• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield will be announced for PS5 with a release between November and December 2024. The 2025 plan is even bigger, featuring well-establis

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well see it's exactly this kinds of talk that propegated the forums. MS just spent Billions on the xbox brand, has always had multiplatform games like Minecraft, etc, but your take away from 4 lesser known or older games being released multiplatform is that the Xbox console will cease to exist?
History and common sense? The history is MS has been commited to the console space for 22+ years and if anything have been spending more money to break into it, not less. I don't get how you come to this conclusion based on history, history of who?
The simple fact of the matter is that you refuse to read between the lines and understand how business works. Before acquiring Bethesda and ABK, Xbox was a much much much smaller division, seen as a toy. Something that could easily fit in as a write off. Back then Phil, Greenberg and Booty could get by with not delivering and merely keeping their head above water.

Now that ABK and Bethesda (mostly ABK) are now in the picture, that division is no longer a small division, but a significant source of revenue.
Phil likely sold these acquisitions on the promise that they would increase their gaming marketshare. Did that happen? No.

In fact, they've lost marketshare, they have not increased their subscribers counts and somehow people like you are gullible enough to believe that MS is going to squander all that revenue from Playstation/Nintendo via ABK JUST so they can put Call of Duty on Gamepass Day 1....

Phil and Xbox flew too close to the sun and now the executives are no longer interested in treating Xbox like a toy. They want it to deliver. Starfield, had no impact, $349 consoles had no impact. Literally nothing has had a significant impact. They're no interested in Phil's promises anymore.

That's why.

Last edited:
The simple fact of the matter is that you refuse to read between the lines and understand how business works. Before acquiring Bethesda and ABK, Xbox was a much much much smaller division, seen as a toy something that could easily fit in as a write off. Back then Phil, Greenberg and Booty could get by with not delivering and merely keeping their head above water.

Now that ABK and Bethesda (mostly ABK) are now in the picture, that division is no longer a small division, but a significant source of revenue.
Phil likely sold these acquisitions on the promise that they would increase their gaming marketshare. Did that happen? No.

In fact, they've lost marketshare, they have not increased their subscribers counts and somehow people like you are gullible enough to believe that MS is going to squander all that revenue from Playstation/Nintendo via ABK JUST so they can put Call of Duty on Gamepass Day 1....

Phil and Xbox flew too close to the sun and now the executives are no longer interested in treating Xbox like a toy. Starfield, had no impact, $349 consoles had no impact. Literally nothing has had a significant impact.

That's why.
Staples was selling the Series X for $299 and it didn't even make it on gaming sites.
But slap spongebob on it with a 4 month old 70 MC game and it's totally worth $699!!!
GamePass and some sales might keep the console relevant some as they go 3rd party.
An example is that I bought Hellblade yesterday for $3 on Xbox, still $30 on PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
They are trying to wish it into existence. They don't even care about Starfield as a game. They just want to be proven right that Microsoft needs Playstation owner's money to recoup the investment made to produce big budget titles. Hasn't proven true yet and they're trying to use Hi Rush and Pentiment as some "Slippery Slope Theory" because they are desperate.

Doesn't matter if folks are wishing for any of this to come true or not. Multiple rumors of Microsoft becoming more a third party publisher have, in fact, come true. Phil Spencer could have slammed the door on all this Starfield to PS talk when they had their "business event" podcast, but he flatly refused to do so. Might as well just said yes, there is more to come. Now we have a proven insider repeating the Starfield to PS rumor and somehow it is all still wishful thinking? Come on man. There is a hell of a lot of smoke behind this whether you like it or not.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Doesn't matter if folks are wishing for any of this to come true or not. Multiple rumors of Microsoft becoming more a third party publisher have, in fact, come true. Phil Spencer could have slammed the door on all this Starfield to PS talk when they had their "business event" podcast, but he flatly refused to do so. Might as well just said yes, there is more to come. Now we have a proven insider repeating the Starfield to PS rumor and somehow it is all still wishful thinking? Come on man. There is a hell of a lot of smoke behind this whether you like it or not.

Phil said there are no current plans for Starfield on Playstation. This guy said its coming this year. We will see who is lying.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Phil said there are no current plans for Starfield on Playstation. This guy said its coming this year. We will see who is lying.
We have people who still believe what Phil is selling....

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
We have people who still believe what Phil is selling....

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Well I'll just wait. You guys stirred up a storm last time and it was a whole lot of nothing over throwaway shit that barely sold or cost anything to produce and live service games designed to milk you of currency. Keep on hoping though for Starfield.

Last edited:

Kacho

Phil is such a silver tongued devil lol. Come October he'll be like:

"We had no plans in February, but when we look at where the industry is headed we saw a great opportunity to bring Starfield to more players. This will help Xbox grow as a platform and empower our team to make even more games."

I do think this year is little too soon. I expect a 2025 release. Place them bets boys!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Phil is such a silver tongued devil lol. Come October he'll be like:

"We had no plans in February, but when we look at where the industry is headed we saw a great opportunity to bring Starfield to more players. This will help Xbox grow as a platform and empower our team to make even more games."

I do think this year is little too soon. I expect a 2025 release. Place them bets boys!

We will see. But if we don't see Starfield this year or six months into next year, you wont see a single soul on here buying into these rumors say "I didn't know what the hell I was talking about".

Topher

Gold Member

He left the door wide open in his interview with The Verge.

'Spencer confirms that Starfield and Indiana Jones are not part of the first four games, but he doesn’t rule out the possibility for these titles to arrive on PS5 in the future. “I don’t think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform,” says Spencer in an interview with The Verge. “We’re focused on these four games and learning from the experience. We don’t have work going on, on other franchises. But for anybody to stand up and say something’s never going to happen, I think it feels like creating more certainty in a world of gaming where you really want to respond to what customers want and what our players and creators are looking for.”'

But you are partially right. If Starfield comes to PS5 this year then Phil Spencer was lying. There is no way he can't not know what is going on right now insider Xbox. If the insider is wrong then he is not necessarily lying. Wrong doesn't automatically equate to being distruthful.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well I'll just wait. You guys stirred up a storm last time and it was a whole lot of nothing over throwaway shit that barely sold or cost anything to produce and live service games designed to milk you of currency. Keep on hoping though for Starfield.
I already got my 1000 achievement points for Starfield. Would I play it again on PS5? Possibly.

Topher

Gold Member
We will see. But if we don't see Starfield this year or six months into next year, you wont see a single soul on here buying into these rumors say "I didn't know what the hell I was talking about".

That's because no one here is the source of these rumors. Everyone here is simply reacting to them. There were plenty of folks who were adamant that there no Xbox games going to PlayStation. If we are going to say someone didn't know what they were talking about then start there.

DJ12

Had nothing to do with being banned, it was actually kind of interesting to watch it all unfold. The huge amounts of bias, the panic, the overreactions. I don't know what to say to you guys if you really think nobody blew it out of proportion, I think you need to re-read everything that went down.
It was epic, really. It was not a "a few people joking". But if you can't see the trees through the forest, not much I can do.
No one is saying no one did, you generalised the entire forum in some attempt at hyperbole.

You are just over sensitive because it was bad news for xbox die hards.

DJ12

You guys as in Phil, Sarah and the other dude, plus the army of their own leakers, influencers and shills going bat shit over it?

I thought the way xbox fans have been treated was a disgrace, funny for sho, but still....

And yet you still sip the kool-aid like many others.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I did not and still don't agree with the speculation that Xbox will cease to exist based on any rumor we've heard. Plenty of us discussing the rumors said as much. Yes, plenty of folks speculated that the end of Xbox consoles would be the end result of all this as well. Fact of the matter is that were a hell of a lot of nuance in the discussions from folks on this forum. That's why I find all these "GAF said" takes to be incredibly silly.

That's fair enough, but by the same token it's completely disengenious to say nobody overreacted and it wasn't completely overblown but a very large group of people here.

NickFire

He left the door wide open in his interview with The Verge.

'Spencer confirms that Starfield and Indiana Jones are not part of the first four games, but he doesn’t rule out the possibility for these titles to arrive on PS5 in the future. “I don’t think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform,” says Spencer in an interview with The Verge. “We’re focused on these four games and learning from the experience. We don’t have work going on, on other franchises. But for anybody to stand up and say something’s never going to happen, I think it feels like creating more certainty in a world of gaming where you really want to respond to what customers want and what our players and creators are looking for.”'

But you are partially right. If Starfield comes to PS5 this year then Phil Spencer was lying. There is no way he can't not know what is going on right now insider Xbox. If the insider is wrong then he is not necessarily lying. Wrong doesn't automatically equate to being distruthful.
I disagree that he would have been lying. He used the word franchises. In my book neither Starfield nor their Indy game would qualify as a franchise yet. If they had sequels then sure. But as of now they are just two games, one released and one in development. Halo, Gears, Forza would be their main franchises.

Dorago

They would need to completely remake the game in order to salvage it's reputation at this point. Are the outsourcing studios going to be able to do this for them? Is there even enough competent programmers left on earth at this point to complete a video game anymore?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So you think these four games are going to be it? Nothing after that?

I think they could care less about sending over throwaway shit. When I see games that they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and market like Indiana Jones, Starfield, Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza etc then I'll believe the sky is falling. Not Pentiment and games designed to bleed money continuously from customers. Ask yourself. Why Sea Of Thieves and not Halo infinite? They have way more money invested into Halo Infinite being a successful live service game. Obviously much more is going into these decisions that just recouping money.

Topher

Gold Member
That's fair enough, but by the same token it's completely disengenious to say nobody overreacted and it wasn't completely overblown but a very large group of people here.

I'd say there were a significant chunk of folks who responded as you say. Just hard to quantifiy in my mind how "large" the group was as there were so many threads and a shitton of comments.

I disagree that he would have been lying. He used the word franchises. In my book neither Starfield nor their Indy game would qualify as a franchise yet. If they had sequels then sure. But as of now they are just two games, one released and one in development. Halo, Gears, Forza would be their main franchises.

Fair point. Think you are right.

You’re mistaken, none of that ever happened. There weren’t dozens of threads and hundreds of posts claiming Xbox was about to bow out of hardware entirely and become strictly third party. Halo and Gears and Starfield and Forza all coming soon to PS5, nah. GamePass neutered with no more day one releases? Nah, you’re confusing this place with another forum.

I do disagree with you about Starfield though, it’ll eventually come to other consoles.

Topher

Gold Member
I think they could care less about sending over throwaway shit. When I see games that they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and market like Indiana Jones, Starfield, Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza etc then I'll believe the sky is falling. Not Pentiment and games designed to bleed money continuously from customers. Ask yourself. Why Sea Of Thieves and not Halo infinite? They have way more money invested into Halo Infinite being a successful live service game. Obviously much more is going into these decisions that just recouping money.

You think Hi Fi Rush is throwaway shit? That seems like a really convenient take now that the games are going to PlayStation, frankly. Somehow I doubt you've ever described these games this way prior to 2024.

I think these games were picked because they are not iconic franchises associated with the Xbox brand like Halo, Gears or Forza. I disagree that these games are "throwaway shit". But these games going to PS are not going to have nearly as much impact on the Xbox brand as their main franchises which I don't think will ever be on other platforms. I think the chance so of Starfield and other Bethesda games eventually going to PlayStation are very high though.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You think Hi Fi Rush is throwaway shit? That seems like a really convenient take now that the games are going to PlayStation, frankly. Somehow I doubt you've ever described these games this way prior to 2024.

I think these games were picked because they are not iconic franchises associated with the Xbox brand like Halo, Gears or Forza. I disagree that these games are "throwaway shit". But these games going to PS are not going to have nearly as much impact on the Xbox brand as their main franchises which I don't think will ever be on other platforms. I think the chance so of Starfield and other Bethesda games eventually going to PlayStation are very high though.

Yes the fact that it was shadow dropped signifies it being low investment with low sales expectations from Microsoft. The way I see it, Microsoft is doing both Obsidian and Tango a favor letting them keep hope that the games they worked hard to develop will flourish due to increased exposure. We both know it wont be the case. I beat Hifi Rush. Its excellent. Plenty of excellent games have failed to capture a large consumer base.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ask yourself. Why Sea Of Thieves and not Halo infinite?
Fan backlash. you ease them in slowly. Why was Quantum Break ported to PC first and not Halo Guardians? To minimize the outrage as best as they can.

Why did Sony start with Horizon ZD and not TLOU2, GOW, Spiderman or Uncharted?

Why did Herman keep saying that HZD is just one game knowing full well he had three separate studios working on porting Days Gone, GOW 2018 and TLOU1 remake at the time?

Why did insomniac tweet that Spiderman will NEVER be ported to PC?

There is no way hifi rush, sea of thieves and other games only started the porting process a few months ago. The discussions must have started a year ago, and the ports likely took around 6-9 months. They kept it a secret until the very end to minimize sales backlash during the holiday season. even if starfield doesnt come out this year, i can promise you the studio already knows and is already working on the port.

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Fan backlash. you ease them in slowly. Why was Quantum Break ported to PC first and not Halo Guardians? To minimize the outrage as best as they can.

Why did Sony start with Horizon ZD and not TLOU2, GOW, Spiderman or Uncharted?

Why did Herman keep saying that HZD is just one game knowing full well he had three separate studios working on porting Days Gone, GOW 2018 and TLOU1 remake at the time?

Why did insomniac tweet that Spiderman will NEVER be ported to PC?

There is no way hifi rush, sea of thieves and other games only started the porting process a few months ago. The discussions must have started a year ago, and the ports likely took around 6-9 months. They kept it a secret until the very end to minimize sales backlash during the holiday season. even if starfield doesnt come out this year, i can promise you the studio already knows and is already working on the port.
I was saying that I expected Starfield to get a PS5 release on down the line BEFORE it was even released. Back when people thought that Starfield would be bigger than it ended up being. Back when I expected it actually move the needle in terms of sales/subscriptions.

I will say that if Starfield had given some increases in consoles sales to xbox, that MS might have been more open to see if ABK had moved the needle.

MS likely sees it as far too risky to mess with ABK franchises by taking them off Sony/Nintendo.

THE DUCK

1. They spent billions on the Xbox brand, which I'm not speculating will go away. My speculation is only about the console itself.
2. History > Sega. We know what happens when a console manufacturer puts its first-party exclusive games on other consoles.
3. Minecraft and Sea of Thieves / Hi-Fi Rush / Pentiment / Grounded / As Dusk Falls are not the same. It's disingneous to pretend that these 5 games are the same as Minecraft and no big deal.

The conclusion is fairly simple.

If/when more Xbox games to PlayStation and Nintendo, Xbox's fast-shrinking market share will decrease even further and faster. More people will buy PS and Nintendo over Xbox. It'll reach a point where it'll be financially unviable for them to continue to console: research, development, production, marketing, etc. The same situation as Dreamcast.

But all that's besides the point, as that is speculation.

To your point, there were never any rumors like this. And people are free to speculate.

1. Stands to reason an increase in the Xbox brand will keep the consoles around, especially the purchase of activision. MS isn't keen on sharing 30% on all it's software.
2. Sega from 20 years ago as a broke small company has very little to do with the juggernaut that MS is and it's huge cash reserves, apples to oranges
3. Minecraft and those games have tons in common, espeically Sea of Theives and Grounded being online service games. Pentiment and Hi-fi rush are small time potatoes.

There is no doubt that slowing sales of consoles is a problem, but this can be recified with a fresh wave of excellent software, after all, we all know software drives the hardware and not the other way around.
Price may pay a factor as well. Who knows though, they could give up, or they could simply retool for the next gen.

Mobilemofo

Both hifi rush and sea of thieves looks mid as fuck. Not interested in pentiment at all. Don't see what the hype was about. 3 "meh" games..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
1. Stands to reason an increase in the Xbox brand will keep the consoles around, especially the purchase of activision. MS isn't keen on sharing 30% on all it's software.
2. Sega from 20 years ago as a broke small company has very little to do with the juggernaut that MS is and it's huge cash reserves, apples to oranges
3. Minecraft and those games have tons in common, espeically Sea of Theives and Grounded being online service games. Pentiment and Hi-fi rush are small time potatoes.

There is no doubt that slowing sales of consoles is a problem, but this can be recified with a fresh wave of excellent software, after all, we all know software drives the hardware and not the other way around.
Price may pay a factor as well. Who knows though, they could give up, or they could simply retool for the next gen.
It's too late for Xbox. Starfield and $349 holiday sales were their hail mary and they failed.

Starfield showed that to not be the case. Xbox console sales were actually lower that month and the from the previous years.

If Bethesda couldn't do ANYTHING to move the needle for Xbox, then I don't see how anyone with a functioning brain can be confident that anything they have coming now, will do it. Not to mention, all these rumors have certainly not convinced anyone not in the Xboxecosystem to invest.

reinking

Gold Member
Wasn't a lot of the Xbox leaning influencers going nuts and having meltdowns? Puhlease with the finger pointing. This narrative was not being driven by "GAF" or "You guys." It was being driven by some of the greenest of rats.

THE DUCK

It's too late for Xbox. Starfield and $349 holiday sales were their hail mary and they failed.

Starfield showed that to not be the case. Xbox console sales were actually lower that month and the from the previous years.

If Bethesda couldn't do ANYTHING to move the needle for Xbox, then I don't see how anyone with a functioning brain can be confident that anything they have coming now, will do it. Not to mention, all these rumors have certainly not convinced anyone not in the Xboxecosystem to invest.

If console history has taught us anything, it's that one generation does not fail a company. Just look at Nintendo, could have thrown in the towel after the gamecube sold only 20 million units or the paltry 13 Million of the Wii U.
Xbox series has way more than that at 28 million sold, and the generation isn't even over. Keeping in mind too this number is always reduced by releasing all thier games on pc day and date, I suspect that number would be higher if they didn't do PC releases.

The key really is what software comes out in the future.

S0ULZB0URNE

If console history has taught us anything, it's that one generation does not fail a company. Just look at Nintendo, could have thrown in the towel after the gamecube sold only 20 million units or the paltry 13 Million of the Wii U.
Xbox series has way more than that at 28 million sold, and the generation isn't even over. Keeping in mind too this number is always reduced by releasing all thier games on pc day and date, I suspect that number would be higher if they didn't do PC releases.

History teaches us that when a console maker never wins a generation they bow out of the console making market.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

The difference being that Nintendo was dominant in prior gens to the 32-bit era. If history shows you anything, it's that the losing team never dictates how the industry moves and exits hardware when all else has failed. Fortunately, Xbox is backed by Microsoft, so it may never meet that sort of fate, but it will also never enjoy the sort of success that has only befallen Nintendo and PlayStation — the two undeniably biggest brands in gaming by many, many miles!

Last edited:
Top Bottom