• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But we are talking about quality not quantity. I agree with u about Starfield and Forza being good games, not so sure about Avowed.

It's an obsidian game, I think it's going to be received pretty well, they have a good track record.

At the very least it's going to be a well written game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No.
Why would it be?
Just stating facts. The XBS 'StartingGun' game was not a console exclusive until MS came along.
Not sure what you’re referring to, I had quoted X-Wing X-Wing asking if they’re being serious if they would like MS to continue buying studios after blowing $69 big ones. What “facts” are you referring to?

X-Wing

Not sure what you’re referring to, I had quoted X-Wing X-Wing asking if they’re being serious if they would like MS to continue buying studios after blowing $69 big ones. What “facts” are you referring to?
Cat What GIF by truth

it was a joke post

But on the other hand, Microsoft did have to go out and buy studios to have games... which is sad as fuck.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member

That's not how I read the response.

When I saw this:
Sure, just need to buy another studio or two.

To me that's implying the path forward for MS is to buy other studios and publishers, then make their games console exclusives, and boom more product. Implying not much has come from their legacy studios, and Starfield is their victory lap title when it originally was planned to be multi-console until MS bought them and shut that down.

Yeah exactly like this:
Cat What GIF by truth

it was a joke post

But on the other hand, Microsoft did have to go out and buy studios to have games... which is sad as fuck.

Last edited:
Starfield, Hellblade 2 (really wtf are you doing over there that its still not out), Fable and Clockwork Revolution are my most anticipated. A welcome change from 2015 onwards where it literally was just halo and gears that were keeping my xbone plugged in.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
That's not how I read the response.

When I saw this:

To me that's implying the path forward for MS is to buy other studios and publishers, then make their games console exclusives, and boom more product. Implying not much has come from their legacy studios, and Starfield is their victory lap title when it originally was planned to be multi-console until MS bought them and shut that down.

Yeah exactly like this:
Got you, apologies for the crossed wires. This is somewhat ironic for sure that this has ended up probably being Xbox’s flagship first party title of the generation.

I mean thinking about it, its fairly easy for ms to gain marketshare if money is non issue, lean on crowd pleasers:
*Evil Within 3
* Spiritual successor to Dishonored
* Gears 6 that changes up the formula drastically.
* Fallout New Vegas 2 by Obsidian
* Pillars of Eternity 3
* A new fucking Doom
* Project Gotham Racing revival
* New ips from Ninja Theory, Double Fine that pushes graphics to the extreme end like Horizon Fw and Ratchet for sony.

But they go for ...Perfect Dark, Indiana Jones and Battletoads. 😭😭

It would be nice because my series x has been a backwards compatible and and an emulation machine for old games. It's time to deliver 2-3 high quality first party games every year. There's no excuses with the ridiculous amount of studios they own.

Emedan

All I want is for them to release Starfield already so that TES6 can get into active development, been waiting for that 12 years already.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Interviewing a marketing person is like having a cheat sheet at an exam.

You should already know the answers.
Exactly. As opposed to saying what? “Microsoft is incredibly weak with 1st party and we have very little in the pipeline.”

They would be fired.

daTRUballin

I mean thinking about it, its fairly easy for ms to gain marketshare if money is non issue, lean on crowd pleasers:
*Evil Within 3
* Pillars of Eternity 3
* A new fucking Doom
* New ips from Ninja Theory, Double Fine that pushes graphics to the extreme end like Horizon Fw and Ratchet for sony.

What's wrong with Perfect Dark?

*Evil Within 3
* Pillars of Eternity 3
* A new fucking Doom

The only interesting thing you listed is Evil Within 3.

Dishonored was ok but i'd be ok with the series being shelved.
Gears is fine but just sort of the same thing over and over since the first game on the 360.
NV2 will just be yet another Bethsoft open world game.
BG3 is PoE3.
Doom Eternal was much worse that Doom 2016 so i don't really care what id does next.
PGR is Forza and Forza is now GaaS. Booooo. No. Who gives a shit.
Double Fines last game was Psychonauts 2 and pretty much no one gave a solitary shit about it despite it being a follow up to a cult classic.

MS managed to acquire a bunch of studios that encapsulate everything that is wrong with the modern day Western games industry. Just living off of past success whilst delivering stuff that no one could possibly bring themselves to give a shit about today.

2023 is very well the start of Xboxs new face.
From this year on its game after game after game.
2023 - Hifi Rush, Redfall, Starfield, Forza MS.
2024 - Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, Towerborne, Contraband
2025 - Forza Horizon 6, Gears 6, South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, Indiana Jones
2026 - New id game, Wolfenstien 3, New Double Fine Game, Perfect Dark, The Outer Worlds 2, New Zenimax Online Game, Everwild
2027 - New Roundhouse Game, New Arkane Game, New Tango Game, New Halo, Project Mara, New Obsiden Game,

It's a fucking game factory now.

T0minator

2025 - Forza Horizon 6, Gears 6, South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, Indiana Jones
2026 - New id game, Wolfenstien 3, New Double Fine Game, Perfect Dark, The Outer Worlds 2, New Zenimax Online Game, Everwild
2027 - New Roundhouse Game, New Arkane Game, New Tango Game, New Halo, Project Mara, New Obsiden Game,

No offense, but are you just now getting used to getting new games??

Xbox is just doing what they should have been doing for 20yrs

Nintendo and PlayStation fans making a list of games that haven't even been announced yet are just as strange btw. Expect games every year, that's how it should be

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
20 to 30 ain't happening, but deliver 1 big game a quarter for the next 2 years and continue it. You've completely changed course. So I'd say 8 to 10 games over the next two years. That would be more than the others.

No offense, but are you just now getting used to getting new games??

Xbox is just doing what they should have been doing for 20yrs

Nintendo and PlayStation fans making a list of games that haven't even been announced yet are just as strange btw. Expect games every year, that's how it should be
No offence, but no one is used to getting that many first party releases.
Sony might have one or two a year. This year there is only one first party for PlayStation.
We are talking about Xbox having 4 to 5 first party releases a year, every year.

Forth

I really wish Microsoft had this sorted. I'm looking to buy a new console and between XBOX and PS5, the PS5 appears to be more popular, more support and more games.
But it's the Xbox I want simply because of the studios MS now own but they're just not producing the amount of games I want to see the platform deliver.

Skifi28

Xbox always had the edge when it came to list wars of imaginary games.

80% of the games you've listed only exist as a pre-rendered trailer or are maybe in development.

Also, of the two that are actually out now, Redfall was shit.

Riky

$MSFT

Yeah it started this year, it's the best line up I think I've ever seen.

Top Bottom