• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

You would have thought that a digital signature service would be booming when everyone is working from home.

It's a pain to use and if my experience is any indication most users don't understand it. I am forced to use it for work, I don't like it. It takes a minute or two to sign a document, sometimes the file crashes, sometimes it does not work properly. If it was my choice we would not bother with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lousy September, November and now December!

On the plus side, I do have a pot of cash on the sidelines. If markets sink like Covid V2, I'm ready to dive in if everything tanks 30%. I'm not missing out like bottom fishing March/April 2020.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
any good discounts atm? Disney seems like a good buy

anybody that says baba I'll slice ur throat 🤗

Last edited:

GHG

any good discounts atm? Disney seems like a good buy

anybody that says baba I'll slice ur throat 🤗

From my current watch list:

Facebook has the best valuation of all the FAANG stocks right now (and the S&P as a whole) if you can deal with all the noise. A $50 billion share buyback was also announced at their last earnings so that always helps, especially in situations where the market is falling as it currently is.

Deere's valuation is solid right now and has been since all the worker strike nonsense began.

Western Digital, Texas Instruments and Google are also not bad at the moment. If you believe Intel can turn things around long term then anything in the mid-high 40's looks good. QCOM if it falls back into the 150's or below (but even with the recent run up it's had its still not terrible).

Disney only seems like a "good buy" relative to it's recent highs, from a valuation standpoint it's still a bloated pig with a shit load of Disney+ growth speculation built in. From a long term perspective IMO it needs to fall under 100 for me to take a closer look.

It says a lot that even with the last week we've had most of the market still looks awful from a valuation standpoint. Rampant speculation everywhere.

HoodWinked

s&p500 bingo

NCLH was the winner up 12% at some point. MRNA biggest loser.

stockmarket seems to be pricing in omicron being less bad
KhNAV4A.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Finally some good news. Yesterday was a good day and Intel is going to pop today as they announced an IPO splitting out one of their divisions in 2022. Got in at just under $50 a bunch of weeks ago. Best news I've had in a month.

HoodWinked

Finally some good news. Yesterday was a good day and Intel is going to pop today as they announced an IPO splitting out one of their divisions in 2022. Got in at just under $50 a bunch of weeks ago. Best news I've had in a month.
when there were leaks about alder lake benchmarks being very positive I was going to buy but some reason i didn't. regrets.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is the worst feel. I have a huge cash position for the purpose of buying options at the startup I left, which supposedly will go public in the next 18 months. I have to buy the options on January, so I built the cash position in advance. Meanwhile, I have to see a beautiful dip I just want to buy in. I ended up blowing $5k between options in Cloudflare and other shares, but I just want to throw it all at the market right now. I just need to stop looking.

Also, I started a new job and my first check got destroyed by taxes. Turns out my tax deductions had not been properly set, and not only that, but I have to pay social security taxes all over again for the sake of compliance and will be returned to me back in April. FML!

Last edited:

HoodWinked

This is the worst feel. I have a huge cash position for the purpose of buying options at the startup I left, which supposedly will go public in the next 18 months. I have to buy the options on January, so I built the cash position in advance. Meanwhile, I have to see a beautiful dip I just want to buy in. I ended up blowing $5k between options in Cloudflare and other shares, but I just want to throw it all at the market right now. I just need to stop looking.

Also, I started a new job and my first check got destroyed by taxes. Turns out my tax deductions had not been properly set, and not only that, but I have to pay social security taxes all over again for the sake of compliance and will be returned to me back in April. FML!
did you get fired from better.com

GHG

I had the opportunity to buy more, I even heard about their new deal and I got lazy. Anyway, I’ll just hold my shares until they 10x around the time of the next election.

10x from what price?

You're playing with fire. It's a SPAC, it's more likely to go under $10 a share than it is to stay around the figures it's at now.

godhandiscen

10x from what price?

You're playing with fire. It's a SPAC, it's more likely to go under $10 a share than it is to stay around the figures it's at now.
$42

It is just a few shares, but I believe that once the election nears those shares will go meme.

Cyberpunkd

It's a pain to use and if my experience is any indication most users don't understand it. I am forced to use it for work, I don't like it. It takes a minute or two to sign a document, sometimes the file crashes, sometimes it does not work properly. If it was my choice we would not bother with it.
How long does it take you to sign on paper, mail, receive a copy, file it in?

How long does it take you to sign on paper, mail, receive a copy, file it in?

The only thing I use it for is my timesheet, and to sign disclosure type stuff that goes to HR as my employer requires it. Literally everything else I am allowed to just initial with a pen. I dont mail, things, I email them or give them to the mail guy who does that for me. I am allowed to email things I work on with just putting my initials in an initial box.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

I started a position on Tecnoglass, TGLS, after Hindenburg research claimed their numbers were faked and the result of dealings between the CEO and Colombian drug cartels.

Long time ago, I was subcontracted to build a web based 3D visualization system for their enterprise resource platform. At the time, Tecnoglass was receiving so many orders that their outdated processes couldn't keep with demand and they needed to build modern workflows to complete order quotes faster. The company was already publicly traded, and I knew their stock was about pop off, but I didn't buy since it would be insider trading. It's been years now and I figured that short hedge fund created a good opportunity for me thanks to their FUD.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

he's exercised 12.6 million options so far, he has a total of 23 million total. So he still has 10.4 million to exercise by August 22 or they expire.

question is whether he will exercise the rest before the end of the year or save some till next year. Probably better off exercising them all this year since tax policy will likely only get worse next year.

W3NKtZG.png

GHG

he's exercised 12.6 million options so far, he has a total of 23 million total. So he still has 10.4 million to exercise by August 22 or they expire.

question is whether he will exercise the rest before the end of the year or save some till next year. Probably better off exercising them all this year since tax policy will likely only get worse next year.

W3NKtZG.png

If he's smart he will do it this year because if the FED do what they need to do there's not a chance Tesla will trade at the levels it's currently trading at.

GHG

godhandiscen

You want the inflation situation to get worse than it is now?

The reality of the current situation is that we need to go backwards to go forwards.
What I want doesn’t matter. But if I could wish for something is for my November gains back.

GHG

What I want doesn’t matter. But if I could wish for something is for my November gains back.

Should have sold in November 😏

But seriously, I hope you get your gains back and at the very least aren't in the red on anything.

Personally I think there's a high chance the market will have one more "party" before things start to look a bit bleaker. Historically it's unlikely they allow the market to outright crash at this time of year. That should give you an opportunity to either hedge or reconsider some positions.

godhandiscen

Should have sold in November 😏

But seriously, I hope you get your gains back and at the very least aren't in the red on anything.

Personally I think there's a high chance the market will have one more "party" before things start to look a bit bleaker. Historically it's unlikely they allow the market to outright crash at this time of year. That should give you an opportunity to either hedge or reconsider some positions.
I beat the market by a lot this year. I am not in the red, but for a moment there, the game was too easy and I started dreaming of retiring much earlier than I realistically will be able to do.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

GHG

I beat the market by a lot this year. I am not in the red, but for a moment there, the game was too easy and I started dreaming of retiring much earlier than I realistically will be able to do.

Markets always find a way to make that happen. I've now programmed myself to think of the worst case scenario if I start to feel like a strategy/investment is too easy in a situation where I nail the timing and the gains come fast.

The reality of all of this is that none of us really know what's coming next and none of us have the power to move the market in our favour so we are just sitting ducks. With that in mind it's always best to be aware of whether you're swimming with the tide or against it. Right now I feel like a lot of people are trying to swim against the current tide, it's a certain way to get chopped up, both financially and psychologically.

HoodWinked

So far Elon has sold $14.1 billion with a $5.25 billion tax bill on the sold shares.

but his options total $19 billion in compensation. so he has a $10 billion tax bill on the options.

I'm seeing a total of $15.25 billion tax bill even though he's stated $11 billion.

he still has 6.3 million shares to exercise by aug 2022 that will cost another $6 billion in taxes once exercised.

godhandiscen

So far Elon has sold $14.1 billion with a $5.25 billion tax bill on the sold shares.

but his options total $19 billion in compensation. so he has a $10 billion tax bill on the options.

I'm seeing a total of $15.25 billion tax bill even though he's stated $11 billion.

he still has 6.3 million shares to exercise by aug 2022 that will cost another $6 billion in taxes once exercised.

HoodWinked

i was planning to watch the full interview when i had time. but ya he sold another batch today. but even with all that selling pressure because bloomberg wrote up a false news story stating he was done selling people started buying up TSLA like crazy and now the stock is up heavily back above 1000.

GHG

What tool do you use to check volume? Is today the volume higuer?

Tradingview's default layout has it visible I believe. This is where you can see it (excuse this being messy, I'm on my phone, it will be a lot more clear via the desktop Web browser) :

3GRUlLa.jpg

Volume is the bars along the bottom. To get a clearer view of what's happening you want to set to to daily or weekly candlesticks (weekly only after the Friday trading day has completed). On the desktop app there's also further information regarding volume on the sidebar (it should have the current days volume as a number along with the average volume). As you can see we've had significantly declining volume over the last 5 days but at the same time there's been a large move up.

My money is on this being a false breakout unless we get significant volume coming in to the market in order to sustain the current levels or continue the breakout. Right now the current levels are on flimsy foundations since not many people (and not much money) participated in taking it up to new all time highs.

My rule of thumb is that unless I see average or above average volume supporting a move either upwards or downwards then it's a trap.

Also, do not go long on a stock with high volume while it's declining, and do not go short on a stock with high volume that is rising. If you do that you're going counter trend and you're almost guaranteed to lose money unless you're doing a well calculated intra-day scalp.

Edit:

Yahoo finance also gives you the numbers on individual ticker pages and these update live throughout the trading day (example below is for SPY yesterday) :

Egyelwq.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Happy my Intel buy a month ago is +10%.

Still a ways to claw back to my ATH. Nov/Dec were trash. Got a ton of money on the sideline and cautious what to put it into. Even the "safe stuff" looks so overvalued. But may do more safe stuff then last years meme flipping where I look for 3-5% divvy yields.

Top Bottom