• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
u wot?

Even Fallout 4, which was widely considered to be more of an 'average" Bethesda title, sits at an 88:

https://opencritic.com/game/1508/fallout-4

If Starfield doesn't get a 90+ it will be considered a disappointment. That may seem unfair but this game has been in full development for 8 years by a very reputable studio. I don't know of any other top tier studio taking that long on one game. Even GTA 6 won't be in full production for that length of time

johnjohn

Not sure what you're laughing at. If 2 is as good as 1, it will be in contention for goty, which is what the guy you quoted said.
First, It will not be in serious contention for GoTY. Second, the poster I quoted said that Starfield won't be a strong contender because of Spider-man, which is laughable. Spiderm-man will be a good game, that's about it. It's not doing anything new or exciting, and it's the same formula we've been playing since the Spider-man games on PS2.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
First, It will not be in serious contention for GoTY. Second, the poster I quoted said that Starfield won't be a strong contender because of Spider-man, which is laughable.
Yes, it will. Keyword contention. If 2 is as good as 1, it will a top 5 game of the year.

So you're laughing cause he thinks theres a chance Spiderman 2 will outscore Starfield. Cause Microsoft is so reliable, and cause Insomniac def isn't. Ok.

Kilau

Low 90s with a ton of hype reviews then a year from now the consensus will be it was just ok and didn’t do anything new.

mrmustard

Banned
Not sure what you're laughing at. If 2 is as good as 1, it will be in contention for goty, which is what the guy you quoted said.
If you meany by GOTY Geoff's 3h promotional event then yes: It will 100% be nominated. But there is absoultely 0 chance it will get anywhere close to win most GOTY awards which is the only interesting benchmark.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
If you meany by GOTY Geoff's 3h promotional event then yes: It will 100% be nominated. But there is absoultely 0 chance it will get anywhere close to win most GOTY awards which is the only interesting benchmark.
The guy said contention. So you agree it will be in contention.

Ooooook bud seems youre a bit too bought into the hype. Lets hope for your sake it lives up to it.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
A lot of system wars energy in this thread.

I think the game will be good.

I’d say 85-89 after all is said and done (70+ reviews).

Bigfroth

It will be as good as any other Bethesda game. no more no less. People think this game will arrive on the shoulders of Jesus lol. I got it pre-loaded on the Series S I'm ready.

85-90

Think it’ll land around 89 or 90

Game looks great but a few of the usual Bethesda flaws will keep it from higher scores

Could be wrong and the hype gets to reviewers though and they can ignore the combat AI and NPC jankyness

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Chiming in at this historical point of gaming. I am guessing 90-94. My on the money guess is 92.

"Starfield without a doubt delivers on its promises of galactic scope. You may encounter an occasional visual oddity and performance issue – but in totality – Starfield is strikingly beautiful and unimaginably massive. The tight gunplay and extensive amount of customization options keep things fresh throughout its roughly 80hr runtime (main quest and some side quests/exploration).

While the story does not reach any strong emotional highs, it does deliver a captivating and enthralling view of the nature of man and what drives our need for exploration. If you focus your playthrough on the paragon side of things – Starfield is refreshingly positive – and proves there is hope for the future of humanity."

80-85 although I wouldn’t be surprised if the usual suspects need to placate their masters with perfect scores due to the criticism Xbox has been getting the past few years and the build up to this game along with it.

Or, it could be that’s it actually a sublime game and deserves the critical acclaim without the bullshit , which is what I would like to happen .

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
If Starfield doesn't get a 90+ it will be considered a disappointment. That may seem unfair but this game has been in full development for 8 years by a very reputable studio. I don't know of any other top tier studio taking that long on one game. Even GTA 6 won't be in full production for that length of time

I think RDR2 comes close.

GymWolf

What are you talking about? Metacritic for Fallout 4 is 84%, at least for the PC version. Which is spot on and aligns with the most reliable score there is: Steam user reviews (83% positive from 200k reviews).
84 for that game is super high cmon.

It's a 7 at best if we utilize the full scale, and i'm being gentle.

DeaDPo0L84

It's not doing anything new or exciting, and it's the same formula we've been playing since the Spider-man games on PS2.
To be fair the same could be said about Starfield. Mass Effect came out years ago, No Man's Sky as well, I think two years before Starfield was even announced.

Unless there is some holy shit wtf thing we don't know about Starfield, for all intents and purposes it's essentially Bethesda's take on things that have already been done.

Which is great don't get me wrong, it could even be the best game when discussing among others that have done something similar, but to pretend like it's the first to do anything is revising history.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I will die on my hill of believing fallout 4 was mediocre at best.
Like i said, i was gentle because i know that midgen loved the exploration and still liked the game.

I enjoyed 20 hours of it in 2 different occasions before bailing out because nothing was really great and could not kept my attention high.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't take my word for it. 200,000 people seem to agree. Outside of dog shit main story, it's very, very good. And because this is not a scripted corridor game, the story that devs crafted is not that important.
200.000 people?

I thought it was a mediocre (decent at best) shooter with a decent world to explore, i gave 7 to games that i liked far more.

Again, i'm being respectful here because we are pals.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
I think ps fans are anticipating this game more than the Xbox and pc people I mean how will they live if this scores higher than all their 2 people walking climbing and talking simulators
Good lord. People like this guy who pretend Playstation isnt the best console with the best content still exist in this generation huh? lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Expecting the best RPG of all time.
kaz.png

Unfortunately, even if it is, Bethesda doesn't get the same treatment as industry darling FROM. This has zero chance of reviewing better than Elden Ring.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
200.000 people?

Yeah, on Steam. It's a solid 83% there.

I thought it was a mediocre (decent at best) shooter with a decent world to explore, i gave 7 to games that i liked far more.

Again, i'm being respectful here.

I hated it at release. It looked and played like ass on PS4 and I went in expecting a deep RPG. Played it for few hours and stopped. Then I returned on PC years later and yeah, it looked much better and run almost flawlessly. I approached it as survival / exploration game and had a blast. Easily the best Fallout game from a gameplay perspective.

LordCBH

Like i said, i was gentle because i know that midgen loved the exploration and still liked the game.

I enjoyed 20 hours of it in 2 different occasions before bailing out because nothing was really great and could not kept my attention high.

I will say it did have some good DLC though.

Top Bottom