• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

bobawesome

edit: Removed muscle-y Mayuri! I see she has a place in this thread, after all.

Mayuri approved~

This really does seem like the perfect visual novel to read through during the summer, lounging in bed.

artsi

Try by searching the game directly on the Vita store, I found it like that, you're right, for some reason, only the PS3 version can be found on the webstore for the moment.

Thanks, found it now. Downloading.

Any info on this? Im really curious about this too.
There's not really explicit choice tracking per se, but there's not such a crazy web of routes as VLR, either. The number of endings is more comparable to 999. On the other hand, all choices in Steins;Gate are made through a cell phone, so if you know which messages belong to a particular route, you could just check your message history to see where you are. It's recommended to use a guide to find the true ending, unless you think you can find all the right responses yourself. The normal endings can be fairly obvious in comparison.

Prelude.

There's not really explicit choice tracking per se, but there's not such a crazy web of routes as VLR, either. The number of endings is more comparable to 999. On the other hand, all choices in Steins;Gate are made through a cell phone, so if you know which messages belong to a particular route, you could just check your message history to see where you are. It's recommended to use a guide to find the true ending, unless you think you can find all the right responses yourself. The normal endings can be fairly obvious in comparison.
Can you even go straight to the true ending on your first playthrough? IIRC you can't but I'm not sure.

Cross nothing.
If anyone does have a chance, check to make sure there isn't cross-save enabled. There are some cases where games without cross-buy have cross-save. I know FF X/X-2 HD did. I'd check myself, but my copy is a long ways off. I put that it doesn't in the OP, but I just want someone to verify that I was right (since I didn't see it listed in the game's features anywhere).

I just watched Burdened Domain of Deja Vu again. God that movie is so amazing. If you haven't seen it you really, really should. You should have finished the VN and gotten the True End, or watched the anime first. Preferably both.

Can you even go straight to the true ending on your first playthrough? IIRC you can't but I'm not sure.

You can but the right Phone Trigger choices are obscure enough that you really do need to use the guide.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If anyone does have a chance, check to make sure there isn't cross-save enabled. There are some cases where games without cross-buy have cross-save. I know FF X/X-2 HD did. I'd check myself, but my copy is a long ways off. I put that it doesn't in the OP, but I just want someone to verify that I was right (since I didn't see it listed in the game's features anywhere).

There is a year gap in release between the version and I doubt they'd add it in a NA release.

ramyeon

Wait, is this not out in Australia too? Can't find it on the PSN store at all.

Edit: Nevermind, had to use the app on my Vita rather than the Webstore for some reason. $62 is a bit rich for a Visual Novel for me though :/

I'm...kind of surprised to see the download size for the PS3 version is 5.5GB. This is a pure visual novel, right? What kind of content is bloating the size so much?

I'm...kind of surprised to see the download size for the PS3 version is 5.5GB. This is a pure visual novel, right? What kind of content is bloating the size so much?

1080p assets and FMVs? I'm pretty sure the opening videos and various versions of the ending credits are all prerendered, plus a few small insert videos for special effects.

1080p assets and FMVs? I'm pretty sure the opening videos and various versions of the ending credits are all prerendered, plus a few small insert videos for special effects.

Ah, I didn't know this included FMVs. Are those recycled from the anime? I guess that could explain the size, if there's quite a few and they are of a high bitrate.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ah, I didn't know this included FMVs. Are those recycled from the anime? I guess that could explain the size, if there's quite a few and they are of a high bitrate.

All the content existed before the anime so no the only thing that uses some of the animation from the anime is the PS3 version's opening.

All the content existed before the anime so no the only thing that uses some of the animation from the anime is the PS3 version's opening.

I don't think it even does that, they just had enough money to throw at putting character animation in the opening. It's not really in the anime's style.

Edit: There aren't even any facial features except for noses, haha. So they didn't throw too much money at it I guess

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't think it even does that, they just had enough money to throw at putting character animation in the opening. It's not really in the anime's style.

Yeah it looks simple enough for that to be the case as well. I went off an assumption on that since it didn't include the color texturing like the game art does still.

It's never really a priority for me in games like this as I'm more concerned with experiencing the story without searching for stuff, but out of curiosity, is there a feeling for how hard the platinum would be? (Or I guess the better question is "how time consuming / how much repeat stuff.")

It's never really a priority for me in games like this as I'm more concerned with experiencing the story without searching for stuff, but out of curiosity, is there a feeling for how hard the platinum would be? (Or I guess the better question is "how time consuming / how much repeat stuff.")

A lot of the trophies involve getting bonus content (pictures, music, stories) on your in-game phone by responding correctly to messages from other characters. The game has a pretty effective skip function (with settings to stop when you get new messages or reach text you haven't read yet), so you won't have to waste too much time going through things you've read before, plus by default the game quick-saves at each chapter. It shouldn't be too hard at all with a completion guide.

If you look at the Platinum Trophy Roadmaps around the internet (spoiler alert obviously), most of them consider it to be a fairly easy Platinum. If you double check yourself with a guide, it'll be very easy.

I said wow. My copy already arrived from Ozgameshop. Four days from the UK to Australia using their standard shipping is crazy! I even bought an expensive-ass import can of Dr Pepper to celebrate~
Dr Pepper hasn't been a thing here for about 15 years now :(

6IHtPHhh.jpg

Also there's no manual in the case. Shame.

jtan

There's no way for me to track Rice's shipping of the game. Anyone order from them before and can let me know how long I should expect to wait for it to get to the US? Thanks!

LiK

There's no way for me to track Rice's shipping of the game. Anyone order from them before and can let me know how long I should expect to wait for it to get to the US? Thanks!

It's from UK so usually around 2 weeks by standard mail.

If we're lucky, it might arrive sooner than that.

saunderez

I said wow. My copy already arrived from Ozgameshop. Four days from the UK to Australia using their standard shipping is crazy! I even bought an expensive-ass import can of Dr Pepper to celebrate~

6IHtPHhh.jpg

Aww man if you got yours today that means mine is only a day away at most.....which won't be until Tuesday :'(

Long weekend ruined....ah well will just have to finish Dark Souls 2 or get into Witcher 3 instead. Not like I don't have an unassailable backlog or anything.

Still no dispatch note from Zavvi and to make things even better the game doesn't appear to be listed on their website now.

You can still get there with a direct link but it's sold out. I hope they can fulfill the orders they got, they were listed on the official website after all.

amazon.co.uk also has only 1 Vita copy left (with more on the way) and GAME is sold out of the Vita LE as well. At least it seems to be doing well and meeting or exceeding expectations.

PS3 version is up on PSN, no Vita yet

Wat. That is ridiculously fast!

Top Bottom