• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Alex_CWB, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Alex_CWB, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shadowrun Returns -- MB-28AA57273C0CF77D - Taken by MaxiLive. 4 entrants total.

t1477789672z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Downloaded REmake, RE0, DooT and Oxenfree, actually looking forward to them too.

Will just play wow as usual instead ;_;

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Oxenfree -- MB-71F25BB4D173A8C9 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 54 entrants total.

t1477833948z1.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
This site is very reliable when it comes to Steam games.

But really, there's also Nuuvem if you're southamerican and Green Man Gaming for the rest of the world.

How do folks feel about HRK? I get the impression they buy keys/bundles on sale and then re-sell them at a slightly higher price. Or for newer games, are doing the cheap-ROW-key-from-regional-retailers dance.

I haven't bought anything from them but it seems like they might be an okay way to get games that were in bundles you missed.

I have mixed feelings since I suspect they're not a great way to see that devs get your dollars.

How do folks feel about HRK? I get the impression they buy keys/bundles on sale and then re-sell them at a slightly higher price. Or for newer games, are doing the cheap-ROW-key-from-regional-retailers dance.

I haven't bought anything from them but it seems like they might be an okay way to get games that were in bundles you missed.

I have mixed feelings since I suspect they're not a great way to see that devs get your dollars.

HRK is part of the G2A network, so I'd stay away from them.

Is there a rule of thumb about games or types of games that don't really benefit much from an SSD? I'm running low on space on both my SSD's and need to clear out some space ASAP.

I'd say that open world games are the ones that would benefit most from an SSD since they have to stream stuff, etc. Dunno if other types of games get a big improvement.

Is there a rule of thumb about games or types of games that don't really benefit much from an SSD? I'm running low on space on both my SSD's and need to clear out some space ASAP.

HRK is part of the G2A network, so I'd stay away from them.

I'd say that open world games are the ones that would benefit most from an SSD since they have to stream stuff, etc. Dunno if other types of games get a big improvement.

Yeah that's what I thought, the thing is most of the games on my SSD's happen to be open world games lol. Maybe Civ VI and Batman: TellTale can go...

Now that I'm off the digital crack that Spelunky is, I got around focusing on Dark Souls III DLC, Ashes of Ariandel. Not a specific issue with Dark Souls III but I noticed again how I dislike not playing all content at once. Having weeks or months of not playing the game and then coming back for DLC is not as enjoyable as playing the whole experience at once.

With that out of the way, I enjoyed Ariandel quite a bit. It feels very different than the last Souls DLC which I played, the ones for Dark Souls II. Here Ariandel feels more like a mini-world on its own rather than a single-themed area which has its pros and cons. For one you never get bored. Landscape and atmosphere change quickly but this also means that each sub-area is over much sooner. It happened to jive well with me and I enjoyed the variation but I can see this becoming a matter of dislike for others.
Just as it was in the base game the trend of "inspiration" of the Souls series continues. Painted World of Ariamis, Great Hollow, Smouldering Lake, Ivory King and others. If you felt unexcited about the base game being too much about Dark Souls nostalgia, this new piece won't be thrilling you I'd wager. In terms of boss-fights it's also rather anemic with only two but rather one outstanding. The other is just a bland rehash basically, even further dragged down by almost zero lore or background to it. What's it place in the world, what's it motivation? It should have been fleshed out much more. The regular enemies on the other side were a joy. Expectedly hard-hitting but much more enjoyable to fight than almost any enemy I've encountered in the DSII DLCs. Coupled with great, great vistas to enjoy and battle in, exploring the Ariandel was very enjoyable.

The highlight was the major boss which I feel mixed the best parts of other boss encounters while containing interesting characters. Wish there would have been just that extra bit of lore and world-building. In terms of lore it does have ties to other Souls games but it left me curious how the timelines in the franchise are. The painter is obviously talking about doing the famous painting guarding the world of Priscilla, so that would mean the world of Ariandel is taking part prior to the events of the first Dark Souls but Friede is talking to the player about Londor which is clearly set a long, long time after Dark Souls I.
Either way, it's a solid and worthwhile addition to the game which folks who enjoyed will continue enjoying and folks who criticized won't change their feelings I think. I liked it thoroughly.

illusionary

Is there a place where I can buy steam keys/codes from? I want to buy a few of a certain game and give them out to friends.

This site is very reliable when it comes to Steam games.

But really, there's also Nuuvem if you're southamerican and Green Man Gaming for the rest of the world.

And the Humble Store, of course: https://www.humblebundle.com/store
Indie Gala can be good at times, too: https://www.indiegala.com/

You bought 126 games during the Halloween sale? Lol

Have to admit, that was my immediate reaction too - that's an impressive purchase rate!
Edit: yeah, bundles can certainly have that effect!

Tall4Life

I don't have that many games, but its gotten to the point where I'm looking at the Halloween sale list and most of the games I already own or I don't really want. Cheap bundles have really contributed to that

Jimrpg

I don't have that many games, but its gotten to the point where I'm looking at the Halloween sale list and most of the games I already own or I don't really want. Cheap bundles have really contributed to that

I am finding it difficult to play thru the 180 games I own on Steam, let alone my other consoles. Just the amount of time I have I guess as a father and working full time. I mean I just got all the Skyrim DLC so I could see myself playing that for at least six months if I really want to get stuck into it, like I did with The Witcher 3.

I also have about 230 games on my wishlist, but really the only ones I want are my top 10, everything else can wait until I finish more of my Steam library.

Tall4Life

I am finding it difficult to play thru the 180 games I own on Steam, let alone my other consoles. Just the amount of time I have I guess as a father and working full time. I mean I just got all the Skyrim DLC so I could see myself playing that for at least six months if I really want to get stuck into it, like I did with The Witcher 3.

I also have about 230 games on my wishlist, but really the only ones I want are my top 10, everything else can wait until I finish more of my Steam library.

Ha, yeah, that too. I'm deep into college right now, and my program basically means that I have little time for video games as it is. I think I've bought one Steam game in the past year. My library is vast enough to last me as I've never played most of it though, lol

mp1990

Banned
Never thought that, of all Final Fantasy games, FFX would hook me up in the franchise. I had a hard time getting used to the weird ass animations and the out of sync mouths (that I found out that were already an issue in the original version, thought it was a problem with the HD version), but a few hours into it I got really into the story and the relationship between the characters, and already clocked 24 into the game. Also, as straightforward as the combat system is, the sphere grid is pretty awesome and the boss fights are a very nice change of pace, actually requiring for you to think what to do. This game even got me interested in FFXV, which I thought to be an impossible feat, so yeah I'm liking it quite a lot lol.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck blitzball

Jawmuncher

Never thought that, of all Final Fantasy games, FFX would hook me up in the franchise. I had a hard time getting used to the weird ass animations and the out of sync mouths (that I found out that were already an issue in the original version, thought it was a problem with the HD version), but a few hours into it I got really into the story and the relationship between the characters, and already clocked 24 into the game. Also, as straightforward as the combat system is, the sphere grid is pretty awesome and the boss fights are a very nice change of pace, actually requiring for you to think what to do. This game even got me interested in FFXV, which I thought to be an impossible feat, so yeah I'm liking it quite a lot lol.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck blitzball

I'm glad that so long as you don't want 100% blitzball is optional for the most part.

I was thinking about buying IMSCARED, but I would probably never play it if I did it.

It's like the developer got into my head and made a game based on all my phobias.

Drayco21

How often does Vampire: The Masquerade go on sale? I love me some RPGs, and the way people talk about this one make it seem like something I should check out, but my backlog is big enough that I wouldn't be getting to it anytime soon, and $5 isn't a mindblowing price or anything.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
How often does Vampire: The Masquerade go on sale? I love me some RPGs, and the way people talk about this one make it seem like something I should check out, but my backlog is big enough that I wouldn't be getting to it anytime soon, and $5 isn't a mindblowing price or anything.

This often

A few times a year, but get it anyway and enjoy one of the best RPG ever.

Eila

It's not going to go cheaper. It's Activision.

Tall4Life

5 is the most its ever dropped on Steam, and it doesnt go on terribly often. I'd say get it, its a great game with a ton of interesting and complex facets to it.

Jolly Rover's a rather funny and decent Pirate themed cartoony PnC game.

Although the 2nd island has some awkward story stuff about it.

Good voice acting though. It's no Monkey Island but it's fine for what it is.

Can confirm. This was one of the first games I got on Steam (it was in a bundle with Recettear, I believe,) so there are probably more positive emotions attached to it since Steam was this new shiny thing...but yeah, it was cute, pretty funny, recommended for point-and-click fans. One of the best parts is how the quest in the top bar constantly changes, especially during cutscenes. Sometimes it's helpful in getting you to your next goal, but usually it's just for humour. Still, you won't go wrong giving this one a play.

Enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-2DFAF07C70A68673 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Titan souls -- MB-2B57D5920CF11724 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 5 entrants total.
Lumino city -- MB-2682C2C76F36FA05 - Taken by Jadax. 1 entrants total.
Grim Fandango remastered -- MB-DE9FA85F18BD94B5 - Taken by Drayco21. 2 entrants total.

t1477804795z1.png

Jadax

Vampires is a fine game, but imo people overstate the awesomeness.

I definitely loved it when I played it a few years ago. But when I tried to play it again earlier this year I hated it - the graphics are just too dated for me, it ruined the experience for me.

Pixieking

Banned

Now that I'm off the digital crack that Spelunky is, I got around focusing on Dark Souls III DLC, Ashes of Ariandel.

[...]

Either way, it's a solid and worthwhile addition to the game which folks who enjoyed will continue enjoying and folks who criticized won't change their feelings I think. I liked it thoroughly.

Yeah, I spent a good 4 or 5 hours in it over the past couple of nights, and I think it's really good. Reminded me of Archdragon Peak, both in terms of length, and, as you say, it feels like it's a mini-world. I see it's got a "Mixed" score on the Steam page, with complaints of a short-length, and whilst that's true, I think it's only vaguely relevant if someone's buying the DLC at full-price. At even 33% off it'd be worth the money, and anyone who has already bought the Season Pass (or has the Deluxe Version with it included) should play it. The only reason to maybe pass on it straight away is to wait for the second and final DLC (apparently sometime in the first half of next year), and play them together.

Jadax

Some stuff.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Jadax:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jadax, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-D35D6C2C16D15CD0 - Taken by Gez. 2 entrants total.
Monaco -- MB-9C74320B6C053065 - Taken by Drayco21. 1 entrants total.

t1477807584z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom