• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

Hadoukie

That shower scene. Saw dat ass and I was done.

Surprisingly decent movie, considering most based off fighting games are crap.

BreakAtmo

Manga video in Europe has the license and already released the movie there. The video quality is great, but the English audio they used was the censored version. So it's not quite an optimal release.

I don't know what the contract says. Generally I think we keep things region free unless the contract specifies it has to be locked. Sorry I can't give you a better answer. :(

Japanese + the US music is impossible with the materials we have. I do not have access to the isolated voices on the Japanese side.

Firstly, thanks for all your hard work, I desperately want this. The thing is that I'm in Australia, so to add to the region question - if your disc can't be region-free, I was curious about how an Australian version could be made. Madman Australia has the rights, I believe - would they have to do a deal or partnership of some kind letting them use your high-quality version of the film? What would need to happen for a locally-sold Aussie disc?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So did Brian Cranston do all of Fei Longs lines? Even all the WATAs and such in the fight?

R-User!

Damn that's a lot of work. Clearly a huge labour of love. I imagine tracking down the more obscure audio sources was no mean feat either. From one fan to another, thank you for putting in those hours. Can't wait for the BD!

I echo these sentiments!

Aske

While I prefer the Japanese dub and atmospheric soundtrack, I quite dig Cory Lerios original music on the US dub as well. Pretty good step up from his work on Baywatch and Thunder in Paradise.

Those Cory Lerios tracks are mind-blowing. To me, his music in the movie is Street Fighter. He absolutely nailed it. I don't really think of the Grunge/Metal soundtrack when I think of this movie; I think of his original score,

Really looking forward to watching with the Japanese soundtrack again though. I barely remember it, but when I finally saw it the music on the English version had been tattooed into my brain so many times it never really stood a chance at supplanting it.

nkarafo

I absolutely HATE anime in general but i love this movie OP. And a few others, mostly 80's/90's movies and a few OVAs. And only 1 TV series.

Didn't know it was this good. Will give it a watch.

Are the other anime SF movies any good?

Don't bother. After I bought this and watched it when it came out on DVD, I figured the Alpha movie would be just as kick ass. Boy was I wrong. I was so upset with it, I took it back to the store and lied in an attempt to get a refund.

I haven't watched more than a few clips on YouTube, but check out Street Fighter 2 V (v as in victory). The style is similar to this movie and the fights are still kind of badass. Watch the Ryu vs Guile fight in the bar, for starters. I can't stand the bullshit anime of today and the total lack of noses and the ' moe' look. Garbage. 90s anime is the best anime.

nkarafo

I can't stand the bullshit anime of today and the total lack of noses and the ' moe' look. Garbage. 90s anime is the best anime.
Preach.

Well, at least some good looking movies exist like Red Line. Story sucks but the animation reminds me of the 80's/90's highly detailed animation and great looking character designs.

And humans with noses.

HStallion

You're goddamn right.

That is pretty funny and I can imagine the recording sessions being hilarious.

Director to Cranston,"No No No! You aren't nearly shrill enough! Imagine you have just been kicked in the nuts and you are about to kick the perpetrator's ass! That's the kind of WATA I want from you Brian!"

HStallion

It would have been cool to have gotten a sequel of the same caliber with Akuma as the main threat. Could have also added in a few new characters or given others larger roles. End it with a big flashy fight between Ryu and Akuma maybe with a Volcano exploding right next to them.

Aske

Just because I can, I thought I'd share the fact this movie has a very bizarre "spin-off" by much of the same animated movie team.

Street Fighter II Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyou

It's just an educational short film where Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, and E. Honda go back in time and learn about Japanese history. It's really bizarre.
46499.jpg

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

I know it's perishingly unlikely, but there's no way this is an extra on the Blu-ray is there?

The Kree

Banned
I always wanted that guy Ryu headbutted at the beginning of the Fei Long fight to appear in one of the games at some point.

iLLmAtlc

I'm buying if it's the Japanese audio. They changed the soundtracks for my favourite parts completely: when Ken was meditating near the end and also the Bison fight.

Syril

Didn't the kikouken appear in the later SFII instalments?
It was originally in Hyper Fighting, but it was made out of reused assets (the animation was taken from one of her punches and the projectile was a blue Yoga Fire). It became Kikouken proper in Super.

Garlador

It always bothered me that Chun didn't levitate when doing Spinning Bird Kick. And that she didn't use kikouken.

Regardless this movie was released AFTER Super Turbo seeing as it has T. hawk and co :p
Chun got her Kiko-ken in the 3rd CPS1 SF2 game IIRC.

It was originally in Hyper Fighting, but it was made out of reused assets (the animation was taken from one of her punches and the projectile was a blue Yoga Fire). It became Kikouken proper in Super.

Trivia time!

They actually were going to do the Kiko-ken and partially animated it. It was cut for pacing reasons and partially restored in the Sega Saturn game-ified version of the movie.

Aske

Trivia time!

They actually were going to do the Kiko-ken and partially animated it. It was cut for pacing reasons and partially restored in the Sega Saturn game-ified version of the movie.

That's fascinating! I always thought it was because they put ki-based fireballs on such a high pedestal: Ken and Ryu only.

What's with the changes in the dub? In the VHS dub version I owned Vega said "You Bitch I'll make you suffer!" in this version it's changed to "Witch"

They've also made weird cuts to the music in this version.

It's tricky because we're waiting for approvals on our extras. Then I have to prep all of the extras. When you have a 2-3 person team doing all the work, it's hard to hit and set dates, but hopefully by second quarter.

Source: Me, I'm the Blu-Ray Producer guy.

Re: Cuts-

So here's what exists. And I know this because I had to figure this out to even try to attempt this release...

Original Japanese Version - Never been edited as far as I know- the most uncut version of the movie. There's only one version of the film. Has the original Japanese synth score. This is the source of our video master.

The audio for this exists only in 2.0 stereo. There is a 5.1 "mix" on the old Manga DVD but this is a fake 5.1 and is not very good.

This was then adapted into english for the US and UK, and here are the differences:

PG-13 US Version - Has the rock music score. Extremely edited. Most blood is cut out, extreme violence, all the nudity from the Chun-Li shower scene. Dialogue doesn't have any 'shits' or 'fucks' in it. This is actually MPAA rated.

The audio for this only exists in 2.0 stereo.

US Unrated Version - Has the rock music score, too. Not as edited, but still has some pretty major edits. All the violence is there, but the Chun-Li shower scene is shortened to remove the breasts. The US version keeps the back and butt shots. As for the rest of the editing, no dialogue is deleted or any of the violence, but many lingering shots are cut out or trimmed to speed up the pace of the movie. For instance, when Ryu runs into the little girl carrying milk in the bazaar and knocks her over, there's a long lingering shot of him looking at the girl stunned that's cut out of the US unrated version. A lot of the silence during Ryu walking with Fei-Long is cut out as well. There are many scenes like this which are trimmed down.

This version doesn't have any 'fucks' in it, but does include dialogue with 'shit' IIRC. The audio for this exists in a 5.1 surround format.

UK Unrated Version - So, in terms of video, this is almost identical to the US Unrated Version, except one major difference: The shower Scene with Chun-Li. Where the US has the butt shot, the UK version has the breasts. So in the UK version, the shot of Chun-Li's butt is missing completely.

The audio for this has two f-bombs as well, though it's otherwise identical to the US Unrated Version. These are Deejay's 'badass motherfucker' and Guile's 'I'll rip your fucking heart out you filthy bastard!' This audio only exists as 2.0 Stereo.

For the Discotek version, I spent about a month re-editing the US Unrated the UK Unrated audio to fill the gaps so it syncs up to the Original Japanese Uncut footage. These will be presented as audio options on the Blu-Ray (and is already available on DVD.)

Hope this clears things up!

Wow. Awesome. And thanks for the explanation. Will buy for sure.

So I'm not sure which one I saw. It released on DVD when I was around 15 years old here in the US so maybe 15 years ago.

Had English audio with Alice in Chains and others. I remember it was pretty bloody and also had the nude shower scene with butt and breasts I believe.

Edit: someone here is producing the official blu ray version? I'll buy that shit in a second. One of the best anime films of all time.

Just because I can, I thought I'd share the fact this movie has a very bizarre "spin-off" by much of the same animated movie team.

Street Fighter II Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyou

It's just an educational short film where Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, and E. Honda go back in time and learn about Japanese history. It's really bizarre.
46499.jpg

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

Hey! That's my old upload. Weird to see it still floating around. I always meant to subtitle it, but life got in the way and now my Japanese has gone to shit.

