• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

God Enel

azuwdgcqe3e61.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There are loads of ppl better at this than I. I just happen to study this stuff in University. I have a Bachelors in Economics, Masters in Finance and CFA.

Books to study are

1)Investment Valuation: Tools and Techniques for Determining the Value of any Asset, University Edition 3rd Edition by Aswath Damodaran
2) Dead Companies Walking - Scott Fearson
3) Predicting Market - Edward Yardini
4) Financial Statements by Thomas Ittleson
5) Penny Stocks for Dummies.
screen shotted. I will take a look for sure.

mango drank

There are loads of ppl better at this than I. I just happen to study this stuff in University. I have a Bachelors in Economics, Masters in Finance and CFA.

Books to study are

1)Investment Valuation: Tools and Techniques for Determining the Value of any Asset, University Edition 3rd Edition by Aswath Damodaran
I'm getting through Peter Lynch's two main books coming up, and I've got some of Joel Greenblatt's next on my list. In your opinion, should I skip Greenblatt and go straight to your quoted list next? Dunno if you've read both Greenblatt and Lynch and can give an opinion one way or the other on their overlap in content / philosophy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'm getting through Peter Lynch's two main books coming up, and I've got some of Joel Greenblatt's next on my list. In your opinion, should I skip Greenblatt and go straight to your quoted list next? Dunno if you've read both Greenblatt and Lynch and can give an opinion one way or the other on their overlap in content / philosophy.

You talking about the magic formula. That actually a good book too the whole little magic book series is useful.

mango drank

You talking about the magic formula. That actually a good book too the whole little magic book series is useful.
Looks like the Greenblatt books I've got queued up are The Big Secret for the Small Investor and The Little Book that (Still) Beats the Market. I was gonna check out Magic Formula, but it's older and I figured these newer ones would cover / update the same content. I know that Burry liked Magic Formula back in the day, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Final attack at the end of the day. Going to be interesting to see after market movements.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Looks like the Greenblatt books I've got queued up are The Big Secret for the Small Investor and The Little Book that (Still) Beats the Market. I was gonna check out Magic Formula, but it's older and I figured these newer ones would cover / update the same content. I know that Burry liked Magic Formula back in the day, though.

I never read the newer ones. I found more value from demodarren series. He’s got a little book of valuation too. Which is far simpler than the one i recommended

I wonder how much Uncle Elon is in on GME :unsure:

I don't know if he is. Even if he isn't, he probably just hates short sellers. For a few months I followed insider transactions really closely for a bunch of companies, because I was hoping that by doing a certain kind of analysis I would find insiders who very consistently bought or sold shares at the right time. Elon Musk routinely buys large amounts of TSLA stock, and has been accumulating it for a very long time. It was impressive and unlike anything I saw for any other stock I looked at. I think he's been doing this because people have been shorting his stock for a very long time, because the PE ratios and other fundamentals don't look like they support the price. I think it is fair to say that he has a much greater level of knowledge on this topic even than most people that study it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
ManofOne you ever read..

Think and Trade Like a Champion: The Secrets, Rules and Blunt Truths of a Stock Market Wizard
Book by Mark Minervini

I've been rec'd this book by someone i trust. Worth a read?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing rumors that Robinhood is going to reenable "limited" buys of meme stocks. Not sure what it means.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don’t know a lot about investing and stocks, but common sense tells me that if something is being “artificially inflated” as in not for something that GameStop is doing to drive it up, but as kind of a movement, that at some point, whether it’s a month from now, a year from now, or more, that thing is going to crash back down to where it originally was. Because GameStop is in a bad way right now as a company.

If/when that happens I hope the everyday folks who jumped in on this don’t lose everything. Whenever these things hit the mainstream news you're going to have a lot of people who don't know what theyre doing get in way over their heads

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t know a lot about investing and stocks, but common sense tells me that if something is being “artificially inflated” as in not for something that GameStop is doing to drive it up, but as kind of a movement, that at some point, whether it’s a month from now, a year from now, or more, that thing is going to crash back down to where it originally was. Because GameStop is in a bad way right now as a company.

If/when that happens I hope the everyday folks who jumped in on this don’t lose everything. Whenever these things hit the mainstream news you're going to have a lot of people who don't know what theyre doing get in way over their heads

Oh, you're right. This increase has nothing to do with the fundamentals of GME. It's a "short squeeze" that's going on and one that is potentially of a scale that has never occurred before in the history of the market. Standard thinking may not apply, but lots of opinions about this.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Here's the full list of investing books in my kindle ( ill exclude investing biographies and school books)
Books highlighted are must reads. The others vary base on how knowledgeable you are in finance so I wont recommend them to a beginner.

6) Quantitative Equity Portfolio Management (Edward E Quain)
7) When Market Collide - Mohamed El-Erian
8) The little book of Currency Trading - Kathy Lien
9) The Acquirers Multiple - Tobias Carlisle
10) Principles of Banking - Moorad Choudry
11) Breaking into Banking - Andy Keusal
12) The Successful Lenders Field Guide - Chris Nicholas
11) The Art of Strategy - Avinash K Dixit
13) Quantitative Portfolio Management - Ludwig B Chincarini
14) Bayes Theorem - Dan Morris
15) Introduction in Financial Mathematics - Sheldon M Ross
16) Quantitative Finance - Matt Davison
17) Quantitative Finance - Steve Bell
18) Good to Great - Jim Collins
19 ) Narrative & Numbers - Aswath Damodaran
20) Investment Banking - Michel Fleuriet
21) The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas
22) Investment Checklist - Micheal Shearn

23) Analyzing Banking Risk - Sonja Brajovic
24) Stress Test - Timothy F Geithner
25) Security Valuation - KH Erickson
26) Quantitative Momentum - Wesley R Grey
27) Quantitative Investing - Piard Fred
28) Comprehensive Guide to ETFS- Joane M Hill
29) Investment Banking - Joshua Rosnbaum
30) Little Book of Valuation - Aswath Damodaren
31) Security Analysis and Business Valuation on WS - Jeffery Hook
32) Berkshire Hathaway letters to shareholders - 1965 to 2019 - Warren Buffet
33) Valuation Work book - Mckinsey
34) Financial Intelligence - Karen Berman
35) Best practices for equity research analysis - James Valentine
36) Little book that beats the market - Joel Greenblat
37) Little book of behavioral investing - James Montier
38) Guide to 50 economic indicators that matter - simon constable

39) Quantitative Value - Wesley R Grey
40) Sale Growth - McKinsey
41) FRM Handbook - Phillippe Jorion
42) Financial Forecasting - Micheal Samonas
43) Reading Price Charts - Al Brooks
44) Trading Stock Using Classical Chart Patterns - Brian Kim
45) Bible of Options - Cohen Guy
46) Quantitative Investment Analysis - Jeral E Pinto
47) Options Playbook - Brian Overby

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
My boss had CNBC on (I don't watch that crap myself) and they said Robinhood would be allowing GME trades tomorrow. This was a few mins ago

Lol the allowing it after all the chaos today. Ppl options are prob so far out of money right now. Only early movers prob benefited.

They need to release a good reason why.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Here's the full list of investing books in my kindle ( ill exclude investing biographies and school books)
Books highlighted are must reads. The others vary base on how knowledgeable you are in finance so I wont recommend them to a beginner.

6) Quantitative Equity Portfolio Management (Edward E Quain)
7) When Market Collide - Mohamed El-Erian
8) The little book of Currency Trading - Kathy Lien
9) The Acquirers Multiple - Tobias Carlisle
10) Principles of Banking - Moorad Choudry
11) Breaking into Banking - Andy Keusal
12) The Successful Lenders Field Guide - Chris Nicholas
11) The Art of Strategy - Avinash K Dixit
13) Quantitative Portfolio Management - Ludwig B Chincarini
14) Bayes Theorem - Dan Morris
15) Introduction in Financial Mathematics - Sheldon M Ross
16) Quantitative Finance - Matt Davison
17) Quantitative Finance - Steve Bell
18) Good to Great - Jim Collins
19 ) Narrative & Numbers - Aswath Damodaran
20) Investment Banking - Michel Fleuriet
21) The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas
22) Investment Checklist - Micheal Shearn

23) Analyzing Banking Risk - Sonja Brajovic
24) Stress Test - Timothy F Geithner
25) Security Valuation - KH Erickson
26) Quantitative Momentum - Wesley R Grey
27) Quantitative Investing - Piard Fred
28) Comprehensive Guide to ETFS- Joane M Hill
29) Investment Banking - Joshua Rosnbaum
30) Little Book of Valuation - Aswath Damodaren
31) Security Analysis and Business Valuation on WS - Jeffery Hook
32) Berkshire Hathaway letters to shareholders - 1965 to 2019 - Warren Buffet
33) Valuation Work book - Mckinsey
34) Financial Intelligence - Karen Berman
35) Best practices for equity research analysis - James Valentine
36) Little book that beats the market - Joel Greenblat
37) Little book of behavioral investing - James Montier
38) Guide to 50 economic indicators that matter - simon constable

39) Quantitative Value - Wesley R Grey
40) Sale Growth - McKinsey
41) FRM Handbook - Phillippe Jorion
42) Financial Forecasting - Micheal Samonas
43) Reading Price Charts - Al Brooks
44) Trading Stock Using Classical Chart Patterns - Brian Kim
45) Bible of Options - Cohen Guy
46) Quantitative Investment Analysis - Jeral E Pinto
47) Options Playbook - Brian Overby
had to double screen shot that one.

I want to take some of the time i have been wasting on neogaf and youtube and invest in my knowledge. The whole GME thing just kick started it for me.

ManofOne

Plus Member
had to double screen shot that one.

I want to take some of the time i have been wasting on neogaf and youtube and invest in my knowledge. The whole GME thing just kick started it for me.

Yah man, if you ever need help, we're here. Goodluck, (of course as always nothing said here is investment advice).

I held through it all. Sold some yesterday but bought back in with those profits today. I only have about 10k invested between GME and AMC (I got in at $2 before it was a meme stock). I'm confident we shoot to the moon next week!

Note this "investment" is very little compared to everything else I have safely invested in the total stock market index fund. Don't invest what you can't afford to lose!

Myths

It’s annoying as hell when it comes to after hours and pre market. That’s the only time they can make big plays with more time on their hands in the playing field.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else kinda in disbelief of the events today. Maybe I am just new to this but something felt extremely unsettling today with the events that unfolded.

Really makes you feel powerless and helpless and that's the goal. Now imagine what people without forums and chat rooms feel like?

This is how the big players have been rolling forever, but I think it's the first time that we all so clearly saw what was going on and that's why they had to quite literally have the brokers tie our hands behind our backs so we couldn't make any plays.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Is anyone else kinda in disbelief of the events today. Maybe I am just new to this but something felt extremely unsettling today with the events that unfolded.

This whole thing is really starting to feel like some kind of weird ass, video gamified, delayed response to 2008.

The market liked the idea of the little people giving them their money, but didn’t quite realise what it would mean if the little people started ganging up on it via the ‘miracle’ of social media. They’ve panicked now, and the curtain’s been cast aside on just how corrupt the whole shit show is. It is very unsettling... but not all that surprising.

This isn’t going away. There’s a sense of some kind of revenge in the air for decades of the 1% winning at everyone else’s loss. I expect a lot more of this in the future. Shorting stock is going to become a really risky business.

Last edited:

Dunki

i feel the same. I am always pro capitalism and never thought I am for restrictions on a free market. But this hedge fund thing is fucking ridiculous. Hell this has nothing to do with a free market anymore.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i feel the same. I am always pro capitalism and never thought I am for restrictions on a free market. But this hedge fund thing is fucking ridiculous. Hell this has nothing to do with a free market anymore.
It feels kinda surreal like what happened didn't "actually" happen. It's scary.

Top Bottom