• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STOP begging for Easy Mode in Elden Ring!

Y0ssarian

Banned
The game is busted in 10 different ways in terms of difficulty. I couldn't care less if they add an easy mode, but it would be nice if they made a competently balanced action game. And if they don't, then they can listen to criticism about it.

You're in a huge bubble if you can't even tolerate dissenting opinion on Elden Ring. The gameplay portion is a giant regression from Sekiro. REEE is actually having more interesting discussions about the game, and less people seem to lose their minds at criticism. When REEE has better conversation, then you know something is off in how people here are acting.

rA00pj4.gif

ahtlas7

This I don't understand. Why do you think this is the only way to design a game that opens itself up to more people being able to experience and, potentially, defeat it? That there isn't an ocean of design space between "impenetrable to most" and "autopilot of game activated."
I can assure you I had nothing to do with the game development so I can’t answer those question only provide speculation.

To be honest, options are ALWAYS better in any game. Remapping controls, display options, character costumes, etc. I'd never say a game is horrible without them, but overall i feel the gaming industry should make it standard. Some people can't click sticks in to sprint/lock on. Some people don't have the time to grind and face bosses over and over. I definitely get what you're all saying, i just definitely think responsibilities change as you get older and a lot of people are keeping that in mind when requesting these modes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I tried Elden Ring for a few hours, like the universe. Eventually put down the control and will never pick it up again.

I deal with enough challenges and actual real-life hustle to be a loser who's proud of wasting beating a boss after 30 redundant time. I want value, fin and most importantly a well -designed-, -balanced- and -curved- game. I think Dark Souls is a success by chance not by design, because the game design was liked not because it's great but because enough people bothered in a time when difficulty had become rare/retro...but the truth it's that it's probably a bad design or a mistake that became a formula, and this formula is passing in trend.
Dark Souls was a balanced game. Yes, you could still get yourself in a corner by wasting materials on a bad weapon, but the game on the whole was infinitely better balanced than the sequels. The shields actually worked. The collisions were as
perfect as they could be. Cheap traps were very few. Gang attacks were rare and you mostly had to work to trigger one, and since shields were actually worth a damn and good collisions meant the shield would effectively block attacks, you could still survive for more than a few seconds. Enemy attacks weren’t literal machine guns, even the hardest bosses had some cooldown moments and they didn’t read your inputs when you tried to heal 9 times out of 10 like ER blatantly does. The game only had one duo boss, and enemies that made the camera go bananas were rightly notorious because of it.

The game design in ER clearly revels in cheap situations, surprise assaults, deliberately awful camera, and relentless enemies. The magicians in the Academy will keep casting spells without a second’s pause for literal minutes, like they’re having a magic seizure or something. When you’re on horseback, most enemies can pull a quickfire combo out of their ass that will one-shot your horse without giving you time to react. There’s dual-wielding knights that I swear can (and will) pull off a 8 or 9-hit combo that can one-shot you like it’s nothing.
Yeah, there’s ways to cheese the game, but only because cheesing is the name of the game, unless you’re an absolute pro who can parry every blow without a mistake. It’s a contest of who can out-cheese the other - the game, or you. Dark Souls felt like it rewarded actual skill - you didn’t need to cheese the game, just choose a build, stick with it, and yes, git gud at it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just play as a wizard. That's your easy mode. The only problem is that combat becomes extremely boring. I got tired after 10 hours.

RafterXL

But there is easy mode, just play mage, like I do.
There are a dozen easy modes. Level up, bleed builds, caster builds, Op mimics, Moonveil, so many powerful ash skills, etc. There are so many ways to cheese the game that the only people who can't find a way to make the game appropriately difficult for their skill level are either people who are too stupid or just aren't trying.
Took me like 20 tries as melee...

mister rogers middle finger GIF
Yeah, and that wasn't even the easiest mode caster. He could have sat back a lot more and never pulled aggro. Or even cast a decent spell every once in a while.

Tank summons + caster build is basically tourist mode in Elden Ring.

Saucy Papi

I can't stand Dreamcast guy, dude use to be okay, when he made his harmless top 10 Dreamcast games videos.

Now he just churns out pretend outrage crap, or his "brutally honest" tripe.

or chases what he thinks will get him views and attention.
That's basically every YouTuber out there now. I used to really like YongYea but he's become so incredibly negative that it's impossible to watch him.

