• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield will be announced for PS5 with a release between November and December 2024. The 2025 plan is even bigger, featuring well-establis

JackMcGunns

Really? And then you spout revisionist history right afterwards?

I think it's a joke about the Xbox slogan "beta tested in the future".
9c46021d.jpg

Haha, but seriously, I doubt that it was in reference to that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wow, did you even read the forums on the past month? This is exactly what happened last time, it started with a couple of older games and snowballed into total bs. It didn't even matter what the facts were anymore.
But by all means, let's keep starting rumor threads and go through round two.
No, you can stop us by sharing any credible rumor that Xbox was going to announce leaving the console business, and GAF entertained that rumor.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No, you can stop us by sharing any credible rumor that Xbox was going to announce leaving the console business, and GAF entertained that rumor.

Your joking right? People were heading for the hills, crying bloody murder, and selling xboxes. Sony die hards declared outright victory and death to xbox. GAF didn't just entertain it, they beleived.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Now this is where we'll see major reversals of opinions. Starfield has major Skyrim DNA coursing through it. Unless people's opinions of Skyrim have soured over the years. I still think it's fun. Starfield is fun.
Starfield has little Skyrim DNA in it. it has far more Fallout 5 DNA in it.

Tragically, it leaves out the best parts of Fallout 5 and Skyrim (exploration) and leaves you with a bland and mid-tier game.

Last edited:
As someone that has both PS5 and XSX, Starfield is one game you can skip and live without. If I was a PS fan, Starfield is such a mediocre game not worthy of promoting anymore. Its a dud through and through. Cyberpunk 2077 feels like its 3 generations ahead in every aspect.

dorkimoe

unless its 60fps and 90% less load times its not worth it.

Im telling you its a loading simulator thats it, you load for literally every interaction

Pelta88

Umm...

Leaving the console space was being deliberated internally at Microsoft. Revealed in the court case with the FTC and to regulators across the globe. 2027 being the critical date.

Last edited:
Umm...

Leaving the console space was being deliberated internally at Microsoft. Revealed in the court case with the FTC and to regulators across the globe. 2027 being the critical date.

I don't see why that's Gafs fault. It's more like Microsoft were the ones that said it and not this community. If they didn't say anything then you could say it's just a bunch of rumors by fanboys.

Topher

Gold Member
unless its 60fps and 90% less load times its not worth it.

Im telling you its a loading simulator thats it, you load for literally every interaction

Nah, I don't think so. The loading happens too often, certainly, due to the old ass engine, but primarily when entering/exiting buldings and such. The load time is extremely short. Not saying that isn't a valid criticism, but it is being overstated. If I'm going to point to negatives of Starfield then I'd point to the vast empty planets with no vehicles available to travel as the main gripe. Poor space exploration would be another. Load times are just a minor annoyance at best, imo.

dorkimoe

Nah, I don't think so. The loading happens too often, certainly, due to the old ass engine, but primarily when entering/exiting buldings and such. The load time is extremely short. Not saying that isn't a valid criticism, but it is being overstated. If I'm going to point to negatives of Starfield then I'd point to the vast empty planets with no vehicles available to travel as the main gripe. Poor space exploration would be another. Load times are just a minor annoyance at best, imo.
Its definitely not overstated. Here is my experience, say you have a quest in the city. Load to walk into that city, load to walk into the building the person is in, fast travel back to your ship (load), LOAD TO GET INTO THE SHIP, load to get to the next planet, load to get into the building the quest is in. Its absolutely unforgivable and im getting mad just thinking about how much loading there is. But yeah the empty planets with no vehicles and literally just open space is another one. Its an incomplete game, at this point its BARELY fallout 3

DJ12

Hypocracy zone? I wasn't even part of the implosion and massive overreaction.
Only because you were banned.

But your original comment is hyperbole like most of your other stuff. I think you read a few people joking and them equated that to being the feeling across the forum.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Agreed. I would have easily put up with all the outdated quirks of Starfield IF exploration and wandering off the beaten path had been the focus. I have long said that the thing that made Skyrim/Fallout fun was wandering off the beaten path, exploring a cave and ending up in a full blown quest line. Instead you got landing on randomly generated planets with generic encounters. Bethesda totally missed what made their games fun. Sadly, no amount of modding can fix that.

For the DLC, Bethesda's best bet would be to set the quest on a small fully fleshed out planet with minimal travel. THat rewards exploration.

Pelta88

I don't see why that's Gafs fault. It's more like Microsoft were the ones that said it and not this community. If they didn't say anything then you could say it's just a bunch of rumors by fanboys.

Exactly. It's not idle talk or speculation. It's Microsoft's internal deliberations. GP had until 2027, they were planning to pull the plug after that.

DJ12

Your joking right? People were heading for the hills, crying bloody murder, and selling xboxes. Sony die hards declared outright victory and death to xbox. GAF didn't just entertain it, they beleived.
Dont know what your talking about, Sony declared outright victory several years ago.

The only people 'selling' their xboxes are the twitter idiots and invested fanboys extremely butthurt by the 'betrayal'.

Topher

Gold Member
Its definitely not overstated. Here is my experience, say you have a quest in the city. Load to walk into that city, load to walk into the building the person is in, fast travel back to your ship (load), LOAD TO GET INTO THE SHIP, load to get to the next planet, load to get into the building the quest is in. Its absolutely unforgivable and im getting mad just thinking about how much loading there is. But yeah the empty planets with no vehicles and literally just open space is another one. Its an incomplete game, at this point its BARELY fallout 3

I would agree with you if the wait times for all those loads were significant, but they just are not. Again, valid criticism, but I maintain it is a minor annoyance at best. You disagree and that's fine too.

jm89

That was hilarious, GAF was in full GameFAQS mode for awhile predicting the literal end of Xbox. I guess now we’ll just get a repeat every now and again when some “insider” predicts a game or two coming to other consoles. As I have always said to the doomsday crew:

Head In The Clouds Dreaming GIF by kimburgerly
The journey to the end is taken 1 step at time.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Only because you were banned.

But your original comment is hyperbole like most of your other stuff. I think you read a few people joking and them equated that to being the feeling across the forum.

Had nothing to do with being banned, it was actually kind of interesting to watch it all unfold. The huge amounts of bias, the panic, the overreactions. I don't know what to say to you guys if you really think nobody blew it out of proportion, I think you need to re-read everything that went down.
It was epic, really. It was not a "a few people joking". But if you can't see the trees through the forest, not much I can do.

Had nothing to do with being banned, it was actually kind of interesting to watch it all unfold. The huge amounts of bias, the panic, the overreactions. I don't know what to say to you guys if you really think nobody blew it out of proportion, I think you need to re-read everything that went down.
It was epic, really. It was not a "a few people joking". But if you can't see the trees through the forest, not much I can do.
mEI70uo.jpg

Ansphn

The real question is if they will utilize the PS5 SSD to remove thr load screens? If not, forget it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Umm...

Yes, but that surfaced during the FTC trial - well before these rumors. Completely different instances.

TheDuck was saying that GAF entertained false rumors that MS was leaving the console business (when they announced Hi-Fi Rush), but that was never such a rumor.

Yes, but that surfaced during the FTC trial - well before these rumors. Completely different instances.

TheDuck was saying that GAF entertained false rumors that MS was leaving the console business (when they announced Hi-Fi Rush), but that was never such a rumor.

A rumor that states that Microsoft would leave the console market immediately?

I don't remember that being said to be honest. Just the rumors that Microsoft would be making big changes due to the way their system is performing. And those did come true.

jm89

The real question is if they will utilize the PS5 SSD to remove thr load screens? If not, forget it.
I'll be surprised. Not like the Xbox series SSD is a slouch and couldn't cut down load times.

It's probably more then just loading assets from storage slowing it down. Or maybe the engine is shit and that is the problem.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A rumor that states that Microsoft would leave the console market immediately? I don't remember that being said to be honest.
Exactly. Because there was no such rumor.
Just the rumors that Microsoft would be making big changes due to the way their system is performing. And those did come true.
Yep. The rumors were that Xbox will be bringing its first-party exclusive games to PS5 and Switch. And that rumor did turn out to be true.

Everything else was (very valid) speculation, i.e., what would be the end-result of this new direction. If history and common sense are anything to go by, the Xbox console will soon cease to exist because of this decision, leaving only PlayStation and Nintendo in the console market.

THE DUCK

Exactly. Because there was no such rumor.

Yep. The rumors were that Xbox will be bringing its first-party exclusive games to PS5 and Switch. And that rumor did turn out to be true.

Everything else was (very valid) speculation, i.e., what would be the end-result of this new direction. If history and common sense are anything to go by, the Xbox console will soon cease to exist because of this decision, leaving only PlayStation and Nintendo in the console market.

Well see it's exactly this kinds of talk that propegated the forums. MS just spent Billions on the xbox brand, has always had multiplatform games like Minecraft, etc, but your take away from 4 lesser known or older games being released multiplatform is that the Xbox console will cease to exist?
History and common sense? The history is MS has been commited to the console space for 22+ years and if anything have been spending more money to break into it, not less. I don't get how you come to this conclusion based on history, history of who?

Topher

Gold Member
Well see it's exactly this kinds of talk that propegated the forums. MS just spent Billions on the xbox brand, has always had multiplatform games like Minecraft, etc, but your take away from 4 lesser known or older games being released multiplatform is that the Xbox console will cease to exist?
History and common sense? The history is MS has been commited to the console space for 22+ years and if anything have been spending more money to break into it, not less. I don't get how you come to this conclusion based on history, history of who?

I did not and still don't agree with the speculation that Xbox will cease to exist based on any rumor we've heard. Plenty of us discussing the rumors said as much. Yes, plenty of folks speculated that the end of Xbox consoles would be the end result of all this as well. Fact of the matter is that were a hell of a lot of nuance in the discussions from folks on this forum. That's why I find all these "GAF said" takes to be incredibly silly.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I'll be surprised. Not like the Xbox series SSD is a slouch and couldn't cut down load times.

It's probably more then just loading assets from storage slowing it down. Or maybe the engine is shit and that is the problem.
Then i wont be touching the game until they fix it. Load screens like this in 2024 is just absurd.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Exactly. It's not idle talk or speculation. It's Microsoft's internal deliberations. GP had until 2027, they were planning to pull the plug after that.
That date has likely been moved up quite a bit. They have had no growth and aren't remotely close to getting near their goals.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1. They spent billions on the Xbox brand, which I'm not speculating will go away. My speculation is only about the console itself.
2. History > Sega. We know what happens when a console manufacturer puts its first-party exclusive games on other consoles.
3. Minecraft and Sea of Thieves / Hi-Fi Rush / Pentiment / Grounded / As Dusk Falls are not the same. It's disingneous to pretend that these 5 games are the same as Minecraft and no big deal.

The conclusion is fairly simple.

If/when more Xbox games to PlayStation and Nintendo, Xbox's fast-shrinking market share will decrease even further and faster. More people will buy PS and Nintendo over Xbox. It'll reach a point where it'll be financially unviable for them to continue to console: research, development, production, marketing, etc. The same situation as Dreamcast.

But all that's besides the point, as that is speculation.

To your point, there were never any rumors like this. And people are free to speculate.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

They are trying to wish it into existence. They don't even care about Starfield as a game. They just want to be proven right that Microsoft needs Playstation owner's money to recoup the investment made to produce big budget titles. Hasn't proven true yet and they're trying to use Hi Rush and Pentiment as some "Slippery Slope Theory" because they are desperate.

Top Bottom