• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Was Planned For PS5 Prior To Microsoft's ZeniMax Acquisition, FTC Says

twilo99

That’s why Microsoft’s logic here is dodgy. If they were worried about Starfield then they could have done a deal for that game, not bought the entire publisher and then cancelled versions of PS5 games too. That’s using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

It’s classic 90s Microsoft again.

Not if it’s happening systematically and for a prolonged period of time.

Neo_game

No. Look at all the other exclusivity deals Sony made with Bethesda: Deathloop PS5 & PC; Ghostwire PS5 & PC.

The Starfield deal was for timed console exclusivity, meaning a simultaneous release on PS5 & PC.

Did he say timed exclusive or exclusive what was the exact quote from Phil ?

Fabieter

Was told many times those talks happened back and forth with Sony as well as Microsoft about overall acquisition (not Starfield exclusivity) and usually were initiated up by Todd Howard

Both Sony and MS knew Zenimax was looking to be acquired the problem was the starting asking price of 20B

I will have to look at my PC back in Indiana to see if I have the receipts to prove this number though I know many of these talks were held over voice chat so might not be able to prove said number anyhow

So they knew sony tried to get them and snacked them first. I think that's fair game but why would he lie in court about it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
OP seems to have a lot invested in the activision deal as he keeps posting these threads. Lol

For me I’m glad ms bought Bethesda because every first party game gets a pc port that you can install on pc.

If I wanted to buy starfield I can also install and save sync between my pc and Xbox. You can do that with any first party game released after a certain year in the Xbox one’s life. That’s the best feature ever.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So they knew sony tried to get them and snacked them first. I think that's fair game but why would he lie in court about it.
Can't answer that, possible I was lied to, by a good friend, on many occasions

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

EDMIX

Nothing was taken away …

yea, I have a hard, hard time believing that. I don't think anyone here really believes that. They spend generations putting games on PS and randomly Starfield skips PS5?

Strong doubt on that one lol

If the rumor is even true that Sony was looking to money hat Starfield as a timed game, it ironically supports for a fact it was in development for PS5 to even ask or consider something like that, so I just don't buy that it wasn't being made for PS5 and Series X and PC or something.

That sounds really odd based on what we saw them do for 2 generations in a row regarding stuff like Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, NV, ESO, Fallout 4, Fallout 76 etc ohhhhhh but Starfield isn't on PS5, but wasn't funnna be lol

Who is really buying that lie though? This isn't even debating if MS owns them or not or something, merely that it seems illogical that they'd randomly out of the blue skip the market leader for lolz, I just don't see that making any sense tbh. Out of all the wild things in this story btw, this isn't even it lol This is the fucking thing MOST of us with any logic already figured.

So I think this move hurting MS has a lot to do with them not knowing such a lie would come back to hurt them during the Activision purchase.

Topher Topher oh wow, I actually never knew that. That means if Bethesda needed the money and was open to such a deal, thus went to Sony, it might be why ultimately the were also open to selling Zenimax in the first place.

Regardless of who helped front that money, I'm happy Starfield exist as a thing, but its clear based on their history, it was going to be on many platforms and I highly doubt the market leader was the system that was going to be skipped.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I doubt that's true about modern Xbox. Some of the biggest games of this year - Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Jedi Survivor, Street Fighter 6 - had a 70/30, 80/20 and even 90/10 sales split between PlayStation and Xbox, likely due to the impact that Game Pass has had on consumer habits within the Xbox ecosystem, to the point that some of them failed to even chart on Xbox's "50 most played" list of active users.

Back to Starfield, well, Bethesda was in a dire spot back in 2020, hence why they were making all those deals in an attempt to stay afloat until Starfield, following five straight years of sale flops from their entire family of studios.
The modding makes a difference, it always has with Bethesda games, Morrowind kept selling over the years because of them on PC, you can't compare the games you are mentioning with a BGS main game, a lot of Xbox owners use to be PC gamers as well, and Playstation has a troubled history with TES and Fallout titles, ok it was the cell processor, but still true, i think a lot of xbox gamers will play Starfield, you can't go by sales obviously because of gamepass, but i disagree.

ABnormal

These acquisitions seem more and more like Xbox had no choice. Zenimax/Bethesda, Activision/Blizzard, and Square Enix were not afraid of ditching Xbox for a Sony deal.
Please, not a single high selling IP has ever been a PS exclusive. The only third party exclusives (both timed or permanent) were always titles that come out once several years and sell an handful of millions (and always sold poorly on Xbox, like japanese titles).
Don't even try to compare those sporadic insignificant titles to the likes of a permanent monopolization of the biggest IPs that define videogames market itself.

If XBox is behind the competitors is because they are simply inept. They have no skill nor interest on developing new and advanced games.

But hey, if you have the money you can buy the market itself!! Even if you are not competitive because you suck.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They literally can. They proved this when they signed Tomb Raider from the same company. It just takes money which MS have plenty of

By the same measure, Sony had the funds to buy Bethesda and passed on it.

Have you heard yourself 😂. The destroy competition was refering to destroying Sony by buying Activision not starfield.

And yet Jim Ryan circulated internal emails where he said Sony would be perfectly fine post acquisition.

You're not capable of looking at ms history regarding monopolies it seems because the company as a long history of anti competitive behaviour and buying the biggest 3rd party publisher sure is anti competitive, especially when you throw in their bullshit double speak and quotes of destroying Sony.

Regulators are currently working through the process to prove or disprove whether or not the deal is ‘anti-competitive’. It’s worth pointing out that the FTC, the only regulator to claim anticompetitive behavior in the non cloud gaming space is only able to push that narrative by excluding PC and Nintendo Switch AND painting a grim picture of MS breaking contracts.

No matter how many times you screech it, it’s really just your opinion that the projected deal is anti-competitive.

You can carry on shilling now.

I’m starting to believe I know your favorite word now.

twilo99

For me I’m glad ms bought Bethesda because every first party game gets a pc port that you can install on pc.

Any gamer that uses Xbox or PC benefits from Microsoft purchasing publishers because it enhances the ecosystem they use, especially if they are on gamepass. There is simply no argument against it.

Microsoft buying Activision is “bad for consumers” fails to mention which consumers exactly… it’s definitely not PC and Xbox gamers, which is quite a big number, but according to the CMA, those people don’t matter.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Guess what guys, in light of the new evidence discussed on here if Sony were successful in purchasing zenimax all these games would be exclusive to playstation for sure.

It's just the way this one went.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Any gamer that uses Xbox or PC benefits from Microsoft purchasing publishers because it enhances the ecosystem they use, especially if they are on gamepass. There is simply no argument against it.

Microsoft buying Activision is “bad for consumers” fails to mention which consumers exactly… it’s definitely not PC and Xbox gamers, which is quite a big number, but according to the CMA, those people don’t matter.
Bethesda to be fair was having problems releasing games on PC and Xbox before, only PS exclusives… right right :rolleyes:.

We have seen how the support of MS influenced Redfall and their output so far…

Come on folks... sigh…

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Bethesda to be fair was having problems releasing games on PC and Xbox before :rolleyes:.

We have seen how the support of MS influenced Redfall and their output so far…

Come on folks... sigh…
Before I would have to buy the game twice and play them separately.
Now I buy it once and play the same save on both.

If my Xbox breaks I can still access the game on pc. I can upgrade my pc and still play the game. I can buy a new Xbox and very easily still continue the same game.

Do you not understand what we are talking about?

Last edited:

Pop

So Phil or Bethesda/Zenimax has the proof right? Surely

Maybe if Xbox put out better exclusives for the last 10 years they wouldn't be in the position of sucking ass

Fabieter

You can't think of a way ms buying more and more publishers negatively impacting pc and xbox players.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So as Big Jim is too scared to actually go to this...is the video grilling done by Microsoft lawyers to him..so just like it would be if he was there bit they can't come up with anything on the spot really?

I'm dying for some juicy info.

VAVA Mk2

So they should have just laid over and let Sony keep paying third parties to shut them out of games to further dissuade people from possibly buying an XBox and instead buy a PS?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So as Big Jim is too scared to actually go to this...is the video grilling done by Microsoft lawyers to him..so just like it would be if he was there bit they can't come up with anything on the spot really?

Same exact situation as today but somewhere else, some other time. You are not going to get anything juicy out of that unless there are leaks.

At the time, Zenimax wasn’t doing so hot, was looking to sell, and barring that, no doubt would’ve seriously considered taking tens of millions in cash from Sony to make Starfield exclusive. Absolutely sounds plausible.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

yes, we want a new sega
If Microsoft leaves the console market, it is Sony and Nintendo. This is less competition. It is bad for consumers. Look at the cellular industry in the US after T-Mobile bought Sprint. Prices are going up on all 3 and less product differentiation or reason to improve or try new things. You don't want Sony to get lazy/complacent.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If Microsoft leaves the console market, it is Sony and Nintendo. This is less competition. It is bad for consumers. Look at the cellular industry in the US after T-Mobile bought Sprint. Prices are going up on all 3 and less product differentiation or reason to improve or try new things. You don't want Sony to get lazy/complacent.
Oh, so MS is trying to destroy games’ perceived value and buy all the biggest multiplatform games publishers just to compete? The trials and tribulations of the poor $3 Trillion company fighting with a bully 1/30 of their size? Is this the argument now?

Last edited:

kirby007

you mean like the last decade? there are no gamers on this forum just wallstreetbetsredditors

Brucey

Doesn't Microsoft kind of give Sony money on any game put on disc. Sony owns Blu-ray.
Sony is just one of the members of the blu-ray group:

"The "Blu-ray Disc founder group" was started on 20 May 2002 by nine electronic companies: Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung Electronics and Sony.[2] In order to enable more companies to participate, it announced in May 2004 that it would form the Blu-ray Disc Association, which was inaugurated on 4 October 2004."

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I imagine Jim wants to stay out of it as much as possible or he will start to have to tell more about Sony’s dealings.

Astray

Gold Member
I don't understand why he couldn't just counter-bid on it?

Very strange how this +2 trillion company is trying to paint itself as the underdog in this fight.

VAVA Mk2

I don't understand why he couldn't just counter-bid on it?

Very strange how this +2 trillion company is trying to paint itself as the underdog in this fight.
In gaming they are. Look at Google and Stadia. Way more money than Sony and they absolutely sucked with gaming. They pulled out before actually putting weight behind a first party development studio. Most of Microsoft's money comes from cloud computing services through Azure and business to business Windows and Office licenses.

Smart

But sadly those PS5 only bros can still play the game on any number of other non-Xbox devices.

Yup, pay 10$ for a month game pass and if I really like it pay another 10$ for a 2nd month. Can play it just fine on the PC, no box needed. Will do the same whenever the next Doom launches except that one I'll probably only need a single month pass to finish it.

Brucey

I'll take that with a pinch of salt, Starfield is a gigantic project, I don't believe Bethesda would make it exclusive, WRPGs actually has a following on Xbox and the game no doubt would sell enough to justify the port.
I could have seen a PS5/PC exclusive deal, but looks like MSFT decided to spend $7 billion to make Starfield an xb console exclusive.

Top Bottom