Now that I a here I guess I should share this highlight of one of the martial arts advisers of the movie, the late great Andy Hug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOIzDxzwcI

One of the early stars of K1. You can really see his Kyokushin Karate influence in the punchers Ryu and Ken throw.

Because I obsessed over this movie as a kid, I was always amused there was an interactive movie game based on the film. It was, by all impressions, a terrible game... but it had more animation, and I just loved the anime models used.
Street Fighter Movie Game Intro

Trivia time!

chunli6.jpg

This is why I love NeoGaf

The gift that keeps on giving, decades later.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your past, present and future work (and/or finds of lost material).

I'm buying if it's the Japanese audio. They changed the soundtracks for my favourite parts completely: when Ken was meditating near the end and also the Bison fight.

Samples are right here illmatic
Posted a quick little preview up on twitter that people might like.

https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/693687159035957248

Also, hmmm.

https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/675522586265190403

Edit: Eng dub/JPN OST (Not sure if that's what you meant).

This Blu-Ray release just became my most anticipated purchase.

Like I needed another resin to love Lab Zero Games...
Thanks Ashura and Discotek crew.

J-Skee

That's fascinating! I always thought it was because they put ki-based fireballs on such a high pedestal: Ken and Ryu only.

They treated the Hadoukens in this movie like the Spirit Bomb. Sparingly used & only when the situation called for it. At the very least an extremely powerful Kamehemeha.

Ashura

Neo Member
Trivia time!

Wow, this is great. What's the source of the info that it was animated for the movie and ultimately cut?

How much do you know about the production of the movie? Is there any source out there for production info? We picked up the original movie program and plan to translate some of it to try to figure out some of the production info, but if you know of any other required reading I'd sure appreciate it.

Also, do you know if the Saturn/PS1 game's cutscenes were ever released anywhere else in higher quality?

Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.

Will it also include the Japanese language/OST?

Garlador

Wow, this is great. What's the source of the info that it was animated for the movie and ultimately cut?
I was going off the top of my head from old material I read long, long ago.

That said, the modern Street Fighter wiki is a treasure-trove of info and trivia. I just checked it out and it's got plenty of info and references.
Street Fighter II The Animated Movie Wiki

How much do you know about the production of the movie? Is there any source out there for production info? We picked up the original movie program and plan to translate some of it to try to figure out some of the production info, but if you know of any other required reading I'd sure appreciate it.
Most of the info I have came from the "Magnificent World of Chun-li" book by Ooshima Yasuhiro.
I'm pretty sure I can't post any links to all the scans, but you can probably find the whole thing scanned if you look hard enough. It's got a TON of stuff with the cast and crew behind the Chun-li vs. Vega fight, character models, storyboards, and a whole lot more.

Also, do you know if the Saturn/PS1 game's cutscenes were ever released anywhere else in higher quality?

Not to my knowledge.

This video has some examples of the modified or extra footage with some good commentary included, if that whets your appetite.
Street Fighter II Movie PS1/Saturn

Crayon

Omg you guys the nostalgia. I actually just watched this about a year ago. I guess like alot of you, I was a kid when this came out and I was completely obsessed with street fighter.

Street Fighter is a lifelong love of mine, but there's nothing like being so young and consumed with desire to be the best.

We got this movie imported from my friend's family in the Philippines, so we saw Chun's boobs. They were Glorious.

New002

This is why I love NeoGaf

The gift that keeps on giving, decades later.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your past, present and future work (and/or finds of lost material).

Samples are right here illmatic

Edit: Eng dub/JPN OST (Not sure if that's what you meant).

This Blu-Ray release just became my most anticipated purchase.

Like I needed another resin to love Lab Zero Games...
Thanks Ashura and Discotek crew.

Amazing. I love this movie so much. This and Curse of the blood rubies were my first two anime VHStapes and I watched them over and over. I still watch SFII fairly regularly. I will be picking up this BluRay ASAP.

Aske

I want to live in the Magnificent World of Chun-Li.

What's with the changes in the dub? In the VHS dub version I owned Vega said "You Bitch I'll make you suffer!" in this version it's changed to "Witch"

They've also made weird cuts to the music in this version.

Hold on, they cut Vega's best line in the movie?

"My beautiful face is ruined! You bitch I'll make you suffer!"

Top Bottom