CosmicComet

I wouldn't mind easy modes on difficult games as I'm getting over my 'pro gamer' phase (completing nioh 2 and all its dlcs was my last great gaming feat) and I just like to chill after a hard day at work.

But I'm not gonna be a little bitch and beg and scream for it.

Miyazaki has made it clear that it's part of his design vision for everyone to have a shared experience and that's ok. He shouldn't have to compromise his artistic vision for anyone.

I respect Miyazaki's commitment to this stance.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I just found a glitch that makes the game so much easier.

And let me just say. As someone who has collected more than a million runes. The game is hard, and it doesn't get easy so to speak.

daveonezero

Banned
To be honest, options are ALWAYS better in any game. Remapping controls, display options, character costumes, etc. I'd never say a game is horrible without them, but overall i feel the gaming industry should make it standard. Some people can't click sticks in to sprint/lock on. Some people don't have the time to grind and face bosses over and over. I definitely get what you're all saying, i just definitely think responsibilities change as you get older and a lot of people are keeping that in mind when requesting these modes.
There is a difference between accessibility features vs changing game mechanics. Usually the people in the OP don't have that nuance.

mekes

From can only do it if they label it as “Idiot Mode” In the menu.

Otherwise, hell no. I consume so much media around these games when they are released and one of the coolest things, no matter how broken a build, or skilful a player, is that everybody is on the exact same game.

evangd007

Took me like 20 tries as melee...

mister rogers middle finger GIF
That Astrologer kill wasn't even that clean. He was panic rolling everywhere.

Bad news: you fight more of these guys later. Good news: the next time I fought one I killed it in 30 seconds and never got hit. Their moves are highly telegraphed and they have low poise so most medium-weight weapons will stun lock them for a full combo.

Notabueno

Banned
Dark Souls was a balanced game. Yes, you could still get yourself in a corner by wasting materials on a bad weapon, but the game on the whole was infinitely better balanced than the sequels. The shields actually worked. The collisions were as
perfect as they could be. Cheap traps were very few. Gang attacks were rare and you mostly had to work to trigger one, and since shields were actually worth a damn and good collisions meant the shield would effectively block attacks, you could still survive for more than a few seconds. Enemy attacks weren’t literal machine guns, even the hardest bosses had some cooldown moments and they didn’t read your inputs when you tried to heal 9 times out of 10 like ER blatantly does. The game only had one duo boss, and enemies that made the camera go bananas were rightly notorious because of it.

The game design in ER clearly revels in cheap situations, surprise assaults, deliberately awful camera, and relentless enemies. The magicians in the Academy will keep casting spells without a second’s pause for literal minutes, like they’re having a magic seizure or something. When you’re on horseback, most enemies can pull a quickfire combo out of their ass that will one-shot your horse without giving you time to react. There’s dual-wielding knights that I swear can (and will) pull off a 8 or 9-hit combo that can one-shot you like it’s nothing.
Yeah, there’s ways to cheese the game, but only because cheesing is the name of the game, unless you’re an absolute pro who can parry every blow without a mistake. It’s a contest of who can out-cheese the other - the game, or you. Dark Souls felt like it rewarded actual skill - you didn’t need to cheese the game, just choose a build, stick with it, and yes, git gud at it.

Now that's a review I can trust.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Elden Ring already has an easy mode:

Furlcalling Finger Remedy is a Multiplayer Item and Consumable in Elden Ring. Multiplayer Items allow players to interact with each other in various ways, including leaving messages for other players to read, co-operative gameplay and competitive gameplay like PVP.

furlcalling_finger_remedy_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

Tarnished's Furled Finger is a Multiplayer Item in Elden Ring. Multiplayer Items allow players to interact with each other in various ways, including leaving messages for other players to read, co-operative gameplay and competitve gameplay like PVP.

tarnisheds_furled_finger_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

Last edited:

Boneless

I'm a newbie player and I'd say it isn't so much the difficulty, it is the insane difficulty spikes or perhaps just unbalanced enemies early in the game that is the problem. The knights in stormveil are more difficult than virtually any of the mini bosses that I have fought so far. It makes me not want to play the game and honestly I'm falling off hard now due to this. Probably a 99% chance that I never finish this game cause of this unbalanced shit.

Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco

Mossybrew

This is a tired conversation but really you can make the majority of the game fairly easy by just overleveling yourself for the content, get out there, explore every nook and cranny and optional dungeon, learn about a couple rune grinding spots to use to supplement your everyday rune gain, play it safe with your runes, maybe look up some strong weapons/ashes etc. that are available early game, keep your weapon and ash summons as upgraded as you can, and you can trivialize a lot of bosses. I also suck at Souls games but I'm approaching some of the final areas of the game at this point.

Last edited:
It should be there, period. It doesn’t mean those of you that feel so superior beating a “hard game” would get screwed. No, your game wouldn’t change at all. You could still feel superior over other gamers without those that are blocked from enjoying the game now screwing things up for you. This isn’t about changing your experience, it’s about making it more accessible - without changing the main game for those that enjoy it - to those that don’t have the time/patience/ability/etc, which is better for everyone.

Therefore, get over yourself. Enough of the “elite gamers” thinking their opinions matter more than those that would play this, and other games but for the unnecessary difficulty. Again, YOUR game would stay the same…no harm done to the core experience, or those that demand such a challenge. However, adding an easy mode…or whatever you’d call it, changes NOTHING for you, but allows for others to experience it as well.

An easy win-win.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It should be there, period. It doesn’t mean those of you that feel so superior beating a “hard game” would get screwed. No, your game wouldn’t change at all. You could still feel superior over other gamers without those that are blocked from enjoying the game now screwing things up for you. This isn’t about changing your experience, it’s about making it more accessible - without changing the main game for those that enjoy it - to those that don’t have the time/patience/ability/etc, which is better for everyone.

Therefore, get over yourself. Enough of the “elite gamers” thinking their opinions matter more than those that would play this, and other games but for the unnecessary difficulty. Again, YOUR game would stay the same…no harm done to the core experience, or those that demand such a challenge. However, adding an easy mode…or whatever you’d call it, changes NOTHING for you, but allows for others to experience it as well.

An easy win-win.
The game's director and CEO of From Software is on record saying the difficulty is part of their identity and that they want gamers to experience that. The difficulty is 100% attached to the experience, so yes, an Easy mode would alter what the game is designed to do.

90% of the time it's honestly not that difficult of a game. It's a cake walk compared to the other titles in the series. The difficulty aspect with ER is so overblown, it's basically hysteria at this point for some people. Like a child freaking out when they're in line for a Haunted House at the local fair. Mid-way through the House they realize it's not a big deal and then just have fun with it and start taunting the people in costumes.

Also, very few people are elitist about the Souls games. It's a vocal minority that trolls the other vocal minority who call for an Easy mode every time a Souls game releases, it's just trolling. 9/10 ER players would gladly assist or share tips with anyone, the game is designed around that and has all kinds of systems in place so people can help each other out. Some people farm by placing their summon sign outside of boss areas. It's fun to assist others in the game.

FUBARx89

Elden Ring already has an easy mode:

furlcalling_finger_remedy_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

tarnisheds_furled_finger_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

Depends how good your co-op partner is. Buffs boss damage and health summoning people in. As has always been the case in souls games.

But yeah, I agree with the general sentiment, magic is easy mode, always has been in souls.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Depends how good your co-op partner is. Buffs boss damage and health summoning people in. As has always been the case in souls games.

But yeah, I agree with the general sentiment, magic is easy mode, always has been in souls.

Honestly? most of the times all you need is a damage sponge

daveonezero

Banned
Gamers are stupid. If the game didn't have advantages and disadvantages for some bosses vs some builds then this game would be trash. It is a near impossible game to balance and the fact it has as many enemies and bosses that it does is insane. Complaining there aren't 150 new bosses is nuts.

FUBARx89

Honestly? most of the times all you need is a damage sponge

Nah. If ya summon in is shit, ya in for a bad time, more so if they die as the boss remains buffed. If they summon in 2 people it's even worse.

I was summoned in for a fight and I felt so sorry for the host, boss was on his last legs. I iframed the attack, host accidentally got slapped with the attack and died, poor bastard.

If anyone wants a damage sponge I'd reccomend using ashes, doesn't effect boss health or damage rather than a human or npc summon.

Boneless

An easy win-win.

Oooohhhhh simpleton..Life must be easy with such simplistic views.

You don't have the right, O you don't have the right. And, you don't have the right

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I can assure you I had nothing to do with the game development so I can’t answer those question only provide speculation.

Answering the previous question doesn't require anything more than an imagination.

Just play as a wizard. That's your easy mode. The only problem is that combat becomes extremely boring. I got tired after 10 hours.

The problem with suggestions like this and clearly "summed up" by the gif of the Mage fighting The Misbegotten. The solution to difficulty complaints shouldn't be "just go and get busted gear while also spoiling yourself on the game." Folks keep going on and on about the "vision" of the game being ruined by an easier version of the content while suggesting people ruin their game by getting easier content in the game. Wild stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Elden Ring is by far the most forgiving Souls' game in existence.

If you are finding it unreasonably hard its because either by accident or choice you haven't figured out any of the many stupidly overpowered options you can acquire pretty much from the first moment you set foot in Limgrave.

If you explore, you'll find stuff. If you want to skip that hit up a wiki and go directly to the things you want. Honestly, the most OP thing in Elden Ring is knowledge, because there are so many crazy tricks and tools you can acquire to level insanely fast and dish out boss crushing damage,

Last edited:

wOs

At this point I think I've changed sides and am more irritated at people bitching about people asking for easy mode.

In general, Let people ask and Let the dev do what they want.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

The Elden Ring discussion became aneurysm-inducing as soon as people launched into the "shitty UX" and "easy mode" discussions AGAIN after From made their intensions clear multiple times in the past.

Elden Ring streamlined many aspects of Souls games. Most experienced From veterans say it's the easiest game yet if you use the mechanics as intended. The game might be lacking in accessibility options but that's still most games, and it's an industry-wide problem. Whatever feedback they get from Elden Ring I'm sure they'll incorporate in subsequent releases, but I doubt they'll do anything that changes the core philosophy.

There are a billion games out there. Those who are upset that Elden Ring doesn't check all the boxes can go and play something else. FOMO is fucking stupid.

I say all this as someone who's only beaten Souls 1 and 2, while taking YEARS to chip away at 3. I like the games but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. I'm just sick of the constant bitching about everything these days.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I'm a newbie player and I'd say it isn't so much the difficulty, it is the insane difficulty spikes or perhaps just unbalanced enemies early in the game that is the problem. The knights in stormveil are more difficult than virtually any of the mini bosses that I have fought so far. It makes me not want to play the game and honestly I'm falling off hard now due to this. Probably a 99% chance that I never finish this game cause of this unbalanced shit.
You do know you don’t have to beat any of those knights, but they are super easy with magic. And melee just remember to block and parry. Mostly I just block and circle to back stabs when possible.

Filben

Astrologer easy mode:

This was my easiest boss fight. I summoned those three ghost wolves and they perma stun locked him.

Most fights I won by shere luck or cheesing it though. Those lions wearing blades at their feet with their ten attack combo and unlimited stamina? No clue how I beat them.

I wish I had a clue about a build or how to properly use items to increase my resistances and damage.

Any good guide out there?

Hari Seldon

You do know you don’t have to beat any of those knights, but they are super easy with magic. And melee just remember to block and parry. Mostly I just block and circle to back stabs when possible.
You have to beat some of them, like the one in the dark room and a few on some of the paths that you cannot sneak around (if you explore the entire castle). What I did is probably the same thing everyone else did, exploit the jank of this game with maximum fuckery by going in the room and hitting him and running out where he cannot follow. There is another knight by the church inside the castle where the only way I could beat the knight (and get past him to unlock the lift) was to exploit the fact that there is a ladder there, and climb up the latter, wait for the fat fucker to come to the top, hit him, and then jump down... repeat until dead.

This is also why I straight up think that this is bad game. Instead of a balanced encounter where it weighs player skill against an AI mob, it is a janky piece of shit where the only way to beat it is to turn fuckery up to 11, or grind for days until you are way over-leveled.

EDIT: And before you windmill mother fuckers think that I am asking for an easy mode, I am not. I agree that an easy mode is a terrible idea, but probably for different reasons than you do. If you added an easy mode such that you do not need to exploit fuckery to win, then it would require them to actually make the encounters balanced and the AI good. An easy mode would reveal that this game is just unbalanced enemies with shit AI that is exploitable if you experiment or google enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom