• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

MagnesD3

So basically the chart is almost useless?
Pretty much yeah lol, all you had to do was hit intermediate or advanced in that placement thing and win a certain amount of those first 10 and it would send you straight to gold, plat or diamond.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I may use modern for Lily in the long run. I'm definitely stronger with using it despite losing 20% damage. I simply cannot use command grab the same without it currently. I miss the execution at crucial moments too much ticking into it still. The only reason I haven't yet is because I ultimately don't care, not like im going pro or anything.

In other news, CEO 2023 is happening right now. Big tournament for SF6 that includes big name players from DBFZ, GG, MK and Tekken. Sadly those players are just U.S and EU(also Pakistan if you include Arslan Ash). So no Japan and that will be a theme for Capcom Tour as well since Capcom didn't incentivize travel and went the diversity route.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Apparently the Buckler Ranking site (via Capcom themselves) is showing the following

* 4,288 master ranked players
* 27,796 diamond
* 147,864 platinum
* 153,695 gold
* 202,817 silver
* 154,574 bronze
* 162,391 iron
* 88,814 rookie

This is current as of today. I couldn’t verify it myself because I’m getting a 404 when I follow the link. But this was posted in another forum. The data I posted was dated 6/13

Looks like a similar distribution overall. Obviously more people have entered master rank, but I’d imagine % wise it’s still roughly the same.

Edit
@[Sigma]
Nice, thanks for heads up about CEO, will be checking that out later for sure.

amigastar amigastar
It’s just data showing where players are. That’s it. Not sure what your damage is. It’s interesting to see. No holy grail moment, no huge epiphany needed. Just some data to look at.

Last edited:

amigastar

Nah, let’s make it personal and settle it in game, will add fuel to the fire 😈
FT10 anytime this weekend, we can post the video here too.

im not that angry, but this would be a fun match since we’re seemingly at odds here.
I can tell you already you will win since i'm atrociously bad at the game, lol :messenger_winking:
Have fun.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Interesting chart. I don't know which rank i am since i've not played ranked at all. Never thought there would be so many Gold ranked and Platinum.
People who are good and play often will have several high ranked characters. If we were able to adjust this chart so each player is represented only once, it might have the usual distribution as any other ranked game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, I redeemed my Chipotle rewards for 250 fighter coins and now it says you can't use it for the Steam version... only console versions. Ugh.

SCB3

Why are you acting like Modern controls are like an insta win button or something? That's scrubby on your part lol. Modern have massive drawbacks like losing many of your moves (Manon loses her antiairs flat out), and you do less damage as a drawback.

The control schemes are 100% balanced and hell the best Ryu player (a Japanese tournament legend whose name escapes me) is one of the top 10 in master rank, and he uses modern. And even on classic he'd pulverize all members of this forum.
Yea the a balance, Gief is OP on Modern imo as his Grabs are super easy to do now, whereas before there was some hard to do ones, but Manon like you said loses so much from Modern

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Ugh, I redeemed my Chipotle rewards for 250 fighter coins and now it says you can't use it for the Steam version... only console versions. Ugh.
Was wondering about this. You can just get anything there and get the coins? Gonna grab some food later and might as well get chipotle to get the coins.

PWDY8AE.jpg

Rac3r

I wish they added more customization outside of the world-tour stuff. There should be unlockable voice lines and animations for every character's fight intro, round win, and/or victory pose. The game hasn't been out long and I'm already tired of the same one-liners and animations between rounds in every online battle. Feels like a wasted opportunity, especially since they already have a battle pass.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Apparently the Buckler Ranking site (via Capcom themselves) is showing the following

* 4,288 master ranked players
* 27,796 diamond
* 147,864 platinum
* 153,695 gold
* 202,817 silver
* 154,574 bronze
* 162,391 iron
* 88,814 rookie

This is current as of today. I couldn’t verify it myself because I’m getting a 404 when I follow the link. But this was posted in another forum. The data I posted was dated 6/13

Looks like a similar distribution overall. Obviously more people have entered master rank, but I’d imagine % wise it’s still roughly the same.

Edit
@[Sigma]
Nice, thanks for heads up about CEO, will be checking that out later for sure.

amigastar amigastar
It’s just data showing where players are. That’s it. Not sure what your damage is. It’s interesting to see. No holy grail moment, no huge epiphany needed. Just some data to look at.
the fact that most of the players are in silver.... i'm not even a rookie

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
CEO was hype, tons of great matches… BUT …
Having a Blanka win the first major just feels wrong lol. Not looking forward to the flood of Blankas online in the next week. Ugh. He’s always been so annoying to deal with and Capcom decided to make him good in this game. Smh. Great.

[Sigma]

Having a Blanka win the first major just feels wrong lol. Not looking forward to the flood of Blankas online in the next week. Ugh. He’s always been so annoying to deal with and Capcom decided to make him good in this game. Smh. Great.
lol Mena a menace Blanka. Got the Luke/Blanka combo to cover matchups. He wasn't the only good Blanka I saw, Coach Steve had a good one too. Blanka got some nasty setups. There was definitely plenty of fun matches. Caba looked unbeatable in spots but nerves definitely got to him. JWong pressed the wrong button a couple times and it cost him too.

Im only sad about Japan and others not traveling, which is going to be a theme unfortunately.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
lol Mena a menace Blanka. Got the Luke/Blanka combo to cover matchups. He wasn't the only good Blanka I saw, Coach Steve had a good one too. Blanka got some nasty setups. There was definitely plenty of fun matches. Caba looked unbeatable in spots but nerves definitely got to him. JWong pressed the wrong button a couple times and it cost him too.
Ya, Caba really impressed me. So good, so clutch.

I was really hoping JWong would beat punk, but the match was hype and fun to watch. Good shit. Overall a great event. Can’t wait for the first international major.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Alright, this week is Ryu week!

Guile week was fun, he’s good for sure, but I definitely had problems with characters who could bypass his zoning. Also, projectiles not doing chip until burnout really makes spamming them a bit pointless, I mean I guess it eats drive gauge, but all the good players just parry them all anyway.

Edit
I guess Ryu is my new fastest platinum, since I got placed there. Lol
Time to get demoted! Yay 😭😭😭

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Jimmy getting time in the sun feels right.

Naked Lunch

I go back and forth on this game - but im now convinced this is the most complex Street Fighter has ever been - and thats a good thing.
The interesting thing is - it can still be enjoyed and played well at lower tiered levels. Really, somehow, they struck that balance.

For intermediate and above, theres so much to think about at all moments of the game - it can get overwhelming. The risk/reward of the drive gauge is brilliant game design.
Just the simple fact that crush counters open up new combos not otherwise obtainable - really hammers the complexity down.

But most of all - it seems people can play almost every character in completely different ways. This wasnt always the case in Street Fighter. I play alot of DeeJay and Honda and im seeing wildly different playstyles for both. Really rad.
I mentioned a page or so back that green drive rush combos were impossible for me - but 2 weeks later - and im learning how to execute those.
SF6 is a constant learning and adapting experience.

I saw that Maximillion YT made a similar recent video to what im talking about "Is SF6 too difficult?" - so I guess im not alone.

Watching SF4 and 5 videos again you can really see the "Ono" in those games - which was getting stale.
Nice to see newblood developing the Street Fighter franchise - and I would love to see this exact team finally take on Capcom vs SNK 3.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
After the first open beta I kept hearing how DI was “dumbing down” the game, and now we’re getting videos like the one Max made, asking if the game is too hard? Lmfao

Naked Lunch

After the first open beta I kept hearing how DI was “dumbing down” the game, and now we’re getting videos like the one Max made, asking if the game is too hard? Lmfao
At face value, DI does seem cheap - and for me at least - it took some seriously learning curve. Retraining my Street Fighter brain.
But eventually you learn to anticipate it and know how to counter it.
But the DI is just one small piece to the million other things happening at once in SF6.

[Sigma]

Conversation started on twitter with some pros complaining that the game was too hard. Max and others of course had to make content out of it lol. I blame the great dumbing down for it in some ways lol. People got too comfortable with that trend.

Last edited:
This game feels like the easiest to play for me, but that doesn't necessarily mean the easiest to win. It certainly has its intricacies, but over all it just feels a bit more "relaxed". I still don't like the fact that they took corner cross ups away, or simplified wake up, or gave everyone the same health, or reverted DP properties from what they did in SFV. I do like the Drive System though, but I don't think it would have made the game THAT much more difficult if they left all of that in along with Drive mechanics. I'm still having a ton of fun with it though, and I'm excited to see how it evolved. This is still only step one of a game that will last at least 5 years along with drastic updates and mechanic changes. Hell, it's not even month one yet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The more I think about it, the more this is my most disappointing purchase of 2023 so far. I'm not really into fighting games, especially their competitive online aspects. I thought the single player World Tour looked fun, but I found it to be super weird: everyone (guys and gals) was effeminate and off-putting.

Glad people are enjoying it, but man this just isn't for me.

amigastar

The more I think about it, the more this is my most disappointing purchase of 2023 so far. I'm not really into fighting games, especially their competitive online aspects. I thought the single player World Tour looked fun, but I found it to be super weird: everyone (guys and gals) was effeminate and off-putting.

Glad people are enjoying it, but man this just isn't for me.
I suck also at them, being competitive is stressful for me. But i haven't given up yet.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Conversation started on twitter with some pros complaining that the game was too hard. Max and others of course had to make content out of it lol. I blame the great dumbing down for it in some ways lol. People got too comfortable with that trend.
Which pros were saying it’s too hard? This is all news to me. Because that sounds a lot like scrub talk.

Like… 6 is too hard but 3s is hailed as the greatest game ever? 🤔

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Which pros were saying it’s too hard? This is all news to me. Because that sounds a lot like scrub talk.

Like… 6 is too hard but 3s is hailed as the greatest game ever? 🤔
It's more so the work people don't want to do it seems these days. I don't remember the exact person who really kicked it off. Arslan did mention it but you know he's coming from a newer player perspective and he really wasn't meaning anything behind it. Cool Kid mentioned it a one point and it kinda became a topic. Most it wasn't negative in regards to the game being hard. I loved Docta Afrikan's quotes about it though lol.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Forgot to mention that CR Cup blew up lol. Daigo had the biggest stream in FGC history and SF6 was trending #1 on twitch. Someone definitely needs to try something like that over here.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Just got a leverless after using a stick forever. My execution was never great so I decided to try this. Going to take some getting used to.
It was so foreign to me when I tried hitbox. I got used to it a little bit but not enough to buy it from a my friend who let me try it out to see if I wanted it(he ended up selling on Ebay I think). It's hard to teach this old dog new tricks.😢

Alright, this week is Ryu week!

Guile week was fun, he’s good for sure, but I definitely had problems with characters who could bypass his zoning. Also, projectiles not doing chip until burnout really makes spamming them a bit pointless, I mean I guess it eats drive gauge, but all the good players just parry them all anyway.

Edit
I guess Ryu is my new fastest platinum, since I got placed there. Lol
Time to get demoted! Yay 😭😭😭
Nice. Just got to gold rank with Chun li, Guile and Ryu. Trying to decide who to try to go for platinum with. Maybe Chun li?

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Nice. Just got to gold rank with Chun li, Guile and Ryu. Trying to decide who to try to go for platinum with. Maybe Chun li?
I’ve been slowing working my way back down to Gold with Ryu lol feels great 😬

I’ve had my eyes on Chun, low forward is so powerful. Guile like I said is solid. You really have to learn some cancel combos with him tho, because without it your only sources of damage are booms and flash kick. His normals while great, seem extra susceptible to DI, he’s definitely not an auto pilot character imo. He’s not bad by any means, but you’ve got to be aggressive with him if you want to get past gold/platinum

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
It's more so the work people don't want to do it seems these days. I don't remember the exact person who really kicked it off. Arslan did mention it but you know he's coming from a newer player perspective and he really wasn't meaning anything behind it. Cool Kid mentioned it a one point and it kinda became a topic. Most it wasn't negative in regards to the game being hard. I loved Docta Afrikan's quotes about it though lol.
Ok, so none of the actual top SF players said this. Gotcha lolololol

Edit.
Shit, didn’t mean to double post

Last edited:

nikos

It was so foreign to me when I tried hitbox. I got used to it a little bit but not enough to buy it from a my friend who let me try it out to see if I wanted it(he ended up selling on Ebay I think). It's hard to teach this old dog new tricks.😢

What's making it even more foreign is the size and style of the buttons. Going with a shiokenstar layout with Sanwa buttons would have made things easier. I'm trying to stick with it for now, it just sucks losing matches I'd normally be winning.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Ugh, terrible night. I suck with Ryu, still holding on to that Plat but barely….

