• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield preload is some week in the future (August -1st)

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Bored Richard Hammond GIF by DriveTribe

splattered

i'm actually BROKE for once... i have GamePass but i refuse to load it just using GPU. I wanna buy the premium version dammit. Ugh adulting is difficult sometimes :(

Fallout 4 sorta came out of nowhere from what I remember.
Yeah I can't remember there being much "hype" for fallout 4 till they dropped that awesome trailer. Christ it has been 8 years since they released that trailer for fallout 4. I don't even want to think about the levels of anticipation there will be for fallout 5 (assuming I am still alive when it releases, I am pushing 50 now).

I was always going to get Starfield eventually but seeing Starfield direct pushed me over the edge to pre-order it. Even messed with the idea of getting the physical collecters edition for that watch. But then I heard it was exclusive to GAME (never using that place ever again) and I got bit with the fallout 4 pipboy edition which got removed from the box once and never again.

At any rate still no preload here. I am expecting they will give us plenty of time to preload all 125gbs. It will take me a while to download that since I am on a 4mb/s connection. I don't get all the secrecy though, surely they must have some idea when the preload is going up and it wouldn't kill them to give us an idea.

Is this only on Xbox? Or not at all? I bought this shit to preload on my dinosaur internet ahead of time and I see no such option on Steam. :mad::goog_mad:
There will be a preload on both xbox and steam. The game is still 16 days away I imagine pre-loads will become available in the last week before launch of the game. I bought the game on steam myself and like you have a dogshit net connection I don't have any concerns they won't give us enough time to download it before it releases fully ........ unless you are on a 56k modem connection thennnnnnnnnnn you might have a few issues.

There will be a preload on both xbox and steam. The game is still 16 days away I imagine pre-loads will become available in the last week before launch of the game. I bought the game on steam myself and like you have a dogshit net connection I don't have any concerns they won't give us enough time to download it before it releases fully ........ unless you are on a 56k modem connection thennnnnnnnnnn you might have a few issues.
I get a sad 300 kbps so I hope to have as much time as possible because I can't always run it 24/7 either :(.

Fredrik

Fredrik Fredrik - See, the earlier timeline was indeed too early. 😛 Later this week, 10-15 days before the release of the game, makes more sense.

But this makes me question all those previous positive tweets we saw. Non-Microsoft people couldn't be playing the game if they have yet to share review codes.
Well then it seems tight if you ask me. Reviews might be previews. Not that I care much about reviews in this case since I’ve already preordered it but for me it still show yet again that the current review system don’t really work. Reviews are rushed out to be there day 1 but most games gets patched after the release and almost no reviews are updated after the release. It doesn’t add up right. Means the review scores we stare at on Metacritic don’t really help the consumers much if they jump in a week later since they’re for the pre-release review code the consumer will never touch and from someone just rushing through a game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well then it seems tight if you ask me. Reviews might be previews. Not that I care much about reviews in this case since I’ve already preordered it but for me it still show yet again that the current review system don’t really work. Reviews are rushed out to be there day 1 but most games gets patched after the release and almost no reviews are updated after the release. It doesn’t add up right. Means the review scores we stare at on Metacritic don’t really help the consumers much if they jump in a week later since they’re for the pre-release review code the consumer will never touch and from someone just rushing through a game.
It's also just the current state of the industry. There are more games than ever, and games are bigger than ever.

Like, right at this point, reviewers would be playing games like:

• Atlas Fallen
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Starfield
  • Armored Core
  • The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Fort Solis
  • Moving Out 2
  • Everspace 2
  • Wayfinder
  • Blasphemous 2
And many, many more.

Reviews are and will be rushed, no matter what.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Two weeks is plenty of time for a reviewer to play this type of game. That's like 90 to 100 hour playthrough. More if you a real one and the game is good enough to incentivise you playing like 10 to 12 hours a day.

Can't wait for the previews and can't believe we are about to get Todd Howard's space game!

This is coming out on the Series S right? That means when I play it on the Series X the performance should be a rock solid 30fps with no dips?

Stafford

Fredrik Fredrik - See, the earlier timeline was indeed too early. 😛 Later this week, 10-15 days before the release of the game, makes more sense.

But this makes me question all those previous positive tweets we saw. Non-Microsoft people couldn't be playing the game if they have yet to share review codes.

I'm guessing those were still playtesters. Speaking of which...

Last edited:
I get a sad 300 kbps so I hope to have as much time as possible because I can't always run it 24/7 either :(.
yeahhhhhhhhhhh erm ....... OUCH. Not gonna make light of such things 9 times out of 10 no one has control over the net infrastructure. I will say this though you must have the patience of a saint to deal with that. I am literally pulling my hair out and pacing the floors on my 4mb/s connection. I wouldn't stress too much I reckon we will get several days to preload this since it is one of the biggest downloads I have ever seen at a whopping 125gbs.

Jemm

At least Todd Howard has played it a lot on Series S at home, since his kids always hog the Series X. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Speaking at a ‘What Next For Gaming’ event, Howard revealed that Series S has become his most used Xbox console, although not entirely out of choice.
“I got an X and S when they came out,” Howard revealed to the assembled media. “I put the X in the basement with the big 4K TV.
“My kids don’t let [me play it]… they’re always on it. So the S is upstairs… and [the game] looks great.”
Xbox chief Phil Spencer then quipped: “We can see where Todd is in the pecking order.”
Howard responded: “It looks great. But technically, most of my Starfield play has been on Series S within my family.”
[Source]

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

There are people playtesting it though but it seems likely it is just playtesters and not reviews

I'm guessing those were still playtesters. Speaking of which...

Good this is encouraging because I was one of those saying it was very buggy but that was literally around the first of this year

Stafford

There are people playtesting it though but it seems likely it is just playtesters and not reviews

Good this is encouraging because I was one of those saying it was very buggy but that was literally around the first of this year

I'm very happy MS gave them the time they needed because as per ABK trial we learned the game was supposed to drop much sooner.

I remember a year or two ago the likes of Matty and others in videos claiming they heard from good sources that the game was in its final stages and coming out that year. That is until Jason Schreier came with his report about how it wasn't even close near that. But who knows, maybe at that point it was planned for release.

yeahhhhhhhhhhh erm ....... OUCH. Not gonna make light of such things 9 times out of 10 no one has control over the net infrastructure. I will say this though you must have the patience of a saint to deal with that. I am literally pulling my hair out and pacing the floors on my 4mb/s connection. I wouldn't stress too much I reckon we will get several days to preload this since it is one of the biggest downloads I have ever seen at a whopping 125gbs.
Yeah, honestly I hate it. We had something much faster at our old home, about double or triple your speed and I was beyond satisfied with that but when we bought this honestly we didn't check the internet speeds, but it kind of comes with moving to more remote area.

The painful thing is that the cable company just won't come into our area/group of houses. They are on the "main road" 1-2 miles away so we are stuck with DSL which honestly I would be fine with if they would bump it up to at least 20 Megabit or something, but 3 Megabit is awful. It was fine 20 years ago (that's what I was using 20 years ago), but the internet - everything is so much higher in bandwidth demands these days. Basically if nothing else is using the net at all, I can download about or almost a gig an hour. So it would take about 5 days straight to get Starfield - I recently downloaded Baldur's Gate III and was lucky enough to be able to keep it pretty much on all the time and that's what it took thereabouts. This is why I was hyped for this "preload" so soon - could set it to a low threshold and just have it ready later without having to compete with my daughter or wife using the internet. lol.

Corndog

Banned
Yeah, honestly I hate it. We had something much faster at our old home, about double or triple your speed and I was beyond satisfied with that but when we bought this honestly we didn't check the internet speeds, but it kind of comes with moving to more remote area.

The painful thing is that the cable company just won't come into our area/group of houses. They are on the "main road" 1-2 miles away so we are stuck with DSL which honestly I would be fine with if they would bump it up to at least 20 Megabit or something, but 3 Megabit is awful. It was fine 20 years ago (that's what I was using 20 years ago), but the internet - everything is so much higher in bandwidth demands these days. Basically if nothing else is using the net at all, I can download about or almost a gig an hour. So it would take about 5 days straight to get Starfield - I recently downloaded Baldur's Gate III and was lucky enough to be able to keep it pretty much on all the time and that's what it took thereabouts. This is why I was hyped for this "preload" so soon - could set it to a low threshold and just have it ready later without having to compete with my daughter or wife using the internet. lol.
No wireless?

No wireless?
Like cellular? I checked the websites of the major carriers for their "internet service" and none of them seem to service this area for that specific service. Even if they did, I'm worried about throttling. I sometimes jump on my cellular through tether to help speed along download, but even on my mobile plan that is "unlimited" it's only "unlimited" until about 35 GB, then it slows down to like 128k ISDN connection or something awful. Starlink isn't available here either and still skeptical about that anyway. But yeah I think throttling would be a major concern - once you add in just streaming services from my wife and child (Netflix, whatever) that stuff just eats GB much less trying to download or upload something. Do you have any experience with it?

But I'm always testing my mobile connection, I use Google FI so it uses various towers, sometimes I can get up to 50-70megabit registering on my mobile depending on where I'm at in the yard. In the house proper it's often times worse than my DSL.

Corndog

Banned
Like cellular? I checked the websites of the major carriers for their "internet service" and none of them seem to service this area for that specific service. Even if they did, I'm worried about throttling. I sometimes jump on my cellular through tether to help speed along download, but even on my mobile plan that is "unlimited" it's only "unlimited" until about 35 GB, then it slows down to like 128k ISDN connection or something awful. Starlink isn't available here either and still skeptical about that anyway. But yeah I think throttling would be a major concern - once you add in just streaming services from my wife and child (Netflix, whatever) that stuff just eats GB much less trying to download or upload something. Do you have any experience with it?

But I'm always testing my mobile connection, I use Google FI so it uses various towers, sometimes I can get up to 50-70megabit registering on my mobile depending on where I'm at in the yard. In the house proper it's often times worse than my DSL.
No. I used a dish that pointed at a tower. Not sure what they call it.

Edit: if youre loaded you could get satellite.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

DSL?

whatyearisit.jpg

For real though, I'm so sorry. As much as I'm an advocate for digital games/libraries we really are spoiled by 500mbit+ connections that just aren't accessible to a lot of folks.

The biggest kicker in the US is the poor saps with 1TB per month data caps. I don't see how they do it.

Glad it is not a thing in my area at this time.

Top Bottom