• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

cj_iwakura

Finally finished the true ending of the first game. To put it bluntly, looking back at the whole experience blows my mind, it's incredible.
I really need to find the money for 0 before the sale ends.

A question: going by the description in the OT,
is 0's timeline based on the true ending, with the difference that he doesn't receive the video from the future and lives on tormented by his first failed attempt at saving Kurisu?
Yes.

Fowler

Just got the true end. I enjoyed the game a lot, major ups and downs, but the ups were fantastic. Kiryu's development was very enjoyable, especially in Twin Automata.

A few gripes...
Yeah, the true end is a little anti-climatic, but the setup was nice. Is the adventures of Future Okabe supposed to be yet ANOTHER sequel hook?

If you're referring to Future Okabe going back in time to find Mayuri, I think that's a link to the part of the original game/anime where Okabe has a dream where he and Mayuri speak to each other 70 million years in the past. Forgive me, it's been long enough that I forget exactly how it works in the game, but in the anime it's the dream sequence that opens episode 12. It felt less literal and more symbolic at the time... but after S;G 0, many think that sequence is Future Okabe finding Future Mayuri again. If true, it'd be less of a sequel hook and more about closing off an unresolved thread from the first game. (But who knows what they might choose to do, and what happens in between Future Okabe leaving in S;G 0 and the events of that "dream sequence" in S;G.)

Yeah, the true end is a little anti-climatic, but the setup was nice. Is the adventures of Future Okabe supposed to be yet ANOTHER sequel hook?

The way I see it, it doesn't even matter whether his final mission succeeds, because Mayuri already succeeded with her mission (and just flubbed the return trip) and 2025 Okabe already succeeded with his own mission (the video d-mail). At this point, the fate of the worldline is in the hands of 2010 Okabe. It feels like 2025 Okabe is just giving a last hurrah instead of resigning himself to his fated death.

As far as sequel hooking, I can't see this plot thread getting anything more than a drama CD or manga, if even that.

Also, what happened to the thread of Yuki being the motorcycle girl in the one path? Just felt really wasted.

That was a red herring, it was actually Judy in that path. It does feel like they just dropped that thread though, no explanation at all why Yuki was conveniently a suspect.

BTA

About to get the true ending; I'll post my thoughts after I guess.

Right now? I'm just pissed at my past self.
At one point the game crashed (so this is partially its fault too...) after I'd done the first branching point and hadn't saved, but when I reloaded, I made the wrong choice (I knew which side had the true end on it and wanted to avoid that till later). This created a quick save before I reloaded and went down the path I wanted to.

After going down all the stuff on the other branch (and therefore unlocking the true ending), I loaded from that quick save instead of the branching point.

So I then did everything else assuming the D-RINE would happen during Mayuri's ending, leading right into the True Ending. I'd tried not to spoil myself so I'd only glanced at walkthroughs, so I didn't know that wasn't purely the only condition.

Which... meant I never received the D-RINE. If I'd just used the quick save minutes before it, I wouldn't have to speed through that entire side of the flowchart right now. So now I'm just waiting for that to happen. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

EDIT:

So, scattered thoughts having finished, since I tweeted as I played anyway:

I loved it overall. It's not perfect nor is it a super significant addition to the original's story, but it did a great job of bringing back the old characters I enjoyed (and developing them more in the process) while still building a new story.
In particularly, I was really happy to see stuff like Luka being left out a lot being addressed, to see Moeka get focused on again, and to see them really push Daru as being much more than a joke character (particularly as I know he's going to be the protagonist of DaSH, which seems to be the culmination of the entire series) through his increased competence and relationship with Suzuha. Most significantly, the switch to multiple POVs was a great call because Suzuha and Maho were both great, and on that note, I'm really pleasantly surprised by how well Maho fit in with the rest of the cast.

Storyline-wise, messing with AI this time around was really cool and was executed fairly well especially when it came to how "Kurisu" affected Okabe, even if I do think it sorta fell to the wayside on the True end side of the flowchart? I sincerely admire the effort made into conveying an emotional story through frequent references to the movie Amadeus. Like, it's a weird as hell choice but they really went for it and I felt for Maho. Also, I did not expect them to treat Okabe's trauma nearly so seriously and I very much appreciate that they did.

I'd glanced at flowcharts so I vaguely knew the ending structure but let things happen as they did beyond making sure the initial choice took me away from the final ending, so I played Promised->Twin->Recursive->Gehenna->Vega->Milky-way. I knew the last ending would be abrupt from impressions, so I wasn't as surprised by that as I could have been. It's... a weird choice, I guess, so I guess I just wish they had reshown part of the original's ending in a cool way to highlight the success? I dunno.

Fowler

I loved it overall. It's not perfect nor is it a super significant addition to the original's story, but it did a great job of bringing back the old characters I enjoyed (and developing them more in the process) while still building a new story.

I feel fairly similarly to you. I liked it a lot, but tbh I feel like it's more a collection of really good and fun ideas that doesn't quite add up to a cohesive whole. The scattered nature of the routes definitely contributes to that, but in general it doesn't quite come together like the original does.

Still, as a fan of the original, it's essential IMO; loose ends get tied up, there's more character development, and as I said there are some really good ideas and concepts in there that make it a great experience.

BTA

So while poking around on Wikipedia yesterday I realized there were brief summaries of some of the Drama CDs, and saw something that surprised me.

I already knew that 0's main routes seem to come from the Beta Drama CD being adapted into light novels and then those were adapted into the game. Interestingly, that Drama CD apparently explicitly shows Mayuri and Suzuha actually arriving in the past and telling past Mayuri to encourage Okabe (which leads to her slapping him, just as future Mayuri said in the game). I'm really surprised that scene didn't show up in the game; I wonder if it was left out of the light novels as well and that's why...? I guess I should look to see if anyone's written about the differences between them,

Sorry for being a pain in the ass lol, but with that in mind, how much screen time does
Kurisu
get? Considering the nature of the plot obviously anything is possible but I just want to make sure that my favorite character gets enough screen time considering the circumstances at the start of the story. Thanks.

cj_iwakura

Sorry for being a pain in the ass lol, but with that in mind, how much screen time does
Kurisu
get? Considering the nature of the plot obviously anything is possible but I just want to make sure that my favorite character gets enough screen time considering the circumstances at the start of the story. Thanks.

Um... depends on if you mean 'her' or Amadeus. The former only gets a few minutes, the latter has a huge involvement.

hank_tree

So while poking around on Wikipedia yesterday I realized there were brief summaries of some of the Drama CDs, and saw something that surprised me.

I already knew that 0's main routes seem to come from the Beta Drama CD being adapted into light novels and then those were adapted into the game. Interestingly, that Drama CD apparently explicitly shows Mayuri and Suzuha actually arriving in the past and telling past Mayuri to encourage Okabe (which leads to her slapping him, just as future Mayuri said in the game). I'm really surprised that scene didn't show up in the game; I wonder if it was left out of the light novels as well and that's why...? I guess I should look to see if anyone's written about the differences between them,

Maybe they had the good sense to not put that in the game cos it's such a terrible idea. They already did enough damage.

Maybe they had the good sense to not put that in the game cos it's such a terrible idea. They already did enough damage.

Having allusions to it and not actually showing might arguably be worse. Beta Drama CD is great, man. And it came out in 2010, before even the anime happened. Maybe it'll show up in Steins;Gate Elite.

And for what it's worth, the main route of Zero was adapted from the Epigraph light novel trilogy, which indeed doesn't include the events of the drama CD.

Jimrpg

To those who've finished the game -

I just got my fourth ending so I have the Mayuri ending and true ending to go. I'm using a non-spoiler walkthrough but there doesn't seem to be any instructions to get the true ending? Do I have to do anything else besides get the Mayuri ending and then start the game at Closed Epigraph again and then the game will just sort itself out?

cj_iwakura

To those who've finished the game -

I just got my fourth ending so I have the Mayuri ending and true ending to go. I'm using a non-spoiler walkthrough but there doesn't seem to be any instructions to get the true ending? Do I have to do anything else besides get the Mayuri ending and then start the game at Closed Epigraph again and then the game will just sort itself out?
There's a new text you have to receive. Then just proceed to Vega and Altair.

Although I finished the game since November, I have to say now that
the anime adaptation of Zero will have a harder time of successfully delivering the plot as the first one did.
That's because of the endings.
On the one hand in SG1 the alt-endings were irrelevant of the main plot and not connected to each other, while on the other in SG Zero all the different endings actually connect to each other and you need to see all of them in order to have the whole picture and understand everything.
That can be tricky in a series where the flow of the story goes in one direction whereas in the game you more or less choose the flow.
IN SG1 it was easy for them they just followed the true until the end.Well they can't do it again for Zero.

I hope that they will somehow manage to do , because the first season of SG was really good, so I have faith that they will deliver despite the difficulties.

What are your thoughts?

cj_iwakura

Although I finished the game since November, I have to say now that
the anime adaptation of Zero will have a harder time of successfully delivering the plot as the first one did.
That's because of the endings.
On the one hand in SG1 the alt-endings were irrelevant of the main plot and not connected to each other, while on the other in SG Zero all the different endings actually connect to each other and you need to see all of them in order to have the whole picture and understand everything.
That can be tricky in a series where the flow of the story goes in one direction whereas in the game you more or less choose the flow.
IN SG1 it was easy for them they just followed the true until the end.Well they can't do it again for Zero.

I hope that they will somehow manage to do , because the first season of SG was really good, so I have faith that they will deliver despite the difficulties.

What are your thoughts?
If I were directing an anime adaptation, I'd use different character perspectives. Follow Okabe for one route, Maho for another, etc.

Jimrpg

There's a new text you have to receive. Then just proceed to Vega and Altair.

Actually after the credits from Vega and Altair it went straight to the Milky Way chapter, so maybe I got it earlier?

That true end.
It's a little short.

If I were directing an anime adaptation, I'd use different character perspectives. Follow Okabe for one route, Maho for another, etc.

I think they will just pick scenes that make it a cohesive story. I don't think they will have too big of a problem. The first Steins;Gate didn't do any of the alternative endings.

BTA

In theory, the anime would just have to show both endings tied to the the true ending of the game. But... some of my favorite parts were in other endings, so that's unfortunate.

In any case, they've reannounced the anime and there's a brief trailer.

Whole game spoilers:
The trailer uh. The trailer shows the slap? Is this them taunting fans, or... Huh.

AwShucks

Started last night finally. The emotions man. It's been like 6 months since I finished the original. Only two hours in so far.

Oemenia

Banned
Hey guys sorry if this has been asked already and many times but does the European copy of the game come with the first game?

I do have it already on PS3 but you know next-gen and all.

Just finished it about an hour ago.

So many conflicting feelings, but the general sentiment is... disappointment. Don't get me wrong, so many great moments in this game - including my all-time emotional high of
returning to the alpha worldline with a Kurisu who can tell something is wrong
, but overall it was just a messy game imo.

For starters, the routes progression just confused me. While in the original it made sense as you went chapter by chapter undoing everyone's d-mails, in this game is just seems to flit from idea to idea without much logic to it. Maybe I just didn't think about it enough but aside from stuff like
sending the d-rine opening the true ending route
I genuinely just felt the endings were just all over the place.

Character-wise, I really liked Maho and felt she added a lot to the story; and I particularly liked the progression of other characters from the previous games (although Faris and Luka still didn't get enough screentime). Meanwhile, I just couldn't stand Kagari. She felt like a 2D character that was just a collection of ideas without any true personality of her own. Plus, it honestly confused me how
in one worldline she's brainwashed and a killer with plastic surgery to look like Yuki; then in the next she's going to have Kurisu's memories downloaded into her etc.
. I remember there being some consistency in the previous game like Moeka across every worldline, but not here.

Also the true ending did nothing for me. Honestly, I lost track of
why it was Mayuri and Suzu needed to go back in time in the first place. To... slap Okabe?
I thought he had already awakended Kyoma before that point anyway?

Still, I did enjoy the journey and seeing these characters. I need some more time to take it in, and I'm happy the game exists as it had plenty of fantastic moments, but I definitely feel it could have been better.

Top Bottom