• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

That would be super goofy, esp. given that they have an updated version of C;H on Vita they could release first.
They probably can't be bothered to make more ports of it. Chaos;Child is new and shiny and on Vita, PS4, and PC (not to mention Xbox One but honestly what are the chances of that?)
Edit: Recently on iOS too

Goofy yes, but that's what I've come to expect from 5pb at this point. Notice how they released the first Corpse Party and Blood Drive in English on iOS, but skipped over Book of Shadows even though it has a Japanese version (and an existing English translation!)

Story time:
Back before the Steins;Gate 0 dealio, the people who translated Steins;Gate for JAST tried to get in with PQube to offer their services for other titles like Chaos;Head. But it seems negotiations with 5pb fell through, and 5pb hired a translator independently from PQube for S;G 0. The aforementioned S;G translators went on to translate Valkyrie Drive for PQube, still disappointed they could no longer work on the Science Adventure series...

BKK

As far as I know, Chaos;Head is the only other translated SciAdv title right now. While very different from S;G, it's still pretty enjoyable, especially knowing that it takes place in the same world. There's only a fan translation unfortunately, but if you make sure to install the most recent patch (a new one released just a few weeks ago), it shouldn't be too buggy. Apparently the anime adaptation is awful, so either play the VN or don't bother with it.

There have also been rumours of PQube releasing Chaos;Child (the follow-up to C;H) this year, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram should be getting a fan translation on PC real soon, possibly Android too.

Isn't Dual on PS4? If not then I guess that's a moderate obstacle, although trying to sell the sequel without its predecessor is still stupid as balls.

It's Vita-only. Just like Robotics;Notes Elite. Which makes me skeptical that we'll be getting either of those unless 5pb thinks it's worth making PS4 or PC ports of them.

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram should be getting a fan translation on PC real soon, possibly Android too.

Looking at those Twitter posts I don't have much faith in the translation quality. Especially considering that it's allegedly being translated from a Chinese fan translation.

BKK

It's Vita-only. Just like Robotics;Notes Elite. Which makes me skeptical that we'll be getting either of those unless 5pb thinks it's worth making PS4 or PC ports of them.

Looking at those Twitter posts I don't have much faith in the translation quality. Especially considering that it's allegedly being translated from a Chinese fan translation.

He confirmed it's from the Chinese translation, but beggars can't be choosers! (I think there's a translation from Japanese on Youtube for those who just want to see the "story"). I've put off watching it in order to "play" it, but it's not as if SG0 translation was very professional, and it's unlikely that anyone will officially translate Phenogram into English.

He confirmed it's from the Chinese translation, but beggars can't be choosers! (I think there's a translation from Japanese on Youtube for those who just want to see the "story"). I've put off watching it in order to "play" it, but it's not as if SG0 translation was very professional, and it's unlikely that anyone will officially translate Phenogram into English.

The Youtube translation is also quite "unprofessional", and I in fact can choose to avoid both of these translations.

I disagree that the S;G 0 translation was unprofessional. Sure, there were some typos here and there, and some stylistic choices that were different from the first VN, but nothing that greatly detracted from the experience.

Here on the other hand you have someone posting screenshots meant to promote the translation, half of which have obvious errors, and also using phrases like "should of" in his tweets, so I'm not getting anywhere near that.

BKK

Fair enough, the issue with SG0 was more that it wasn't proof read well, but surely that's the same as should of / should've (and this is just his first run through, normally those issues get picked up before final release, although no guarantee that he will, either way, I'm sure that someone will patch any issues after release). Anyway, not really an issue for me, but acknowledge that it might be an issue for others. I appreciate someone putting the effort into translating it for free, even if it isn't to the standards that we would expect of a retail release, which it doesn't look like we have the option of. So yes, hopefully you'll soon be able to choose not to play this in a language which wouldn't be available otherwise.

Zero is $25.00 right now on Amazon (vita version). I want to bite, but mixed impressions and talk of poor localization frighten me. Should I get it if I'm not going in expecting anything more than a meaningful addition to the story (i.e I dont expect it to match the original Steins Gate which I loved)?

Shizuka

Zero is $25.00 right now on Amazon (vita version). I want to bite, but mixed impressions and talk of poor localization frighten me. Should I get it if I'm not going in expecting anything more than a meaningful addition to the story (i.e I dont expect it to match the original Steins Gate which I loved)?

Yes. As long as you don't expect something as good as good as the first game, you're good to go.

hank_tree

There is no meaningful addition to the story in Steins Gate 0.

You wouldn't say it cheapened the original story/universe would you?

Man I am setting the bar low, lol.

It's a weird side step, but I loved it. More time with the characters, fascinating branching paths, and a good experience all around. Pick it up. If you liked Steins;Gate, this is more, and it's good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Steins;Gate 0 is worth playing. It's not as good as the original but there's some goodness within and the localization is decent enough. It's certainly not Wii version of Muramasa levels of bad or anything.

ChrisD

Man, (spoilers for... Early mid story; first ten minutes of the first possible bad end route)
Why's Leskinen got to be a typical bad guy? It feels so forced. Guess there could be some sort of twist here or something, but... I don't see it.

Waji

I have at least one question about something I have trouble to swallow in the game. Probably close to one the endings judging by how long it was to reach this part.

So I'm in Promised Rinascimento. And I saw some part of the future. That's when Daru and Maho ask Okabe to time leap 3000 times. But how is that even possible ?
The first few times would already be hard but... why not, since he'd have to awaken from his sleep again and again. But that part is ok. The problem comes in the period before that. He was supposed to be held by Stratfor. So that poses 2 problems.
1) How does he time leap if he's emprisoned.
2) At some point the time leap machine doesn't exist yet.
The second problem is probably not so important since they might be able to build one fast enough, blah blah...
The first one on the other hand just makes it impossible.

I didn't finish the whole game yet so am I missing something specific ?
If I do don't spoil it of course. But I don't see how it's possible.

Finally started this last night, just finished the first chapter.

Man, I've gotta say, the new art style is alright but it's not half as nice as the old one. It's quite jarring to see the flashbacks drawn in the old style.

cireza

Man, I've gotta say, the new art style is alright but it's not half as nice as the old one. It's quite jarring to see the flashbacks drawn in the old style.
Yes, it bothered me A LOT. At some moments, I was even wondering if it was the same character (for a few seconds, until my brain makes the link "old style/new style").

daveo42

Banned
Started this up today and am closing in on the first ending. Just met (end of A Stray Sheep)
Kagari Shiina after one of the most infuriating parts of any game ever. I mean, come one Okabe, she looks just like the girl in the picture. I'm also super surprised no one mentioned how much Kagari and Kurisu look alike. Glad they wrapped that up kind of quick instead of let it drag on more than a few minutes.
About lost it there for a second.

Liking all of the call backs so far. Already teared up a few times as well as had my jaw drop at a few reveals.

Well, since this thread's resurrected and all, I might as well post this dumb image edit I made today (going along with that silly OT title):
44DeCMF.png

Glad I didn't poke my head in this thread before starting the game as I have no doubt I'd be finding all sorts of issues with it! As it is I went in blind and am loving it as much as the original. Currently on third playthrough.

daveo42

Banned
Anyone else actually pick this up thanks to the Golden Week Sale? Liking it so far, but I really wish
Okabe relied on his friends a bit more. Like, hey maybe getting their help and letting them know what's going on might keep you from going through all of this shit.

The English version got patched in, but installing the patch might invalidate your save data...

I posted the true ending text here though, if you don't want to deal with that.

My PS4 copy seems to be patched (v 1.01) but I still got the untranslated text :/ Weird. But thank you for the link, that'll more than suffice.

Ah, I don't know about the PS4 version. Sucks if that never got patched.

The patch note reads something along the lines of fixes untranslated text (it has other fixes as well), so it should have fixed it.

But anyhoo...

Fully finished 0 and loved it. As with the original I found its story to be both hilarious and (due to the tension, and sometimes cruel nature of the story) *exhausting*. Preferred it to the original but that's mostly because one scene in particular, in the original, was creepy af.

daveo42

Banned
The English version got patched in, but installing the patch might invalidate your save data...

I posted the true ending text here though, if you don't want to deal with that.

Well this is disappointing to hear. I'm on the path to the final ending
X-day Protocol with D-RINE received
and I'm surprised that even after it's been out for some time it still remains untranslated on PS4.

daveo42

Banned
Finally finished it. Great story start to finish, even if I feel like the ending chapter was a bit weak. It was nice to see tho. The next to last chapter, Vega and Altair, destroyed me tho. I feel like I could curl up into a ball and just cry for a bit. Or play the original Steins;Gate. That would be about the same right?

Also can confirm that the ending is still untranslated from the original Japanese.

pbayne

Quick question

Apparently it was a known issue (though not to me lol) but i downloaded the update on my vita version because the border clipping was annoying me and i got my file corrupted, all save data lost.

I was only about 5 hours in so im not too bothered since im sure i can get back there in about 20 minutes by skipping through shit but can anyone confirm that this problem doesn't happen again.

cj_iwakura

I finished the two endings on the left branch, and am working on the third.

Really baffled about the motorcycle girl thing, but I guess I'll figure it out.

Feels like the whole premise of the game is 'so, we heard you like world war 3 dystopia..."

Just cleared the game and I'm.... mixed.

It had some really good moments but the true ending was a bummer.

I thought of the Promised Renascimento ending as the "true" ending simply because, imo, that path had the most meat of the story and gave me the most emotions at the end. But I do agree, I was somewhat let down by the actual true ending.

I thought of the Promised Renascimento ending as the "true" ending simply because, imo, that path had the most meat of the story and gave me the most emotions at the end. But I do agree, I was somewhat let down by the actual true ending.

Yeah I honestly think they just did the cutoff in the wrong place. If you sequence your playthrough to do that ending last and immediately proceed into the "true" ending it works pretty well, but unlike the first game there's no payoff if you do that ending earlier then come back to do the "true" ending later.

So I'm almost done with Stein's Gate and 0 is on sale right now so I'm considering picking it up (normally would be a nobrainer at its current price but I'm broke).
I read the reviews and saw exactly what I wanted to see:

I can't think of it as a sequel. With how well it fits into the original story, complimenting it - Steins;Gate 0 feels like the missing half to the original that I didn't even know I wanted, let alone needed. Now that I've read it though, I can't think of Steins;Gate without it.

Steins;Gate 0 is the sequel I never knew I wanted. It is a perfect alternate take with various expositions for characters I know and love from Steins;Gate.

Sounds perfect.

But then going through the thread, impressions seem less glowing.
I became really fond of the characters and I think the story is fascinating so I hope I can put together the money for it before the sale ends.

black070

Is there a way to purchase the first Steins;Gate on PS4 - it apparently has been ported to it but I can't find it anywhere.

So I'm almost done with Stein's Gate and 0 is on sale right now so I'm considering picking it up (normally would be a nobrainer at its current price but I'm broke).
I read the reviews and saw exactly what I wanted to see:

Sounds perfect.

But then going through the thread, impressions seem less glowing.
I became really fond of the characters and I think the story is fascinating so I hope I can put together the money for it before the sale ends.

They kinda flubbed the true ending but it sounds like the game would be something you'd enjoy based on being fond of the characters from the first game. If you do miss out, it'll be on sale again soon, no doubt

Jimrpg

Is there a way to purchase the first Steins;Gate on PS4 - it apparently has been ported to it but I can't find it anywhere.

It's only available in Japanese I think? Either way, there's no english PS4 version. Perhaps you can try the Steam or Vita version? Vita is great.

black070

It's only available in Japanese I think? Either way, there's no english PS4 version. Perhaps you can try the Steam or Vita version? Vita is great.

Ah damn, gonna have to pick it up on Steam then - unless it simply covers everything from the anime since I've watched that already.

cj_iwakura

Just got the true end. I enjoyed the game a lot, major ups and downs, but the ups were fantastic. Kiryu's development was very enjoyable, especially in Twin Automata.

A few gripes...
Yeah, the true end is a little anti-climatic, but the setup was nice. Is the adventures of Future Okabe supposed to be yet ANOTHER sequel hook?

Funny how Moeka gets happily-ever-after in Twin Automata but is alone and forgotten in the True End Path. :/ Being Moeka is suffering.

Also, what happened to the thread of Yuki being the motorcycle girl in the one path? Just felt really wasted.

Enjoyable overall, wondering how they'll do the anime without it being a total mess.

Finally finished the true ending of the first game. To put it bluntly, looking back at the whole experience blows my mind, it's incredible.
I really need to find the money for 0 before the sale ends.

A question: going by the description in the OT,
is 0's timeline based on the true ending, with the difference that he doesn't receive the video from the future and lives on tormented by his first failed attempt at saving Kurisu?

Jimrpg

Ah damn, gonna have to pick it up on Steam then - unless it simply covers everything from the anime since I've watched that already.

The extra endings are pretty good and explore other time travel and story concepts not in the true ending. The anime takes just 8 hours while the VN takes about 25, so there's a lot more detail in the VN. If you like the anime it's worth it to play the VN.

I'm only 8 hours into 0, but I think the first S;G is the better game anyway.

Top Bottom