• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One of my favorite 90's anime movies. The Chun Li/Vega fight is killer, but its a movie full of killer fights.

Garlador

Boxer had it worse. All he did was roll his Googley eyes off a cliff with Honda.

Did they ever explain the googley eyes? Like, it wasn't an animation "mistake" because they just KEPT doing it with him, in every frame of that fight, quite deliberately. The animation quality was strong enough that it had to be a deliberate choice.
latest

streetfighter2.jpg

boxer.jpg

Did they ever explain the googley eyes? Like, it wasn't an animation "mistake" because they just KEPT doing it with him, in every frame of that fight, quite deliberately. The animation quality was strong enough that it had to be a deliberate choice.

One too many concussions from boxing

BreakAtmo

Am I the only one who thinks the lead-up to the Chun-Li vs Vega fight works as way more than just fanservice? I love the music and visuals and sound design in it. The contrast between the cold blues of the staircase Vega makes his way up and the very soothing, warm tones of Chun-Li's apartment, combined with the dreamy-but-ominous music. Even the shower scene really sells the sense of warmth and privacy and vulnerability to me, and makes the whole home invasion aspect of the scene so much stronger.

I dunno if that was really intended but I found it so well done in a way that makes it hold up better than “woo anime boobs".

This was one of my favorite movies growing up, I have no idea how many times I seen it. But my favorite fight in the whole movie is Ryu and Ken vs. Bison, just way too epic IMO.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
"Uncensored"

So wait. Was a government entity involved with the original release of the movie?

I don't understand why people all of a sudden consider "censorship" to be some government fascist only term. That is wrong, by definition. And whenever this is brought up in censorship threads, it gets conveniently ignored or dismissed for no reason other than "well that's not how I see it".

There's really no subjectivity here. Or are you going to suggest that the removal of blood, cursing, and nudity is "localization" in this context too? If you ever brought up that term in most group discussions about movies, no one would know what you were talking about. It's a predominantly gaming term that's been used lately to recklessly justify any regional change.

Garlador

Am I the only one who thinks the lead-up to the Chun-Li vs Vega fight works as way more than just fanservice? I love the music and visuals and sound design in it. The contrast between the cold blues of the staircase Vega makes his way up and the very soothing, warm tones of Chun-Li's apartment, combined with the dreamy-but-ominous music. Even the shower scene really sells the sense of warmth and privacy and vulnerability to me, and makes the whole home invasion aspect of the scene so much stronger.

I dunno if that was really intended but I found it so well done in a way that makes it hold up better than “woo anime boobs".
No, you're absolutely right.

Almost every fighting game anime adaption I've seen - Fatal Fury, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden, etc. - they all just have completely pointless, gratuitous shower scenes. They have no point. They're just... there. For fanservice.

Chun-li's shower scene actually *gasp!* serves a point. For one, she's not just alone; it's during a scene right after we've been told Vega was sent to kill her. We spend more time with him creeping around the apartment, trying to find the spot for the kill, spying on her... it's a tad sexy to see her, but the scene itself, in context, isn't sexy... it's creepy. It's scary. She's got a blade-wielding killer in her home and she's at her most vulnerable, totally unaware.

It's less "woo anime boobs" and more, well, PSYCHO.

And that's the set-up. She's a girl, alone, in her home, at night, with a psychopath there to murder her in her own bed...

And, instead, he finds a woman that, even without his weapons, even with him having the element of surprise, manages to hold her ground, defy the "damsel in distress" trope, and give me this instead:

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. That is the face of a woman with just as much of a taste for blood as her would-be killer, and this was the moment in the film where Vega realized he no longer had the upper-hand.

The actual fight is magical, but the lead-in TO the fight was brilliant as well.

kuYuri

So glad to hear a Bluray version is coming soon! I recently popped in the Manga Entertainment DVD from like a decade ago and the transfer does not hold up at all. But at the time, it was the best thing available.

Vega vs Chun might be the most memorable scene, but shit, the way Ryu breaks Fei Long's arm and leg makes me cringe every time I watch it.

Such a great fight scene.

Aske

I just want to clarify that, AFAIK, the Japanese releases of the film have all been uncensored. Only the pre-Blu-ray international releases have been messed with.

My bad! I was going by this sentence on Wikipedia:

"Two English dubbed versions were released directly to VHS and Laserdisc in 1995 by SMV Enterprises in North America: a tamer PG-13 version, and an unrated cut which contains, among other things, a slightly more revealing shower scene featuring Chun-Li that is still censored from the original Japanese version."

...Which I now realize is saying that, like the UK version, the 'uncut' US version contains most of the shower scene, but it's still not the full version from the Japanese original.

Can't wait to finally see a definitive Blu-ray cut that includes every second of content, in both languages, with both soundtracks. The artwork on the DVD looks gorgeous, by the way.

Ashura

Neo Member
When? Source?

It's tricky because we're waiting for approvals on our extras. Then I have to prep all of the extras. When you have a 2-3 person team doing all the work, it's hard to hit and set dates, but hopefully by second quarter.

Source: Me, I'm the Blu-Ray Producer guy.

Re: Cuts-

So here's what exists. And I know this because I had to figure this out to even try to attempt this release...

Original Japanese Version - Never been edited as far as I know- the most uncut version of the movie. There's only one version of the film. Has the original Japanese synth score. This is the source of our video master.

The audio for this exists only in 2.0 stereo. There is a 5.1 "mix" on the old Manga DVD but this is a fake 5.1 and is not very good.

This was then adapted into english for the US and UK, and here are the differences:

PG-13 US Version - Has the rock music score. Extremely edited. Most blood is cut out, extreme violence, all the nudity from the Chun-Li shower scene. Dialogue doesn't have any 'shits' or 'fucks' in it. This is actually MPAA rated.

The audio for this only exists in 2.0 stereo.

US Unrated Version - Has the rock music score, too. Not as edited, but still has some pretty major edits. All the violence is there, but the Chun-Li shower scene is shortened to remove the breasts. The US version keeps the back and butt shots. As for the rest of the editing, no dialogue is deleted or any of the violence, but many lingering shots are cut out or trimmed to speed up the pace of the movie. For instance, when Ryu runs into the little girl carrying milk in the bazaar and knocks her over, there's a long lingering shot of him looking at the girl stunned that's cut out of the US unrated version. A lot of the silence during Ryu walking with Fei-Long is cut out as well. There are many scenes like this which are trimmed down.

This version doesn't have any 'fucks' in it, but does include dialogue with 'shit' IIRC. The audio for this exists in a 5.1 surround format.

UK Unrated Version - So, in terms of video, this is almost identical to the US Unrated Version, except one major difference: The shower Scene with Chun-Li. Where the US has the butt shot, the UK version has the breasts. So in the UK version, the shot of Chun-Li's butt is missing completely.

The audio for this has two f-bombs as well, though it's otherwise identical to the US Unrated Version. These are Deejay's 'badass motherfucker' and Guile's 'I'll rip your fucking heart out you filthy bastard!' This audio only exists as 2.0 Stereo.

For the Discotek version, I spent about a month re-editing the US Unrated the UK Unrated audio to fill the gaps so it syncs up to the Original Japanese Uncut footage. These will be presented as audio options on the Blu-Ray (and is already available on DVD.)

Hope this clears things up!

Tizoc

Sagat had a very important role in the movie. Being defeated by an exhausted Ryu shows just how strong he and Ryu are. Ryu is the strongest fighter ever and he was tested by Sagat.

Sagat was then bitch slapped and put in his place by Bison. This guy had a good showing against Ryu but wouldn't dare speak his mind against Bison. This shows the audience that Bison is strong as hell.

Boxer had it worse. All he did was roll his Googley eyes off a cliff with Honda.

So he's Piccolo, whoop de whoop.

Maligna

Banned
No, you're absolutely right.

Almost every fighting game anime adaption I've seen - Fatal Fury, Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden, etc. - they all just have completely pointless, gratuitous shower scenes. They have no point. They're just... there. For fanservice.

Chun-li's shower scene actually *gasp!* serves a point. For one, she's not just alone; it's during a scene right after we've been told Vega was sent to kill her. We spend more time with him creeping around the apartment, trying to find the spot for the kill, spying on her... it's a tad sexy to see her, but the scene itself, in context, isn't sexy... it's creepy. It's scary. She's got a blade-wielding killer in her home and she's at her most vulnerable, totally unaware.

It's less "woo anime boobs" and more, well, PSYCHO.

And that's the set-up. She's a girl, alone, in her home, at night, with a psychopath there to murder her in her own bed...

And, instead, he finds a woman that, even without his weapons, even with him having the element of surprise, manages to hold her ground, defy the "damsel in distress" trope, and give me this instead:

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. That is the face of a woman with just as much of a taste for blood as her would-be killer, and this was the moment in the film where Vega realized he no longer had the upper-hand.

The actual fight is magical, but the lead-in TO the fight was brilliant as well.

Nice. I wish I was good with words. I would have put something like this in the OP to get my point across better.

It's tricky because we're waiting for approvals on our extras. Then I have to prep all of the extras. When you have a 2-3 person team doing all the work, it's hard to hit and set dates, but hopefully by second quarter.

So here's what exists. And I know this because I had to figure this out to even try to attempt this release...

Original Japanese Version - Never been edited as far as I know- the most uncut version of the movie. There's only one version of the film. Has the original Japanese synth score. This is the source of our video master.

The audio for this exists only in 2.0 stereo. There is a 5.1 "mix" on the old Manga DVD but this is a fake 5.1 and is not very good.

This was then adapted into english for the US and UK, and here are the differences:

PG-13 US Version - Has the rock music score. Extremely edited. Most blood is cut out, extreme violence, all the nudity from the Chun-Li shower scene. Dialogue doesn't have any 'shits' or 'fucks' in it. This is actually MPAA rated.

US Unrated Version - Has the rock music score, too. Not as edited, but still has some pretty major edits. All the violence is there, but the Chun-Li shower scene is shortened to remove the breasts. The US version keeps the back and butt shots. As for the rest of the editing, no dialogue is deleted or any of the violence, but many lingering shots are cut out or trimmed to speed up the pace of the movie. For instance, when Ryu runs into the little girl carrying milk in the bazaar and knocks her over, there's a long lingering shot of him looking at the girl stunned that's cut out of the US unrated version. A lot of the silence during Ryu walking with Fei-Long is cut out as well. There are many scenes like this which are trimmed down.

This version doesn't have any 'fucks' in it, but does include dialogue with 'shit' IIRC. The audio for this exists in a 5.1 surround format.

UK Unrated Version - So, in terms of video, this is almost identical to the US Unrated Version, except one major difference: The shower Scene with Chun-Li. Where the US has the butt shot, the UK version has the breasts. So in the UK version, the shot of Chun-Li's butt is missing completely.

The audio for this has two f-bombs as well, though it's otherwise identical to the US Unrated Version. These are Deejay's 'badass motherfucker' and Guile's 'I'll rip your fucking heart out you filthy bastard!' This audio only exists as 2.0 Stereo.

For the Discotek version, I spent about a month re-editing the US Unrated the UK Unrated audio to fill the gaps so it syncs up to the Original Japanese Uncut footage. These will be presented as audio options on the Blu-Ray (and is already available on DVD.)

Thanks for this! As a video editor myself I'm really curious as to what elements you have to start from. Do you basically have to re-edit all voice, music and sound effects into the whole film? Including things like music edits to make the songs fit the scenes? For instance, that Chun LI vs Vega scene I posted in the OP features several obvious music edits to the song "Ultra".

Thanks for posting, Brady.

SFII Movie (PG-13 cut) was my first anime, so it is near and dear to my heart. Warms me to see so much fondness for it in this thread. I wish they had done more like it.

The entire movie is made of pure win. I rewatched my original VHS copy so much it kind of broke/demagnetized/whatever. I can't think of any videogame adaptation, be it series or movie, animated or live action, that comes close; in a somewhat distant second place for me would be, coincidentally, another Street Fighter based product, Assassin's Fist.

Isaccard

Bless you and your time for the hard work you're putting into this to make it happen! Thanks for the response! Is there any place we can go to stay updated on this?

Aske

Bless you and your time for the hard work you're putting into this to make it happen! Thanks for the response! Is there any place we can go to stay updated on this?

Seconded! I didn't see a mailing list to subscribe to on the Discotek website.

farisr

Absolutely love this movie. My VHS copy got worn out due to how many times I watched it.
OMG, the video quality looks so good compared to what I have right now. And the fact that it's completely uncut and being handled properly from the few posts I've seen in this thread. Can't wait for this. Day 1 purchase.

Yoooooooo. I forgot how dope this and other anime were back then. Wonder if Capcom can put that track in a future SF game.
That anime is underrated I remember watching it on vcr back in the day
I prefer Street Fighter II V.
I liked the anime was ryu,Ken and chun having an adventure very FFXV-ish with Ken just ballin cause he got that money. Will rewatch now damn you OP
Great, you guys just resulted in me taking out my dvd set, currently in the process of ripping to my computer so I don't have to change discs while marathoning it. LOL.
the Street Fighter TV cartoon is getting reissued also. But Blu-ray is a bit trickier, and Discotek can only put out so much per year. Unfortunately, long-term plans are above my pay grade.
By reissue you mean the dvds basically being reprinted without rework/remastering done? And which one are you talking about. The US cartoon or the japanese anime (2V)?

Maligna

Banned
Just because I can, I thought I'd share the fact this movie has a very bizarre "spin-off" by much of the same animated movie team.

Street Fighter II Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyou

It's just an educational short film where Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, and E. Honda go back in time and learn about Japanese history. It's really bizarre.
46499.jpg

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

This is amazing. Never thought I'd see more footage with these character models.

Erigu

Original Japanese Version - Never been edited as far as I know- the most uncut version of the movie. There's only one version of the film.
Hmm... Yes and no. The movie was also included in Hyper Street Fighter II (December 2003), and the shower scene was edited in that version (I imagine they had to follow specific guidelines).

Ashura

Neo Member
Thanks for this! As a video editor myself I'm really curious as to what elements you have to start from. Do you basically have to re-edit all voice, music and sound effects into the whole film? Including things like music edits to make the songs fit the scenes? For instance, that Chun LI vs Vega scene I posted in the OP features several obvious music edits to the song "Ultra".

We have an HD version of the movie in Japanese, and for the audio we were able to source a number of things.

For the UK Unrated Cut we were able to find a Digibeta of the final mix (though with two areas of deterioration) and for the US Unrated 5.1 we found a D88 Tape with the uncompressed 5.1 mix on it. The 5.1 has the M&Es fairly well isolated, though they're mixed onto one another (music + soundeffects together). I DID manage to find the SFX track from the Japanese version not married to the music.

So I had the very unwelcome task of having to work from materials where the dialogue is mixed down onto the music & effects. What I first did is I took the uncut Japanese master and then laid the UK Unrated version beside it. Then I cut the video and synced it to the uncut- adding gaps where audio didn't exist. Luckily in the case of this movie, all the deleted scenes didn't feature any actual dialogue, and the music in the English version is fairly abstract, so I was able to loop in sections and fill the gaps in where it sounds right. After doing that, I went back to the music and effects and added in missing SFX reworked the bits of audio until it was seamless.

All in all it took me about 3 months off-and to do for both tracks, but this is my side job so maybe it was like 1 month of full time editing and checking.

Aske

Damn that's a lot of work. Clearly a huge labour of love. I imagine tracking down the more obscure audio sources was no mean feat either. From one fan to another, thank you for putting in those hours. Can't wait for the BD!

I don't understand why people all of a sudden consider "censorship" to be some government fascist only term. That is wrong, by definition. And whenever this is brought up in censorship threads, it gets conveniently ignored or dismissed for no reason other than "well that's not how I see it".
This censorship be because it is to keep in line with rating guidelines controlled by the government. If they did not change it there would be a penalty in form a higher rating. If there is no real reason outside of how the public will view it then it is not technically censorship. For example the R mika scene would never get its rating raised so they were never forced to change it. They did so because they thought more people would like it this way. The definition does not specify that the government has to be the reason for a change, but it does say that it has to be changed either by officials or by official request. This would not include people may not like it. This based on Google's definition of censorship

Maligna

Banned
We have an HD version of the movie in Japanese, and for the audio we were able to source a number of things.

For the UK Unrated Cut we were able to find a Digibeta of the final mix (though with two areas of deterioration) and for the US Unrated 5.1 we found a D88 Tape with the uncompressed 5.1 mix on it. The 5.1 has the M&Es fairly well isolated, though they're mixed onto one another (music + soundeffects together). I DID manage to find the SFX track from the Japanese version not married to the music.

So I had the very unwelcome task of having to work from materials where the dialogue is mixed down onto the music & effects. What I first did is I took the uncut Japanese master and then laid the UK Unrated version beside it. Then I cut the video and synced it to the uncut- adding gaps where audio didn't exist. Luckily in the case of this movie, all the deleted scenes didn't feature any actual dialogue, and the music in the English version is fairly abstract, so I was able to loop in sections and fill the gaps in where it sounds right. After doing that, I went back to the music and effects and added in missing SFX reworked the bits of audio until it was seamless.

All in all it took me about 3 months off-and to do for both tracks, but this is my side job so maybe it was like 1 month of full time editing and checking.

Wow! Thanks very much for replying with the behind the scenes info. This stuff fascinates me.

Ashura

Neo Member
Seconded! I didn't see a mailing list to subscribe to on the Discotek website.

Not to self plug too much but I post a lot of updates about what I'm working on on my twitter, here: https://twitter.com/ashuraou

And I'll definitely be posting more SFII there soon, hopefully. I also work for Labzero games as UI Designer/Production Artist so I post about that too, sometimes.

You can also follow DiscotekMedia on twitter here for general updates: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia

We recently did a new ultimate edition of IGPX and we're working on finishing up Magic Knight Rayearth and Darkstalkers right now.

Moraizen

I suggest reading previous posts in this thread for more info, in which the announcement trailer was posted and I posted an estimated release time frame.

Thanks! I'll let Brady know you liked it. :)

Any plans for an European Blu-Ray release? If not, will this be region free? I really need this movie in my life, I kept renting the VHS over and over at the local video club back in the day. I still get the shivers from that Chun-Li fight, so good!

As a curiosity, and just to make sure I didn't misread anything, are you planning on making an option to combine Japanese voices + US soundtrack? I am seriously conflicted about which version is better and I don't think there is a right answer, in my opinion both the explosive "americanized" version and the melancholic original have their own individual merits... So whynotboth.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
Oh man, such a nostalgic thread and all those GIFs!

Love, love this movie. Would watch it almost every day as a kid back in 1995. Them Bones!

bryanee

Not to self plug too much but I post a lot of updates about what I'm working on on my twitter, here: https://twitter.com/ashuraou

And I'll definitely be posting more SFII there soon, hopefully. I also work for Labzero games as UI Designer/Production Artist so I post about that too, sometimes.

You can also follow DiscotekMedia on twitter here for general updates: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia

We recently did a new ultimate edition of IGPX and we're working on finishing up Magic Knight Rayearth and Darkstalkers right now.

I have one question. Will it be region free? Please don't let me suffer with that uk Blu-ray that came out a little while ago.

Keep up the good work.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fantastic info, Ashura. Really looking forward to the release.

This censorship be because it is to keep in line with rating guidelines controlled by the government. If they did not change it there would be a penalty in form a higher rating. If there is no real reason outside of how the public will view it then it is not technically censorship. For example the R mika scene would never get its rating raised so they were never forced to change it. They did so because they thought more people would like it this way. The definition does not specify that the government has to be the reason for a change, but it does say that it has to be changed either by officials or by official request. This would not include people may not like it. This based on Google's definition of censorship

According to Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censoring)
Censorship is "the institution, system, or practice of censoring"

Censor can be "a hypothetical psychic agency that represses unacceptable notions before they reach consciousness"

It doesn't have to be an official or by official request. The definition of censor is far broader than some people actually think.

onQ123

That's Balrog we have all been lied to because Capcom didn't want to get sued for making a Mike Tyson clone in their game lol.

Ashura

Neo Member
Any plans for an European Blu-Ray release?

Manga video in Europe has the license and already released the movie there. The video quality is great, but the English audio they used was the censored version. So it's not quite an optimal release.

If not, will this be region free?

I don't know what the contract says. Generally I think we keep things region free unless the contract specifies it has to be locked. Sorry I can't give you a better answer. :(

As a curiosity, and just to make sure I didn't misread anything, are you planning on making an option to combine Japanese voices + US soundtrack?

Japanese + the US music is impossible with the materials we have. I do not have access to the isolated voices on the Japanese side.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know we had that many Discotek staff on GAF. There is awesome info ITT.

Fantastic info, Ashura. Really looking forward to the release.

According to Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censoring)
Censorship is "the institution, system, or practice of censoring"

Censor can be "a hypothetical psychic agency that represses unacceptable notions before they reach consciousness"

It doesn't have to be an official or by official request. The definition of censor is far broader than some people actually think.
The other relevant definition does how ever state that censorship would be preformed by officials. Also the definitions you chose to relate to it refers to withholding information as a form of censorship. Which would never be revelent when discussing visual media. Its not as broad as you think, censorship is a means of controlling information or content and preventing the spread of it. A theatrical release of a movie would not automatically be considered a censored version of a directors cut but if cuts were made to meet guideline set by OFFICIALS it would be.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The other relevant definition does how ever state that censorship would be preformed by officials. Also the definitions you chose to relate to it refers to withholding information as a form of censorship. Which would never be revelent when discussing visual media. Its not as broad as you think, censorship is a means of controlling information or content and preventing the spread of it. A theatrical release of a movie would not automatically be considered a censored version of a directors cut but if cuts were made to meet guideline set by OFFICIALS it would be.

But you're just citing another valid definition. That doesn't take away from the isolated definition that I chose. Note the "or". It's inclusive, not exclusive.

Let's take another base definition on the same page:
"the system or practice of examining writings or movies and taking out things considered offensive or immoral"

That's pretty clear cut to me, even if you didn't like my first choice.

Moraizen

Manga video in Europe has the license and already released the movie there. The video quality is great, but the English audio they used was the censored version. So it's not quite an optimal release.

I don't know what the contract says. Generally I think we keep things region free unless the contract specifies it has to be locked. Sorry I can't give you a better answer. :(

Japanese + the US music is impossible with the materials we have. I do not have access to the isolated voices on the Japanese side.

Thank you for the honest reply :^)
Shame about the Japanese voices issue, but completely understandable. The hard work you're putting into the project deserves to be rewarded, so as soon as (or if) the disk is confirmed to be region free, you can count on me to throw some Bison Dollars at it, and I bet many others here will do the same.

Keep up the good work!

Atolm

Man they don't make animes like this one anymore. I remember watching it for the first time in 1997, I got it from a video collection that bundled it with the Fatal Fury movie. Best bundle ever. It even got a TV ad that showed the shower scene almost in full, as if they were trying to get the attention of the horny teenagers. Well, in my case they certainly did.

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

Hey! That's my old upload. Weird to see it still floating around. I always meant to subtitle it, but life got in the way and now my Japanese has gone to shit.

Now that I a here I guess I should share this highlight of one of the martial arts advisers of the movie, the late great Andy Hug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOIzDxzwcI

One of the early stars of K1. You can really see his Kyokushin Karate influence in the punchers Ryu and Ken throw.

Top Bottom