• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

I love this post.

"Yeah, but those reviews are from people who've actually played the game. So, that 11% negative is actually way worse than you think!"

Just brilliant.
Not just played, invested. They paid 150% of the normal cost of the game to play it a few days early. They are either going to be fans that will take whatever comes their way, or they will be trying to rationalize their decision. The fact that 11% of people who have a major sunk cost (financially and emotionally) into this game still post a negative review is significant.

Last edited:
Oh, there's definitely flaws. Some glaring ones.

but, There's sone people not even playing it dedicating their lives to posting every single negative view or opinion that's out there. Extra points for the spicy takes, and they don't even know if that is inline with their own thoughts...because they never planned to play it anyway.
Then ignoring the tons of positive comments and reviews.
The insecurity in this thread is hilarious. Imagine being upset because a game that you aren't even going to play is reviewing well.

Dane

Oh, there's definitely flaws. Some glaring ones.

but, There's sone people not even playing it dedicating their lives to posting every single negative view or opinion that's out there. Extra points for the spicy takes, and they don't even know if that is inline with their own thoughts...because they never planned to play it anyway.
Then ignoring the tons of positive comments and reviews.
A lot of it is just hate bandwagon acting like NPCs, especially ever since Fallout 4 not hitting high and/or Fallout 76 that was a wreck Maryland had to get involved late development, it has been popular for youtubers to shit on BGS and try to force a narrative that they never have done a good game retroactively, this reminds me back in 2005-06 when that Fallout fan website, No Monsters Allowed, was boycotting Fallout 3 since its announcement for being from a different developer. Their like for BG3 is probably just superficial to weaponize the game against Starfield, just sad as some did with NV ressurgence against Fo3.

No shit that Todd is a snake oil salesman, but if people play 200-500 hours or more in a single player game directed by him and sells 15+ million, its surely not a bad game.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The insecurity in this thread is hilarious. Imagine being upset because a game that you aren't even going to play is reviewing well.

In all honesty, it really does suck that it isnt releasing on PS5. If I was a one system hobbyist and my choice wasnt an Xbox I too would probably be convincing myself every day that the experience sucks and doesnt hold a candle to stuff like Ragnarok and Ratchet.

To me, I think Starfield is a bonafide system seller. I think its the game to finally own a new Xbox for. If I was a single system person Id be jealous as fuck. There's literally nothing like it on other systems unless you want to reach back into the wayback machine and fire up some Skyrim or Fallout.

yazenov

Mate seriously you got problems 🤣 this is starting to be obsession of yours, trying to shit on this game, you're embarrassing yourself mate, let it go 😆
Where did he try to shit on the game?

He is just stating the facts and actual numbers without any opinions. Some of you die hard MS fanboys are pathetic trying to attack the posters who are just stating actual data.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Where did he try to shit on the game?

He is just stating the facts and actual numbers without any opinions. Some of you die hard MS fanboys are pathetic trying to attack the posters who are just stating actual data.
Exactly. I did not even add any commentary. I literally just shared stats to keep everyone updated.

They'd rather blame everyone, point fingers, and play the victim with the biggest persecution complex instead of contributing to threads. And then run away after doing a driveby post that derails the thread like this.

Pathetic.

Last edited:

yazenov

Exactly. I did not even add any commentary. I literally just shared stats to keep everyone updated.

They'd rather blame everyone, point fingers, and play the victim with the biggest persecution complex instead of contributing to threads. And then run away after doing a driveby post that derails the thread like this.

Pathetic.

Those numbers didn't line up with their expectations, wishful thinking / reality. Therefore, rather than disputing the numbers (which they can't) they'll resort to attaching the reporter/messenger. Typical fanboys mentality.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm going to take my refund and buy Sea of Stars and preorder Phantom Liberty.

I think Starfield will definitely be a game I'll revisit in a couple years with some patches, mods, and when it's on sale. I think there's a good foundation for improvements to be made, and some incredible mod potential. I said in another thread some time ago that while Fallout 4 may have been a disappointment, one of the mods for it called Whispering Hills, is the best mod for a Bethesda game I've ever played. So I hope one day the same could be said for Starfield.

Seriously check this shit out:

I simply cannot ignore the fact that I can't fully explore space and planets with my ship, and the exploration outside of cities is so lackluster. I don't care if I'm supposed to play the game in a specific way to get enjoyment out of it. It's not going to take away the fact that every time I sit in my cockpit and see a planet in front of me, I'm going to WISH I could fly to it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is an incredibly uninspiring, dull and clunky game that has no business scoring that high. Below 7 at most.
Below 7 avg. reviews may be a bit harsh. On Steam user reviews, it is heading to be in the 70s. MC and OC critic reviews will remain in the 80s though.

Last edited:
Mate seriously you got problems 🤣 this is starting to be obsession of yours, trying to shit on this game, you're embarrassing yourself mate, let it go 😆
Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Von Hugh

The fact that the game is a reskin of last few Bethesda games with nothing new to the table. NMS does space exploration better, countless other RPGs do story and character interaction better. Settlements are copy paste feature from Fallout 4 or NMS.
Planets are procedurally generated within a small radius from your landing site. Abandoned research stations, mining complexes, etc. are copy pasted with same enemy placement and same layout.

It’s a 8/10 game at most and disappointment if you expected anything more than “Skyrim with guns”.
Have you played it?

I remember a few posts saying on Steam that it would "mixed" or "mostly negative" reviews.

8K reviews already within a few hours & overwhelmingly positive.

Sales are going to be massive on Steam.
I didn't get that sentiment either... at worst I would have thought it would be positive or mostly positive. Bethesda games are kind of unique, they seem to be scored/reviewed/critiqued in a vacuum. It almost seems like they are only compared against other Bethesda games. You see ppl say things like "it's the most polished Bethesda game ever" "it's looks so much better than FallOut 4" "it's the least buggiest Bethesda game" ... To that end, there really isn't anything wrong or bad about the game. If you still love the Bethesda formula, you'll probably love this game too! I think there are a lot of ppl out there who love that formula.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
This is the latest one.

XQUJBNd.jpg

I know you get some shit for posting the updates, so I wanted to say I appreciate it. I was puzzled when I read that the game debuted at 89%. That was higher than I expected, based on metacritic and my assumption that steam users would be pickier than mainstream reviewers. 80% makes more sense.

I'm new to Steam reviews, but I guess this is how they work? It starts high, then drops as more reviews come in. Similar to what happens with metacritic scores, but more pronounced (on metacritic, there was a one-point drop, but here it is nine points).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Every refund made is a request that Steam has to approve. Not sure we can call something that Steam approves as "gaming the system".

That's basically the definition of "gaming the system", tbh. When someone is "gaming the system" they aren't breaking the rules, they are simply taking advantage of the process to reach a conclusion that wasn't the intended result. I think it's safe to assume that Steam's refund policy was not intending to allow players to play paid games for 20 or 30 hours (potentially to completion) and receive a refund.

When I say the policy is "stupid" or "brainless", I'm not talking about the posters here or even the players getting the refunds, but the business practice that is allowing it. In this case that is Steam.

If players want to advocate stealing the developers work that is their prerogative to do it. Honestly, it is slick on their part if they know that Steam provides them the ability to play as much as they want of a game offered in early access and still get the refund. It certainly undermines the relationship between the publisher/developer and Steam though. IMO, I think the 2hrs is reasonable enough for a refund period or maybe 3 or 4 if you wanted to really push it. 25 or 30hrs with a refund is too much because at that point you are reaching what might be the average amount of time a player might spend with a game regardless of if they finish it or not.

It is irrelevant to this particular game, as obviously people are liking the game and RPGs have hundreds of hours in them, thus this issue is nothing for Starfield. But, I still think it is poor policy on the part of Steam, especially for more linear games where the publisher might want to offer an early access perk with the premium/deluxe versions. Potentially they would have to skip Steam and release on the Epic store or something (at least for the early access period).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's basically the definition of "gaming the system", tbh. When someone is "gaming the system" they aren't breaking the rules, they are simply taking advantage of the process to reach a conclusion that wasn't the intended result. I think it's safe to assume that Steam's refund policy was not intending to allow players to play paid games for 20 or 30 hours (potentially to completion) and receive a refund.

When I say the policy is "stupid" or "brainless", I'm not talking about the posters here or even the players getting the refunds, but the business practice that is allowing it. In this case that is Steam.

If players want to advocate stealing the developers work that is their prerogative to do it. Honestly, it is slick on their part if they know that Steam provides them the ability to play as much as they want of a game offered in early access and still get the refund. It certainly undermines the relationship between the publisher/developer and Steam though. IMO, I think the 2hrs is reasonable enough for a refund period or maybe 3 or 4 if you wanted to really push it. 25 or 30hrs with a refund is too much because at that point you are reaching what might be the average amount of time a player might spend with a game regardless of if they finish it or not.

It is irrelevant to this particular game, as obviously people are liking the game and RPGs have hundreds of hours in them, thus this issue is nothing for Starfield. But, I still think it is poor policy on the part of Steam, especially for more linear games that might want to offer an early access perk with the premium/deluxe versions of their games. Potentially they would have to skip Steam and release on the Epic store or something (at least for the early access period).

lol....we have very different ideas on what "gaming the system" means, but I'm not going to get into it.

DaGwaphics

What are you talking about?

The Standard edition (without the early access) cost $70.

The $100 or the $300 edition allowed early access.

Starfield isn't really an "Early Access" game. In this instance it is just a perk for the premium or deluxe edition which costs more. The game wasn't finishing development last week. LOL

I remember picking up KSP for like $15 during early access and then it released at $40 I think. That is more typical for an "early access" release that probably has a year or two of development in front of it.

mrcroket

Starfield isn't really an "Early Access" game. In this instance it is just a perk for the premium or deluxe edition which costs more. The game wasn't finishing development last week. LOL

I remember picking up KSP for like $15 during early access and then it released at $40 I think. That is more typical for an "early access" release that probably has a year or two of development in front of it.
Well technically is an "early access". You're correct though.

DaGwaphics

lol....we have very different ideas on what "gaming the system" means, but I'm not going to get into it.

I guess people can look at phrases differently.

Google returns the definition as:

Gaming the system can be defined as using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to, instead, manipulate the system for a desired outcome.

That sounds about right in my view, but obviously people see things differently.

Topher

Gold Member
I guess people can look at phrases differently.

Google returns the definition as:

Gaming the system can be defined as using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to, instead, manipulate the system for a desired outcome.

That sounds about right in my view, but obviously people see things differently.

Depends on how Steam's "system" works. If they have full discretion over special cases like this then no one is gaming the system as Valve is the one allowing it. In that case, they are not being manipulated.

DaGwaphics

Depends on how Steam's "system" works. If they have full discretion over special cases like this then no one is gaming the system as Valve is the one allowing it. In that case, they are not being manipulated.

Well, that's technically true for any system where you can use the process against it. I don't think Steam's desire is to allow people 20 or 30hrs in a game, but if the buyers know that they can phrase the request in the right way and cause a staff member to approve a refund they shouldn't (maybe they get confused by what the correct result should be here) it's all the same.

You used to be able to do the same thing with "digital goods" on Ebay or PayPal in general back in the day. It wouldn't matter how much proof the seller could have that the product was delivered and even used, digital goods always were approved for a refund. Then they completely reversed course on that and "digital/intangible goods" were basically never eligible for a refund. Seems like this will be something that Steam will need to address if the "early access" with the more expensive bundle becomes the norm.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, that's technically true for any system where you can use the process against it. I don't think Steam's desire is to allow people 20 or 30hrs in a game, but if the buyers know that they can phrase the request in the right way and cause a staff member to approve a refund they shouldn't (maybe they get confused by what the correct result should be here) it's all the same.

A Valve employee making a mistake in refunding the game is also not "gaming the system". Valve was not manipulated here.

DaGwaphics

A Valve employee making a mistake in refunding the game is also not "gaming the system". Valve was not manipulated here.

Again, just a difference in viewpoint. To me it is, assuming that the circumstance is somewhat repeatable. The support guys are probably just working off of a script and if the players requesting the refunds know that including certain information (they pre-ordered the game and are requesting the refund before the standard edition release date, even though the premium version released earlier but they don't mention that, and that gets them the desired result. I still think it counts, and will likely be something that Steam will have to address to ensure things are being applied as they should. It could just be a case of the support guys not knowing how to handle the issue period, but even there the fact that players could be buying the game with the specific intention of getting the refund after completing the game, I still think that counts.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
In all honesty, it really does suck that it isnt releasing on PS5. If I was a one system hobbyist and my choice wasnt an Xbox I too would probably be convincing myself every day that the experience sucks and doesnt hold a candle to stuff like Ragnarok and Ratchet.

To me, I think Starfield is a bonafide system seller. I think its the game to finally own a new Xbox for. If I was a single system person Id be jealous as fuck. There's literally nothing like it on other systems unless you want to reach back into the wayback machine and fire up some Skyrim or Fallout.

zeldaring

Banned
It's a 84% on steam now. I compared it to the following Big AAA games on steam.

Elden ring 92%
sekiro 93%
spider man 96%
GOW 97%
Days gone 92%

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Don't even try 😅
No, you can't do driveby posts like these, blame me, and then run away like this.

Answer. Where was I shitting on the game? How did I do that? When I only posted the updated data on Steam user reviews in a ... Steam user reviews thread?

Last edited:

Von Hugh

No, you can't do driveby posts like these, blame me, and then run away like this.

Answer. Where was I shitting on the game? How did I do that? When I only posted the updated data on Steam user reviews in a ... Steam user reviews thread?

You: "I won't speak for others of course, but my belief is that this game is not an 87. It should be in the high 70s or low 80s at best."

Yeah, beliefs from people who haven't even played the game are more valid that actual reviews.

What do you get out of shitting on this game and downplaying its merits and highlighting its flaws?

I predicted the game to be a 78 MC score type of situation, but these damn people just make me smirk.

You've been posting in almost every Starfield thread with a mostly negative opinion on the game. You don't like the game that's fine but why keep posting in the threads about it? The reviews are trending downwards that's the only reason you even posted that. I'm not going through your posts but you know what you're doing, carry on 😉

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You: "I won't speak for others of course, but my belief is that this game is not an 87. It should be in the high 70s or low 80s at best."

Yeah, beliefs from people who haven't even played the game are more valid that actual reviews.

What do you get out of shitting on this game and downplaying its merits and highlighting its flaws?

I predicted the game to be a 78 MC score type of situation, but these damn people just make me smirk.
Sharing my personal opinion on the review score is not "shitting on the game" especially when my opinion still puts the game in the green territory.

But that comment isn't even from this thread. Negotiator101 Negotiator101 blamed for "shitting on the game" when I merely shared the updated Steam user reviews.

Top Bottom