• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Tsaki

Considering all these reviews are from people who paid $30-50 extra just to play the game early… isn’t 11% negative a bad sign?
You can argue about it both ways really: 1) The people that paid so much for it are more eager to score it highly, since this is a game that they've been waiting since Fallout 4 released. Having validation about their decision can guide their score. 2) People that paid much more for it and waited for so long are likelier to be harsher with the game, since they have high expectations and paid the premium as well.

feynoob

Those tweets directly contradicts your point
It really doesn't.
Bethesda didn't just start making the game. They also had to upgrade the engine.

Starfield started 2013 for the green light.
has always sort of been around it took us a long time where. we could finally make that a reality. and it was just about 10 years ago 2013. that we decided it was going to be our next game.
There is a lot of process before going in full on production.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It really doesn't.
Bethesda didn't just start making the game. They also had to upgrade the engine.

Starfield started 2013 for the green light.

There is a lot of process before going in full on production.
But still nothing you posted means that the "B" team was working on FO76.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some people are really suffering over this game on here.

Guess they gotta keep on fighting to try and discredit it.

It's not perfect, rough around the edges but damn what it does well is special.

If you want a Bethesda game. Its a brilliant one of those. If you expected something else. It won't deliver on that.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

The main team attention was on starfield.

We know what full Bethesda is capable of.
That's just a report vs an actual journalist (woke but good for these k_nd of news) directly contradicting the report.
Edit:
Nothing in your link talks about the team just Todd Howard.

Last edited:

feynoob

And they were all working on Fallout 76.
Not the main team. The team that made Skyrim, fallout.
It's like Cory balrog working on new god of war, instead of the spin off.

Hence why Bethesda Austin was working on the game. The main team attention was on starfield.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

If you want a Bethesda game. Its a brilliant one of those. If you expected something else. It won't deliver on that.
This game really is in a lot of people's heads almost like its keeping them up at night trying to figure out what other bad things they can say about it.

feynoob

This game really is in a lot of people's heads almost like its keeping them up at night trying to figure out what other bad things they can say about it.
Console wars and hype are the main problem.
Now everyone is gassing up the game, because it didn't live up to the hype.
It doesn't do good that the game uses an old outdated loading screen too much too.

sainraja

You guys didn't play any previous Bethesda game?

This is like that only. In Fallout 3 you are stuck in a vault. In Skyrim you are on trial.

First 2-3 hrs are just that.
I haven't, but I was speaking in general terms, saying that 2 hours is going to be a big ask for most people. I plan on playing Starfield today, and it seems like a game I can take my time through, specially if I end up really liking it. I finished BOTW just before TOTK released and I was playing that throughout the years, just taking my time through it lol. BOTW is one my favorite games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not the main team. The team that made Skyrim, fallout.
It's like Cory balrog working on new god of war, instead of the spin off.

Hence why Bethesda Austin was working on the game. The main team attention was on starfield.
You know that directly contradicts what Jason reported? Where's your proof?

Flutta

Banned

I mean you could say the same thing about the people who put their fingers in their ears trying to dismiss all the flaws this game has?

No game is perfect, no game is for everyone and no game should be shielded from criticism. Keep your feelings out of it and you will be a much happier gamer 😀

People critizising the latest Zelda, GOWR, Halo etc etc. nothing wrong with that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Console wars and hype are the main problem.
Now everyone is gassing up the game, because it didn't live up to the hype.
It doesn't do good that the game uses an old outdated loading screen too much too.
I dunno I see way more people working overtime trying to repeatedly tear the game down vs those (here at least as I dont do the Twitter super fans) who are gassing it up because it didn't live up to the hype

And are people really stressing over an old outdated loading screen?

feynoob

I dunno I see way more people working overtime trying to repeatedly tear the game down vs those (here at least as I dont do the Twitter super fans) who are gassing it up because it didn't live up to the hype

If people can get mad over pronouns, you can sure hell bet on that.
Everything is for drama and clicks.
With Twitter, Elon musk money makes it easy to farm those drama views, since it pays real money.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I mean you could say the same thing about the people who put their fingers in their ears trying to dismiss all the flaws this game has?

No game is perfect, no game is for everyone and no game should be shielded from criticism. Keep your feelings out of it and you will be a much happier gamer 😀

People critizising the latest Zelda, GOWR, Halo etc etc. nothing wrong with that.

Oh, there's definitely flaws. Some glaring ones.

but, There's sone people not even playing it dedicating their lives to posting every single negative view or opinion that's out there. Extra points for the spicy takes, and they don't even know if that is inline with their own thoughts...because they never planned to play it anyway.
Then ignoring the tons of positive comments and reviews.

Griffon

Doing 7 days early access with steam reviews disabled is about to become the new meta.
By the time reviews are enabled, only the people who like the game are still around.

Topher

Gold Member

Agreed. Legitimate criticism is absolutely fine. I've done my part there with this game. But now it seems some are trying to pick apart a 80+ positive review percentage as a bad thing. I really don't get it.

feynoob

Jason report merely states that the game had full team support after fallout 76. Meaning people who worked on fallout 76 went to support the game.

It doesn't contradict that Bethesda main team, aka the big part of Bethesda worked on starfield.
Small team doesn't include your averages artist and codings. It's mainly top brass who are making the rough idea of the game.

If those people worked on fallout 76, it wouldn't have turned out that shit.

Topher

Gold Member

Todd Howard was not the game director for Fallout 76. So whatever manpower was working on Fallout 76, it was doing so under the direction of an entirely different vision than Howard's previous games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Agreed. Legitimate criticism is absolutely fine. I've done my part there with this game. But now it seems some are trying to pick apart a 80+ positive review percentage as a bad thing. I really don't get it.
I have levied some criticism as well and admittedly overhyped myself before launch but its still a great game.

Even feynoob feynoob said it, its just plain old console wars and while I HATE ignoring people here its time a few make their way onto my list as its obvious what they are doing

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Todd Howard was not the game director for Fallout 76. So whatever manpower was working on Fallout 76, it was doing so under the direction of an entirely different vision than Howard's previous games.
That's completely fine. Cory Barlog wasn't the director, but the bulk of the Sony Santa Monica studio was still developing God of War Ragnarok.

At that point, I'm sure Todd was working with a very small creative team to conceptualize and ideation of Starfield. But the "bulk" of BGS was working on Fallout 76.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
People who buy videogames actually like good videogames.
Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero
???

Not always as if they don't like the game they can refund it.

If Bethesda wasn't owned by Microsoft and this was a 3rd party game on all systems, we wouldn't be here. Grow up, shills. It's not surprising Starfield has great reviews and a good reception.

Topher

Gold Member
That's completely fine. Cory Barlog wasn't the director, but the bulk of the Sony Santa Monica studio was still developing God of War Ragnarok.

At that point, I'm sure Todd was working with a very small creative team to conceptualize and ideation of Starfield. But the "bulk" of BGS was working on Fallout 76.

All true. However, God of War Ragnarok was not the massive departure from its predecessor like Fallout 76 was. Not really apples to apples, imo.

I'd be positive too if I could play the whole game during "Early Access" then get a full refund.
This game is fine if you want a Fallout 4 in space with tons of fast travelling.
I couldn't get into it just like I couldn't get into Fallout 4.
The dialogue of death got to me. Having to read responses over and over person after person, eventually I just didn't care and wanted conversations to end as fast as possible.

You can't.

Developers don't provide the vision. Game directors do.
Actually you could, and plenty of people did.

REFUNDS ON PRE-PURCHASED TITLES

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

Reactions: GHG

Topher

Gold Member
Actually you could, and plenty of people did.

REFUNDS ON PRE-PURCHASED TITLES

When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

You are not going to finish Starfield in two hours.

The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies

It says any time pre release you can get a refund . . . . aka anytime during early access.

" you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title"

The two hours starts after the game officially releases.

"The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date."

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You can't.

Yep you can, the 2 hour window only applies after the official release date.

So if you played (for example) 30 hours during the early access period but wanted to refund it before the official release date then you would be granted the refund, no questions asked. The only downside is that you will no longer have the ability to leave a review, despite having played the game.

However if you attempted that same refund (at 30 hours) the moment the official release has happened that refund request would get rejected due to your play time.

DaGwaphics

It says any time pre release you can get a refund . . . . aka anytime during early access.

" you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title"

The two hours starts after the game officially releases.

"The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date."

The two hour limit still applies. You are confusing verbiage for pre-order purchases that you do not have access to play until the release date (the standard pre-order) with an early access release. The premium version of the game was "released" to players some time ago.

As you can see here (and in countless other examples on Steam/Reddit): https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/143387886729883999/

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
For context, Starfield is currently sitting between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in terms of Steam reviews.

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Fallout New Vegas : 95.24%
  • Skyrim : 93.88%
  • Oblivion : 93.77%
  • Morrowind : 93.14%
  • Fallout 4 : 81.85%
  • Starfield 81.19%
  • Fallout 76 : 71.73%
Draugoth Draugoth might be worth adding to your OP ^
At the time of your post, Starfield had 17k reviews and I'm looking right now where you pulled your numbers and Skyrim has over 300k reviews and Fallout New Vegas has 185k reviews for example. And you want the OP to update with your comparison afer, what, 12 hours for Starfield? You need to take a walk outside or something because holy.

The two hour limit still applies. You are confusing verbiage for pre-order purchases that you do not have access to play until the release date (the standard pre-order) with an early access release. The premium version of the game was "released" to players some time ago.
I'm telling you, people got full refunds and showed the screenshots. Early Access is not counted as the game releasing.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep you can, the 2 hour window only applies after the official release date.

So if you played (for example) 30 hours during the early access period but wanted to refund it before the official release date then you would be granted the refund, no questions asked. The only downside is that you will no longer have the ability to leave a review, despite having played the game.

However if you attempted that same refund (at 30 hours) the moment the official release has happened that refund request would get rejected due to your play time.

That just seems too bizarre to be true, but ok.

Robbinhood

Banned

You just described every Nintendo and especially Xbox gamer for every Playstation exclusive release since Uncharted 2.

Difference is you won't see 100 threads on the front page from fans trying to advertise those games, I never seen this before. You guys didn't do yourselves any favors hyping this game as the greatest of all time when in reality its pretty flawed and not deserving of those claims.

DaGwaphics

I'm telling you, people got full refunds and showed the screenshots. Early Access is not counted as the game releasing.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/143387886729883999/ You should be refused as that is the official policy. LOL

Steam would have to be unbelievably stupid to give a refund to someone with 30+ hours in. If the game is playable by you, it was released to you and you have your 120 minutes to test it.

The official Steam rules also still state that Early Access is NOT a pre-purchase but viewed as a standard software sale: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
That just seems too bizarre to be true, but ok.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

The policy for early access games changed around the time of the cyberpunk fiasco because of the mess that created.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/143387886729883999/ You should be refused as that is the official policy. LOL

Steam would have to be unbelievably stupid to give a refund to someone with 30+ hours in. If the game is playable by you, it was released to you and you have your 120 minutes to test it.

So a policy that is in place to protect the consumers who have spent the most and are most likely to have been duped by the publisher/developer is "stupid" now? I've heard it all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom