• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I found this on Twitter and that I would post here for laughs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He's not lying if I understood him correctly.

I was playing last night and a ship landed nearby and I went over, of course, to assassinate them all. I killed the people outside of the ship and went into the ship while on planet.

Probably about a minute into killing the crew (this was a big ship, the Va'ruun? Or whatever) suddenly there was a half second loading (the screen didn't fade out or anything, the game just froze for a second and you could see the circular loading icon). I thought it was really weird as I hadn't experienced anything like that, but kept on my way killing the rest of the crew. I made it to the cockpit and didn't realize until I was sitting down, but the bastards had lifted off into space while I was killing the crew. So Todd is right about that - a ship absolutely can take off while you're in the process of killing the crew and you will find yourself in space and no longer on whatever planet you were on. If that's what the Tweet was talking about anyway.

Justin9mm

They purchased the Elder Scrolls and Fallout if you ask me. Both of which will see big mainline releases in the coming years. M$ has a longer time horizon than just startfield.
Been hearing that from MS for over a decade. Every year they have an excuse. Now they are waiting on these 'games' from their acquisitions. Everything Xbox touches turns to shit usually.

And going back to Bethesda, how was Fallout 76 again? Games like Elder scrolls and Fallout are not really mainstream games. They need more bangers that the casual gamer can pick up and play.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see how the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout games do. No doubt, they'll easily one-up Starfield, but I wonder how they'll compare to previous games without PlayStation.

Last edited:
Been hearing that from MS for over a decade. Every year they have an excuse. Now they are waiting on these 'games' from their acquisitions. Everything Xbox touches turns to shit usually.

And going back to Bethesda, how was Fallout 76 again? Games like Elder scrolls and Fallout are not really mainstream games. They need more bangers that the casual gamer can pick up and play.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Why is this funny? You literally can board enemy ships and commandeer their ships. I keep finding this strange pattern on GAF and other social media boards where the biggest critiques of the game have never even played a minute of it. Very perplexing.
You can commandeer ships but that’s not what Todd said. He said the ship took off while he was still in it. That’s clearly not possible 😂. He didn’t say he killed the pilot and took over the ship.

That's not a lie though, that's exactly how I captured my first ship. I entered it, it took off, I killed the crew and stole their ship.
You killed the crew and took over their ship. Todd said the ship took off with him still inside it as in the pilot was still alive. That clearly can’t happen in the game 😂

Last edited:

I was playing last night and a ship landed nearby and I went over, of course, to assassinate them all. I killed the people outside of the ship and went into the ship while on planet.

Probably about a minute into killing the crew (this was a big ship, the Va'ruun? Or whatever) suddenly there was a half second loading (the screen didn't fade out or anything, the game just froze for a second and you could see the circular loading icon). I thought it was really weird as I hadn't experienced anything like that, but kept on my way killing the rest of the crew. I made it to the cockpit and didn't realize until I was sitting down, but the bastards had lifted off into space while I was killing the crew. So Todd is right about that - a ship absolutely can take off while you're in the process of killing the crew and you will find yourself in space and no longer on whatever planet you were on. If that's what the Tweet was talking about anyway.
Hmmm….strange, that’s never happened to me. I stand corrected then. I’ve killed crews and stolen ships but never had ships take off with me inside and the pilot still alive.

Hmmm….strange, that’s never happened to me. I stand corrected then. I’ve killed crews and stolen ships but never had ships take off with me inside and the pilot still alive.
It's the only massive ship I've ever taken over, the rest have all been fairly small. These things are 3 stories or so, must have been 40 or 50 guys in there. It took off fairly early (the loading anyway) from when I got in there. It was pretty cool, but doesn't exactly leave you any options (as in, normally you can go in and loot everything and leave, but no where to leave to anymore, so you have to take the ship - not sure what would happen if you didn't have the right level certification? Might get stuck).

Iced Arcade

Indeed, especially considering the game is out in the open and everyone can see exactly what is and isn't in the game.

Good luck to anyone still attempting to peddle bullshit at this stage. What next, people telling us Hines wasn't lying in his tweet and that you can walk around entire planets? Laughable.
Calm Down Chill Out GIF

edit: interested...what tweet?

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Todd Howard vs prime 2015 Sean Murray in a lie off hyping their next game.

Who wins? Who can spin taller tales of their game?

Last edited:

Hugare

What's wild to me then is that if what you're saying is true, seamless planet>space transition should be possible without cutscenes?

Then why not give the player this option? To let you choose your destination as you enter the ship, and as you get to the cockpit the ship goes to space.

Something that would be crucial for the game's core is only available this way?

Last edited:
What's wild to me then is that if what you're saying is true, seamless planet>space transition should be possible without cutscenes?

Then why not give the player this option? To let you choose your destination as you enter the ship, and as you get to the cockpit the ship goes to space.

Something that would be crucial for the game's core is only available this way?
It did "load" (just not like normal) and it was basically where you would be if you hit "liftoff" from the cockpit of your own ship (I guess). It seems like a lot of things are possible, but for whatever reason they went the route they did on them.

What Todd is describing there happened to me multiple times. But because it's Bethesda, you need to enter the ship, as in, go through the hatch to load the ship's interior. If ship takes off when you're inside, you will indeed go to space.

It's exactly like this.

Topher

Gold Member
So the only way for it to happen like Todd said is for you to go through 2-3 loading screens.

I guess the same goes for if you want to explore an entire planet.

With 16 times the loading screens anything is possible in this game, infinite possibilities.

sean-murray-head-explode.gif

One loading screen. The transition from outside the ship to inside.

Edit: actually two, as said below

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

You can commandeer ships but that’s not what Todd said. He said the ship took off while he was still in it. That’s clearly not possible 😂. He didn’t say he killed the pilot and took over the ship.

You killed the crew and took over their ship. Todd said the ship took off with him still inside it as in the pilot was still alive. That clearly can’t happen in the game 😂
Like I already said, I entered it, it took off, I killed the crew and stole their ship. I have no idea how and why that happened, but it is indeed possible.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So the only way for it to happen like Todd said is for you to go through 2-3 loading screens.

I guess the same goes for if you want to explore an entire planet.

With 16 times the loading screens anything is possible in this game, infinite possibilities.

sean-murray-head-explode.gif

Yes, there's 'loading screen' when you go to ship's interior. That takes 2 seconds. And another one 1-2 seconds long when you go to space. I understand why it can bother some. It does not bother me.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, there's 'loading screen' when you go to ship's interior. That takes 2 seconds. And another one 1-2 seconds long when you go to space. I understand why it can bother some. It does not bother me.

Ah....that's right. Two loading screens. But yeah, crazy short. More like a fade out, fade in.

Last edited:

GHG

One loading screen. The transition from outside the ship to inside.

And then to space? Or does it load you straight into space from the moment you enter the ship?

Edit: never mind, answered above.

Sorry guys but it's 2023, all of that should be dynamic and seemless without any cuts/loading screens. Basically it should be exactly as Todd stated, which would negate the joke video posted above via twitter.

Modders will get us there one day, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
And then to space? Or does it load you straight into space from the moment you enter the ship?

Sorry guys but it's 2023, all of that should be dynamic and seemlessly without any cuts/loading screens. Basically it should be exactly as Todd stated, which would negate the joke video posted above via twitter.

No doubt about it. Sticking with that old ass engine was Bethesda's biggest failing. One they are already happy to repeat with TES VI......somehow.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ah....that's right. Two loading screens.

It's more like a pause than a loading screen. Yes, it's an engine limitation. But it's honestly not so bad. I'd say game is very good at respecting your time and you can make traveling from place to place as immersive or as fast as you want.

You don't want any of the bullshit? Go to mission overview, set course and boom you're there, questing and all that fun stuff.

You think that's immersion breaking? Okay, walk to your ship, go to cockpit, seat behind the controls, take off from planet, leave your seat, approach star map, plan your course manually, hit the grav drive, etc. etc. You can make in as involved or as quick as you want.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sorry guys but it's 2023, all of that should be dynamic and seemless without any cuts/loading screens. Basically it should be exactly as Todd stated, which would negate the joke video posted above via twitter.

Modders will get us there one day, I'm sure.

I mean, I hope so as Open City Mod is a must for Skyrim, but I just don't know if that can be done with Starfield.

killatopak

Gold Member
I mean, I hope so as Open City Mod is a must for Skyrim, but I just don't know if that can be done with Starfield.
Last time I tried that mod, it was pretty buggy still. Did they manage to make it stable enough? Maybe to the point that it works with other mods?

EDMIX

Last time I tried that mod, it was pretty buggy still. Did they manage to make it stable enough? Maybe to the point that it works with other mods?

That might be a issue with other mods affecting it, I never had much trouble with Open City mod.

So if I say its stable and works, its based on how it was working for me and maybe not a 100% ironclad confirmation that it has no issues lol So I'm not sure tbh. I think the loading issue in Starfield might be one of its biggest as it breaks that immersion pretty quickly, so if one plays this game for hundreds of hours, image that HOURS of that time was a loading screen. But if people are having issue with Open City Mod, it makes me worry about some mod team doing some no loading thing successfully in Starfield as we are not just talking about no loading in city gates or something, we are talking about no load from the ship to exit, to building etc.

So maybe thats just one of those mods that just can't be done or something (but this is also a never say never type thing)

So I hope it happens one day, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't either.

killatopak

Gold Member
That might be a issue with other mods affecting it, I never had much trouble with Open City mod.
Most of my issue is say if I have mod that spawns a box full of custom gear inside the city of Whiterun with preexisting coordinates, it would never show on Open Cities. I think this is because OC basically copies everything from the original city unto the overworld. Like every city is a duplicate and not the original city where my modded box of custom gear is supposed to spawn on. I think it also affects any cosmetic changing mod on the city themselves.

Raven117

Cyberpunk is low key gonna be game of the generation once all is said and done. Some people will never forgive, but the game is fucking great and with Phantom Liberty it will finally be complete.
Played through it last year… and man… it’s easily top 5 of the generation for me.

My 4090 seems to be doing just fine with it. Feel like it’s consistently 75-85. Native 4K ultra. With just shadow quality down to high.
🤭🤭🤭 Same here, I was only joking that my 4090 isn’t optimized enough to allow the pirates to take off with me in the ship 😂

Have you tried the DLSS 3 mod? You can get up to 100fps with it in the right conditions even at 4K Ultra.

Last edited:
I know I’ll be a victim of the usual “isn’t it ironic said critic put so many hours in then called the game lame because his time investment clearly indicates a level of deep enjoyment”

But I’ll proceed anyways. I mean, that is correct. I did enjoy saaaaay my first few hours with it then I started to feel it. Let me back up and explain. So I’m not an Xbox fanboy or a PlayStation fanboy or Nintendo or bethesda or anything. I’m anti tribalism. I like great games. That’s about it. I would say perhaps as I’ve gotten older my taste and standards have become quite high. I can be picky I’ll admit. What I’ll also admit is that I am a HUUUUGE skyrim fan. Huge. It claimed my entire 7th grade year when it came out. I got it on my pc in late high school and boom. Addicted again. Covid hit in 2020 while I was in college and you guessed it, during quarantine I was back in. Hundreds of hours. Hundreds. Minimum.

Something about it, the score, the exploration, even the Hogwarts legacy/nancy drew esque story telling delivery did not bother me and no I can’t quite articulate why. Fast forward to starfield and it’s my most hyped game almost ever. Behind Arkham Knight. Just ask my gf. I’ve been talking about it non stop since the gameplay reveal in 2021. I paid like $40 extra and I am NOT very liquid right now just to play the damn thing 5 days early.

I hop in and I’m like hm okay kinda slow but it’s just gettin goin. I learn the mechanics and enjoy the combat a lot and I make a point to travel to every star system and discover every bespoke event and unique quest. I submit an entire evening/night to this and it was awesome. Mainly on abandoned space stations. Classic bethesda “environmental non verbal storytelling”. Loved it. Buuuut I ran out. Pretty quickly.. Aaaaand honestly there were not that many for 1000 planets and 120 systems. Maybe like 8-10? Skyrim and fallout 4 felt like they had a lot more.

So what’s next. I guess I’ll hop in the quests. And this is where the game started to free fall to me. It hit terminal velocity. Guys. This shit is not engaging or well made simple as that. Holy fuck. Let me explain, the quests themselves, the writers showed up to work. The *stories* found in them, are quite good, but the bethesda formula, (which by the way feels particularly flat and stale here in a way oblivion/skyrim and fallout 4/fallout 3 were not) let’s it down. The *storyTELLING* is nigh-impossible to enjoy. Look let me illustrate my point, take some stories I consider great, what if last of us 1 was like this;

*walk up to tess* a PS2 model stares at you like a theme park animatronic “hey Joel, what should we do about Ellie?”

You select a dialogue option and no sound comes out because you’re a silent protagonist

“Okay. Hmmm… that could work… let’s try that out Joel” as she makes some minor robotic hand gestures.

You get into a fight with Ellie. She’s standing frozen in the middle of the room with a vague frown; “you better have a good explanation for why you tried to leave me Joel!” A persuade option appears and you succeed silently of course, she goes “hmmm… that makes sense. I’ll go back with you and Tommy now” and then slowly walks out of the room like she’s walking to her kitchen from the living room.

You see what I mean? Any story would suck if it was told this way. Who could enjoy this? Arkham. Mass effect. GTA. Red dead. Spider-Man. God of war. You put all of these through this format and voila, they suck.

And since this is getting super long I’ll wrap up with they obvious elephant in the room. The exploration. They fucked up majorly. As in, sacrificed the best part of their games. Like if rocksteady shipped a game with bad combat (they’re about to actually) or if naughty dog shipped a game with low production values.

No longer can you go from the tundra to the swampy marsh/forest to the city seamlessly and discover handcrafted shit on the way. Nope. Now you land on the North Pole by selecting it in the menu, walk around, there’s nothing besides maybe copy paste garbage. Nobody to meet. You open the menu again, select the forest of the planet. Load in there. Exit the ship, loading screen. And oh darn. Same story. The loading screens almost hit self parody. You’d swear they’re fucking with you almost. It’s atrocious. This game is talking to automatons in rooms and loading screens. And the combat becomes completely trivialized even on the hardest difficult to where it’s a fuckin joke. I walk around with the eternity gate hip firing everyone and they drop in literally 1 hit. Maybe 3 tops. On the hardest difficulty.

I’m not even some tik tok brain motherfucker but I found myself eventually skipping all the dialogue. There’s no great writing or acting to be found in any of it so why bother.

TLDR: combat is too easy, exploration too fragmented, story telling too amateur. It feels outdated and flat after a certain point early on. 84 on metacritic is fair.

Last edited:

Thanati

I know I’ll be a victim of the usual “isn’t it ironic said critic but so many hours in then called the game lame because his time investment clearly indicates a level of deep enjoyment”

But I’ll proceed anyways. I mean, that is correct. I did enjoy saaaaay my first few hours with it then I started to feel it. Let me back up and explain. So I’m not an Xbox fanboy or a PlayStation fanboy or Nintendo or bethesda or anything. I’m anti tribalism. I like great games. That’s about it. I would say perhaps as I’ve gotten older my taste and standards have become quite high. I can be picky I’ll admit. What I’ll also admit is that I am a HUUUUGE skyrim fan. Huge. It claimed my entire 7th grade year when it came out. I got it on my pc in late high school and boom. Addicted again. Covid hit in 2020 while I was in college and you guessed it, during quarantine I was back in. Hundreds of hours. Hundreds. Minimum.

Something about it, the score, the exploration, even the Hogwarts legacy/nancy drew esque story telling delivery did not bother me and no I can’t quite articulate why. Fast forward to starfield and it’s my most hyped game almost ever. Behind Arkham Knight. Just ask my gf. I’ve been talking about it non stop since the gameplay reveal in 2021. I paid like $40 extra and I am NOT very liquid right now just to play the damn thing 5 days early.

I hop in and I’m like hm okay kinda slow but it’s just gettin goin. I learn the mechanics and enjoy the combat a lot and I make a point to travel to every star system and discover every bespoke event and unique quest. I submit an entire evening/night to this and it was awesome. Mainly on abandoned space stations. Classic bethesda “environmental non verbal storytelling”. Loved it. Buuuut I ran out. Pretty quickly.. Aaaaand honestly there were not that many for 1000 planets and 120 systems. Maybe like 8-10? Skyrim and fallout 4 felt like they had a lot more.

So what’s next. I guess I’ll hop in the quests. And this is where the game started to free fall to me. It hit terminal velocity. Guys. This shit is not engaging or well made simple as that. Holy fuck. Let me explain, the quests themselves, the writers showed up to work. The *stories* found in them, are quite good, but the bethesda formula, (which by the way feels particularly flat and stale here in a way oblivion/skyrim and fallout 4/fallout 3 were not) let’s it down. The *storyTELLING* is nigh-impossible to enjoy. Look let me illustrate my point, take some stories I consider great, what if last of us 1 was like this;

*walk up to tess* a PS2 model stares at you like a theme park animatronic “hey Joel, what should we do about Ellie?”

You select a dialogue option and no sound comes out because you’re a silent protagonist

“Okay. Hmmm… that could work… let’s try that out Joel” as she makes some minor robotic hand gestures.

You get into a fight with Ellie. She’s standing frozen in the middle of the room with a vague frown; “you better have a good explanation for why you tried to leave me Joel!” A persuade option appears and you succeed silently of course, she goes “hmmm… that makes sense. I’ll go back with you and Tommy now” and then slowly walks out of the room like she’s walking to her kitchen from the living room.

You see what I mean? Any story would suck if it was told this way. Who could enjoy this? Arkham. Mass effect. GTA. Red dead. Spider-Man. God of war. You put all of these through this format and voila, they suck.

And since this is getting super long I’ll wrap up with they obvious elephant in the room. The exploration. They fucked up majorly. As in, sacrificed the best part of their game majorly. Like if rocksteady shipped a game with bad combat (they’re about to actually) or if naughty dog shipped a game with low production values.

No longer can you go from the tundra to the swampy marsh/forest to the city seamlessly and discover handcrafted shit on the way. Nope. Now you land on the North Pole by selecting it in the menu, walk around, there’s nothing besides maybe copy paste garbage. Nobody to meet. You open the menu again, select the forest of the planet. Load in there. Exit the ship, loading screen. And oh darn. Same story. The loading screens almost hit self parody. You’d swear they’re fucking with you almost. It’s atrocious. This game is talking to automatons in rooms and loading screens. And the combat becomes completely trivialized even on the hardest difficult to where it’s a fuckin joke. I walk around with the eternity gate hip firing everyone and they drop in literally 1 hit. Maybe 3 tops. On the hardest difficulty.

I’m not even some tik tok brain motherfucker but I found myself eventually skipping all the dialogue. There’s no great writing or acting to be found in any of it so why bother.

TLDR: combat is too easy, exploration too fragmented, story telling too amateur. It feels outdated and flat after a certain point early on. 84 on metacritic is fair.
I‘m actually with you on this. The story is, well, pretty bad. The options available always lead to the same thing and yeah, ground combat does feel a tax weak.

Gambit2483

I find myself struggling to return to it, but when I do everything falls back in place. Unless something clicks and seriously hooks me I doubt I'll finish it.

Fast forward to starfield and it’s my most hyped game almost ever. Behind Arkham Knight. Just ask my gf. I’ve been talking about it non stop since the gameplay reveal in 2021.

I found your problem. Stop doing this with Bethesda games.

Top Bottom