for the hope of recurrences.

Revenue and profit are the goal no matter how it gets reported.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
course diss GIF

People’s hate for starfield and Xbox summed up.
So far all we're witnessing is a goalposts moving from MS in it's sales reporting.

They've stopped sharing HW numbers.
They've stopped sharing SW numbers.
They've stopped sharing GP numbers.
They've stopped sharing GP boost numbers even in percentage.

Hell, they are not even telling about SF revenue (let alone net profit) numbers. They did with Halo Infinite.

11 million people that launched the game at least once for 10 seconds are not something you can call success or a failure. It's a meaningless number for the sakes of numbers. You know what kinda impressive and can be calculated, compared and gauged? When you report 2.5m direct $70 game sales in 24 hours without any kind of PR spinning.

So far all we're witnessing is a goalposts moving from MS in it's sales reporting.

Hell, they are not even telling about SF revenue (let alone net profit) numbers. They did with Halo Infinite.

11 million people that launched the game at least once for 10 seconds are not something you can call success or a failure. It's a meaningless number for the sakes of numbers. You know what kinda impressive and can be calculated, compared and gauged? When you report 2.5m direct $70 game sales in 24 hours without any kind of PR spinning.
I'm happy for your Spider-man 2. It seems like a really great game. I'll pick it up later and add to those 2.5m numbers (though not for even close to $70) once I finally get around to playing the Miles expansion. Currently, I refuse to even pay $80 a year for PS Plus, but if Sony put their big games day one on the PS Plus high tier sub, I'd be paying that $17.99 a month and they would be making way more money off of me than that one game I get on sale all year.

I'm happy for your Spider-man 2. It seems like a really great game. I'll pick it up later and add to those 2.5m numbers (though not for even close to $70) once I finally get around to playing the Miles expansion. Currently, I refuse to even pay $80 a year for PS Plus, but if Sony put their big games day one on the PS Plus high tier sub, I'd be paying that $17.99 a month and they would be making way more money off of me than that one game I get on sale all year.

To be fair it's been more than 24 hours so the actual number is probably much higher.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I'm talking about the purposefully obfuscated sales reporting and not your personal prefernces, my man.

One game has clear direct sales number for a known price. Datapoint that we can use and compare with other titles to gauge it's fincancial success and popularity with playerbase.

Other have 'players' that means financially god knows what, because every adjacent datapoint it either hidden or old and irrelivant.

Last edited:
To be fair it's been more than 24 hours so the actual number is probably much higher.
No doubt it's a massive number. It's a good game using a very strong IP on the current best-selling console.
I'm talking about the purposefully obfuscated sales reporting and not your personal prefernces, my man.

One game has clear direct sales number for a known price. Datapoint that we can use and compare with other titles to gauge it's fincancial success and popularity with playerbase.

Other have 'players' that means financially god knows what, because every adjacent datapoint it either hidden or old and irrelivant.
Just accept that you won't get that number. MS shifted to engagement a LONG time ago, and that's not changing. Remember when it was called Measured Active Users? All we will have going forward is player and engagement numbers, and it'll be spun to puff their chests, but it's also the numbers they actually care about internally since they are selling a subscription service.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
MS shifted to engagement a LONG time ago
Whad does it even mean? Don't you get it? THEY ARE NOT REPORTING ANY NUMERS AT ALL, INCLUDING THEIR KPIs.

These boasting are literally words just as empty as space in Starfield. We cant understand what this 11 millions did for Xbox because Xbox stopped reporting anything that can be used as a measuring stick. It's pure propaganda.

Especially when every other gaming company is fine with transparent reporting, even it it's not very nice.

Last edited:
Whad does it even mean? Don't you get it? THEY ARE NOT REPORTING ANY NUMERS AT ALL, INCLUDING THEIR KPIs.

These boasting are literally words just as empty as space in Starfield. We cant understand what this 11 millions did for Xbox because Xbox stopped reporting anything that can be used as a measuring stick. It's pure propaganda.

Especially when every other gaming company is fine with transparent reporting, even it it's not very nice.
It's not going to happen. They will stick with releasing numbers that look good for them.

Bond007

Renewed Gamepass to check this out- played about 2-3hrs and realized the game is ok but not for me. Did not renew.
Payed what? $16 for the 2-3hr demo and havent touch my Xbox since.

This is my life with Xbox unfortunately. Zero game purchases for this console since launch which is insane for me.

Last edited:
Renewed Gamepass to check this out- played about 2-3hrs and realized the game is ok but not for me. Did not renew.
Payed what? $16 for the 2-3hr demo and havent touch my Xbox since.

This is my life with Xbox unfortunately. Zero game purchases for this console since launch which is insane for me.
You're likely already invested in another ecosystem and don't like playing on Xbox is my guess. That's ok. I'm the same way as I rarely use my PS5 for the same reason.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Starfield is a BRAND NEW IP. No established lore, no nothing and it was at 11 million players from September 30th. It's sold more than that since then. A brand new IP??
As a new IP Starfield is murdering the narrative despite hardware sales. Some of y'all be trying WAY too hard.
11 million players when it's available on a service with over 20 millions subs is pretty meh. I'm kinda surprised most GP subs aren't interested in Bethesda games. And they wanna expand that?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
11 million players when it's available on a service with over 20 millions subs is pretty meh. I'm kinda surprised most GP subs aren't interested in Bethesda games. And they wanna expand that?
Your opinion about Gamepass or Bethesda is irrelevant.

11+ million for a brand new IP with no history, no lore, no existing community is.......meh? Lol

.......ok bro.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That's like netflix saying millions of people watched their new movie. Means nothing
FOH with that. Lol.

It means a million paying customers paid to watch that movie. That's stacks.

Only, this is a game. Much more stacks just in 11+ million. My god. Smh. Does this need to be said? I keep having to point out the painfully obvious so much, I may have to see about posting pop up books and colored pencils. Sheesh!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
FOH with that. Lol.

It means a million paying customers paid to watch that movie. That's stacks.

Only, this is a game. Much more stacks just in 11+ million. My god. Smh. Does this need to be said? I keep having to point out the painfully obvious so much, I may have to see about posting pop up books and colored pencils. Sheesh!
No it means customers that were already there happened to click on it. Unless you're willing to push the supreme popularity of Adam Sandler's western movie and that it TOTALLY made as much as a theater film that sold that many tickets at the box office in subs it brought in. I don't even remember the name of it but it was their biggest movie ever lol

TransTrender

Gold Member

Next thing are "Engagement Units"
south-park-chicken.gif

well, if sony put their big games on ps plus, i'd do exactly what i did for starfield: sub for one month, play the game, & unsub. day one triple-a games for $18.00 a pop = sheer win...

IDappa

Geez man way to prove my point. Any bit of good news is met with shit like this from fanboys, meanwhile they turn a blind eye and whistle to themselves when Sony fucks them. It’s pathetic and the double standard is so obvious.

Also why do you fellas get so caught up in any companies sales anyway?. Legit who the fuck cares if they show them or not, if you’re just here to game, then you should be happy there’s like minded people out there that come together to play big releases like this. I just don’t get it.. I guess I just have bigger things to worry about than a multi billion dollar companies bottom line.

BigLee74

And how many how finished it? I have about 20 hours in Starfield, but I don't feel like playing it anymore.
I’ve just completed Starfield after 100+ hours. Loved it - many flaws, but still a great experience.

The final achievement for completing the game popped with an 8.7% ‘attainment’ rate. That means roughly 1 million people have completed Starfield. For a game of its size, that sounds quite impressive to me!

Last edited:

Fredrik

And how many how finished it? I have about 20 hours in Starfield, but I don't feel like playing it anymore.
Finishing Starfield is like finishing No Man’s Sky, there are so many creative mechanics to dive into and so much to do besides the main quest. I see finishing the game as a ”Lets wrap this up so I can play something else” thing.
In my current playthrough I’ve only done one main quest and is roughly 100 hours deep there.
I have finished it once though. Because of internet. There was some talk around the release that the game starts when you finish the main quest and that they did something cool not done before with NG+.

PaintTinJr

I’ve just completed Starfield after 100+ hours. Loved it - many flaws, but still a great experience.

The final achievement for completing the game popped with an 8.7% ‘attainment’ rate. That means roughly 1 million people have complete Starfield. For a game of its size, that sounds quite impressive to me!
Are we sure the trophy systems are unified by all SKUs (B2P, Sub and Cloud)? Do Microsoft trophies fully integrate to Steam, for those that purchased the game there or do Valve host a game's trophies?

As you say, if it is unified and 1million beat the game, and presumably really liked it to achieve that feat that suggests the game was successful in general. even if looking less success in the context of a Elder Scrolls in Space sales pitch, or against the projected 10m sales they expected just on PlayStation, prior to cancelling that version. And by that measure, if PlayStation would have delivered 10M B2P sales, a demo on PlayStation would presumably have did far more than 11M so far, not even counting Xbox + PC on top, making the 11M trying it via Xbox + PC gamepass, B2P and Cloud a figure that's probably heading to be 1/3 of what it could have been going by Ubisoft's Black Flag 33M claim IMO.

Top Bottom