Also, just me or are the connection errors getting worse? Had 5 connection errors tonight, 4 of which were during matches I was winning, SO FUN. Didn’t come off as someone pulling the plug, somehow Capcom made good netcode for playing but it’s unstable as fuck. Been present since the game dropped but tonight it was dropping regularly. Extremely frustrating.

Edit.
Agree with Diago, it isn’t comparable. 5 was garbage.
xo8ECJ6.jpg

Last edited:

Paltheos

Practiced Guile for a bit. Went from losing 10 games in a row a few days ago to winning 7 in a row tonight. My Guile's still butt but I'm getting the feel for allot of his buttons. 6HP seems weaker than in SF4 though - long startup. I've been relying on most of his kick buttons except for combo continuations or AA.

Also played a set with a friend of mine tonight - My Ryu vs. his Marisa. Last time we played I was probably favored 6:4 against him. Tonight I wrecked him pretty hard: 4 perfects throughout and an 8 win streak before he had to bail to join a Wild Hearts session. Part of it is from spending time in training mode hammering combos and learning to maximize punish counter hits. 5HK Punish Counter, walk up HP Shoryu is something I enjoyed fishing for. Getting the most out of my 5MPs is something I've practiced too. I already had 5MP, 2MP xx some special move down, but I've worked on getting the most out of 5MP, 2MP xx OD Donkey Kick combos --> HP Shoryu/Lv.1 Super/Lv.2 Super/(MK Donkey Kick xx Lv.3 Super) I worked on hitting consistently (and I got the longest version once in our matches).

I think I need to use Hatsugeki more. Most of my grounded pokes are the old 2MK xx Hadoken which isn't always safe (and not a string if you're not using HP Hadoken even if it's safer). One combo I learned that's been largely useless 2LK, 2LP xx OD Hadoken, Lv.1 Super, because I love my meaties and Ryu's MPs are so good (and because the level 1 hits mid-screen only if you start the combo up very close).

Right now I'm feeling Cammy so I'm hitting training mode.

Labolas

I will say that one thing that fucks me up with Cammy is holding down her heavy specials, I would go crouching MK xx Heavy Spiral Arrow and I would get her held down version. A very bad habit of mine that needs to be adjusted.

Also I find the discussion of 6 being too hilarious because I find the game relatively easy to understand and is easy to follow unlike something like Tekken 7 or KOF15.

[Sigma]

Redbull Kumite 2023 happening right now. Well LCQ in particular(main stage of players who got invited starts tomorrow). The most international play right now for SF6 even though it's invite only(outside of LCQ which doesn't seem to have many international players in it). The only notables in LCQ that I recognized off first glance is Kakeru and EndingWalker. Some players who got invited aren't going to be able to make it like JWong, Arslan, and MenaRD. Akainu, AngryBird and Mono replaced them though. Still, looks like it's going to be a good watch on that end.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I watched the CEO tournament. By the end, I was so fatigued with Juri. Hell, the top 48 only had six different characters in use, with Juri being in almost half the matches. I really hope this changes.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Ya I’m officially trash with Ryu lol

Main problems are, my old habits of wanting to do cr.MK into hadoken, it’s not safe on block anymore and that’s fucking me up. I always default to doing that lol, I either get punished on block or DI.

Speaking of Ryus cr. MK, it’s a decent poke, but so many times after a jump in or a short block string I throw it out and it doesn’t reach, it’s range is shorter then it looks. This his has been screwing with me as well.

Finally, the input short cuts in this game drive me a little crazy. Sometimes I’ll be walking forward and throw a hadoken but the game registers my forward walk and reads it as me inputting shoryuken instead. What’s even worse is getting a shinku hadoken when I just want a DP to come out. I looked in the options menu but there’s no way to turn off input shortcuts. Would really love this feature. Very frustrating to have a move come out that you didn’t want and then have that mistake decide the match. Obviously this doesn’t happen with charge characters, so next week I may just go back to playing one of the charge characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom