• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Welp, might put my plans to buy a house on hold now. Portfolio is down more than 10% over the last couple weeks. I should have gotten out when I had a chance.

lillars

Welp, might put my plans to buy a house on hold now. Portfolio is down more than 10% over the last couple weeks. I should have gotten out when I had a chance.
Whatever you do, please don't sell unless you absolutely have to. It will bounce back eventually. Remember: the market is a game of patience.

If it’s a stock that you think is solid long term, never sell when the market is down, hold it. Usually my response to a hard dip is “oh look, a bargain sale.”

I only ever buy stocks when they dip in the first place so more dips are A Ok.

TVexperto

If it’s a stock that you think is solid long term, never sell when the market is down, hold it. Usually my response to a hard dip is “oh look, a bargain sale.”

I only ever buy stocks when they dip in the first place so more dips are A Ok.
what about peleton? its 80 percent down

Ellery

Somehow feels like every stock is down 50-60% from it peaks but the indices are still somewhat healthy. Some are down like 10-12% from their peak. The big big trillion dollar companies are probably carrying some weight here. So much red everywhere else.

Crypto is blood red (-50% from it's peak 3 months ago) and it looks like the only thing that mattered was liquidity and what the FED was doing. Now that QE is ending and interest rates are expected (could nearly call it a guarantee) to go up the money is going out and no new money is coming in.

This also means new buying opportunities, but when does it turn from a dip to something bigger and where are the bottoms. No idea if chinese or european stocks are worth looking at, but the ECB probably is like the FED on a delay, but eventually the ECB has to tighten and god damn this is going to hurt so much for european countries like spain, portugal, italy, greece, france etc.given how printing more money basically financed those states through the banks.

Will be super interesting to see where the future goes (also maybe extremely terrifying) with russia ukraine, gas/energy prices, gold/silver, stocks, central banks, china, covid and everything else.

Not impossible to see a bigger decline/recession/crash or whatever, but I dislike predicting doom or making any guess, because in the end it always is different with hindsight being 20/20.

betrayal

Banned
So in general, there's nothing left to do but not sell, maybe DCA, and sit it out no matter how long it takes? Apart from that, rather not buy any new positions at all now, right?

It is quite tempting to get into some things that will probably continue to have strong revenues in the future, but somehow I have the feeling that it will take quite a while before the wind turns.

FunkMiller

Sit it out if you can lads. I’m down a healthy 15% on the year, but still thankfully up on my outlays. I seriously wouldn’t get out now unless you really have to, and if you have to, you shouldn’t be playing this dumb ass game! 🤪

Ellery

Impossible to say. Could continue to fall down or could be the FED stepping in printing more money because of fears of russia/ukraine/economy etc. and we see another biggest rally of all time.

However, we do have inflation :pie_thinking:

From a political perspective it would make sense that we see a decline now until we get inflation under control and then Biden can use this politically as having beaten inflation, corona and by that time the market probably rallys again.

No idea, but it will definitely be very interesting to see what happens in the next 12 months.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm sitting at about 70% cash. But my equities have sunk like a rock. What I got left are down and out stocks down probably 40%. Overall, probably around 10-15% off my high, when back in I think Oct or Nov it was at that high. Awful last 3 months.

dem

Awkward Episode 1 GIF by Heels

GHG

So is there any hope here for a bounce back for tech? How long are we looking at if so...?

It already happened intraday last Thursday and couldn't hold unfortunately.

Every bounce is getting sold/shorted.

For a sustained bounce no idea at this stage, all bets are off. We haven't seen a bludgeoning like this since the Covid drop for tech (and this is now officially worse in terms of daily RSI levels - 27 then vs 24 now). If you look deeper it gets even worse. Microsoft for example hasn't been at it's current daily oversold levels since August 2015 (if it closes today at its current stock price).

Yeeeesh. Good thing I had less than half my money in the market. Good buying opportunities this week hopefully, it’s a find the bottom game. Holding strong.

Tomorrow will probably be down as well, maybe wednesday too but after that hope it stabilizes. Good luck.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeeeesh. Good thing I had less than half my money in the market. Good buying opportunities this week hopefully.

Tomorrow will probably be down as well, maybe wednesday too but after that hope it stabilizes. Good luck.
I'm 70% cash and though my current leftover stocks are total dogshit, you never know. If it keeps dropping this might turn into covid March 2020 buying opp where everything drops 30 or 40%. Then load up. If that does happened I'm not even going to risk loading up on risky shit. I'm going to load up on good companies whose dividends just changed from 4% yield to 8%. And sit on that for 20 years. During the Mar 2020 meltdown there were companies that were paying a 20% yield and rebounded big time and back to normal yield. Some fuckers hit the lottery scooping that up back then.

Ya, wait for indexes to stabalize.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

So...I legit am depressed. Started Jan 2021.Started with 100k, I am down over 42k total for stocks. Crypto I'm up about 50k total, but this has been extremely depressing to say the least. I have no sold, but it's mainly Cathy Wood's ARK ETFs that have fucked me so hard. Any chance these will rebound within the next couple years or is it not looking good?

Raven117

Woof. Its bloody out there.

Stay frosty out there. Its been easy money out there for awhile...Winter is here. Stay patient. Don't do anything stupid.

lillars

So...I legit am depressed. Started Jan 2021.Started with 100k, I am down over 42k total for stocks. Crypto I'm up about 50k total, but this has been extremely depressing to say the least. I have no sold, but it's mainly Cathy Wood's ARK ETFs that have fucked me so hard. Any chance these will rebound within the next couple years or is it not looking good?
The ARK ETFs are extremely volatile and high-risk and as such carry the risk of lower lows and higher highs. Hopefully you didn't put too much into them if you need the money soon. They will go back up, but you've got to be patient with them for now.

BigBooper

Frustrated World Cup GIF

I think they will rebound, but those ETFs were especially bad last year.

chromhound

keep your head up it will go back up. I was up 50k and now i'm at 2k lol. Should have locked my profit lol....

• Triggered
Reactions: Gp1

GHG

I'm going to tell you what other people are afraid to say for some reason, the ark funds are unlikely to ever reach the levels that they did last year as long as the holdings and her strategy stays the same. A lot of those companies won't exist in 10 years time.

If you want to do more digging go through every single stock in the funds and look at their valuations and debt levels. Do your own due diligence to make a decision on what your exit strategy is.

at least we're back to what it was at opening. i expect it to dump on close with people calling to dump their mutual funds.

T2OSGCL.png

Yep, looks like it's already started happening.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
NvoQT3G.png

I ended up losing almost two years worth of salary in this dip, but it is all up from here. Blackout period ended, money printer restarted.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Look at the constitution of ARK funds, many of those companies are never going to rebound. Unless Cathy rebalances into better positions, she is fucked.

Reactions: GHG

Buggy Loop

So, CNBC interrupted Shark Tank, a big hitter for rating, to put Jim Cramer for 1 hour to tell peoples to buy, hold the bag longer, buy buy buy.

WTF

The situation must be BAD if the puppets of hedge funds are now that desperate.

Remember Jim Cramer and Bear Stearns?
How is he not in prison?

GHG

So, CNBC interrupted Shark Tank, a big hitter for rating, to put Jim Cramer for 1 hour to tell peoples to buy, hold the bag longer, buy buy buy.

WTF

The situation must be BAD if the puppets of hedge funds are now that desperate.

Remember Jim Cramer and Bear Stearns?
How is he not in prison?

Is there a clip of this online anywhere? What's he telling people to buy exactly?

betrayal

Banned
Two friends who have been trading stocks and large sums for 20+ years say either wait until blackrock drops to ~$700 (I personally don't really understand that as a benchmark though?) and then buy buy buy and the other has already started investing again today (Adobe, Coloplast, Novo Nordirsk, MSCI, American Water Works, Nvidia).

This does not make it easier if you have the urge to invest in today's climate.

GHG

Two friends who have been trading stocks and large sums for 20+ years say either wait until blackrock drops to ~$700 (I personally don't really understand that as a benchmark though?) and then buy buy buy and the other has already started investing again today (Adobe, Coloplast, Novo Nordirsk, MSCI, American Water Works, Nvidia).

This does not make it easier if you have the urge to invest in today's climate.

If you're investing long term the best thing to do is wait until prices for individual stocks reach a level that makes sense to you. That way you will have conviction if things turn against you for a while and you will welcome the opportunity to buy more.

However that will mean you need to spend some time researching each company's numbers and prospects. If you break it up and do one company for an hour a day it becomes a lot more manageable.

If you don't want to do that and/or can't find the time then just DCA in to SPY on a monthly basis and over time it will work itself out.

The Blackrock @700 thing will be his own personal signal, nothing more and nothing less. If you dig deep enough you will be able to find reasons why that might make sense along with a bunch of other stuff that will show it doesn't make sense. You need to get your own personal signals.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
what in the fuck this past two days.

So I loaded a fucking ton of puts in the morning which were up handily - rode down, took profit. Decided to use that gain to buy a bunch of common stock on microsoft for earnings and it immediately tanks -5% after hours. I sell to break even and within literal fucking seconds it rocket recovers up %5.

Kill me. I made something like 75k and lost it in less than an hour. I remember why I stopped trading and just held long.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom